Start by marking “Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One: 4 Short Fictions and Wonders” as Want to Read:
Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One: 4 Short Fictions and Wonders

Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One: 4 Short Fictions and Wonders (Fragile Things #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The marvelous creations found in Fragile Things showcase the unparalleled invention and storytelling brilliance—as well as the terrifyingly dark and entertaining sense of humor—of the incomparable Neil Gaiman. By turns delightful, disturbing, and diverting, Fragile Things is a gift of literary enchantment from one of the most original writers of our time.

In Selections from
Published February 3rd 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selections from Fragile Things, Volume One

Stephen
Sherlock Holmes meets the Cthulhu Mythos in one of the best, most original mash ups of all time...plus a wonderful GAIMANesque ghost story in honor of Ray Bradbury.

Fragile Things, Comprehensive Review Part I...and so it begins. This collection is in my All Time Top 5 for best single author compilation of short fiction ever. If you are a fan of Neil Gaiman’s novels or his work on Sandman and have never read his short fiction, this is a wonderful place to start. I have now read/listened to the col
MyACPL Athens County Public Libraries
from Jordan:

The Monarch of the Glen by Neil Gaiman, a novella from the Fragile Things collection, is a sequel to Gaiman’s American Gods. The story follows protagonist Shadow while visiting Scotland. It explores some of Scotland’s mythos in the same way American Gods explored the old and new gods of America.

To say too much about the plot would spoil it, but there you garner interesting tidbits about Shadow as he tries to escape the escapades that occurred in America. For one, you learn his real
Jeremie
Bottom line: Selections from Fragile Things is a good pick of short stories (3) and a poem (1) from the larger collection. The picks made me want to buy the full Fragile Things collection.

These stories went from fable, "The Mapmaker", to mystery, "A Study in Emerald", to a fairy tale/poem in, "The Fairy Reel", to a campfire tale, told by a month of the year, "October in the Chair".

These are real "story" stories, as much worthy of being told hundreds of years ago as they are adequate for being
Book features only Neil Gaiman's intelligent and fun short stories. Gaiman writes with apparent ease because of his immense talent. The New Yorker profiled him a few weeks ago.

Happily I call myself a dedicated fan.
Tess
It's hard to categorize Gaiman's short stories, so I categorized this with all semi-applicable bookshelf titles!

Some of these were more brilliant than others, but they were all captivating.
Michelle
I Love this book. It has a place next to my bed so that it's ready to be read at anytime. Again and again. While there are many stories in Fragile Things I love, my favorite without a doubt is "October Sits in the Chair."
Stacey
From the introduction, I thought I was getting several stories. However, this only contained 3. Four if you count the "Mapmaker." Lovely writing. I found A Study in Emerald weird, but well written.
Lauren Deland
There are hits and misses in this collection of short fictions and poems, but "Sunbird," "Bitter Grounds," and "Keepsakes and Treasures" are particularly good.
♥Beleza★✰
Some entertaining stories from Neil Gaiman. A story about aliens, a poem, and the months of the year telling stories.
Rachell Taylor
I loved this book. My first Neil Gaiman and now I am hooked.
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Matt Lulu
Matt Lulu is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Melissa Whitney
Melissa Whitney marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Cricket
Cricket marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Angela Campos
Angela Campos marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Kirinyaga (A Fable of Utopia, #1)
  • Hell is the Absence of God
  • The Persistence of Vision
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • Brittle Innings
  • The Hugo Winners Vol 1 and 2 1955-1972
  • The Last of the Winnebagos
  • Death Trilogy: Mort / Reaper Man / Soul Music (A Discworld Omnibus) (Discworld #4, 11,16)
  • Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories
  • L'homme noir (L'assassin royal, #12)
  • The Hercules Text
  • L'épée de feu (Le trône de fer, #7)
  • The Thrawn Omnibus (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? 2 (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #2)
  • The Second Great Dune Trilogy: God Emperor of Dune/Heretics of Dune/Chapter House Dune
  • The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3)
  • 1776: A Story in Tweets
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust