Start by marking “La spada incantata” as Want to Read:
La spada incantata

La spada incantata (Darkover #13)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,509 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Andrew Carr, terrestre di passaggio su Darkover, vede il volto della bellissima Guardiana Callista Alton riflesso in una sorta di sfera di cristallo. Per trovare la ragazza decide di fermarsi sul Pianeta. Durante una missione di ricognizione, il suo aereo precipita e Andrew, unico superstite, viene salvato proprio da Callista, che si mette in comunicazione con lui telepati ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Tea (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about La spada incantata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La spada incantata

TheFountainPenDiva
I love the Darkover books but this one is probably the weakest of the series. While introducing us to Terran Andrew Carr who, while lost in the treacherous Hellers after a plane crash, finds himself being rescued by a woman he thinks is a ghost. What he finds out is that his rescuer, Callista, is being held by the matrix-wielding cat-men. We also meet Damon Ridenow, unsure of his place as former Tower technician and Ellemir, Callista's much more opinionated twin sister.

This short novel sets up T
Jimmy
Against the Terrans - The First Age (Recontact)
30 years before Star of Danger
THE SPELL SWORD: (view spoiler)
John Loyd
The cat people on Darkover have created a darkened land and kidnapped the Keeper Callista. Callista hasn't been able to telepathically contact any of her kinsfolk, not even her twin sister Ellemir, she could only contact Andrew Carr, a Terran.

Andrew on a mapping mission with the Terran Empire Service crash lands in the mountains. The pilot and the rest of the crew die. It is a struggle but the ghostly projection of Callista helps Andrew survive and find shelter, and finally make it to her kin.

El
Brian
I think the biggest problem that brings down any of the Darkover books is Bradley's reluctance to ever definitively nail down what exactly laran can and cannot do. I read this as part of an omnibus with The Forbidden Tower, and there's a note from the author in the beginning where she mentions that she doesn't really care that much about chronology when it would get in the way of a good story. And I can respect that viewpoint, even if world-building is my primary interest in fiction so inconsist ...more
Morgan Dhu
The Spell Sword (pub. 1974), tells the story of the beginning of the Forbidden Tower, introducing Ellemir and Callista Alton, Damon Ridenow, and Terran Andrew Carr. It begins when Carr, on a four-day layover at Thendara spaceport, goes out into the Trade City for some fun and patronises a "fortuneteller." In her "crystal ball" - probably a matrix - he sees a vision of a young woman which so captivates him that he immediately applies for a permanent posting on Darkover. Following a crash in the H ...more
Valerie
Bradley rewrote several of her earlier books to bring them more in line with the main sequence. If she did so with this book, I haven't seen a copy.

The Spell Sword isn't really enchanted, of course--there's just a matrix attached to enable the injured Dom Esteban to take over the reflexes of his less-gifted
son-in-law-to-be.

The Catmen of Darkover are almost never really introduced anywhere in the series. They're offstage shadows, mostly, blamed for breakdowns and attacks that could as easily hav
dogpossum
I'm _really_ enjoying revisiting this series. This one in particular is a really good adventure story. I really like MZB's male characters.

While Darkover Landfall is the 'origins' story for Darkover, and Hawkmistress! and Stormqueen! are set in the 'hundred kingdoms' darkages-type period of Darkover history, 'The Spell Sword' is set in the recent 'now', and I like to think of it as setting up the story for 'The Shattered Chain' and 'Thendara House', where MZB explores the female characters of t
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction and Fantasy Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Kenji
I'm a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley, but my affection for her rests not on the Avalon books, which I didn't care for, but her Darkover series. Darkover is a "lost colony" of Earth that falls into a medieval society. Ruled by a psychic aristocracy, it is later rediscovered by a star-spanning high-tech human federation after centuries, giving the series a feel of both science fiction and fantasy. Most books in the series examine this culture clash and this book is no exception as it focuses on a Te ...more
Mike Smith
Spell Sword is the 8th book Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote in the Darkover series, but it takes place earlier than most of the other books she'd written to that point. Only Darkover Landfall takes place at an earlier time. This is a good, straightforward rescue-the-damsel story. Unlike most of the previous novels, which dealt with the cultural and political clash between Darkover and the Terran Empire, this one stays at a personal level. For the first time, the characters don't stand in as symbols ...more
Johnny
Having tried to read earlier works in the Darkover mythos, I didn’t have great hopes for The Spell Sword. Yet, I had stolen the idea of a planet of psionic people for my Traveller campaign from my original encounter with the series and what friends had told me about. So, with one of my player-characters claiming origin on Repse (“Esper” spelled backwards), my “Darkover,” I decided to revisit the classic book of psionic civilization (Okay, so I ripped off van Vogt’s Slan, MacLean’s Missing Man, a ...more
Ken
As I go through the Darkover books in the order in which they were written, the quality of MZB's writing continues to improve, but the stories seem repetitive. A person from Earth comes to Darkover, is drawn unexpectedly into adventure, and subsequently decides that Darkover is his true home. The Spell Sword is no exception to this pattern.
I did enjoy this book, partly because (as I implied) it is better written than most of what came before it. Here, we meet Damon Ridenow, a bookish Darkovan wh
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. A nice little adventure story in the old Earthman meets alien culture mode - except that Andrew learns to fit in quite a bit faster than most Terrans, and Damon quickly takes over principal interest (Bradley seems to like these two-hero novels). One curiosity about this book is that Callista, the love interest, does not appear in her own proper person until near the end of the book. The rest of the time she is a presence in telepathic contact with Andrew, who is ...more
Data
I read this Darkover novel after 'The Shattered Chain', only because it came in a boxed set that way.

