Start by marking “Der Ruf der Wildnis” as Want to Read:
Der Ruf der Wildnis

Read Book* *Different edition

Der Ruf der Wildnis

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  239,339 Ratings  ·  6,438 Reviews
Jack Londons 1903 erschienener Abenteuerroman, der die Zeit des Goldrauschs beschreibt, gilt als eines seiner besten Werke. Es ist die Geschichte von Buck, einer Mischung aus Bernhardiner und Schlittenhund, der menschlicher Brutalität und Gewalt ausgesetzt ist und erst durch den Goldgräber Jack Thornton Güte und Freundlichkeit kennenlernt: ein eindrucksvolles Plädoyer für ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag (first published July 1903)

To ask other readers questions about Der Ruf der Wildnis, please sign up.

Michelle I think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into…moreI think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into without some guidance. Children will understand it as a grand adventure story told through the eyes of a dog. Adults will see the deeper themes about society, human nature and justice.

There is quite a bit of violence in the book (dog fights, dog deaths, animal abuse), so that is something to consider if giving it to a child to read, as well. (less)
Bodhi It is a short novel, a novella. Some editions have only 100 pages! It has seven (VII) separately named parts or "chapters".

Stephen
REVIEW ADVISORY:

Please be aware that, while the following review contains a number of adorable animals pics, young Ricky Schroder, who starred in the movie version of the novel, will NOT appear...I feared that would raise the sugar content of this report to diabetically dangerous levels.

Awwwwwww.....the classic “coming of age” story, with the nifty twister of having the main character be a pawky puppy going on doggiehood. I really licked it liked it, so two paws up there.

BTW, I'm not going t
brian
Mar 28, 2008 brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a dog obsessive. i'm nuts. dogs are my moby dick. they're my opera-house in the jungle. if i had a genie in a bottle, i'd wish away all human life (including my own) so dogs could take over the world. wait. that'd be wish number two. number one would be that i had an olympic sized swimming pool filled with dogs and i could do a few laps. then i'd erase humanity. seriously. my dog is the coolest guy i've ever met, my best friend, and love of my life. if it sounds weird: piss off. i don't wan ...more
Bookdragon Sean
Men are so cruel. The way they break animals is deplorable; they use them, exploit them and abuse them all in the name of sport, entertainment and human convenience. Men are cruel. They try to conquer rather than living in a world of mutual respect; it’s man who has lost his nature, and he imposes such a thing on everything he comes across, but the animals will fight back:

“With a roar that was almost lion like in its ferocity, he again hurled himself at the man”

Buck is kidnapped (dognapped is
Ben Winch
Nov 20, 2011 Ben Winch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, anglo, 5-stars
I defy anyone - man, woman or child - not to like The Call of the Wild. It's the most exciting adventure, the most moving love story, the deepest meditation on a creature and its place in nature. If you aren't cheering for Buck the dog by the end of this you're either hard-hearted or a cat-lover.
Lynne King
“Love, genuine passionate love, was his for the first time. This he had never experienced at Judge Miller’s down in the sun-kissed Santa Clara Valley. With the Judge’s sons, hunting and tramping, it had been a working partnership; with the Judge’s grandsons, a sort of pompous guardianship; and with the Judge himself, a stately and dignified friendship. But love that was feverish and burning, that was adoration, that was madness, it had taken John Thornton to arouse.”

In reading this book, I had
Councillor
The Call of the Wild is the classic dog novella, the book to check out if you want to know how dogs were portrayed in classic literature. Nobody could deny Jack London's reputation in his genre, and thousands of readers seem to love his dog stories. He was certainly a good author, as it is almost impossible to think of any other author who might have been able to paint such a dark, realistic and captivating picture of the Alaskan landscape, of nature's rudeness and the frameworks of the laws of ...more
Mohsin Maqbool
I FIRST read Jack London's "The Call of the Wild" as a Classics Illustrated comic-book in the 1960s. I was in my early teens and was hardly interested in who Mr. London was or what he did for a living. All I was interested in was reading comic-books and enjoying them.
image: description
Finally, I was able to read the 32,000-word adventure novella this year in September-October. The book ended up in my list of favourite books. I also felt somewhat disappointed with myself for not having read the tome during
Apatt
Aug 28, 2014 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novels narrated from a dog’s point of view are rarities. I distinctly remember reading two, Fluke by the late great James Herbert, and Cujo by Stephen King (only partly from the dog’s POV). If the author’s talent is up to the task, it is quite a nice change in perspective (though I am sure you wouldn't want to read fiction from a canine perspective all the time unless you are a dog, even actual dogs don't want to do that, I have asked a few).

Set in the Yukon during the 1890s Klondike Gold Rush,
Scoobs
Apr 12, 2008 Scoobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scoobs by: Juliet Echo Whisky
Mark Lawrence
Mar 27, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remembered discovering either Call of the Wild or Whitefang when I was a boy and really liking it, so on finding this on our shelves I read it to Celyn (12 but too disabled to read).

I found myself translating on the hoof as the book was written in 1903 and much of the language is quite Dickensian. Celyn's vocabulary, whilst largely unknown to me, must be derived from books and conversations, and neither of those would have supplied her with many of the words in Call of the Wild.

I found myself
Char
Jan 12, 2017 Char rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

The Call of the Wild is told from the dog Buck's point of view.

I read this as a teenager but I don't remember much of it. I do remember that I received it as a Christmas present and that it was part of a package of classic books, but that's about it.

I'm glad I re-read this, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did back in the day,(if I remember correctly). I am not a person that enjoys anything with animal abuse and as I get older I find myself less and less tolerant of those sorts of scenes.
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این داستان، یکی از شاهکارهایِ <جک لندن> میباشد که از 7 فصل تشکیل شده است و <جک لندن> این داستان را بر اساسِ مشاهدات و تجربیاتش در "قطب شمال" نوشته است و قهرمانِ داستانش همچون داستانِ معروفِ "سپید دندان"، بازهم یک سگ است... سگی با ابهت و با تنومند به نامِ <باک> که بر اساسِ نوشته هایِ <جک لندن> سگی بوده است که سلطانِ خزندگان و پرندگان و چرندگان آن منطقه بوده است و در بین اهالی و همچنین ساکنینِ خانهٔ صاحبش یعنی <قاضی میلر> از محبوبیت و احترام بالایی بر ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Man can be cruel, especially where animals are concerned, and especially in the past before they were enlightened to decency toward our furry friends. Buck actually had a good life for awhile, but soon he was kidnapped and forc
Valerie
First off I should say that London is a great writer. This is the first book I've read of his. His description of the Alaskan terrain is incredible. I have never been to Alaska but when I read this book I could picture it in my head very clearly.

However, that does not take away what I think of the story itself. It wasn't bad. It was interesting, but I could not seem to grasp exactly what London's point was. Was it animal cruelty? Was it the wild should be kept wild? Or is there some hidden soci
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Call of the Wild, that manly man's outdoors adventure tale! Oh how I loved this story as a young teen. During New England winters I would even imagine braving the Alaskan cold, just me and my dog. My dog was a lab-spaniel mix with stumpy legs and a donut-gut from begging during coffee-breaks at my granddad's car repair shop down the road. She wasn't about to be pulling sledges through snowdrifts. And I was no more athletic. In fact, the two of us together looked something like this...

description
Carmo
O meu primeiro livro de Jack London, e não podia ter corrido melhor. Caí de chapa em plena natureza selvagem; como se tivesse atravessado em correria pradarias ao calor do sol, como se tivesse sido eu a palmilhar milhas com um trenó às costas levando com a neve e a chuva nas trombas, perdido o fôlego ao cair num rio de águas geladas, remoinhos, rápidos e rochas pontiagudas. Doeu-me tudo!
Doeu-me ainda mais a maldade humana, a arrogância do homem capaz de escravizar e maltratar animais, e emocione
Jan 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“He was beaten (he knew that); but he was not broken. He saw, once for all, that he stood no chance against a man with a club. He had learned the lesson, and in all his after life he never forgot it. That club was a revelation. It was his introduction to the reign of primitive law, and he met the introduction halfway. The facts of life took on a fiercer aspect; and while he faced that aspect uncowed, he faced it with all the latent cunning of his nature aroused.” Jack London, The Call of the Wil ...more
Ron
Dec 18, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, four-legs, audio
**Spoilers ahead**

