Start by marking “Our December (The Making of a Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
Our December (The Making of a Man, #1)

Our December (The Making of a Man #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,335 ratings  ·  153 reviews
Sometimes two people fit together so well it seems their love was preordained, as if every step taken led inevitably to a happy ending. Deeply in love, Jared and Alex are such a couple, but the path to true and lasting love is rarely smooth. At 15 being gay isn't the best thing that ever happened to a guy. In fact, Alex Ross thinks it's down right scary. Then he meets 20 y ...more
Published December 25th 2010 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Our December, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our December

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Overall it was a very cute and satisfying story. I loved all the characters and the writing flowed smoothly. The story starts with Jared and Alex in the Future and they have been together for 14 years. Then the story goes back to the Present when they met and continues from there back to the future time. The style worked for me because they were not a series of flashbacks but a continuous story. (I don’t like flashing back and forth between past a present).

The story left me with some questions

(Would have been 3.5 stars...but that's Tony from Life Lessons on the cover in, what looks like the same shirt. I'm not ok with this.)

I have a REAL problem with the underage story line. I find it hard to believe that a good-looking, responsible, successful 20-yr old would WANT to be hanging out with an immature 15 yr-old kid as friends, even with attraction. And the 16-yr-old “age of consent”…well, I’m not entirely supportive of that either (but that’s more about politics than bo
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Wow, I don't even know what to say about this one... It has to be one of the best books I've read in a while. I got sucked into this story so fast it wasn't even funny. I was laughing and crying and my heartstrings were pulling so much that I actually need the next book in the series RIGHT NOW! please-2

I loved the way Jared handled Alex's crush on him. His constant determination to stick to his integrity and be honest with Alex but then watching as Jared's heart broke when Alex was forced to leave, bro
3.5 Stars - Sweet start to series between two men, Alex & Jared. Their relationship spans fourteen years, this book dealing with 15 year old Alex and 20 year old Jared. Don't worry there's no underage sex. That respectable quality of Jared's was a nice touch.

And before you trash this book for being sexless, it isn't. There's ADULT sexy times, smutsters.

Overall cute with a smidgen of man tears (luckily he was able to fix his face and keep it together)

Will I follow the rest of the series? Sure
Don Bradshaw
This book was a beautifully sweet love story written mostly as a flash back between a 15 year old boy and a 20 year old man. Jared Douglas is the owner of a construction company, due to the untimely death of his father, and is struggling to learn the ropes of the business world. Alex Ross is a 15 year old just coming to terms with his sexuality who meets Jared at a construction site. There is instant chemestry between the two but also the problem of an adult and an minor. The two settle for a c ...more
When I read the summary of this book prior to its release, I was a bit wary; mainly because it was clearly stated that Alex was 15 years old and Jared was five years older. While five years are not a big of difference when you're in your 20s or 30s or more, but when you're still under age, that kind of relationhip just scream wrong. But I decided to give it a chance and my, I was happy that I did.

Our December is actually opened with a scene of the day Alex turns 30 years old. And there is inform
Kaje Harper
This is sweet and simple, about a 20-year-old guy who is wise beyond his years, and the 15 year old he is falling for but determined not to touch. I read in one sitting and immediately bought the sequel. It just was exactly what I wanted today. Two really good characters and reassurance up front that their love will last.
This one was practically perfect for me. A true fairy tale romance lol.

The author totally nailed the feelings and emotions, not only of a 15 year old, who admittedly seems pretty mature, but also of Jared, a 20 year old forced to take on responcibilities far too early. I am so looking forward to the next book. I'm totally in love with these 2 guys, and Clarks pretty cute too, LOL.

I wish I could find the words to do this fic justice, unfortunately my feeble ramblings will have to do.

As heart war
This is a review of the series.

The books in this series are completely co-dependent. None of them are a stand-alone title which means that you will probably feel compelled to purchase the entire series. This is one of my pet peeves. At $4.39 per book, the price is quite steep for the word count. I can read 4 books from this series in one day.

