Start by marking “The Anglo Saxon World” as Want to Read:
The Anglo Saxon World

The Anglo Saxon World

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

Had the Angles and Saxons not purposefully migrated to the isles of the Britons and brought with them their alreadywelldeveloped use of language, Angelina Jolie may never have appeared in the movie Beowulf. Professor Michael D.C. Drout is at his best when lecturing on the fascinating history, language, and societal adaptations of the AngloSaxons. He not only presents their

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published September 18th 2009 by Recorded Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Anglo Saxon World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anglo Saxon World

Rob
Fascinating material taught by a dynamic professor who obviously loves the topic. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could, but don't want to give it 5 stars since it's not the most exciting topic in the world--in spite of the fact that it's very well done. If you're looking for an introduction to Anglo-Saxon history, this would be a great place to start.
Brad Wheeler
Feb 03, 2012 Brad Wheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, audiobooks
Short, and to-the-point. Drout's an excellent narrator and his scholarship is spot-on. He occasionally gets into bouts of fancy, but is always careful to say if something he mentions is contentious or possibly false. This course ranked up with some of the best history courses I took in college.

As for the content, well. It's hard to dislike a people whose entire lives seemed to be lived in George R. R. Martin-land with occasional trips to Tolkien Country (in fact, Tolkien's Anglo-Saxon scholarshi
Howard
May 29, 2014 Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting overview of a culture that's not quite as interesting as the prospectus says it is. By this I mean it's not fascinating.
Maggie
Aug 13, 2011 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: lecture-series
these modern scholar lecture series are all worth listening to. the catalog is enormous and i might not live long enough to get to the large collection that i find fascinating. not only do i believe in being an eternal student, not only does keeping the aging brain active matter, but i legitimately am interested in these topics and the presentations are too the point, full of information, valid lectures that get at the most important points, and easy to listen to. totally recommended. a worthy w ...more
Mark Myers
May 22, 2013 Mark Myers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religion
As a fan of Middle Ages History I was really interested. Professor Drout is great. He's animated and enthusiastic about the topic. An historic linguist rather than historian, Drout weaves culture and history with the language study. He begins every lecture with a reading in Anglo-Saxon. He also strives to mention Beowulf in every lecture and begins and ends the series discussing Angelina Jolie. The last lecture about the heritage of Anglo-Saxon is titled, "From Thomas Jefferson to Angelina Jolie ...more
Chad
Sep 09, 2012 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History at it's best! I loved this audio-book/lecture by the talented Professor Drout. Filled in many holes of my knowledge of European history, and even makes me want to read Beowulf again! It did start to drag a little when he was dissecting Anglo-Saxon poetry, but his command of that language was enjoyable to listen to and very interesting. Even my 8-yr old liked hearing the stories and asked me to put this book on his ipod. I'll definitely be checking out more of Drout's lectures.
Angelina
May 16, 2011 Angelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is Professor Drout an entertaining teacher, but he makes things clear and memorable. I love his timelines and his sprinkling of actual Anglo-Saxon language throughout the course. For any of you not familiar with the Modern Scholar series, think independent study courses from colleges and universities all across the U.S. They are a lot of fun. Expensive though, so I recommend your local library.
Moominboy
Michael Drout is quickly becoming my favourite scholar. His lectures are always interesting, delivered with passion, humour and modern allegories. The only reason why I didn't give these lectures five stars is because it's a bit short. It's a great concise overview of the period but you won't learn much about the Heptarchy, for example. But that's the only drawback, really, rest is top notch.
Jrobertus
Sep 25, 2013 Jrobertus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I "read" this as an audio book by the author and it was great fun. He is a real scholar and brought the dark ages/medieval world of the Anglo Saxons alive. We learn where they came from, how their language changes with time and invasions and what their culture was like. In addition his style was scholary but wildly animated and fun. I want to find more of his stuff.
Pauline
Jul 15, 2011 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Dr. Drout has a phenomenal way with recounting history. He does it well and with humor in the way of Ron Weasly retelling his experience with dancing spiders...fun yet extremely interesting and totally factual. If you like knowing about the history of the Saxons, this book will cover all the bases without one spider web growing anywhere.
Carolyn
Nov 02, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this! Every lecture was informative, but more than that, it was entertaining. I have never gone to college, but am very concerned with educating myself. I use the Modern Scholar CDs frequently and this one was, by far, my favorite. I confess to a history nerd crush on the professor.
Can't wait to try the other lectures!
Brett
Jun 08, 2012 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This college course possessed the rare combination of really well presented material, combined with very entertaining presentation. Michael Drout is excellent.

I've listened to several of the Modern Scholar audio courses and enjoyed them, but this is my favorite by far. Eye-opening perspective on history of a very interesting period.
Matt
Sep 13, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well presented. Michael Drout covers history and culture in appropriate detail and with enough flare to keep it interesting. My only complaint is that I had hoped to get a better idea of day-to-day life of anglo-saxon people.
Miriam
Aug 19, 2012 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I learned: Thomas Jefferson studied Anglo-Saxon and wanted it taught in schools. He also suggested that the new country adopt the German language to separate itself from the Mother country.
Johnsergeant
Narrated (or lectured) by the author. This is a wonderful account of the Anglo Saxon world and language. I did not expect it to be nearly as interesting as it was. He is an engaging speaker.
Pauline
Sep 18, 2011 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent and readable history of the Anglo Saxons in Europe, particularly of interest was the link between the Danes and the Anglo Saxons. Good read and all nonfiction.
Randy
I like Professor Drout. He is a good speaker and fun to listen to. Interesting background on the Anglo-Saxon world before the Norman conquest of 1066.
Randy Evans
May 20, 2014 Randy Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful introduction to Anglo-Saxon history and literature. Drout is entertaining as well as being a knowledgeable scholar.
Maggie
very informative. so many questions addressed and answered. good scholarship and history are indeed a help in this (post) modern world. recommended.
Rebekah
Jan 14, 2011 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was in school again...and in my favorite class! I also had a sudden urge to read learn Anglo-Saxon to read Beowulf...
Lara Thomas
Jan 29, 2013 Lara Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. Wished it was longer. Drout is superb as a narrator and his energy and enthusiasm had me just revisit this book.
LemontreeLime
This was a great deal of fun to listen to, and reminded me I still need to read the histories of the Venerable Bede.
Garren
Dec 21, 2013 Garren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-courses
I learned that I really had no idea what was going on in the British Isles before 1066, and now I want more.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 01, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is worth the price of admission just to hear this man speak in the Anglo-Saxon tongue!
Chris
Jun 14, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyable
Lesley Simpson
Lesley Simpson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Becky Damoth
Becky Damoth rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Marco Respinti
Marco Respinti marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Shay
Shay rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910)
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • The Early Middle Ages
  • London: A Short History of the Greatest City in the Western World
  • Faith and Reason: The Philosophy of Religion
  • Language A to Z (Great Courses, #2291)
  • The Skeptic's Guide to American History
  • The Art of Reading (Great Courses, #2198)
  • The Vikings
  • George Washington on Leadership
  • Fly by Wire: The Geese, the Glide, the Miracle on the Hudson
  • Red November: Inside the Secret U.S.-Soviet Submarine War
  • Moscow, December 25th, 1991
  • The Viking World
  • The Secret Life of Words: English Words and Their Origins
  • The Ecclesiastical History of the English People/The Greater Chronicle/Letter to Egbert
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
  • The Fall and Rise of China (Great Courses, #8370)
Michael D.C. Drout is a Professor of English at Wheaton College.
More about Michael D.C. Drout...