Start by marking “Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One: 4 Short Fictions and Wonders” as Want to Read:
Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One: 4 Short Fictions and Wonders

Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One: 4 Short Fictions and Wonders (Fragile Things #1)

“A prodigiously imaginative collection.”

New York Times Book Review, Editor’s Choice

“Dazzling tales from a master of the fantastic.”
Washington Post Book World

Fragile Things is a sterling collection of exceptional tales from Neil Gaiman, multiple award-winning (the Hugo, Bram Stoker, Newberry, and Eisner Awards, to name just a few), #1 New York Times bestselling author o
Published February 3rd 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One

Stephen
Sherlock Holmes meets the Cthulhu Mythos in one of the best, most original mash ups of all time...plus a wonderful GAIMANesque ghost story in honor of Ray Bradbury.

Fragile Things, Comprehensive Review Part I...and so it begins. This collection is in my All Time Top 5 for best single author compilation of short fiction ever. If you are a fan of Neil Gaiman’s novels or his work on Sandman and have never read his short fiction, this is a wonderful place to start. I have now read/listened to the col
MyACPL Athens County Public Libraries
from Jordan:

The Monarch of the Glen by Neil Gaiman, a novella from the Fragile Things collection, is a sequel to Gaiman’s American Gods. The story follows protagonist Shadow while visiting Scotland. It explores some of Scotland’s mythos in the same way American Gods explored the old and new gods of America.

To say too much about the plot would spoil it, but there you garner interesting tidbits about Shadow as he tries to escape the escapades that occurred in America. For one, you learn his real
Jeremie
Mar 28, 2012 Jeremie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom line: Selections from Fragile Things is a good pick of short stories (3) and a poem (1) from the larger collection. The picks made me want to buy the full Fragile Things collection.

These stories went from fable, "The Mapmaker", to mystery, "A Study in Emerald", to a fairy tale/poem in, "The Fairy Reel", to a campfire tale, told by a month of the year, "October in the Chair".

These are real "story" stories, as much worthy of being told hundreds of years ago as they are adequate for being
Feb 04, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book features only Neil Gaiman's intelligent and fun short stories. Gaiman writes with apparent ease because of his immense talent. The New Yorker profiled him a few weeks ago.

Happily I call myself a dedicated fan.
Michelle
May 09, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love this book. It has a place next to my bed so that it's ready to be read at anytime. Again and again. While there are many stories in Fragile Things I love, my favorite without a doubt is "October Sits in the Chair."
Tess
It's hard to categorize Gaiman's short stories, so I categorized this with all semi-applicable bookshelf titles!

Some of these were more brilliant than others, but they were all captivating.
Lauren Deland
There are hits and misses in this collection of short fictions and poems, but "Sunbird," "Bitter Grounds," and "Keepsakes and Treasures" are particularly good.
Stacey
Dec 14, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the introduction, I thought I was getting several stories. However, this only contained 3. Four if you count the "Mapmaker." Lovely writing. I found A Study in Emerald weird, but well written.
Lady♥Belleza★✰
Some entertaining stories from Neil Gaiman. A story about aliens, a poem, and the months of the year telling stories.
JM
JM rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2012
Amanda Vu
Amanda Vu rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2009
Jenny Burridge
Jan 05, 2013 Jenny Burridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neil-gaiman
Excellent.
Marcilia
Marcilia rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
A Flicker Of Light
A Flicker Of Light rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Nageen
Nageen rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
May 18, 2009
HanLing Petredean
HanLing Petredean rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Eric pearson
Eric pearson rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Madison Rene'
Madison Rene' rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Karla Bassi
Karla Bassi rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Magda
Magda rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2009
Austin Kremer
Austin Kremer rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2010
Eline
Eline rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Candida F.
Candida F. rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Helenab
Helenab rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
Sean Koh
Sean Koh rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2010
Diadem
Diadem rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Collected Short Works of Poul Anderson, Volume 1: Call Me Joe
  • Kirinyaga (A Fable of Utopia, #1)
  • Hell is the Absence of God
  • The Hugo Winners Vol 1 and 2 1955-1972
  • Reckonings (The Books of Magic, #6)
  • Brittle Innings
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • Pratchett 8 Book Set: Night Watch / Truth / Carpe Jugulum / Color of Magic / Fifth Elephant / Light Fantastic / Equal Rights / Thief of Time
  • L'épée de feu (Le trône de fer, #7)
  • The Persistence of Vision
  • The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories
  • The Thrawn Omnibus (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1-3)
  • The Last of the Winnebagos
  • The Second Great Dune Trilogy: God Emperor of Dune/Heretics of Dune/Chapter House Dune
  • L'homme noir (L'assassin royal, #12)

Fragile Things (1 books)