I became emotionally invested in the characters Jared and Alex. Despite the fact that the story was a bit twee and some of the supporting characters a tad c

I loved this story, even though most of the books in the series are really short. This story is told from Jared's perspective, looking back on the start of his relationship with Alex fourteen years in the past. Jared was a lovely guy, kind, understanding and full of integrity. Alex was an impatient 15 year old, full of hormones, and pretty sure he was gay although he'd had no experience.

They'd done nothing more than kiss because Jared was honourable and had made rules for their 'friendship' and
Rigid rules. First love. Self-discovery.

I am at odds with myself over this one. It certainly drew me in; I couldn’t put it down nor stop the continuous loop it ran in my head for days.
I liked Jared.
I liked Alex.
I really liked them together….but it wouldn’t have felt so fragile to me if Alex had been two or even one year older. I get the importance of the age gap, but 3 years, rather than 5, would have eliminated my unease.
Does this make me a prude? I’m not sure, but even though I met my husband
I am lucky enough to have a pre sale copy of this as I have been traveling the publishing path with Diane from her first, and my first, day. It is being released on Christmas Day.

Diane has a beautiful and lyrical way of writing, her characters are expertly drawn - rounded and full of life. This book is the first in a series of books in the *making of a man* series. A look at the life of Jared and his Alex, the story of how they met and how they became AlexJared.

Beautiful, poignant, well crafted,
A very strong start to this series! I enjoyed Jared and Alex’s journey so far. I loved Alex and Clark acting goofy like 15-year-old boys and highlighting how much growing up they had to do. And Jared was practically a saint keeping his feelings under control around Alex. A very sweet ending with Alex showing up on his 16th birthday. Can’t wait to read more :)
Sweet and enjoyable little story. First in a series of books centering on the relationship between couple Jared and Alex, Our December focuses on this couple's beginnings: their first meetings and budding romantic feelings at ages 20 (Jared) and 15 (Alex). It's sweet and easy to read, and the characters are incredibly likable.

On the down side, I thought the book felt a little short and underdeveloped. There were lots of aspects to the relationship that I would have liked to see expanded. For ex
I have mixed feelings about this book.
There was such a great plot going on, it completely caught me off guard when it ended, just when I was expecting this to go on it ended, I was left open mouthed and kinda disappointed.
But it was pretty great.
So sweet and adorable and perfect.
Jared was only a 20yr old with the world on his shoulders. Then he meets Alex, who made him open his eyes to new things and possibilities. But not forgetting Alex is 5yrs him junior he's still cautious.

Hopefully the
Craig Sharp
Our December (The Making of a Man, #1) by Diane Adams is a well thought-out and written story. At the beginning of the story I thought I may be put-off, considering subject matter of the story. Diane did an excellent job developing the relationship between the characters. Not many authors would have attempted to write this story, due the complexity of the relationship of the two main characters, let alone pull it off with style and dignity. A special thanks to my friend Deeze for telling me that ...more
S.J.D. Peterson
This is a very sweet story of coming of age. I too (like others) was concerned about the age difference but it was done with much thought and sensitivity. The book was a little short so it's a 4.5 instead of a 5 based on that alone. What I read, I thoroughly enjoyed but I would have loved to have explored some of the aspects of their relationship more in depth. Guess I will just have to wait for the next book :) Congrats to a talented writer on her debut novel.
I liked this little story illustrating the immutability of love. It was sweet and well done with good characterisations and pacing.

Teeny, tiny note: "howl" is a weird verb to use for sex play...takes one a bit out of the story. That, and one less repetition of "you don't care" at the end would have done it; the reader gets the reference and sentiment.
Valentina Heart
I really liked this one. It was just perfectly sweet, funny enough and it fulfilled all the romantic points one might lack in life and loves to read about. I would have loved to read more about their past, but really, it wasn't necessary. The book is just amazing the way it is.
It was a sweet story! I really enjoyed it. I would love to revisit them:-)
I wish I had reviewed this book right after I read it, because nearly a month later, I'm afraid I'm not going to do it justice.

