Start by marking “My Monastery Is a Minivan: 35 Stories from a Real Life” as Want to Read:
My Monastery Is a Minivan: 35 Stories from a Real Life

My Monastery Is a Minivan: 35 Stories from a Real Life

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
One person’s car pool is another person’s pilgrimage

In My Monastery Is a Minivan, Denise Roy offers thirty-five entertaining and touching stories that show how family moments can bring the greatest spiritual rewards. We find everything we need for spiritual growth as we picnic with the children, go to the grocery store, and pick up the morning paper. Denise’s intimate
Published September 1st 2001 by Loyola Press (first published July 2001)

To ask other readers questions about My Monastery Is a Minivan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Monastery Is a Minivan

Dawn
Feb 06, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, so easy to just pick up, for a quick pick me up, funny and insightful, this lady knows what she is talking about, the big question is did I listen, do we ever listen. I listened to her once at a retreat in Danville and it's not anything new that she said, but in a nutshell, your household chores can wait, your children cannot, get on the floor and play with them!!
Marie
Jun 03, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it

I discovered this book when I read a review for one of Denise Roy's more recent books (Momfulness)...and being a chronological-type reader, I decided to start with this one. Plus as a new (initially reluctant) minivan parent, I liked the title, which comes from Roy's childhood desire to become a nun.

As you might guess, she didn't become a nun--instead she became a mom to three sons and one daughter. She also has an M.Div. and is a psychotherapist and spiri
Jennie Fox
Aug 29, 2013 Jennie Fox rated it it was amazing
Great stories told from a real mom in real life and it is what we all experience everyday we allow ourselves to open our eyes to it. I discovered when my daughter was at a very young age that I will learn more about spirituality from her than anywhere else. That coming from someone who loved religion classes in college, went to church every Sunday and not always the same church or even the same religion. There is something so raw and so enlightening about the questions and answers exchanged when ...more
Christine
Jan 17, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
anecdotes from the author's life: she went to seminary intending to become a religious, though that did not work out, it and her upbringing gave her insights into God in the everyday
Helen Juarez
Oct 01, 2014 Helen Juarez rated it it was amazing
A fast, hysterical, honest account of motherhood. Particularly relevant to moms of boys, but with the read for anyone. A must read.
Dana
May 31, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dana by: Linda Yeager
This book consists of 35 separate, inspirational stories that everyone should be able to relate to in one way or another. I liked the fact that these stories don't have to be read in a quick, cover-to-cover fashion. The reader can feel free to take their time with this book and read a couple of stories here or there. This is a great book to just keep on your nightstand for times when you may need some uplifting or happy thoughts!
Amy
Jan 12, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I was hooked by the author's backstory--she was studying to become a priest in hopes that the Catholic church would change its ways. Now she has 4 kids and looks for deeper meaning and meditations in her family-focused life. The book feels a little too train-of-thought-driven and disjointed at times, *yet* I found many gems and ways of considering things that are continuing to be valuable to me. It's our spring Mary Circle book.
Suzan
Jul 22, 2015 Suzan rated it really liked it
Given this to read after surgery and it was a fun book. Easy to pick up read a little and set down again.
Jan 27, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this book several years back. I remember that I enjoyed it, although I think some of the later chapters were a little too "profound" and weighty for me to really relate to. But, I remember laughing and enjoying her honesty about the challenge of keeping our sanity in the midst of motherhood.
Sep 19, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
The cheesy title doesn't do this book justice. It's an honest, reflective compilation of stories on spirituality and motherhood. Easy to read one a day when you have just a bit of time.
Cat
Aug 05, 2012 Cat rated it liked it
Great little tidbits on spirituality and parenting. I particularly liked "I'M Not Nice Any More, Married, and Earth Lessons." Thanks Denise Roy for sharing your stories.
Brandi
Sep 28, 2007 Brandi rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this book...i've never read anything that allows me to feel as i do, especially as a mother. she really helps all of us mummies off the hook. READ IT!
Ivana Henry
Aug 20, 2012 Ivana Henry rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and it's a must read for new moms or moms with young kids. It was a great pick me up book and the messages stayed with me.
Melanie
What an interesting read!
Thought-provoking, honest and spiritual.
Exemplifies the power of your thoughts in reshaping attitudes.
Cecilia
May 24, 2007 Cecilia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mothers Everywhere
Shelves: non-fiction
This book taught me to slow down and enjoy the little moments in parenting, and the sprituality in those moments as mother and child.
Tom
Feb 05, 2008 Tom rated it it was amazing
Written by a Sutter parent! Moving, insightful stories about life and faith.
May 07, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
This really spoke to my heart. THIS is spirituality that I can do!
Lacey
Aug 15, 2009 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Great stories!
Jen Simmons
Jen Simmons marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Maggie
Maggie is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2016
Liz Funke
Liz Funke is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Melissa J
Melissa J marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016