Start by marking “Vampire Stories” as Want to Read:

Vampire Stories

From the bloodsucking plant in "The American's Tale" to the bloodsucking wife in "The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire," Sir Arthur Conan Doyle brings to life the undead like few other before or since. With a new generation of vampire books like the Twilight series and the Sookie Stackhouse books dominating bestseller lists, it's only fitting that a giant like Conan Doyle s ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Stories

El
When I saw this book in a clearance section, I was surprised. Who knew Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote stories about vampires? Being as large a fan of Sherlock Holmes as I am and how much I wouldn't mind making out with Sherlock Holmes, the only other Doyle title I've read was The Lost World which I didn't like as much as Sherlock Holmes. I don't know why I would be surprised that he wrote about vampires considering he wrote about dinosaurs.

But still.

Then I started reading these stories. There are
Nathalia
Desde ya les aviso que esta va a ser una reseña larga. Hablaré de cada cuento en particular y dejaré lo mejor para el final. Además, es posible que se encuentren con varios spoilers ya que es imposible hablar de cuentos cortos sin explicar gran parte de la trama. Si no les interesan las primeras historias, tómense el tiempo de leer sobre la última. Es imperdible.

Primero que nada, hablemos del libro, “Vampire Stories” (historias de vampiros), por Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creador de Sherlock Holmes
James
Apr 05, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampire Stories

I found this collection at a library and thought it pretty interesting that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote other types of stories in addition to his more famous work, the adventures of Sherlock Holmes, master detective of Victorian England.

As with other reviewers I have to agree that the marketing ploy by Skyhorse Publishing in this 2009 edition was quite misleading. Further dubious honor for this deceit goes to editor Robert Eighteen-Bisang, who write a brief piece on why the sto
Tony
Nov 06, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
VAMPIRE STORIES. (this collection, 2009. stories ca. 1924). Robert Eighteen-Bisang and Martin H. Greenberg (eds.) ****.
My first comment is on the name of the editor. I have never seen any name (with the exception of Goody Two-Shoes) that had a number in it. If any of my friends can come up with others, I’d like to know them. I never knew that Doyle wrote vampire stories, and, actually, they are not really vampire stories is the sense that we know them today. Doyle was good friends with Bram Sto
Dee
Mar 25, 2014 Dee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book when I started but ended up not liking it very much. The stories got very repetitive and I ended up stopping the book halfway through. I don't know if short stories were Sir Arthur's strong suit. Some of them I wish had been longer but others I could have done without.
McKayla
Jul 20, 2015 McKayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really interesting to read these stories having been an avid reader of the Sherlock Holmes novels. Arthur Conan Doyle has a very particular writing style and many of the characters resembled those of the Sherlock Holmes books.
Frank Unknown
Sep 10, 2014 Frank Unknown rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, horror
I don't really how know to rate this one. The stories themselves are all right; it's Arthur Conan Doyle earning a C+ or so. But the editorial choices, dear god, the editorial choices. I don't know who Robert Eighteen-Bisang is, or what nationality that frankly implausible surname belongs to. The blurb makes it sound like he's a bit of a vampire buff. Whoever he is, he clearly came up with the title of this volume first, and then had to consciously distort the stories to make them fit the theme. ...more
Lise
Sep 28, 2015 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this one. I definitely think there was something odd going on with the editing. Robert Eighteen-Bisang is apparently a vampire literature fanatic (Wikipedia claims he has the largest collection in the world), so this work was obviously a labor of love. His introductions are curious, they read more as notes to his co-editor, Martin Greenburg, as to why the stories should be in the collection rather than to his readers. In some cases they have little interesting snippet ...more
Catherine
May 21, 2016 Catherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the "truth in advertising" problem: there are no actual vampires in the usual sense in any of these stories. Which I could live with under other circumstances. Except that this was not the reading experience I signed on for. Admittedly, had it been called "Some stories in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has characters use the word 'vampire' in a sentence. And a mediocre pastiche story by some other guy," I might not have picked it up. But so are the contents thereof more accurately ...more
Bagtree
May 09, 2015 Bagtree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The stories themselves are standard Doyle, with one exception - but this is absolutely the most shoddily edited collection I've ever come across. Not only are most of the stories only tenuously related to vampires, not only are the editorial notes following each story totally useless, but there are huge and distracting formatting errors. It reads a bit like someone scanned in the originals, ran text recognition on the scan, and never proofread a single page.