Jared is a 20 year old construction worker that quit school to take over his father's construction business when he unexpectedly passed away. His original plan was to finish school and go into business with his dad, but the circumstances forced him to accelerate his timeline. Unfortunately, without a degree, Jared must be twice as good as other construction companies to
This is the second book I’ve read by Diane Adams and her writing style satisfies that itch for light and romantic stories with solid happy endings. Some of the writing is jumbled and the POV jumps around a bit but the backbone of the story and characters are enough for anyone looking for an easy popcorn read. These may not be the most memorable stories but a quick, interesting read is enough sometimes and I’m curious to see where the author goes with this series.

Book One reads like a standalone
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
Jan 15, 2013 Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m-m romance, young love
Recommended to Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog by: Lara
Shelves: adult, m-m-romance

I almost always write my reviews immediately after finishing a book. I didn't with this one. No real reason other than I guess I didn't feel that motivated. Now, a week later and I can't stop thinking about it. The premise made me feel a little uncomfortable at first. That whole, too young to touch thing just got to me.

"Are you gay?"

Alex (15) is just becoming sexually aware and has no idea of his charm. He's honest, straight-forward and adorable.

"Hanging out with him would b
I am such a fan of Diane Adams. Our December is another winner. By reading the synopsis, there were many ways this story could have gone wrong. Not to worry, though, because Alex and Jared's romance was handled beautifully.

There are a lot of sweet and fun moments between the two. Apparently, neither one can bowl to save their lives. Alex's best friend, Clark, adds another layer of depth as he supports Alex through his crush and helps Jared during his crisis of conscience.

They are both great guy
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This is a really soothing story, told in a back-and-forth of past and present, nearly angst-free and chocked full of mushy sweetness.
What a beautiful story!! I started reading it and then, before I knew, I finished reading the book. I immediately looked for the next one, but unfortunately I have to wait for the release.
This sweet romance gripped me from the beginning and I really want to know what happened in those 14 years. How did Alex' mother react? How did the young love developped? What happened with Clark?? All these questions ...
I absolutely loved this book! Jared and Alex are just adorable and even though it's a very...simple romance, it's so realistic and emotional and was absolutely lovely. And Alex's friend and father are great too, very great supporting characters. I can't wait for future tales with these two and how their relationship will progress. Highly recommended for those who want a sweet, realistic romance with strong men.
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
This book was sweet, light, a bit sappy and short but I loved it anyway! I was a little 'weirded out' by the fact that we start this series when Alex is 15 but then I guess that's the whole point of 'The Making of a Man' series. How Jared handles Alex and their friendship is wonderful and it didn't feel at all creepy. I can't wait to finish off the books, this one has definitely left me wanting more!!
I was initially concerned about the age difference - Alex is 15 and Jared is 20 when they meet. But the author handles it well, and things are appropriately PG/almost platonic at this point, as it should be.

Really well written, my only complaint is that it is pretty short. I look forward to reading the next two books in the series.
This was a sweet and enjoyable little story. There are a lot of sweet and fun moments between Jared and Alex. I like how it story wasn't filled with constant flashbacks. You knew the point they were at in the beginning and from there were taken back to fill in the history. This is a nice light read.
The Making of a Man: It Gets Better, Jared ahead of his time 3 21 Jan 28, 2012 07:34PM
  • Talker's Graduation (Talker, #3)
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Wrestling with Desire (Wrestling #1)
  • The Decisions We Make
  • Trust Me
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Wes and Toren
  • Unintended
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • The Zero Knot
  • Sno Ho (Sno Ho, #1)
  • Slow Bloom (Slow Bloom #1)
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Prove It
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • The Angel of 13th Street (The Angel of 13th Street, #1)

The Making of a Man (6 books)
  • A Place To Run (The Making of a Man, #2)
  • Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3)
  • Clark's Story (The Making of a Man, #4)
  • If the Stars Fall (The Making of a Man, #5)
  • A Home For Christmas (The Making of a Man #6)
A Place To Run (The Making of a Man, #2) Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3) Last First Kiss (Southern Comfort #1) If the Stars Fall (The Making of a Man, #5) Clark's Story (The Making of a Man, #4)