Start by marking “A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)

A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose #1)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  63,771 Ratings  ·  8,785 Reviews
A Dog s Purpose which spent a year on the New York Times Best Seller list is heading to the big screen! Based on the beloved bestselling novel by W. Bruce Cameron, A Dog s Purpose, from director Lasse Hallstrom (The Cider House Rules, Dear John, The 100-Foot Journey), shares the soulful and surprising story of one devoted dog (voiced by Josh Gad) who finds the meaning of h ...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Forge Books (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog's Purpose, please sign up.

Nancy I actually read the sequel first, then went back and read the first one. Absolutely loved them both and don't think it matters which order you read…moreI actually read the sequel first, then went back and read the first one. Absolutely loved them both and don't think it matters which order you read them in. Certain phrases will always stick with me from these books, and it gives me a possible window to my great dog's motivations. I enjoyed them immensely and they touched my heart.(less)
Cathy It has some sad parts, but overall, it's a 'feel good' book. It's worth the read

Chrissie
Aug 13, 2010 Chrissie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It made me look at my own dog differently, wondering how it feels, how much it loves me, and what it thinks about his own life. I hope that all animals souls are like the ones in this book and I found myself laughing as much as I was crying while reading this book
W. Cameron
Jun 02, 2010 W. Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book confirms what you know in your heart to be true, that love never dies, and that our animal friends are always with us.
Elyse
Jan 13, 2017 Elyse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: For those who have been considering reading this book....
It's on sale today for $1.99 as a Kindle deal

I saw the movie ..Anyone else? Thoughts?
I thought it was well done....but it 'was'
sad and scary in a couple of scenes.
I'm aware of protestors...
And ... I'm still glad I saw it.

"I loved my world, the Yard. I loved running through the mud by the water trough, my paws making a dirty splatter that flecked my fur".

I've seen the movie trailer.....had picked up a new copy hardcover for a do
Heidi Brydon
Jun 02, 2010 Heidi Brydon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE TO MY UPDATE!

This book was one of the top five "Best Fiction" in the 2010 Goodreads Awards! It came in at number 4, beating out Jonathon Franzen's Freedom, which got a lot of hype. I'm so psyched that so many people agreed with me that this book was the best novel of 2010!

UPDATE TO MY REVIEW BELOW! I JUST FOUND OUT ON FACEBOOK THAT THIS BOOK IS NOMINATED FOR THE GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD OF 2010!!!! I hope all the people here who have loved it as much as I did will vote and it wins!

I got an
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

It’s time once a year for my library’s Winter Reading Challenge and my chance to score a FREEEEEEEE coffee mug. (Yes, I am the cheapest date you could ever imagine.) This year’s theme????

Basically any book that became a movie or television program. It turns out this is apparently the list of recommended reads I grab onto each year because I had read a bigly portion of the suggested titles (and had less than zero interest in some of t
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 19, 2012 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by Title and Cover
This story is bitter-sweet, sentimental to the extreme and stylistically almost childlike in its simplicity, exactly what I expected from a book titled ‘A Dog’s Purpose’. It didn’t disappoint. 4 stars for delivering such a charming piece of escapism, couldn’t put it down, polished it off in a day and a half.

And I just want to say to Toby, Bailey, Ellie & Buddy – Good Dog!
Cheri
I bought this book sometime in the past month or so based on several recommendations, it sat on the coffee table as a reminder, yet in all the time I never once read any reviews or previews of the story.
This afternoon I picked it up to read around noon and finished it just before 6pm tonight.
I loved the voice of "the dog," through every incarnation, from the very first lines "One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.
Philip
Mar 11, 2017 Philip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, cute
2.5ish stars.

As a dog owner (I have a 10-month-old Goldendoodle named Fritz, short for Fritzgerald, yes the extra 'r' is intentional) and lover, I enjoyed this book and found it somewhat heartwarming. As a book lover I recognize this book as cute but insubstantial and ultimately more cloying than inspirational. It's easy-to-read fluff that fulfilled its purpose as something to listen to on a road trip to Southern Utah and appease my wife.

Thoughts I had while listening: Dogs can be really annoy
Susanna
Aug 23, 2010 Susanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have or have ever had a dog in your life, PLEASE pick up this book. I tore through this in 48 hours with very little sleep and experienced the entire roller coaster of emotions.
Beth Allen
Sep 28, 2010 Beth Allen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew better than to believe the gushing reviews that said this was the best book ever written in the history of books, and that the author "accurately" captured what goes on in a (reincarnated) dog's mind. Really?

While cute and mildly entertaining, this novel is, at best, an easy-to-read, mediocre tale about this dog's lives, and his favorite owner. I just don't get the hype over it. Editorial reviews call this a tear-jerker. It tried, but failed to really pull at my heartstrings, and I am a
Charlie
Feb 01, 2011 Charlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! After I finished reading it I couldn't decide whether to loan it to somebody else so they could experience it or read it again. I decided to buy two more copies so I could read it again while I loaned it to my boss and my roommate. The author has a website www.adogspurpose.com where my rottweiler Maverick was almost voted dog of the week (we lost to a puppy, such is life). I found out that the book is going to be a Dreamworks movie (anyone know a release date?) and ...more
Gus
Feb 13, 2017 Gus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta reseña NO contiene spoilers.

La verdad es que no sabía con qué iba a encontrarme en este libro.
Quedé absolutamente fascinado.

La razón de estar contigo es una historia preciosa. Nos narra la peculiar vida de un perro y su incansable viaje tratando de descubrir cuál es su propósito en la vida. Algo así como un planteamiento de esas preguntas que todos llegamos a hacernos más de una vez: ¿Quiénes somos? ¿Cuál es nuestro objetivo?
¿Lo mejor? Todo el libro está narrado por el perro.

No me hace fa
A Dog's Purpose is the first installment in W. Bruce Cameron's fiction, animal POV series titled A Dog's Purpose. Initially, I wasn't into this book. The simplicity of the writing is almost childlike as the narrator is a dog who is confused by human behavior and just wants to please in any way. However, animal reincarnation was an interesting spin that kept the story from stalling...and then the tears came for me about 2/3 of the way through. Finally, I was invested.

I didn't love A Dog's Purpos
Marisa #1 Mahomie!!!
Aug 26, 2011 Marisa #1 Mahomie!!! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
such a good book with so much emotion. you can really tell that the author took his time creating a dog with enough love and determination to make this story great.he did a marvelous job getting in to a dog's brain and interpreting the things they see and hear. i loved the ending to this book and i would recommend it to anyone who loves a wonderful book. great job W. Bruce Cameron! i truly loved it!
Jesica
Jan 13, 2017 Jesica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Because failure isn’t an option if success is just a matter of more effort.

Before I start my review, I think I’ll post the picture of my four legged reading buddy, Mo, who often sit beside me as I read this book and enjoys being a front-seat dog as much as Bailey.

description

Let me ask a question. Have you ever think of what your purpose in your life? If not, well, you are beaten by a dog. This book tells of a dog who’s seeking it’s purpose in life through four lifetime. The story divided into four parts as
Ken Foreman
Aug 28, 2010 Ken Foreman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written from the perspective of a dog, "A Dog's Purpose" is just as much about people as it is dogs. The hardships, the joys, the loves and the losses we experience all define our purpose and our growth to a greater purpose. Reading the repeated lives of a dog through Toby, Bailey, Elle, and Buddy, I laughed and cried. Bruce Cameron is a masterful author who has captured the complexity of people's relationships with their pets and our struggle to understand ourselves, to give our lives meaning.

A
Christa Desrosiers
This is one of the best books I have read. Anyone who has ever had a dog needs to read this. It is funny and heartwarming.
Lisa
I don't just own a dog. I'm the sort of person who considers her chocolate labrador to be a member of the family, so it isn't a stretch for me to believe that a dog has thoughts and feelings. What is a bit too much for me is the idea of a reincarnated dog soul who uses words like "ignominy." And ultimately, though I was moved by the dog's desire to fulfill its purpose, I was disappointed in the narrative voice that Cameron develops for the main character. There simply isn't enough excitement or ...more
John McDonnell
Jul 06, 2010 John McDonnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Three Words, July 6, 2010
By John C. McDonnell

This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
I received a publisher's advance copy of W. Bruce Cameron's first novel, "A Dog's Purpose". In a word? Magnificent. OK, two words. Brilliant. Actually three. Soul.
Bruce Cameron has brought forth a magnificent, touching piece of a soul's journey through life in search of purpose and meaning. At times hilarious and yet other times heart breaking, Bruce brilliantly weaves a story of a dog and its quest th
Mish
What a unique and heart-rending tale of a dog’s quest to find its purpose for its existence, with a voice and mannerism so childlike and highly convincing – it will make you believe that it’s written by a dog.

A Dog’s Purpose is like reading four short stories, each one of them highlights different scenarios of a dog’s lifestyle and outcome from stray, to child’s pet, to working dog. What ties them in together is that it’s based on a single dog, reincarnated over and over again so that it takes w
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Amazing.
Booklady
Jul 21, 2010 Booklady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Dog’s Purpose is one of the most fantastic, wonderful books I’ve ever read. Many have tried to write from the animal’s perspective, but Bruce Cameron has hit it head on. I’ve never experienced so many emotions while reading one book. I laughed, I cried, I cheered.

Put in the context of what is going on in my life right now, I was just waiting for A Dog’s Purpose. My son and his wife had to have their 15-year-old golden retriever put to sleep after a long and full life, a short time ago. Even t
Mary (BookHounds)
This book is one of the best dog books I have ever read and I read almost everything that has a dog on the cover, in the title or description. A Dog's Purpose is almost a religious experience where the dog in question goes through reincarnation and grows through each lifetime. I just adored it and found myself near tears as well as feeling so hopeful that this dog did indeed make a difference in the lives of many. Cameron nailed Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy's voice and developed that voice as the dog ...more
Cian O hAnnrachainn
We're not letting your wife pick books for the book club ever again.

You know we like her as a person. She's great craic, really, and the fact that she's fond of dogs is more apparent than ever.

But, sweet Jaysus, we're not fifteen years old, son, and we're not all girls in this book club. A dog's purpose? It's to have a soft mouth and retrieve the feckin' birds without eating them.

Following a dog's...what, its soul? Through multiple incarnations where the beast experiences the good and bad that h
Kyle
Sep 12, 2011 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, audiobook
I usually find these "point of view from a dog" books hit or miss. Sometimes they can be absolutely amazing (see Marley and Me and The Art of Racing Through the Rain) and other times, they are so cheesy that I can't even continue reading them (which explains why none come to mind right now). This book was a "hit" for me.

I usually try not to look too much at the synopsis of a book before reading it because I like not knowing what to expect so when Toby was reincarnated into Bailey, I was pretty s
Martha
Feb 01, 2017 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ulubione

Zazwyczaj, jeżeli w książkach czy w filmach giną ludzie, to mnie to nie rusza. Czasem nawet jestem skłonna ponaśmiewać się ze sztucznego ketchupu wykorzystanego zamiast krwi. Ale na krzywdę zwierząt patrzeć nie potrafię. Jestem za wrażliwa. Kiedyś chciałam zostać weterynarzem. Zrezygnowałam, bo nie byłabym w stanie uśpić psa.

Zaczęło się od książki "Pies, który jeździł koleją". Nie polecam. Nigdy nie zapomnę, jak oglądałam kiedyś film "Długa podróż do domu". Nie polecam. "Mój przyjaciel Hachiko".
Diane
You're such a good dog, Toby! You're such a good dog, Bailey! You're such a good dog, Ellie! You're such a good dog, Buddy! You are such a doodle dog! Such a heart warming (and at times heart wrenching) read...I would definitely recommend for all dog lovers.

I loved being in the head and heart of Bailey throughout all of his lives, starting out as Toby. And while certainly not every life, or part of each life, was the best, at the end Buddy understands that he needed to live every life in order
Ashley
Jul 06, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Recommended to Ashley by: Cathy
What a beautiful story - I loved this book. My mom won it through First Reads and loved it too; she told me I had to read it.

I cried (several times), but Bailey and his story were so worth it. Cameron tells the story of Bailey (aka Toby, Ellie, Bear, and Buddy) and his different lives as a dog. In each new life, Bailey is searching for his purpose. The story is told from Bailey's point of view, which was the only way these stories could have been told. While Bailey isn't as intelligent as his h
David
Sep 28, 2010 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Dr. Temple Grandin's books, so when I read on Facebook that she gave a rave review to this book, I had to get it and I agree 100% with her blurb of A Dog's Purpose, "I loved this book and I could not put it down".--Dr. Temple Grandin, author of Animals in Translation. I was so thrilled that this was not yet another anthropomorphized "talking dog" as has been done to death in so many other books, the dog narrator of this book doesn't speak English, or understand what his people ...more
Rebecca McNutt
A Dog's Purpose is a dog story, but whether you like dogs or not, this is also a brilliant and eye-opening story about life, death and the meaning of it all.
Nook Club 3 10 Mar 21, 2017 04:12PM
Wilson County Pub...: Book Mark Book Club 2017 Part I b 1 2 Feb 15, 2017 08:42AM
Kindle Book Club ...: SPOILER ALERT, A Dog's Purpose, Reading Completed 7 10 Feb 10, 2017 08:03PM
Screen & Page: A Dog's Purpose 1 1 Jan 29, 2017 07:57AM
Around the Year i...: A Dog's Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron 1 17 Jan 14, 2017 03:34AM
  • One Good Dog
  • For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend
  • Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
  • Ever By My Side: A Memoir in Eight [Acts] Pets
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred
  • Dogs I Have Met: And The People They Found
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
I’ve always loved dogs, which puts me in a unique category along with what, maybe two or three billion people?

What’s not to love about an animal who will sit in your living room all day long, waiting for you to get home, and even if you need to work late and then stop for a stress-relieving beverage on your way home, when you unlock that front door, is absolutely overjoyed to see you? How could yo
More about W. Bruce Cameron...

A Dog's Purpose (2 books)
  • A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2)

“Because failure isn't an option if success is just a matter of more effort.” 113 likes
“Dogs have important jobs, like barking when the doorbell rings, but cats have no function in a house whatsoever.” 92 likes