Start by marking “Because Digital Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Online and Multimedia Environments” as Want to Read:

How to apply digital writing skills effectively in the classroom, from the prestigious National Writing Project

As many teachers know, students may be adept at text messaging and communicating online but do not know how to craft a basic essay. In the classroom, students are increasingly required to create web-based or multi-media productions that also include writing. Since
Published October 7th 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published October 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Because Digital Writing Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because Digital Writing Matters

Joe Wood
Dec 20, 2010 Joe Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-work
A great read for thinking about why we can must incorporate digital writing into all of our classrooms.
The Reading Countess
"Why does digital writing matter? Digital writing matters because we live in a networked world and there's no going back. Because, quite simply, DIGITAL IS."

Having read this quick read (150 pages or so) in one sitting on the very night that my oldest son played with/talked to his lifelong friend 300 years ago through the X-Box, I did not need to be sold on the concept of the importance of connecting the written word to the digital world for students. Much of what was discussed squared with my th
Lisa
Jun 26, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gleaned some valuable information from book. One of the beneficial parts of the book is located in the Introduction (11) where the authors cite from the book Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century “listing the new skills of participatory culture.” The chapter on “The Landscape of Digital Writing” interests me because of the digital story-telling format. I am intrigued with the possibilities of using multimedia to enhance narration. In “Revisin ...more
Brian Kelley
Jul 02, 2011 Brian Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pawlp-library
Built more on theory and pedagogy, this NWP book provides sound, rational reasoning for building the digital literacies of ourselves and our students--in that order.

A generalization referenced in the book resonated with me: our students are "digital natives" and their teachers are "digital immigrants". I appreciate the idea that we (the teachers) are constantly working to fit in technology. The book goes on to point out that since 2003 when everything began to become networked and our cloud envi
josh
Feb 08, 2011 josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: educators / policy wonks
Recommended to josh by: saw it on the shelf at the library
this book wasn't what i thought it was going to be when i picked it up. i was hoping it would be a book on improving one's own digital writing, however it was an educational policy book centered on how to help teachers and administrators work within good pedagogical theory while using technological tools to their maximum advantage to better prepare students for the real world ahead.

additional, this book spent a little bit of time talking about an area of policy that's often overlooked - the cont
Mike
Apr 01, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only to the end of the second chapter and my mind is whirring with all the new technologies that I need to learn. I've never read a book about technology with such an impact on my energy.

And now that I'm finished...it was really stimulating. This is the companion book to the National Writing Project's, Because Writing Matters. This one, I thought, was so much better than their book, Teaching the New Writing. It does take us into classrooms and we learn about how technology can be used from h
Niki
Jan 23, 2011 Niki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
this book covers digital writing in classrooms from elementary school through college. with such a broad range of groups, teacher exposure, and teacher and student experience, this book focuses on incorporating digital writing into specific assignments through pedagogy. the background research on digital writing and digital literacy are not the focus of this book, so don't look for them.
Megan Adams
The authors make an excellent case as to why and also how digital writing can be incorporated into classroom practices. They also uncover some of the possibilities and constraints one might encounter and issues currently being discussed in rhetoric and composition field. I appreciated the straight-forward, concise nature of the text as well as the snippets of real scenarios included throughout.
Carol
Jun 14, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "update" of the NWP Because Writing Matters" is interesting but a little dense for me. I liked the classroom examples--very helpful. The best thing about the book is that even though the technology will be outdated, like, next week, :) the principles are important.
Paula
May 30, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Not only does this book give the reasons why educators should be embracing the digital world, it gives a list of resources for us to use as a reference. I just helped lead a technology class in my district and used this book as the building blocks. Everyone in the class enjoyed it and wants more.
Jianna Taylor
Jun 29, 2012 Jianna Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books effectively argues that digital writing is important and that teachers need to help students navigate these new forms of writing so that they can be successful writers and thinkers in a digital and connected world. A substantial list of web resources is included.
Buffy Hamilton
Chapters 1-2 were very insightful/thoughtful, but I did not find the rest of the book helpful--however, I think if I were just starting with digital writing, then I would find the book more satisfying.
Lynn
Oct 08, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
I felt that I needed to have read Because Writing Matters first, so I'm not sure how much was repeated material. A good mix of research, theory and practical work. Includes mention of MLTI and Dave Boardman's work.
Mrs. Krajewski
I got some great ideas for the next school year, but I feel like I should have read it when it first came out. Technology has changed a lot since 2010, so some information is outdated.
Erika  Forth
A great book about what digital writing is and why we must bring it into our classrooms and schools.
Lynn
Apr 01, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was okay,at times the reading was a little dry, but I got a lot from the chapter that concentrated on the e-portfolio.
Donalyn
Sep 23, 2010 Donalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great primer for teachers who want to learn more about using online and multimedia environments to motivate and improve students' writing.
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Jennifer Cataline Walker
Jennifer Cataline Walker rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Estee
Estee rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Allegra
Allegra rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Durga Kumar
Durga Kumar rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Laren Hammonds
Laren Hammonds rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Laren
Laren rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2010
Angelic Rodgers
Angelic Rodgers rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2012
Jeri
Jeri rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Digital Writing Workshop
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery