Start by marking “The Modern Scholar: Evolutionary Psychology I: The Science of Human Nature” as Want to Read:
The Modern Scholar: Evolutionary Psychology I: The Science of Human Nature

The Modern Scholar: Evolutionary Psychology I: The Science of Human Nature

Why do we do what we do?" In this thought-provoking series of lectures, Professor Allen D. MacNeill examines the surprising - and sometimes unsettling - answers to this most basic of human questions. The remarkable new field of evolutionary psychology takes a scientific approach to the evolution of human nature. Analyzing human behavior in relation to food, clothing, ...more
Audio CD
Published September 13th 2010 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about The Modern Scholar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern Scholar

Mohamed al-Jamri
Jan 22, 2016 Mohamed al-Jamri rated it really liked it
هذا التقييم هو للجزئين الأول والثاني من سلسلة المحاضرات هذه حول علم النفس التطوري والطبيعة البشرية

ابتدأ ولعي بعلم النفس التطوري بعد فترة بسيطة من فهمي لما تعنيه نظرية التطورحقاً. منذ ذلك الحين قرأت عدداً من الكتب التي تتطرق لهذا الموضوع، ولكن لم يكن أيٌ منها بهذا المستوى من الشمولية كهذه السلسلة. لكي تفهم هذه السلسلة بشكل أكبر وتستطيع تقدير أهمية هذا الموضوع، لا بد أن تمتلك فهماً قوياً ومحكماً لعملية الانتخاب الطبيعي وكيف تعمل، المحاضر يشرح هذا باختصار ولكن هذا ليس هو محور الكتاب. اقترح قراءة ال
Ted Trembinski
Dec 10, 2010 Ted Trembinski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, book
This set of lectures and associated reading what exactly what I was looking to consume.

This is essentially a Cornell course. I have take courses in college which require less work and less critical thinking than this one. If you are as genuinely interested in this subject matter, like me, then you will be all about this.

How did this: Listened to a section at a time, then re-read it on the pdf. Then, I would write out answers to all of the questions, and visit all websites. You can bang out a cha
Morgan Blackledge
Feb 03, 2014 Morgan Blackledge rated it it was amazing
Screener level 1: Nothing in biology makes sense outside of the framework of evolution (If your religious or political beliefs haven't stopped you from continuing to read, than continue to level two).

Screener level 2: Human thought, emotions and behavior are biological phenomena, emerging from our nervous systems (i.e. brains, extended nervous systems, neurochemistry, hormones etc, interacting with the environmental context, which includes other humans (still with me? Go to screener level 3).

Sc
Troy Blackford
Jan 14, 2014 Troy Blackford rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource introducing key concepts of the field of Evolutionary Psychology. I've done a lot of reading in this area prior to this, so it was easy for me to follow. I greatly enjoyed the presentation of this material and the extent of the information. I will definitely be getting the 'Evolutionary Psychology II' course.

If you ever wondered why people behave the way they do, I believe that this field can shed more light on that topic than anything else you can study.
Summer Derrick
Apr 12, 2011 Summer Derrick rated it it was ok
So far so good. We will see how this goes. This one is a little harder to listen to and pay attention so it might be slow.
Elena Newton
Sep 23, 2014 Elena Newton rated it it was ok
This entire series of lectures came across like a long-winded excuse on why the world should just accept - and condone - that men are promiscuous; and that women are supposed to marry (or join into a partnership) for stability, but conceive through "covert extramarital activities", then be content with knowing that they get to raise their children / grandchildren because their "social mate" is well-off.

It makes women sound opportunistic, condones men and women being dishonest, and makes it soun
G
Apr 21, 2015 G rated it liked it
Shelves: anthropology
JUDITH RICH HARRIS said:
“Beauty is truth, truth beauty,” said John Keats. But what did he know? Keats was a poet, not a scientist. In the world that scientists inhabit, truth is not always beautiful or elegant, though it may be deep. In fact, it’s my impression that the deeper an explanation goes, the less likely it is to be beautiful or elegant."
Sometimes I do feel the awkwardness of some of scientific truths, but no matter what weird is, if passed the peer review - there is nothing to argue wi
George Slade
Jan 13, 2014 George Slade rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Very broad themes in this one. It was informative to a point, but I am looking forward to seeing if part 2 gets deeper into this. Also, this whole "science" is very reliant on accepting theories with only a small amount of conclusive data.

Edit: 01/13/2014

I will give this series of lectures credit for a very good description and explanation of Darwin's theory of natural selection. If nothing else, I am glad to have been exposed to that part. I left this feeling like I had a better understanding
Benthemeek
Aug 05, 2015 Benthemeek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I have read many books on this topic and was glad to read (audio) this lecture series that ties so many things I regularly read about into a coherent subject and heading. I love how the lecturer explains "is-ness" vs. "ought-ness". Just because humans have evolved with a lot of behavior that is morally "wrong" to our modern sensibilities, does not mean that is the way things "ought" to be. I listened to part 2 directly after and will be posting this review for that as well.
Anthony Tenaglier
Nov 06, 2012 Anthony Tenaglier rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology
Wasn't that into it. I would recommend listening to modern scholar: philosophy of mind for a more fundamental assessment of a possible explanation of who we are.
Lukas Lovas
Lukas Lovas rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
PaleoAnthropology+
PaleoAnthropology+ rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Robin Ducret
Robin Ducret rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Kirill
Kirill rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Borjana
Borjana rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Mark Jensen
Mark Jensen rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2011
Leif Denti
Leif Denti rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Bryan Vorkapich
Bryan Vorkapich rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2013
J.L. MacLaren
J.L. MacLaren rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Hadi
Hadi rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Rebecca Camp
Rebecca Camp rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Laurel
Laurel rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Gaines
Gaines rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Zul Fajri
Zul Fajri rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Richard Lidster
Richard Lidster rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015