Start by marking “Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work” as Want to Read:
Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work
Preview

Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Written as an engaging fable, Adams encourages readers to take charge of their thinking in order to accomplish goals, improve relationships, advance careers, investigate new territories, and in general gain greater life satisfaction.150 pp.
Published July 1st 2004 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published May 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Change Your Questions, Change Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Your Questions, Change Your Life

Kim Haring
This book provides useful tools for replacing a defeated mentality with a learner mentality. Practical, insightful. Easy read. Highly recommend it!
Audiaa
This book reads much like an infomercial where a 'random' audience member comes up on stage to proclaim over-enthusiastically how wonderful this product that they have never seen before now is. The unrealistic like writing style of this book, made it difficult for me to get through. The concepts in this self-help book were introduced through a story about an average man working for an average company. He likes always having the answers and is having some problems getting along with and managing ...more
Rosanne
Two is a harsh rating. I'd rate this more along the lines of 2.5. I had to read this for a leadership workshop for work. Much like with the Freud that I recently read for a class, I found that if I didn't pay attention to the details of this book but instead focused on the bigger picture, it made more sense and was much more appealing. Basically, the bottom line is one should change one's questions. Flip one's views around 180 degrees. If you find that you ask yourself, "What's going to go wrong ...more
NSAA Group
"Questioning" is a skill rarely taught in school, but doing it well - that is, asking the right questions of the right people - can radically transform attitudes, actions, and results. Change Your Questions, Change Your Life provides easy-to-learn tools that can make a significant and immediate difference in people's business and personal lives. Written as an engaging fable, it inspires readers to take charge of their thinking in order to accomplish goals, improve relationships, advance careers, ...more
Marci Stone
Quick read. Good questions. Helpful info. Helps a great deal with frustrating situations in which we block ourselves from achieving what we want. Whenever I get stuck in a situation where I replay things over and over again in my mind...I'll think of this.
Lynn
Common sense info. re: being a judger vs. learner. Always have that choice. Not new information but very useful and definitely hitting home related to a complex work setting I find myself in! Thanks to my husband for passing on to me after a related workshop at his job. Fast read with a helpful story of someone who learns this approach to impact both his job and marriage.
Andrea
Really quick read and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Basically this book is looking at how we process conflicts and problems. One choice is to be in the moment, wondering where it went wrong and who is to blame, but the other choice focuses on what can be gained from the situation and what the options are for moving forward. Very interesting read and great concept!
Nancy
Excellent book for making me think about my interactions and thought patterns, and sound advice on how to switch from a "Judging" to a "Learning" mindset. Great suggestions for opening up troublesome relationships and seeing new possibilities. Best of all, my husband and I each listened to the book on CDs and found a model for improving our communications!
Deanna
I'd like to give this book 5 stars because the principles it teaches are indeed life changing. This book has given me a paradigm shift in the way I approach relationships. The way the author teaches the principles is through a fictional story that isn't written very well and is pretty cheesy. You could skip it and just read the "tools section" at the back.
Ngiamsw
Concept of Learner and Judger, and how we can accept judger, practice learner using the Choice Map and Switching questions. How we can 'catch' ourselves in time and 'switch' from a judger orientation to a learner orientation. By doing this, the outcome of the situation can be very different (and better!).
Jim
The writing could be improved upon, but the premise of the book is profound as Ms. Adams explores how the questions we ask affect every aspect of our lives. Could have been shorter and the telling of the story that frames her ideas could have been better, but her ideas are worth exploring.
Noel Arnold
Read InGenius: A Crash Couse in Creativity by Tina Seelig, instead. Adams' book is incredibly content-free. Might have been a decent article, albeit a short one.... I got only 30 pages in, but I'm counting it anyway. Believe me, you'd want some payback, too.
Vikki
Feb 24, 2009 Vikki is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this so far and I've found myself already trying to ask myself different questions. It reminds me a little of Tony Robbins viewpoint of "if you chose to react negatively--i.e., if you choose to be upset-- you will be upset!"
Ron
An interesting insight about how our thinking process really works and how unaware we are of the questions we are really asking. How intentionally asking questions we can change our actions and feelngs resulting in more purposeful living.
Lance Tachino
Good book to read regarding how to truly understand situations, people and yourself. By asking the right questions, it can transform your life.
Dave
This book made a lot of sense and it resonated. It's a slightly different riff on the attitude is everything motif. It's a quick-read too.
Heather Friedman
Change your life one question at a time. Break the judgmental and negative cycles of assumption by focusing on the possible...
Cathy
Good book. Easy read but some good ideas. Trying to incorporate them where applicable.
Brian
Good book to help question negative thinking and how to develop better inner dialog.
Jane
Some very useful ways of reprogramming how to approach situations.
Brandon
Great book about asking questions
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Toni Adams
Toni Adams marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Monetta
Monetta is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2015
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Janet Lim
Janet Lim marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better
  • Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework
  • In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Never Be Late Again: 7 Cures for the Punctually Challenged
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects and Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
  • The Referral of a Lifetime: The Networking System That Produces Bottom-Line Results...Every Day!
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? for Retirement: Planning Now for the Life You Want
  • Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
  • When She Was Bad: Violent Women and the Myth of Innocence
Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 10 Powerful Tools for Life and Work Teaching That Changes Lives: 12 Mindset Tools for Igniting the Love of Learning