Start by marking “What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion” as Want to Read:
What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion

What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,393 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews

The endlessly imaginative duo who turned cupcaking into a national pastime is back, with utterly new, eye-popping creations anyone can make.Create a race-car cupcake,a robot cupcake, or ravishing jewelrycupcakes for a birthday party. Surprise the family withChinese takeout dinner cupcakes on April Fool'sor serve upa goofy chocolate moose.Captivate Momwith a bouquet of long

Kindle Edition, Kindle Edition with Audio/Video
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion

Linda B
Mar 19, 2010 Linda B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I found the most striking about What’s New Cupcake is the photography by Alan Richardson. The pictures are so vibrant and colorful that they almost seem to jump off the pages. This is a good-sized book, at about 9” x 10”, so they are also nice sized and detailed photos. The cover photo with the “Rubber Duckies” cupcakes is too cute for words.

What’s New Cupcake starts out like a craft book with a list of needed materials and tools. Nothing unusual is needed and most are items that would be
VegasGal
May 08, 2010 VegasGal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, read-2010
Wow, there are undoubtedly some truly adorable and amazing cupcakes in this book, designs for every occasion and idea that look super easy to create, but I hesitate and wonder...has anyone actually attempted any of these recipes, and did they come out as beautiful as the ones pictured? This book does give wonderful tips on the basics of making great cupcakes, like filling liners, frosting, tinting sugars and making basic shapes, not to mention the tons of ideas cooks can use to design shapes and ...more
Monica
Aug 12, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is the first time I have ever reviewed a cook book. I should probably do more because it is either you like it or you don't. So...I liked this one. It has beautiful pictures through out the book that makes you want to eat cupcakes and jump right into cooking.

The recipes are super easy to follow and they are all so cute. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to make some of these beautiful cupcakes (no I am not posting pics of mine ;). The book contains how-tos on actual cupcake batter, how to
Jun 14, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book is for people who are more into decorating than baking (the cupcakes are made of boxed mix and canned frosting). And the results seem designed for people who are more into cupcake-appearance than cupcake-taste. I mean, a chocolate-dipped Twinkie to make a cupcake look like a moose? That sounds both adorable and disgusting, right? In fairness, despite my love of cupcakes (very much including the boxed mix + canned frosting variety), I think I am too lacking in twee to be the target demo ...more
Robyn Hawk
Jun 11, 2010 Robyn Hawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't had this much fun since Hello, Cupcake!: Irresistibly Playful Creations Anyone Can Make the first cupcake craft book from the team of Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.

In the forward of What's New Cupcake? they promise fun, spectacle and ease...and they deliver on all accounts. This book leaves you laughing out loud - calling people over to look at cupcake art (be careful husbands get grouchy after about the third time) - and racing to the kitchen to see what ingredients you have on hand!
Avery
May 18, 2013 Avery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What’s New Cupcake, by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, is a modern cookbook designed just for cupcakes. It is a sequel to Hello Cupcake which is also written by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.

Karen’s cookbook is jam-packed with new and up to date cupcake techniques. The first few pages of the book include the basics, piping, icing, and what tools to use. As the book continues, the lessons get harder; such as dipping cupcakes and building structures from other foods. There is also a section just
Madeleine McKenna
The book What’s New Cupcake, sequel to Hello Cupcake, is an instructional cookbook on how to decorate cupcakes. With recipes and food styling by Karen Tack and photography by Alan Richardson, What’s New, Cupcake provides simple to follow directions for any situation and is loads of fun to read.

Each set of directions starts off with ingredients and what other materials needed to decorate. There is a picture of the final product that is helpful to compare your work in progress to. Within your cupc
LeAnn Suchy
Aug 09, 2012 LeAnn Suchy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Originally reviewed at Minnesota Reads.

If you give me a recipe I can make a damn good meal, but I’m not one of those people who can work my own non-recipe magic in the kitchen. How much milk should go in this? Is it half a cup of fresh garlic or half a tablespoon? What the hell is Tarragon? Trust me, I’m a mess without the written recipe.

The same goes for decorating cakes and cookies. I can do some text, but that’s about it, which is why I loved 2008′s Hello, Cupcake!. Karen Tack and Alan Richar
D'Anne
May 30, 2013 D'Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read the e-book version of this which included videos that were really helpful. The book also includes a lot of time and frustration saving decorating tips. The authors are more interested in presentation than anything else so they recommend cake mixes and store-bought frosting. And while I can see how store-bought frosting would be ideal for some of the projects here in terms of consistency and stuff, I'm a from scratch kind of baker, which means all of these projects would take me at least t ...more
Stephanie
Apr 16, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun cupcake decorating book from the authors. The ideas are truly fun and really get you thinking about making your cupcakes look as great as they taste.

I love their good instructions and their easy ideas of how to come up with all the different shapes to make ducks, Chinese take outs, mouse, race cars flowers, etc. come to life as a delicious cupcake display.