Finally, the last story in the collect
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
The first book is by a master of the detective novel. Before Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about Sherlock Holmes he wrote a number of vampire short stories for magazines. These vampires do not much resemble Dracula but what they do have in common is animals, people and even plants that devour people. Not always physically, often times it is spiritually. From giant Venus Flytraps, evil, hypnotic women who destroy desperate men, to ancient Egyptian mummies who cannot die, the stories are different in p ...more
Cathrine Bonham
You read this and think that none of the stories are about a Vampire and then you read the justification that the editor wrote for each story and you realize that the definition of Vampire goes way beyond just sucking blood. A Vampire can be anyone who survives by draining the energies of others ie. psycic energy, heat energy, lifes bllod of even just stealing your happines can be a kind of vampirisim.

The best part is that four of these stories feature Sherlock Holmes. One of which was not writt
Amber
Jul 08, 2011 Amber rated it did not like it
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is, I think, at his best in The White Company. This collection just feels embarrassingly dated, from the American dialect to the tortuous and tortured sentence structure Doyle sometimes effects. Worth noting is his attempt to write a 1st person female protagonist. At times, the author cannot help but slip into 3rd person woman-objectifying prose; he really just can't help himself.

Inclusion of a pastiche at the end because Doyle never got around to writing a story on the ex
Bree
Dec 21, 2009 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, vampires
Not strictly speaking what one might consider traditional vampire stories, but most of them were very good. The 'vampires' range from strange medical cases to cover-ups for crimes to individuals that hold power over and/or entrance their victims, in some manner sucking the life from them.

The Holmes stories were very entertaining. The notes at the end of each story gave good insight into Doyle's time and his relationship with Stoker and other contemporaries of his.
I am also magnificently enterta
Misha
Nov 15, 2009 Misha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Conan Doyle? Vampires? Oh, yeah. I stumbled across this in Hastings' New Fiction section and just couldn't resist, especially since I had $45 in store credit burning a hole in my pocket.

"The American's Tale" -- A cowboy type in Old West Arizona runs afoul of a giant, man-eating plant. Rather a stretch to call this a vampire story, but it's a nice, pulpy yarn nonetheless. Interestingly, Conan Doyle chose to tell the story entirely in dialogue, mostly using the stylized dialogue of an uneducated A
Maud
Sep 14, 2015 Maud rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, horror
Pokud chcete poznat Doyla z jiné stránky než té sherlockovské, pak je to kniha pro vás. Ale pokud chcete upíry, můžete být zklamáni. S pojmem upír se v antologii nakládá velmi volně. V povídkých samotných toto slovo téměř nezazní a je tedy otázka, jestli byly jako upírské zamýšleny nebo se jedná o konstrukt editora. Doylův upír je parazitem, ztělesněním zla a ničitelem životů nevinných obětí. Editor správně zmiňuje postavu lorda Ruthvena, nicméně troufám si tvrdit, že i přes prvky nadpřirozena j ...more
Karen Gail Brown
In Arthur Conan Doyle's "Vampire Stories" , the vampire's are not the literal blood suckers of Bram Stoker's" Dracula", but villains who prey on the lives of others thus damaging their lives. The last four of the stories are Sherlock Holmes adventures.

There are ten stories and each has a prey and a victim: a woman uses hypnotism to gain control over a professor's life......a strange man insinuates himself in to a family and kills the fiance of a young woman to force her to stay with him....

