Start by marking “Eyes Of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)” as Want to Read:
Eyes Of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)

Eyes Of Prey (Lucas Davenport #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,268 Ratings  ·  437 Reviews
Lieutenant Davenport's sanity was nearly shattered by two murder investigations. Now her faces something worse...Two killers. One hideously scarred. The other strikingly handsome, a master manipulator fascinated with all aspects of death. The dark mirror of Davenport's soul...

This is the case that will bring Davenport back to life. Or push him over the edge.
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 20th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes Of Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes Of Prey

Stephanie
Feb 14, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid mystery - Third in Lucas Davenport series

Note that this review may contain spoilers for books 1 and 2. This is a great series that should be read in order.

I loved Eyes of Prey even more than the last two in series! The book picks up right where Shadow Prey left off. Davenport is battling depression after the battle in his home against the last villain. He is estranged from his girlfriend (mother of his child).

A chilling type of villain in this one. Actually, a pair of villains. Maybe the
Kemper
Most mental health professionals would probably tell you that a clinical depression needs to be treated with a combination of drugs and therapy, but Lucas Davenport found his own method of pulling himself out of a funk by beating the snot out of a pimp and then trying to track down a pair of wacko serial killers. I guess it’s cheaper than Prozac.

An insane pathologist, Michael Bekker, has teamed up with a deformed stage actor named Carlo Druze to pull a Hitchcock-style Strangers On A Train arrang
Obsidian
Jan 05, 2016 Obsidian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
This review spoils the events in the first two books in the series, so skip over if you don't want to be spoiled. Though I think I am doing a PSA by spoiling this book anyway, for those that may hate themselves enough to start reading this series.

After a brutal murder of a woman in her home (and seriously, I can do without anymore horrible murders perpetuated by men against women for a while now) a witness is left who saw the murderer.

Lucas is called up to help lead the investigation. The captai
Scott Rhee
Jan 05, 2015 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When last I met Lucas Davenport, the hero-detective of John Sanford’s long-running and continually bestselling series, I’ll be honest: I hated him. In “Silent Prey”, the book prior to “Eyes of Prey” (the third in the series), Davenport was cheating on his girlfriend, who had just given birth to his daughter. The woman he was having an affair with was married, and despite her attempts to end the affair, Davenport kept pushing her into it. He was a narcissistic and borderline sociopathic asshole w ...more
Brent Soderstrum
This is book 3 from the Lucas Davenport series. It is the best so far. I love twists and this one has one right at the end which I didn't see coming.

Davenport is down in the dumps. His former girlfriend and mother of his daughter has left him. He takes out his anger on a pimp beating him to a pulp. He finally turns to an investigation to help him get out of his funk.

Lucas is investigating the killing of Dr. Michael Bekker's wife. Her face was smashed up and her eyes removed. At the same time an
James Thane
This is the third book in John Sandford's long-running series featuring Lucas Davenport, and it features probably the most vile and complex villain of the entire series. Actually, there are two major bad guys. One is much more intelligent and much scarier than the other and, not surprisingly, he is the one pulling the strings in a series of murders inspired by the old Alfred Hitchcock film, "Strangers on a Train."

The mastermind's plan goes awry right from the start and the bad guys are left scra
Kennedy
aPriL does feral sometimes
"It wasn't quite human, the thing that pulled itself across the kitchen floor. Not quite human--eyes gone, brain damaged, bleeding--but it was alive and it had a purpose: the telephone."

Need I say cozy readers will not continue past page 16?

Lucas Davenport isn't doing so well and he doesn't even know yet about the eye-taking murderers who have shown up on his patch. He's hurting over the departure of the woman and child he thoughtlessly treated like used cars. He is so down that when he gets the
Derek
Nov 10, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the long-running PREY series is a major improvement over the second book, which I felt was much weaker than the first installment. Lucas Davenport is in a deep depression following the events of the second book, and only a new love interest he meets while tracking a particularly bizarre murderer seems to pull him out of it. This book is much darker than the previous two, and that's really saying something. It's a much more cohesive novel than the second, and it doesn't get as b ...more
Tom
Jun 08, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very dark, violent - Davenport is sinking and struggles with a case full of near-misses and misdirections.
Daniel
Aug 05, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short take:

This is the Davenport story I was looking for! Bekker is, indeed, a wicked creation, and his scenes pulled me in far more than a villain's usually does. Davenport suffers some more, and I give Sandford a lot of credit for emphasizing his here's mortality so early in the series. This book confirms that picking up the Prey series was a good thing to do.

