Start by marking “Batteries Not Included” as Want to Read:
Batteries Not Included

Batteries Not Included

This title is part of the 2010 Advent Calendar: Naughty or Nice

How would you react if you woke up one morning to find you were in bed with your favorite pop star? More to the point: how would the pop star react? Sam's celebrity crush, Cain Shepney, isn't so pleased to wake up with a stranger, but that's far from the worst shock the day has in store for them both! Sam's use
Published December 1st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Batteries Not Included, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batteries Not Included

Deeze
This was wonderfully weird lol.

Maybe it’s the wine or maybe J L Merrow just has a knack for making me laugh, but either way I thoroughly enjoyed this short read.

Sam was a wonderful character. Often we have the nerd that turns out to be quite hot underneath, but this time we get the really hot guy that’s more a nerd. I loved the hint at poor Sams origins lol.

*Cain* Was great. Totally perfect LOL.

I was so scared this would go in a different direction but happily for me it ended just how I wanted
Ami
Dec 09, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
You know zee drill, full reviewage on Prism Book Alliance

Bonus Point #1: “Britain’s Got the Idol Factor”. Heh.

Sam is dreaming about – oh, wait, no, pop star Cain Shepney (great name) really is in his bed. Cue the clueless soundtrack double time, as neither of them can grab the memory of how they got there. Together. Naked.

Merrow’s writing is fun, if a bit winded and winding here and there. Sam is our narrator and his voice is that of a 21-yr old both confused in a mini-freak out kind of way and
Sofia
Dec 09, 2014 Sofia rated it liked it

a short, fun piece - yay

The stamp refers to something that happens in the story and is not linked to what I think of the story which I enjoyed reading :D
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
so cute and funny. It is a super short read but very amusing. Oh and there is an extremely cute ending. Made me smile and giggle like a school girl
Serena Yates
Dec 22, 2010 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Short, very funny Christmas story in which Sam is granted his wish for a lover. Except - Cain has no idea what is going on and no memories of how he got into Sam's bed.

I loved the way Sam and Cain slowly inched their way toward the truth - as unlikely as that is. There were lots of laughs, quite a bit of confusion and, luckily, a happy end. A quick, fun read!
Didi
This short hit the right spot and lifted me from feeling low.
Totally giggle-worthy in a fluff sort of way.
Heller
Nov 02, 2012 Heller rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, pnr, contemporary
2.5

Odd little Christmas story but cute.
Chris, the Dalek King
Sam is used to being suspicious of any gifts given to him by his mother Lillith, and for good reason. Still…a plastic doll of his favorite rock star, Cain Shepney, is relatively harmless. And if it is embarrassing for a grown man to be given a doll by his mother, well it is still better than being gifted sex toys (been there, done that…please never ever go there again!). When he wakes up the next day, and the real Cain is freaking out in his bedroom, Sam doesn’t have to look far for a guilty ...more
mw138

Sam, a shy and quiet man, who hasn't had much luck in the love department, wakes up one morning lying next to his celebrity crush and pop singer, Cain Shepney. He's fantasized about Cain for quite a while, so separating reality from fantasy is difficult at first. Confused and irritated, Cain wonders how he ended up, naked, in the bed of a stranger. The two men set off to figure out how all of this come about.

I really wanted to like this story, but it bothered me more than anything.

(view
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 11, 2014 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook, shorty, bgirls

3.5 star review by The Blogger Girls.

This short story is a really cute fantasy tale which I easily read it in one sitting.

Sam has had a bit of trouble finding someone. One day, his mother gives him a doll and tells him to dream of his fantasy. Sam’s mother is a bit odd. She is young, never seems to age, and has a habit of taking men from Sam for herself. But she has Sam’s best interests at heart when she tries to help him out.

So, Sam dreams of favorite fantasy, rock star Cain Shepney, who, lo an
Lelyana

A boyfriend made in China? Literally? Bring it on!

It's an unusual but cute story. I liked it.
Now,let me dream of my very own , err, 'that' kind from China.
(Letting my subconscious mind being creative now...)
Riina Y.T.
Dec 15, 2013 Riina Y.T. rated it it was ok
Shelves: xmassy
Made in China!? =D

Ok so this was ... err.. quite creative, but a little irritating still ~_~
PettyProse
Jun 23, 2011 PettyProse rated it really liked it
Review: This was an amusing, dream-cohttp://briefencountersreviews.com/201... story, with an unusual twist.
Review for Brief Encounters Reviews:

A delightful rollercoaster starts with Sam waking with his popstar idol Cain in a very compromising situation. I admit I love this scenario in fiction! But instead of the plot then being the familiar get-together, the author cleverly twists us and takes us on a race with them across country to confront the odd conclusion that maybe Cain isn’t Cain at all
Eli Easton
Jan 14, 2013 Eli Easton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jl-merrow
This is definitely a story that is completely creative and not meant to be taken literally,as some of the reviewers seem to have done. I love that J.L. Merrow comes up with such interesting ideas for stories--hers are not the standard in-love-with-my-roommate stories, though if she did that one I'm sure it would have a wicked twist. As always, her brilliant sense of humor shines through.

