Start by marking “Nickel City Drafts: A Drinking History of Buffalo, NY” as Want to Read:
Nickel City Drafts: A Drinking History of Buffalo, NY

Nickel City Drafts: A Drinking History of Buffalo, NY

Western New York has always had a curious affinity for the drink. This unique book traces Buffalo's history as seen through a pint glass, from its early days as a growing village, through Prohibition, to the current era.

Published September 14th 2010 by Western New York Wares

To ask other readers questions about Nickel City Drafts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nickel City Drafts

Puddlediving
Jul 13, 2015 Puddlediving rated it really liked it
This book describes the first of this region's brewers through the turn of the current millennium and the start of the current craft beer resurgence. The narrative is well written and easy to read. I have a much greater understanding of the influence of beer on the settling and exploration of our country.

I learned multiple interesting facts about New York. Ways that beer ties into the history in ways I never knew. A chronological timeline is followed. First settlers, the Erie Canal, Prohibition
Jamie
Dec 14, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local_wny
Not just a good read, but excellent. I could have easily flown through the 108 pages all at once had time permitted. This book is a fascinating overview of over two centuries of Buffalo's history with the drink. The writing is a captivating story, far from a bland history lesson. I can't say much more without spoilers so just read it.
Thom
Apr 20, 2013 Thom rated it it was amazing
It was cool to have a (small) book on the drinking history and culture surrounding Buffalo.

As a shipping port then and a frontier town before that, there were many reasons to drink and more people to drink with. We've still got some great breweries around town now and we're just getting some distillery action, so it's nice to see these industries coming back.
Erik
Jun 26, 2011 Erik rated it liked it
A very quick read, with fascinating insight into Buffalo beer, Buffalo history, Prohibition, and the Erie Canal.
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Rachel Nicolosi
Rachel Nicolosi rated it really liked it
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Charlie
Charlie rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 15, 2012
Lou Battaglia
Lou Battaglia marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Kim Kushner
Kim Kushner marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Kait
Kait marked it as to-read