The only criticism I have is that some of the items used to create the cupcake designs, while edible, would not be enjoyable to bi
Elizabeth Elyse
Jun 19, 2010 Elizabeth Elyse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Elizabeth Elyse by: QVC
By my 3 stars - do not let it put your off, It's a "How To" decorate instructions and photo type book, So it is hard to rate as a good read type of book. I am not the gushy type all over the moon about things; I am middle ground comfortable, so when I am screaming and shouting about something its profound. This for a picture book and how-to was very good. I loved the pictures as did other members of the family. 1 in particular that has a personality of a storm cloud over their head: actually had ...more
Sydney
Jul 21, 2016 Sydney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book for both beginners and advanced bakers. The instructions are basic step-by-step, and they have pictures to show you what the cupcake is supposed to look like. I definitely recommend this book to all bakers and hope you read it because you will not regret it!
Therese
Sep 12, 2015 Therese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The designs in this one are some of the cutest, I think. ( I own all three.) I especially like the ducks and eggs. I would totally recommend this book, it gives simple instructions, and they tell you exactly what to do so it is hard to make a mistake.
Kendra
Nov 09, 2014 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cake-decorating
Great new ideas for cupcakes. I especially love the haunted house and the OH Tannenbaum cupcake creations. I got so many compliments when I bring them to parties. There is also a great April fools section that I need to try out sometime. This book is written for the new to cake and cupcake decorating with lots of shortcuts like box cakes and store bought frosting. The authors make it easy to follow the directions. There are also no hard to find ingredients. They use things like M&M and twink ...more
♥Xeni♥
Aug 22, 2011 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My older sister gave this book (and it's companion, Hello Cupcake!) to my little sister for her birthday last year... or two years ago. xD

Either way, I really just love paging through these two books thanks to the ingenious ideas that the authors came up with!

You think a cupcake is just a muffin with a bit of sugar coating? Think again! There seem to be unlimited ideas as to what you can do with a cupcake. Don't know any? Pick up one of these two books! If only to page through it and end up look
Kendall
Nov 24, 2014 Kendall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this whole series of cupcake books. Although I've only tried a few, they are easy to make. (Somewhat expensive to find all the materials, but easy to make!)
Ela
Mar 26, 2014 Ela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fun to go through and read! I made a couple of the cupcakes that they listed in the book. They were yummy!
Rhonda
Jun 07, 2016 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I own the first book and this one is just as much fun as the first.
Mckinley
Fantastically decorated cupcakes with how-to instructions.
Elizabeth
Aug 14, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant ideas, but not the easiest for beginners.
Lynn
Oct 06, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't tried a single recipe but what a delightful birthday gift from my bestie!!!!! So much fun to dream of laboring over these lovely little cakes! I do know which cupcake I would make first since my daughter and I GASPED when the page landed on mirror ball microphones and pink frosting. The creations are surprising and the illustrations make them seem achievable. FUN! FUN! FUN!
Amethyst
Jan 16, 2011 Amethyst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay I know it's kind of a cheesy thing to read, but come on it's CUPCAKES! Besides it's not like I read it just for pleasure I obviously also used it to make delious cupcakes and I plan on continuing that by making more yummy cupcakes! The ones I'm really excited about are the fortune cookie cupcakes, I mean how awesome is that?! =P
Janaye
Feb 26, 2013 Janaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some really really cute cupcakes in this book. I have yet to make any of them yet, but if you love to bake and be creative, then I would definitely look into buying this book. It gives you instructions on how to do everything that it tells you to do, and shows pictures of some of them. Its a great book for creative people!
Lisa Russell
Sep 13, 2010 Lisa Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More ideas to make themed cupcakes. I like her first book the best. This book has beautiful, full page photos and clear instructions on how to make the ones with different shapes. However, you may not want to bite into gum, a mini do-nut, a twinkle or a toothpick! The rubber ducks on the front cover are the cutest!
Elsa
Nov 13, 2011 Elsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book - I think the designs are very cool! It looks hard but I think it's actually quite easy.
What I don't like is, that they don't really give you a recipe - they ask you to use those 'easy mix' cake packets, I like to actually make from scratch! That's my only down.
Cheryl D
Apr 30, 2011 Cheryl D rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first one. Wasn't crazy about the vanilla cupcake recipe with buttermilk instead of water. The cupcakes were very firm, almost too dry. I think they want them that way for the heavy decorations. Lots of good ideas and tips, especially for projects to do with children.
Sherri
Oct 25, 2010 Sherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Wow, lots of ideas! I can see making these as a fun project, "show piece", or with a kids who like to be creative in the kitchen. Very inventive.

I have to agree with another reviewer...but do you really want to eat something that has been handled so much?

Christy
Jun 20, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun cookbook for those of us that are always looking for something new to bake. I never thought cupcakes could be so many different things like a foot long sub sandwich?...even if you are not into baking cupcakes, the spectacular pictures are worth viewing.
Princess
May 02, 2010 Princess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gorgeous book from Tack and Richardson. Simply beautiful cupcakes with easy to follow directions. My first attempt from this book will be the Bake-sale Pies. Anya picked them out for her end of school classroom treat to share.
Ingrid
Feb 24, 2011 Ingrid rated it it was amazing
The recipes and instructions are simple, and wonderful. I wouldn't have thought to use things like taffy and melted caramel squares, nor that they'd come out so nicely; marzipan gets to be expensive. Love, love, looove this book!
  • Cake Pops: Tips, Tricks, and Recipes for More Than 40 Irresistible Mini Treats
  • Cupcakes!
  • The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City's Famed Bakery
  • Crazy About Cupcakes
  • Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse: Cupcakes, Small Cakes, Muffins, and Other Mini Treats
  • 500 Cupcakes: The Only Cupcake Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Series Cookbooks)
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Cupcakes!: From the Cake Mix Doctor
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Cutie Pies: 40 Sweet, Savory, and Adorable Recipes
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • More From Magnolia: Recipes from the World Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen
  • Cookie Craft: From Baking to Luster Dust, Designs and Techniques for Creative Cookie Occasions
Karen Tack is the coauthor of the New York Times best-selling Hello, Cupcake! She is a cooking teacher and a food stylist and has created cupcakes and other desserts for the covers of many of America's top magazines, including Bon Appétit, Gourmet, Cook's, Good Housekeeping, Family Circle, Every Day with Rachael Ray, Woman's Day, Martha Stewart Living, Parents, Real Simple, Family Fun, and All You ...more
More about Karen Tack...