Start by marking “Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations” as Want to Read:
Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations

Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations

4.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  295 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Thirukkural (or the Kural) is a collection of 1330 Tamil couplets organised into 133 chapters. Each chapter has a specific subject ranging from "ploughing a piece of land" to "ruling a country". According to the LIFCO Tamil-Tamil-English dictionary, the Tamil word Kural means Venpa verse with two lines. Thirukkural comes under one of the four categories of Venpas (Tamil ve ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 18th 2010 by Aditi Publications (first published -200)

Mohit Misra
Mar 26, 2009 Mohit Misra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read.Correctly called a classic I enjoyed every single couplet in this book.This is a book everyone should read,definitely one of my favorites
Jijo Varghese
I thought somebody would have read this. There was a cold shudder through my back when I searched all editions available here and nobody read it.

I would say if you are only confined to read only novels; then I wont call you as a reader or a person who have a hobby of patience and imagination. There is so many untouched books in Indian Theology and philosophy and everyone run behind so called international bestsellers!!!.

I ever asked me what Am getting by reading a novel..a sense gratification fo
RandomAnthony
I like paging through this...it's a set of couplets divided into the categories of virtue, wealth, and love. For example:

To resist hatred is a gain,
To yield to it ruin.

I'm surprised this isn't more well known, I guess it's huge in India. I stumbled upon the book and pull it off the shelf every now and then. Not life-changing but thought provoking.
PTS Books Club
Thirukkural, also known as the Kural, is a classic of couplets or Kurals (1330 rhyming Tamil couplets) or aphorisms celebrated by Tamils. It was authored by Thiruvalluvar, and is considered to be the first work to focus on ethics in Dravidian literature. Although the exact period of its composition is still disputed, scholars agree that it was produced before the 2nd century BC.

Thirukkural is divided into three sections. Section one deals with Aram, good ethical behavior with conscience and hon
Greg
Dec 20, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kural is a book of wisdom in the form of poetic couplets, written by Tiruvalluvar around 1500 years ago in India. These couplets are divided into dharma (virtue), artha (wealth), and kama (love) - three of the four supreme aims of the Hindu tradition. These couplets are, simply put, fantastic. While the rendering into English inevitably causes them to lose much of their poetic form, the insights and juxtaposition of the couplets is often strikingly insightful nonetheless. This book is easy t ...more
Purnacandra Sivarupa
This collection of simple couplets is a remarkably robust work on ethics, everyday psychology, and how to apply Saiva principles to daily life. This particular translation, by P.S. Sundaram, is a very readable rendering in modern English; it is quite clear, while maintaining the two-line structure of the couplets. It is thus a very literal translation, though the end notes, while interesting, are rarely even necessary to gathering the gist.
Suri
Nov 17, 2010 Suri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the original classical books. originated in palm leaves and lost. Then found by the historians, made availabe to us. Later translated to more than 30 languages by g8 scholars.

This book is a guide for the life. How to live and how to love.
Chakravarthi Bharati
Dec 07, 2012 Chakravarthi Bharati rated it it was amazing
One of the best and foremost books in Tamil.This book is not only for Tamil people but throught the world.

"So learn that you may full and faultness learning gain,
Then in obedience meet to lessons learnt remain" (Kural:391).
Sankara
Mar 27, 2012 Sankara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and crisp modern translation of the great ancient classic. Opt for gifting to your non Tamil speaking friend, if you want to introduce him/her to the world of Tamil classics.
Nevanthri
Jul 03, 2015 Nevanthri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is a book that is meant to be ready slowing and with thought. I will definitely be reading this book of kurals again.
Anand Nataraj
Dec 08, 2014 Anand Nataraj rated it it was amazing
helps to take pointers for presentations...
Vshman
Aug 15, 2013 Vshman rated it it was amazing
Everyday I read one and I wonder.
mwr
Jul 13, 2013 mwr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some pretty good ones in here.
Hemapriya Venkataraman
Aruna
Sep 09, 2012 Aruna rated it it was amazing
For Nosce te ipsum.
Reniçia
Reniçia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Annuja Muthu
Annuja Muthu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
xyz
xyz marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Chetan Mistry
Chetan Mistry marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Kalai Vani
Kalai Vani marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Rsmani
Rsmani marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Swaminathan
Swaminathan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Priya
Priya marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Kamal
Kamal rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Vairamayil Sankaranarayanan
Vairamayil Sankaranarayanan rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Anbarashi
Anbarashi marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Praneeth SP Krishnamurthy
Praneeth SP Krishnamurthy rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
thadcha
thadcha marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
  • The Arthashastra
  • The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti: A Mahayana Scripture
  • An Autobiography: Toward Freedom
  • We, the Nation: the Lost Decades
  • Poems of the Masters: China's Classic Anthology of T'ang and Sung Dynasty Verse
  • നാസ്തികനായ ദൈവം | Nasthikanaya Daivam
  • The Loom of Time: A Selection of His Plays and Poems
  • Parmenides of Elea: Fragments: A Text and Translation with an Introduction
  • Castes in India: Their Mechanism, Genesis and Development
Thiruvalluvar (Tamil: திருவளளுவர) is a celebrated Tamil poet and philosopher whose contribution to Tamil literature is the Thirukkural, a work on ethics. He was born either in Thiru Mylai (Mylapore) Chennai in Tamil Nadu or in ThirunayanarKuruchi, a village in Kanyakumari District of Tamil Nadu. Thiruvalluvar is thought to have lived sometime between the 3rd century BC and the 1st century BC. The ...more
More about Thiruvalluvar...

“Make foes of bowmen if you must,
Never of penmen.”
26 likes
“It is compassion, the most gracious of virtues,
Which moves the world.”