This is my third story in a day that I've read from her and I think I may have found my new favorite author. A
Janna
I recently read a very enjoyable novella by J.L. Merrow, Pricks and Pragmatism, and I was very much looking forward to this short story. And I wasn't disappointed in the least. Batteries Not Included is a humorous and original story, with a supernatural twist. One morning Sam wakes up and discovers his favorite popstar in his bed - naked. Neither of them can remember how they ended up in bed together, or what happened there. And Cain doesn't seem to be too happy about it either. Slowly they ...more
Fehu
Dec 09, 2012 Fehu rated it really liked it
Sam wakes on Christmas morning to find his dreams did come true and his favorite popstar Cain Shepney, is actually in his bed for real. Cain is less happy about sharing a bed with Sam and throws a fit, because he cannot remember how he got there and he doesn't want to be there in the first place. Now Sam remebers some of his mothers recents hints and gifts and his first thought is that it's her meddling in his life...again.
Strangely enough no one seems to miss Cain and when Cain calls home, his
Tam
Nov 13, 2011 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I must be getting in the Christmas spirit, a year late. Better late than never they say.

I really liked Sam and his trials, but his mother annoyed me so much it brought the story down for me. I know it was supposed to be humourous, and it was, but I seem to have mommy issues. :-) I've noticed it before. Mothers who interfere with their kid's lives, take their boyfriends with barely a backward glance, play games with people's live and think it's all a great lark annoy me. So .... that's me. There
Funzee Shu
Apr 17, 2016 Funzee Shu rated it it was ok

Shane...
It's kinda weird if you read the same name as MC in two different books you read in a row...

The story not make sense. But there's nothing impossible if the magic included right?

Cain Shepney reminds me of Adam Lambert and John here reminds me with uhm...Tommy....

Morgan  Skye
Jan 12, 2015 Morgan Skye rated it it was amazing
This is a super short fantasy novel about a toy “idol” doll coming to life and making Sam’s dreams come true. In true Merrow fashion it’s British and snarky and hilarious with a dash of hot sex to keep things steamy.

I loved it and my only complaint was that it was too short!

My absolute favorite part is the tattoo!

Lacey
This was a really cute story, but for the first 3/4 of it I was really confused and distracted by the paranormal aspect of it - I didn't realize going into it that this wasn't a contemporary story. I think knowing this ahead of time would have increased my enjoyment of the story so I'm going to go ahead and round it up to 4 stars.
Susinok
Feb 20, 2016 Susinok rated it it was amazing
Fun Christmas story.

Batteries Not Included by J.L. Merrow

Sam wakes up Christmas morning with his biggest pop idol, Cain Shepney, naked in his bed. However, it turns out that it is not the real Cain Shepney but an unusual facsimile.
Meraehl
Jun 20, 2011 Meraehl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-l-merrow
This short story is a lot of fun - it has some particularly funny lines and an enjoyably resigned hero. Uncomplicated and not particularly deep, but amusing and put a smile on my face. Just the thing to re-read when I'm having a bad day and need cheering up. :-)
Carrie
Story was really funny, but I was left a little meh. I don't think it was the writing, the plot just really wan't my cup of tea. Now Cain/Jon(the drummer)'s story? That I'd like to hear.

Still laughing at the show title Britain's Got the Idol Factor.
Lillian Francis
Mar 30, 2015 Lillian Francis rated it really liked it
I just love the British flavour of J L Merrow's books, this one is no exception. Amusing short read that made me grin.
Chris
Dec 21, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Very good short paranormal m/m holiday romance about a guy who goes to bed with a doll of his favorite singer on the other pillow and wakes up with a naked man in his bed.
Lala
This was quite creepy...mostly because none of the characters was all that creeped out but the events in this book.

**shudder**
Liz (Bugetta)
This was a weird little story. I loved Sam -his sense of humor was great and he had a very unique take on life but the "romance" was just plain strange and hard to take seriously.
melek
Sam wakes up next to his celebrity crush is this a dream can this be real. And what you find out you would not expect
  • Making His List
  • Christmas with Danny Fit
  • A Wealth of Unsaid Words
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Christmas Wager
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Colin and Martin's First Christmas (Colin and Martin, #1)
  • Wish List
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2)
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora
More about J.L. Merrow...