Start by marking “Fantasy Gone Wrong” as Want to Read:
Fantasy Gone Wrong

Fantasy Gone Wrong (Jig the Goblin 0.5)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Sixteen Hilarious tales of the paths that shouldn't have been taken Everyone knows that heroes should triumph, dragons should be slain, and maidens should be rescued. But what if things don't go according to plan? Here are fun-filled tales of magic gone awry, from an author whose unicorn protagonist takes control of the story, to a person who can hear food talking, to a co ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy Gone Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantasy Gone Wrong

M—
A real mixed-bag anthology. Many of the stories bored me, there were a few I really liked, and very little wavering in between.

Poisoned Chalice – Elf drops doomsday weapon off the edge of the world, but you didn’t think it would be as easy as all that, right? The spiders were pretty awesome. The names were pretty silly.

Battle of Wits – Author and unicorn...ish…thing vie for control of plot. Cute.

Hero of Killorglin – If the aging loyal hound of a warrior is going to go down, he’s going to go down
Diane ~Firefly~
I love the idea of re-working tales. This is a good anthology, with more good stories than mediocre and lots of twisty endings.

The Poisoned Chalice by Brian Stableford - ****
Cool concept. Love the idea that a minor character trait (resistance to peeking) leads to an all important mission. I did feel sorry for poor Umsonofer though for what he had to go through to accomplish his mission.

Battle of Wits by Mickey Zucker Reichert - ****
I love how the unicorn outsmarted her author.

The Hero of Killorg
Amanda
This anthology was a mixture of major disappointments and a few pleasant surprises. As the book description says, the point of this collection was for the authors to write an unique fantasy story that's off the beaten path (think movies like Shrek or Happily N'Ever After). The authors could have done anything they wanted, they could rewrite any fairy tale in any way, they could have taken any fantasy setting and turned it upside down. But few of them did, they wrote completely boring and unorigi ...more
Doris
This book wavers between "I liked it" and "it was disappointing". There were a couple of very good stories, but 2 out of 16 doesn't make it for me. I felt that the stories overall were lame and of the quality of a first attempt in a high school literature / creative writing class. However, the story "Crumbs" was excellent, as was "Moonlighting". I was in eye-rolling mode on the final story, and also on the pegacorn story.

Overall - good to fill in while waiting on traffic or at lunch, but not som
Marsha
When different authors decide to take conventional fairy tales and turn them on their heads, anything can happen. From reluctant heroes to friendly dragons to ornery unicorns, these stories are in turn amusing, thought provoking and surprising. Nothing goes as it should and endings may be happy but not always what is requested. In nutty tales like this, you learn to roll with the punches and take your happiness where you can.
Michele
I'm not usually a short story reader, but this was an enjoyable collection of quirky tales. My favorite was "Goblin Lullaby", if only because Jim C. Hines always seems to craft a tight tale. I rather enjoyed "The Murder of Mr. Wolf" as well, as I have a soft spot for nursery rhyme noir (for more, read Jasper Fforde's "Jack Spratt Investigates" series).
Hannah
I liked one of the stories and that is all. It sounded like a clever idea but when you read a book mconsisting of short stories you never know what you may get. Most of the stories used foul langauge and themes inappropriate for kids. Overall this book did not please me.
Bryan
I bought this in ebook format at fictionwise.com, but the publisher decided they wanted more money, so I couldn't download it.

Fictionwise refunded my money after a few weeks, so now I have to decide if I'll ever buy this again.

Unlikely.
Emily
Hit and miss, as happens in most anthologies. There were some stories I liked quite a lot, and others that I skimmed (or skipped). Most of the stories were short enough to get through in about five minutes--perfect!
Cindy
Multiple author anthology of 16 stories where magic/fantasy doesn't follow the 'rules' we all expect... Most of the stories were fun and likable and some were excellent.
Cheryl
Like most books filled with short stories I encounter, some tales are enjoyable and some are not short enough. I found this book had more that I enjoyed than rushed through.
Jessica Hollo
slow, not as good as the other story collections by this publisher.
Only really 1 good story, of characters writing the author
Nephlm
It was overall a bit uneven, particularly toward the beginning, but it evened out and on the whole was an enjoyable read.
Teresa Carrigan
Some of the stories are very good, most are ok, a few I didn't even bother finishing.
Kerry
A good collection of short stories with twist on the typical. Good easy summer reading.
Becca
The stories were okay, and often cute. I enjoyed the book, but probably won't reread.
Donald J. Bingle
One of the longest first sentences of any of my stories, but I think it works.
Sarra
As is usual for a book of short stories, some were better than others.
Schnaucl
I really liked this anthology. There were several highly amusing stories.
Kim
A wide collection of fantasy tales to make you laugh and think.
Diana
A good collection of humorous short stories with a fantasy theme...
Lynx
Oct 11, 2007 Lynx rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes to laugh
This book is sooooo funny! A must read for any fan of fantasy.
Carrie Anne
A nice, diverting little collection of short storie.
Tracy
Very funny and so imaginative!
Kaeli
Kaeli marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Shamona Hagan
Shamona Hagan is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Rayna
Rayna marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Sword and Sorceress XX
  • Misspelled
  • Enchanted Forests
  • Quicksilver & Shadow: Collected Early Stories, Vol. 2: Contempory, Dark Fantasy, and Science Fiction Stories.
  • Happily Ever After
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
  • The Annotated Archy and Mehitabel
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman