3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From the bloodsucking plant in "The American's Tale" to the bloodsucking wife in "The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire," Sir Arthur Conan Doyle brings to life the undead like few other before or since. With a new generation of vampire books like the Twilight series and the Sookie Stackhouse books dominating bestseller lists, it's only fitting that a giant like Conan Doyle s...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Stories

Tony
VAMPIRE STORIES. (this collection, 2009. stories ca. 1924). Robert Eighteen-Bisang and Martin H. Greenberg (eds.) ****.
My first comment is on the name of the editor. I have never seen any name (with the exception of Goody Two-Shoes) that had a number in it. If any of my friends can come up with others, I’d like to know them. I never knew that Doyle wrote vampire stories, and, actually, they are not really vampire stories is the sense that we know them today. Doyle was good friends with Bram Sto...more
James
Vampire Stories

I found this collection at a library and thought it pretty interesting that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote other types of stories in addition to his more famous work, the adventures of Sherlock Holmes, master detective of Victorian England.

As with other reviewers I have to agree that the marketing ploy by Skyhorse Publishing in this 2009 edition was quite misleading. Further dubious honor for this deceit goes to editor Robert Eighteen-Bisang, who write a brief piece on why the sto...more
Dee
I liked this book when I started but ended up not liking it very much. The stories got very repetitive and I ended up stopping the book halfway through. I don't know if short stories were Sir Arthur's strong suit. Some of them I wish had been longer but others I could have done without.
Cathrine Bonham
You read this and think that none of the stories are about a Vampire and then you read the justification that the editor wrote for each story and you realize that the definition of Vampire goes way beyond just sucking blood. A Vampire can be anyone who survives by draining the energies of others ie. psycic energy, heat energy, lifes bllod of even just stealing your happines can be a kind of vampirisim.

The best part is that four of these stories feature Sherlock Holmes. One of which was not writt...more
Amber
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is, I think, at his best in The White Company. This collection just feels embarrassingly dated, from the American dialect to the tortuous and tortured sentence structure Doyle sometimes effects. Worth noting is his attempt to write a 1st person female protagonist. At times, the author cannot help but slip into 3rd person woman-objectifying prose; he really just can't help himself.

Inclusion of a pastiche at the end because Doyle never got around to writing a story on the ex...more
Bree
Not strictly speaking what one might consider traditional vampire stories, but most of them were very good. The 'vampires' range from strange medical cases to cover-ups for crimes to individuals that hold power over and/or entrance their victims, in some manner sucking the life from them.

The Holmes stories were very entertaining. The notes at the end of each story gave good insight into Doyle's time and his relationship with Stoker and other contemporaries of his.
I am also magnificently enterta...more
Misha
Nov 15, 2009 Misha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Conan Doyle? Vampires? Oh, yeah. I stumbled across this in Hastings' New Fiction section and just couldn't resist, especially since I had $45 in store credit burning a hole in my pocket.

"The American's Tale" -- A cowboy type in Old West Arizona runs afoul of a giant, man-eating plant. Rather a stretch to call this a vampire story, but it's a nice, pulpy yarn nonetheless. Interestingly, Conan Doyle chose to tell the story entirely in dialogue, mostly using the stylized dialogue of an uneducated A...more
Marilyn Belsham
I expected to love this book, because I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. However, the lack of passion that works brilliantly for Holmes, made these vampire stories a little dull. I may be tainted from all of the other modern day vampire stories that I adore, but I think it's possible many other readers would feel the same. There's a reason Conan Doyle is not known for these stories - it's because they're not that great.
Cat
Rather difficult to read in parts - in part due to the Victorian English in general (also like when it gets technical with nautical terms or is written how someone's accent sounds instead of what the words actually are).

Not scary, but interesting stories. A definite stretch to call these "vampire" stories. "Supernatural Stories" would have been a better description.

Can see Bram Stoker's influence.
Elizabeth Hunter
This was a very interesting collection of stories about human parasites of various kinds, written around the same time that Stoker was developing his own powerful characterization of vampires. It includes three Sherlock Holmes stories by Conan Doyle and another, in which Holmes and Stoker intersect, by Bill Crider.
Janet
Of course, I realize that Doyle was a well-known writer before he ever introduced Holmes to the world. But I’ve never read anything of his that didn’t star the Great Detective. Doyle and Bram Stoker were good friends, and it’s interesting to see the influence Stoker’s masterpiece has on some of these stories.
Emily the Magnificent
"Vampire Stories" is a curious title, considering that this is just a book full of random Arthur Conan Doyle stories with only one thing in common: none of them mention vampires. I may as well compile a collection of meatloaf recipes and entitle it "Mermaid Stories."
Angel Johnson-Brebner
I was really surprised that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote stories about vampires, and I was surprised to learn that there are many definitions of vampires. These are as much fun as any New Moon story out there!
kt Sedat
It's a stretch to call these stories "vampire" stories. The editor had to put blurbs at the end of the stories to explain how this story was a "vampire" story. Very Victorian.
There were a lot of fun stories in this book. A definite read for ACD fans an vampire fans alike.
Debbie
the short stories of AC Doyle which contain vampire-like strains
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Charles Turlington
Charles Turlington marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Micha
Micha marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II