Start by marking “All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words” as Want to Read:
All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words

All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  7 reviews
All students of Japanese, whether they have studied physics or not, know the word "particle," and they realize that particles, like English prepositions, require a special effort to master. Thus the high evaluation of the previous edition of this small handbook, which provides all the information students need in a scant 128 pages, was not surprising.
P
iAll About Particles
Published September 21st 2001 by Kodansha International (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about All about Particles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All about Particles

Ruri Gokou
It's a nice supplement to other Japanese grammar books since most are focused on grammar and not particles. I wouldn't call this book essential though. I didn't read the explanations either. Rather, I just took the sentences and put them into Anki.
Abby
Essential study companion for any student of Japanese. I really wish I'd had this book while taking Japanese classes in university; would have been immensely helpful. Particles are one of the most confusing aspects of Japanese for English speakers to grasp, and Naoko Chino presents them in a clear, helpful, and instructive fashion. Will certainly use as a reference if I start taking Japanese again.
Adam Smith
This book is very helpful for explaining the particles; covering a wide variety of commonly used particles with detailed example sentences. While I may not remember all the different particles, it is important to have read an explanation because the next I come across that particle I'll have a better understanding of how it functions. I will need to re-read this again in the future.
Lisa
One of the best Japanese lesson books i've ever found. it's very useful, detailed and easy to understand. I always turn to this book first when there's something i forgot or something i don't really understand.
Jenn
A cute little reference book of the most important particles in the Japanese language. With clear explanations and example sentences, it's a must-buy for all beginner and intermediate students of Japanese.
Chase
handy little dictionary of particles. it has some good examples of similar particle and dissimilar particles.
Tim Knox
One day I will be able to speak Japanese!
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Matteo Marini
Matteo Marini marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Raulin Pacheco
Raulin Pacheco marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Saffa
Saffa added it
Jun 10, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
James Pearson
James Pearson is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2015
Marie Bergström
Marie Bergström marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Amanda Weakly
Amanda Weakly marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Vinayak Dixit
Vinayak Dixit marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Zé Lima
Zé Lima marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Brian Connelly
Brian Connelly marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar 日本語文法辞典【中級編】 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary Series #2)
  • GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese, Vol. II
  • Japanese Grammar
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • Kanji Pict-o-Graphix: Over 1,000 Japanese Kanji and Kana Mnemonics
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
  • Kanji de Manga Volume 1: The Comic Book That Teaches You How to Read and Write Japanese!
  • Read Japanese today
  • Read Real Japanese Fiction: Short Stories by Contemporary Writers 1 free CD included
  • Let's Learn Hiragana: First Book of Basic Japanese Writing
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • Making Out in Japanese: (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Basic Kanji Book, Vol. 1
A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Sentence Patterns How to Tell the Difference Between Japanese Particles: Comparisons and Exercises Japanese Verbs at a Glance (Power Japanese Series) Basic Sentence Patterns: Building Strong Foundations