The Anglo Saxon World

The Anglo Saxon World

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Had the Angles and Saxons not purposefully migrated to the isles of the Britons and brought with them their alreadywelldeveloped use of language, Angelina Jolie may never have appeared in the movie Beowulf. Professor Michael D.C. Drout is at his best when lecturing on the fascinating history, language, and societal adaptations of the AngloSaxons. He not only presents their

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published September 18th 2009 by Recorded Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Anglo Saxon World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anglo Saxon World

Brad Wheeler
Short, and to-the-point. Drout's an excellent narrator and his scholarship is spot-on. He occasionally gets into bouts of fancy, but is always careful to say if something he mentions is contentious or possibly false. This course ranked up with some of the best history courses I took in college.

As for the content, well. It's hard to dislike a people whose entire lives seemed to be lived in George R. R. Martin-land with occasional trips to Tolkien Country (in fact, Tolkien's Anglo-Saxon scholarshi...more
Howard
Interesting overview of a culture that's not quite as interesting as the prospectus says it is. By this I mean it's not fascinating.
Cynthia Egbert
It is worth the price of admission just to hear this man speak in the Anglo-Saxon tongue!
Maggie
these modern scholar lecture series are all worth listening to. the catalog is enormous and i might not live long enough to get to the large collection that i find fascinating. not only do i believe in being an eternal student, not only does keeping the aging brain active matter, but i legitimately am interested in these topics and the presentations are too the point, full of information, valid lectures that get at the most important points, and easy to listen to. totally recommended. a worthy w...more
Mark Myers
As a fan of Middle Ages History I was really interested. Professor Drout is great. He's animated and enthusiastic about the topic. An historic linguist rather than historian, Drout weaves culture and history with the language study. He begins every lecture with a reading in Anglo-Saxon. He also strives to mention Beowulf in every lecture and begins and ends the series discussing Angelina Jolie. The last lecture about the heritage of Anglo-Saxon is titled, "From Thomas Jefferson to Angelina Jolie...more
Chad
History at it's best! I loved this audio-book/lecture by the talented Professor Drout. Filled in many holes of my knowledge of European history, and even makes me want to read Beowulf again! It did start to drag a little when he was dissecting Anglo-Saxon poetry, but his command of that language was enjoyable to listen to and very interesting. Even my 8-yr old liked hearing the stories and asked me to put this book on his ipod. I'll definitely be checking out more of Drout's lectures.
Angelina
Not only is Professor Drout an entertaining teacher, but he makes things clear and memorable. I love his timelines and his sprinkling of actual Anglo-Saxon language throughout the course. For any of you not familiar with the Modern Scholar series, think independent study courses from colleges and universities all across the U.S. They are a lot of fun. Expensive though, so I recommend your local library.
Moominboy
Michael Drout is quickly becoming my favourite scholar. His lectures are always interesting, delivered with passion, humour and modern allegories. The only reason why I didn't give these lectures five stars is because it's a bit short. It's a great concise overview of the period but you won't learn much about the Heptarchy, for example. But that's the only drawback, really, rest is top notch.
Jrobertus
I "read" this as an audio book by the author and it was great fun. He is a real scholar and brought the dark ages/medieval world of the Anglo Saxons alive. We learn where they came from, how their language changes with time and invasions and what their culture was like. In addition his style was scholary but wildly animated and fun. I want to find more of his stuff.
Pauline
Dr. Drout has a phenomenal way with recounting history. He does it well and with humor in the way of Ron Weasly retelling his experience with dancing spiders...fun yet extremely interesting and totally factual. If you like knowing about the history of the Saxons, this book will cover all the bases without one spider web growing anywhere.
Carolyn
I LOVED this! Every lecture was informative, but more than that, it was entertaining. I have never gone to college, but am very concerned with educating myself. I use the Modern Scholar CDs frequently and this one was, by far, my favorite. I confess to a history nerd crush on the professor.
Can't wait to try the other lectures!
Brett
This college course possessed the rare combination of really well presented material, combined with very entertaining presentation. Michael Drout is excellent.

I've listened to several of the Modern Scholar audio courses and enjoyed them, but this is my favorite by far. Eye-opening perspective on history of a very interesting period.
Matt
Interesting and well presented. Michael Drout covers history and culture in appropriate detail and with enough flare to keep it interesting. My only complaint is that I had hoped to get a better idea of day-to-day life of anglo-saxon people.
Miriam
What I learned: Thomas Jefferson studied Anglo-Saxon and wanted it taught in schools. He also suggested that the new country adopt the German language to separate itself from the Mother country.
Johnsergeant
Narrated (or lectured) by the author. This is a wonderful account of the Anglo Saxon world and language. I did not expect it to be nearly as interesting as it was. He is an engaging speaker.
Pauline
Excellent and readable history of the Anglo Saxons in Europe, particularly of interest was the link between the Danes and the Anglo Saxons. Good read and all nonfiction.
Randy
I like Professor Drout. He is a good speaker and fun to listen to. Interesting background on the Anglo-Saxon world before the Norman conquest of 1066.
Randy Evans
A delightful introduction to Anglo-Saxon history and literature. Drout is entertaining as well as being a knowledgeable scholar.
Maggie
very informative. so many questions addressed and answered. good scholarship and history are indeed a help in this (post) modern world. recommended.
Rebekah
I felt like I was in school again...and in my favorite class! I also had a sudden urge to read learn Anglo-Saxon to read Beowulf...
Lara Thomas
Loved this. Wished it was longer. Drout is superb as a narrator and his energy and enthusiasm had me just revisit this book.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This was a great deal of fun to listen to, and reminded me I still need to read the histories of the Venerable Bede.
Garren
I learned that I really had no idea what was going on in the British Isles before 1066, and now I want more.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael D.C. Drout is a Professor of English at Wheaton College.
More about Michael D.C. Drout...
Writing, Rhetoric, and the Art of Persuasion (The Modern Scholar: Way with Words, Vol. 1) From Here To Infinity: An Exploration of Science Fiction Literature (The Modern Scholar) Rings, Swords, and Monsters: Exploring Fantasy Literature A History of the English Language (Modern Scholar) Understanding Grammar for Powerful Communication (The Modern Scholar: Way with Words, Vol. 3)