The Call of the Wild was not the first book that I remember reading as a boy, but it’s the first book that I remember loving. I had a growing enthusiasm for reading. I loved dogs. These two things fit together. That was around the age of nine or ten. (A few years later, I would pick up Cujo by Stephen King. Another dog book. Not at all the same!) Anyway, the story of Buck resonated with me because he never gave up, and through London’s words I felt like I caught of glimpse insi
Connor
Aug 16, 2016 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is definitely not what I was expecting, but it was so good. Definitely not the happiest of books, but it's really well written, and it's exactly how I picture my father's dog reacting to those situations.
Lou
A poignant and triumphant tale of a great creature in the wild. He feels the bitterness and savagery of men and his pack, there has been a dividing line in his relations with humans by no fault but their own due to their constant usage of this canine Buck in work, in pulling in the snow, they have not shown any kindness, but there is hope he will soon be blessed with some.
One man shows a kindness that helps Buck, who has had a life of toil and enduring of hardships, its a warming to the heart to
Carmine
Jul 19, 2015 Carmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il bosco chiama

Restituire valore al concetto di libertà, diritto inalienabile di tutti.
Jack London ristabilisce le gerarchie e ridimensiona l'ossessivo desiderio di controllo dell'uomo: è la natura primordiale a decidere le sorti, ma senza calpestare a priori i "combattenti" sul terreno di battaglia.
"Il richiamo della foresta" è un intenso inno alla libertà, un'opera che ci riporta coi piedi per terra ed insegna a porci in maniera paritaria con tutti gli altri, non al di sopra.
Stephanie
Loved this story!!! (Although, not thinking for young kids!!)

Buck (the dog) was an awesome narrator and the journey of his life from beloved pet to back to the wild was an exciting one...

Jack London was able to evoke the whole range of emotions with this story.... sad, scared, excited, inspired... WOW!!!

I am an animal lover and some of the more violent parts were a little bit too realistic for me. Given that, I think that they were appropriate to the description of the life of a sled-dog in Alas
Andrei Tamaş
Dec 06, 2013 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Chemarea străbunilor" este unul dintre romanele la care, citindu-l, adolescent precoce fiind, am plâns. Pe lângă faptul că are un puternic impact asupra imaginaţiei, purtându-l pe cititor pe tărâmuri ascunse chiar şi literaturii, are o idee filosofică ezoterică: Buck, "personajul" principal al cărţii, reprezintă tipologia umană, care simte chemarea către rădăcinile sale, către originile sale... Aşa şi omul: este condamnat mereu să se întoarcă la originile sale, însă înainte de a se întoarce la ...more
Jim
Jan 16, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wrong edition, but after going through 10 pages of different editions with no end in sight, I got tired. Mine is by Random House in 2009 & read by Jeff Daniels (the star of Newsroom on HBO). Daniels' reading of this story is FANTASTIC.

I let far too many years go by between reads of this story. London paints a wonderfully brutal picture of the Klondike gold rush as seen in relation to Buck. He doesn't anthropomorphize terribly, but I found the hereditary memories of the primitive man a bit mu
Ioannis Anastasiadis
..ο Τζακ Λοντον διαμόρφωσε εν πολλοίς το προσωπικό του συγγραφικό στίγμα του μέσα από πολυάριθμα γεγονοτα της περιπετειώδης του ζωής, τις πολυποίκιλες νόμιμες και μη επαγγελματικές τους δραστηριότητες σε όλα τα μήκη και τα πλάτη του κόσμου αλλά και την πνευματική του αναζήτηση κ σπουδή στα έργα φιλοσοφων οπως των Νιτσε, Μαρξ, Καρλ Γιουνγκ κ Δαρβινου ..ανήσυχος κ τολμηρος από την φύση του κατέφυγε στα 21 του χρόνια στον Παγωμένο Βορρά κ στο θρυλικό Κλόνταϊκ κ επιδόθηκε όπως χιλιάδες άλλοι σύγκαιρ ...more
Chy
Mar 03, 2014 Chy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Invalid reasons for not reading this:

