Start by marking “Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations” as Want to Read:
Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations

Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Thirukkural (or the Kural) is a collection of 1330 Tamil couplets organised into 133 chapters. Each chapter has a specific subject ranging from "ploughing a piece of land" to "ruling a country". According to the LIFCO Tamil-Tamil-English dictionary, the Tamil word Kural means Venpa verse with two lines. Thirukkural comes under one of the four categories of Venpas (Tamil ve ...more
Published October 18th 2010 by Aditi Publications (first published -200)

Mohit Misra
One of the best books I have ever read.Correctly called a classic I enjoyed every single couplet in this book.This is a book everyone should read,definitely one of my favorites
Jijo Varghese
I thought somebody would have read this. There was a cold shudder through my back when I searched all editions available here and nobody read it.

I would say if you are only confined to read only novels; then I wont call you as a reader or a person who have a hobby of patience and imagination. There is so many untouched books in Indian Theology and philosophy and everyone run behind so called international bestsellers!!!.

I ever asked me what Am getting by reading a novel..a sense gratification fo
PTS Books Club
Thirukkural, also known as the Kural, is a classic of couplets or Kurals (1330 rhyming Tamil couplets) or aphorisms celebrated by Tamils. It was authored by Thiruvalluvar, and is considered to be the first work to focus on ethics in Dravidian literature. Although the exact period of its composition is still disputed, scholars agree that it was produced before the 2nd century BC.

Thirukkural is divided into three sections. Section one deals with Aram, good ethical behavior with conscience and hon
Greg
The Kural is a book of wisdom in the form of poetic couplets, written by Tiruvalluvar around 1500 years ago in India. These couplets are divided into dharma (virtue), artha (wealth), and kama (love) - three of the four supreme aims of the Hindu tradition. These couplets are, simply put, fantastic. While the rendering into English inevitably causes them to lose much of their poetic form, the insights and juxtaposition of the couplets is often strikingly insightful nonetheless. This book is easy t ...more
Purnacandra Sivarupa
This collection of simple couplets is a remarkably robust work on ethics, everyday psychology, and how to apply Saiva principles to daily life. This particular translation, by P.S. Sundaram, is a very readable rendering in modern English; it is quite clear, while maintaining the two-line structure of the couplets. It is thus a very literal translation, though the end notes, while interesting, are rarely even necessary to gathering the gist.
RandomAnthony
I like paging through this...it's a set of couplets divided into the categories of virtue, wealth, and love. For example:

To resist hatred is a gain,
To yield to it ruin.

I'm surprised this isn't more well known, I guess it's huge in India. I stumbled upon the book and pull it off the shelf every now and then. Not life-changing but thought provoking.
Suri
One of the original classical books. originated in palm leaves and lost. Then found by the historians, made availabe to us. Later translated to more than 30 languages by g8 scholars.

This book is a guide for the life. How to live and how to love.
Chakravarthi Bharati
One of the best and foremost books in Tamil.This book is not only for Tamil people but throught the world.

"So learn that you may full and faultness learning gain,
Then in obedience meet to lessons learnt remain" (Kural:391).
Sankara
Simple and crisp modern translation of the great ancient classic. Opt for gifting to your non Tamil speaking friend, if you want to introduce him/her to the world of Tamil classics.
Anand Nataraj
helps to take pointers for presentations...
Vshman
Everyday I read one and I wonder.
mwr
Some pretty good ones in here.
Rajesh
no yet started
Aruna
For Nosce te ipsum.
Aman
Aman marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Sambasivam Mani
Sambasivam Mani marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Npt Dinesh
Npt Dinesh marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Shrikant Birage
Shrikant Birage marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sreenivasan
Sreenivasan marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Sanjay Gautam
Sanjay Gautam marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Ashok
Ashok marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Shaili
Shaili marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Rajashekhara Subramani
Rajashekhara Subramani marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Sundaralakshmi
Sundaralakshmi marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Critias
  • The Politics of Education: Culture, Power and Liberation
  • The Earliest English Poems
  • Hesiod: The Works and Days/Theogony/The Shield of Herakles
Thiruvalluvar was a Tamil poet and philosopher . whose contribution to Tamil literature is the Thirukkural
More about Thiruvalluvar...
Thirukkural Thirukkural/Pearls Of Inspiration திருவள்ளுவர் அருளிய திருக்குறள் (Thirukkural) Le Livre de L'Amour de Tiruvalluvar

“Make foes of bowmen if you must,
Never of penmen.”
18 likes
“It is compassion, the most gracious of virtues,
Which moves the world.”