More thoughts:

Davenport is such an interesting character. At this point, he is 40, financially well off, respected on the force, used
Dr. Thomas Wasser
First let me say that I John Sandford and the Lucas Davenport series on good reads. It came up with recommendations and I have not been disappointed. This is the third in the series and I am reading them in order. This has been the best of the three by far. I do not give five-star ratings. Easily but this book was fantastic. I can’t read them fast enough.

No spoilers here, but the book is full of twists and turns up to the very last page. The book is of course dated because it was written a long
Mappi
Jul 23, 2009 Mappi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4.5/5 : Interesting

Plot - 4/5 : Amazing Plot development. A series of Murder in which the victims eyes are completely destroyed, sends Lucas to all corners withour any results, as the murder suspects have a very strong alibis during the time of murders. Driven into this web of chance, Lucas depends on the aide of an eye victness and the victims secret lover, the Loverboy, to get the serial killer. The main problem with it is, the Loverboy wants and remains a secret.

Writting - 4/5 : Mo
Kristin
Nov 11, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
This was a very long audiobook, something like 14+ hours? 12 disks at any rate. The reader has a very methodical - almost slow - delivery so I fully admit it was hard to just let the story unfold when I wanted to know what happens NOW. I'm impatient that way.

I read this one to tide me over until the new Virgil Flowers (#5) becomes available at the library. And because I'm slowly working my way through the Davenport series.

I love the twists and turns all the characters took in this one. Lucas i
Dana
Jan 25, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport is a Minneapolis cop who is burned out. He has lost his family and had a very bad close-out to a murder investigation. He is severely depressed. He is assigned to a particularly gruesome case. Will he survive this one?

Stephanie Bekker was brutally killed and her eyes cut out. The most viable suspect, her husband, has an airtight alibi. Her killer is a scarred emotional cold person.

A couple of days later the manager of a small theater is killed in a very similar fashion. The most
Melanie
My plunge into the Prey series began with Sandford's most recent book, Buried Prey. I thoroughly indulged in the book and got hooked on the series, but now that I'm going back and reading all of the books in order, I have to admit that Eyes has been my least favorite so far. While it is more complex in the sense that more than one murderer is involved, I probably didn't like it because there wasn't enough continuity between Shadow Prey (#2) and Eyes of Prey (#3). Lucas isn't in a good emotional ...more
Don P
Oct 03, 2014 Don P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Davenport installment. I found the mystery to be interesting (if brutal), and I enjoyed seeing Davenport put the clues together. On to the next one!
Yolanda
May 11, 2014 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport is back fighting crime and some personal demons. An interesting story involing the theater and medical doctors. It can make some of the strongest stomachs a little squimish about eyes. I liked the way it wrapped up in the end, nice touch.
Baz M
Apr 03, 2016 Baz M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars without a doubt for this one. I only rarely dabble in crime but this has inspired me to buy the entire Davenport series.
I think this is #3 or 4 in the series, but never having read the previous books in the series doesn't make a difference.

I love the characters and settings in this and it's a very easy page turner. Can't wait to read another!
Tim
Jun 09, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical well done crime novel featuring Davenport, his demons, along with a psycho killer or two. 8 of 10 stars
Rob Trans
This is from a compilation of John Sandford’s 1st 5 Lucas Davenport novels:

Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)
Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport, #4)
Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)

This is a brief review of all 5 together. No need to read more than one of the 5 reviews.

#2 was the best for me because it had a few political overtones. I thought #2 and #5 had the best story telling.

Most of these books have depraved villain(s) who do
Piker7977
They say that cat Davenport is a bad mutha...SHUT YOUR MOUTH. I'm talking about Davenport...we can dig it.

Eyes of Prey was a big step up from Shadow Prey in my opinion due to a couple of factors:

The villains were better. The odd duo of a handsome pathologist and a butt-ugly actor make for an interesting pair. They each have quirks which can be either humorous or terrifying. However, in terms of villains, Maddog still takes the cake from Rules of Prey.

Lucas Davenport is on the edge. By "the edge"
Kathy Davie
Jun 02, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Third in the Lucas Davenport thriller series revolving around a dirty, yet honest cop based in Minneapolis.

My Take
I don’t normally read introductions. It’s more of a hit-or-miss, if I’m in the mood kind of thing, yet I’m finding Sandford’s introductions interesting. They add an extra depth --- and horror --- to the story I’m reading. This one, in particular, is very useful for writers as Sandford talks about how the gruesome bits developed, the questions he asked himself. Do not read too much in
Ryk Stanton
Feb 21, 2014 Ryk Stanton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series when I started it several years ago ... read the first few books and fell away just because of life, you know ... decided to start over again and see how I liked it now ...

I really liked it, even more now that I have had a few years of watching police procedurals on TV ... because Lucas Davenport is a deep character with real problems as well as many decent qualities. He's not one of those archetypal bad-boy detectives ... but he kinda is ... he isn't a character with deep
Michelle
Jul 07, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was super intense. I was laughing at one of the reviews of the first Davenport book who stated she was so disappointed that the killer was introduced right away so there was no mystery left to the book. She just hated it and I think gave it only one star. I was thinking of every movie, like EVER, where you didn't know who the bad guy was. It rarely happens. When you get to know what the killer is doing, it is so chilling and sick and you're rooting the whole time for him to be caught. ...more
Larry
Mar 10, 2015 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book that I have read in the Lucas Davenport series – and I expect to read a bunch more. This was a goodie! I think the author nailed it.

The plot was intricate but the it was the main characters, Minneapolis Police Detective Davenport, and, in this installment, his nemesis, a murder, that were the stars. They are both fascinating.

The “good guy” (who’s not always that “good”) is a cop who prefers working his network of snitches instead of homicides, but is drawn into a murder
wally
May 09, 2015 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandford
#9 from sandford...#3 lucas davenport.
not reading them in order...i'm doing okay.
5 may 15
onward and upward.

9 may 15
finished.

good story. without looking...again...at the pubbed date, this one must be an early lucas davenport story and maybe it is an argument for reading them as they were put out, but no, that is a weak argument. i've not been reading them as they arrived...so in a sense this one is like an extended flashback...that could have as easily taken place in the "now" of davenport.

one
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE29, 2015
Narrator: Richard Ferrone

I did much better relistening to this from the top. Unlike some other readers, I have no problem with Davenport's character. I like him very much. More than Harry Bosch, I think. I find Bosch a sadder character. I feel sorry for Bosch much of the time whereas I don't feel this for Davenport, despite his depression. I have problems with Bosch's shortlived relationships whilst I have no issues with Davenport screwing around. Some readers me
Art
Eyes of Prey by John Sandford is the third book in the Lucas Davenport series. Sandford does a great job making the Davenport books feel like they could actually happen. Lucas feels gritty and real. He even has to deal with the damaging effects from the two previous books. Sandford does a wonderful job getting the reader into both the criminal's psyche and Davenport's. Lucas has a lot of irons in the fire while trying to help solve the latest major crime. This allows for a great connection betwe ...more
Sandy
Apr 18, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Librari...: 978-0-425-21443-5 2 12 Dec 22, 2013 01:05PM
  • Dead Prey
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Pursuit
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
John Sandford was born John Camp on February 23, 1944, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He attended the public schools in Cedar Rapids, graduating from Washington High School in 1962. He then spent four years at the University of Iowa, graduating with a bachelor's degree in American Studies in 1966. In 1966, he married Susan Lee Jones of Cedar Rapids, a fellow student at the University of Iowa. He was in th ...more
More about John Sandford...

Lucas Davenport (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
  • Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
  • Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport #4)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)
  • Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)
  • Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport, #11)

“I used to be a Catholic, and when I first started police work, I worried about that. I saw a lot of people dead or dying for no apparent reason . . . not people I killed, just people. Little kids who'd drowned, people dying in auto accidents and with heart attacks and strokes. I saw a lineman burn to death, up on a pole, little bits and pieces, and nobody could help . . . . I watched them go, screaming and crying and sometimes just lying there with their tongues stuck out, heaving, with all the screaming and hollering from friends and relatives . . . and I never saw anyone looking beyond. I think, Michael, I think they just blink out. That's all. I think they go where the words on a computer screen go, when you turn it off. One minute they exist, maybe they're even profound, maybe the result of a great deal of work. The next . . . . Whiff. Gone.” 7 likes
“Carol Druze Was A Stone Killer.” 4 likes