I f
Marilyn Belsham
Mar 22, 2011 Marilyn Belsham rated it it was ok
I expected to love this book, because I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. However, the lack of passion that works brilliantly for Holmes, made these vampire stories a little dull. I may be tainted from all of the other modern day vampire stories that I adore, but I think it's possible many other readers would feel the same. There's a reason Conan Doyle is not known for these stories - it's because they're not that great.
Amy J
Nov 12, 2014 Amy J rated it it was ok
Shelves: sherlock-related
I am a little at odds on how to review this book. I totally enjoy Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes so when I noticed this book on the shelf at my library I couldn't resist. Titled Vampire Stories you would expect actual "vampires". There weren't any. Yes, you can logically explain it away, which they do at the end of each story, but a vampire is a vampire is a vampire. That said, I still enjoyed several of these stories and of course the ones that had Sherlock himself were spot on.
Cat Priamos
Rather difficult to read in parts - in part due to the Victorian English in general (also like when it gets technical with nautical terms or is written how someone's accent sounds instead of what the words actually are).

Not scary, but interesting stories. A definite stretch to call these "vampire" stories. "Supernatural Stories" would have been a better description.

Can see Bram Stoker's influence.
Janet
May 05, 2010 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-shorts
Of course, I realize that Doyle was a well-known writer before he ever introduced Holmes to the world. But I’ve never read anything of his that didn’t star the Great Detective. Doyle and Bram Stoker were good friends, and it’s interesting to see the influence Stoker’s masterpiece has on some of these stories.
David Holec
Abych citoval goodreads - "It was ok" .. Neurazilo, ale ani nějak extra nepotěšilo. Možná, že už jsem z toho vyrostl, ale co si pamatuji, Doyle mě vždycky hodně bavil a při koupi této knihy jsem neměl sebemenší podezření, že by to mělo být jinak. Trochu jinak tomu bylo, ale i přes to - líbilo se mi to.
Elizabeth Hunter
This was a very interesting collection of stories about human parasites of various kinds, written around the same time that Stoker was developing his own powerful characterization of vampires. It includes three Sherlock Holmes stories by Conan Doyle and another, in which Holmes and Stoker intersect, by Bill Crider.
Chrystal Hays
Aug 30, 2014 Chrystal Hays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection which shows Doyle's early work, and one can follow him developing his voice. Bear in mind, vampires were being "invented" in literature in his lifetime.
I subtract a star because the final story is not by Doyle; a modern writer homage, but not something I felt was needed in this book.
Elysa
Jul 21, 2016 Elysa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The stories, the introduction, and the notes were all entertaining and fun to read. I reviewed it on my blog at https://elysathebiblioblogger.wordpre...
Emily the Magnificent
"Vampire Stories" is a curious title, considering that this is just a book full of random Arthur Conan Doyle stories with only one thing in common: none of them mention vampires. I may as well compile a collection of meatloaf recipes and entitle it "Mermaid Stories."
Raving Redcoat
A perfect case of using public domain works to cash in the current Vampire craze. The short stories are, at best, tangentally related to vampire and vampirism. Nonetheless, the stories are solid, and a good way to see a different side of the author best known for a certain famed detective.
Angel Johnson-Brebner
I was really surprised that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote stories about vampires, and I was surprised to learn that there are many definitions of vampires. These are as much fun as any New Moon story out there!
Lexi
Dec 18, 2011 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several of these stories were excruciatingly boring. Yet, the ones involving Sherlock were fantastic. Guess that says something about this author's gifts...Holmes is and will always be his best (:
kt Sedat
It's a stretch to call these stories "vampire" stories. The editor had to put blurbs at the end of the stories to explain how this story was a "vampire" story. Very Victorian.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Black Castle (Don Sebastian Vampire Chronicles #1)
  • Arts and Ideas
  • Stand Before Your God: An American Schoolboy in England
  • The Science of Vampires
  • Holy Bible: Adventure Bible, Revised, NIV
  • Choosing God's Best: Wisdom for Lifelong Romance
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Dracula
  • Lee The Last Years
  • America: A Narrative History, Volume 1
  • Quenched
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Autumnal (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #26 Buffy Season 5)
  • Habeas Corpses (The Halflife Chronicles, Book 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Food Chain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #15 Buffy Season 3)
  • Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations
  • Why So Many Gods?
  • Well Wished
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...