I could wish for a little more to this novel; this was my first real introduction to the cat-hags, and like the rest of Darkover, I'm still in the dark. I realize that in real life we don't always get the answer to our questions in one pat novel, but why have so little learning about these people, since they are so central to the story?

Anyway,I always iike MZB; there is always an engaging story
S. G.
According to the cover, this is Daw #UY1284, and date is probably February 1977 (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?3...). By the printing line, mine should be the 3rd printing, not the 2nd.
Mariana
Not bad as a Darkover book. Very well written. I enjoyed the building of comunication between the three main charaters. Andrew was a dreamer like Damon and Calista a strong woman instead of those tpic damsel in distress.
Marie
It was a good book, but the chronology is off. I wish it was more accurate in that one aspect.
Melyssa
This is more of a novelette than a full-length book, and as such it is missing a lot of the detail and richness that is usually a part of MZB's Darkover novels. However, it is an excellent book to 'cut your teeth' on and to introduce you to the world that she has written so much about. It gives a good feel for the setting, the culture, and a touch of the history. Not to mention that it is great when you need a quick, short read that will engage your attention and imagination.
Christopher Sutch
In this novel Bradley begins to come into her own as a writer. While there are still chunks of clunky prose (she was still writing quickie short novels for cash at this point) the complexity of her ideas suddenly comes to the forefront of the novel's plot: the interconnectedness of sexuality, telephathy, intimacy, culture shock and assimilation. This is the real beginning of the Darkover series as a truly memorable, awesome and important work of speculative fiction.
Erika
The second book I read from the 'Darkover' series. I liked it a lot and, just like in 'The Bloody Sun', I loved the fact that the main character was an outsider to this medieval magical world. It's a short, enjoyable read. I couldn't put it down! And, as the rest of the Darkover books, it left me wanting to know more when I finished it. The only way to learn the repercussions of what happened is to read the rest of the stories, I guess, and I'll gladly do so.
Susan
If you're going to read the Darkover novels, this is the one to read as soon as you've finished the Saga of the Renunciates (The Shattered Chain & Thendara House; City of Sorcery is NOT mandatory to the Darkover timeline).

Or you can read it before those two, but all the other "modern" books need to be read after this one.

Andrew & Damon, Callista & Ellemir. They're the start of everything that comes after.
Marcello Tarot
Prodromo a “La Torre proibita”
Non è un libro bellissimo in sé, ma ovviamente scorre in maniera più che piacevole grazie allo stile felice della Bradley, e fa apprezzare di più “La Torre proibita” (che già in sé è uno dei libri più belli della saga).
Recensione originariamente pubblicata su http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it/ nell’estate del 2010.
Gala
I liked this book, but I found it too short for my taste. It was the first I read by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and it caught me kind of off guard, I didnt quite manage to feel situated in the bigger story and that frustrated me a bit.

Nevertheless, the Darkover series of books is very recommendble. I enjoyed the ones I read.
Carol
I have read various of the Darkover series over the course of a couple of years. They are interesting reading when you just want a fun read. This one focuses on the psychic powers that the people of the planet Darkover have developed, the taboos that go along with developing the "gift" and in some cases the need to break those taboos.
John
1979 Grade B.

2013 Grade B. Book D5. Year 2035. This book is almost pure feudal fantasy. It has many half page long paragraphs of descriptions and dialogs (which sort of read as lectures). I speed read it pretty much from start to finish and could only stand about 1 chapter at a time. Never the less, I did grade it B.
Barbara Brien
I first read this book sometime in the 1980's, and subsequently tried to find another Darkover novel that I wanted to read. I never did.

But I loved this book; the longing for something completely outside your sphere of knowledge spoke to me.
Tim
Action. Adventure. Romance. Cat people. Good, not great. Okay, not bad. This book shows promise. I mean, I think I've got to read some other Darkover novels before I can really appreciate it. But really, a fun read.
Lcpatricio
Não é um dos melhores da série Darkover mas contém como sempre alguns questionamentos interessantes sobre uma sociedade com valores morais diferentes dos nossos na terra.
Ero
Couldn't take the evil cat-people seriously; every scene with an evil cat-man looming made me giggle. The sci-telepathy-magic is inventive though.
Chris Northern
This was the first Darkover novel I read; not my favorite but still a good introduction to the series.
Bill
Liked this Darkover novel and the earth interacts with other cultures/planets was well done.
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • Warm Worlds and Otherwise
  • Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains (Children of the Star, #2)
  • Sword and Sorceress 22
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • Times Without Number
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Isle of the Dead
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • The Sardonyx Net
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • The Fallible Fiend (Novarian, #3)
  • Skylark DuQuesne (Skylark #4)
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
  • Born with the Dead
  • The Prince in Waiting (The Sword of the Spirits, #1)
  • Empire Star
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Darkover (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Darkover Landfall (Darkover, #1)
  • Stormqueen! (Darkover, #2)
  • Thunderlord
  • The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Hawkmistress! (Darkover, #6)
  • A Flame in Hali (Darkover, #5) (Clingfire, #3)
  • Two to Conquer (Darkover, #7)
  • The Heirs of Hammerfell (Darkover, #8)
  • Rediscovery (Darkover, #9)
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) The Firebrand