1.) Hundred-year-old-books are written in an inaccessible style.
---The Call of the Wild has a very accessible style, with beautiful prose and imagery---beautiful prose and imagery that's light and very accessible.

2.) I don't like dog stories.
---This is a Buck story. Sure, he's a dog, but this isn't a dog story. It's Buck's story. And he's a complex, sympathetic character. He just happens to be a dog.

3.) What do I care about the Klondike gold rush?
---Don't mat
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
For a children's novella this book sure packs in a huge number of ideas.

The story centres around Buck, an enormous St Bernard cross Scotch Shepherd, who is stolen from his comfortable home in Santa Clara Valley and forced to become a working dog in the Alaskan wild. The book can be enjoyed as a tale of self- discovery, endurance and survival. Certainly the first time I read the novel as a child I read it this way. However, it also has significant philosophical underpinnings, which strengthen the
Esma Tezgi
Mar 19, 2017 Esma Tezgi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jack London'ı Martin Eden ile sevdim ve tüm kitaplarını okumaya kararlıyım, Vahşetin Çağrısı da bunlardan biri. Kitap Buck adında bir köpeğin yaşam macerasını anlatıyor. Buck şehirli bir köpekken sahibi değişiyor ve daha vahşi bir hayata atılıyor. Artık o diğer köpeklerle birlikte kızak çeken bir köpek. İşte bu noktadan sonra Buck'ın içinde bambaşka duygular kabarmaya başlıyor ve en ilkel içgüdüleri uyanmaya başlıyor.

Buck ve onun vahşi yaşam macerasını okumak her ne kadar hoş olsa da ben kitabı
Carol
Apr 22, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack London's 1903 classic was a very tough read for me as it is pretty much non-stop animal cruelty that is often taken to the extreme, but, I so loved Buck, his unbreakable spirit, ability to adapt and need to please.

A worthwhile book that I would still recommend.

Uyên Khôi
Apr 17, 2016 Uyên Khôi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mình đã mua cuốn sách này nhiều năm (mình nghĩ chắc 3-4 năm gì rồi ý), và thật không thể tin được là mình lại không hề động vào một cuốn sách tuyệt vời như thế này trong ngần ấy năm. Cuốn sách là sự tập hợp của 5 truyện ngắn, trong đó TIẾNG GỌI NƠI HOANG DÃ chiếm hơn một nửa cuốn sách. Tất cả đều rất tuyệt vời theo cách riêng của từng câu chuyện.

Với NHÓM LỬA, câu chuyện kết thúc một cách hoàn toàn bất ngờ. Khởi đầu câu chuyện chỉ đơn giản là một người đàn ông đang trên đường trở về với các bạn c
  • King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
  • Irish Red
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • White Fang (Fast Track Classics)
  • Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3)
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Old Wives' Tale
  • Kim
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • The Rough Riders
  • The Prairie (Leatherstocking Tales, #5)
  • Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond
  • Zuleika Dobson
  • Sybil, or the Two Nations
  • Old Yeller (Old Yeller, #1)
  • The Song of Hiawatha
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 2nd Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #4-6)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...

“He was mastered by the sheer surging of life, the tidal wave of being, the perfect joy of each separate muscle, joint, and sinew in that it was everything that was not death, that it was aglow and rampant, expressing itself in movement, flying exultantly under the stars.” 1111 likes
“There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.
This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame; it comes to the soldier, war-mad in a stricken field and refusing quarter; and it came to Buck, leading the pack, sounding the old wolf-cry, straining after the food that was alive and that fled swiftly before him through the moonlight.”
273 likes