Everything is Its Own Reward: An All Over Coffee Collection

Everything is Its Own Reward: An All Over Coffee Collection

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Beginning with his hometown of San Francisco and traveling to cities such as Paris, Rome, Buenos Aires, and Tokyo, Paul Madonna delivers his second body of drawings and writings. This stunning new collection, a testament to an artist and storyteller's careful observation of both the external and internal worlds, outdoes the masterful performance of his first book All Over

Published April 19th 2011 by City Lights Publishers

Eric
Paul Madonna is my hero. In the face of naysayers who say that words, narrative, realism and craft have no place in contemporary art practice, Paul soldiers on and brilliantly so. Madonna's lush, evocative drawings coupled with honest, longing prose provide ink-washed spaces of existential reflection that feel all the more necessary in our hyper-connected culture. If we could all be so thoughtful (and disciplined!) in our creative practices...
Krzysztof
I've always had a thing for unpeopled urban landscapes and nameless gritty buildings. The stories I told as a kid focused on the atmospherics of some run-down structure in my run-down neighborhood, and Edward Hopper and Tales from the Crypt have never not mesmerized me.

I also enjoy getting a peek at someone's notebook, so this book jumped out at me in the library. What first stood out were the lists of daily activities, sentence fragments, and small epiphanies incorporated into highly rendered s...more
City Lights
"In this exquisite second collection from his long-running weekly San Francisco Chronicle series All Over Coffee, Madonna captures snapshots in time as he explores the relationship between image and text . . . With pieces depicting San Francisco, New York, Barcelona, and Tokyo, Madonna's work is something to savor."
-- Publishers Weekly, Starred Review

"In Everything is its Own Reward, Paul Madonna has not only pressed graphic fiction way beyond its present boundaries, he has created a new and st...more
Paula Mckinley
This books successfully meets words and images that by themselves would stand alone as two entirely different subjects. However when paired together create a though provoking contrast. Beautifully illustrated and well written. I haven't seen anything like this before.
Rebecca Schwarz
I dipped in and out of this one. The artwork is amazing if a little lonely - all architecture and landscapes with not a living thing to be found. I can accept that as a statement but this is a hefty book and the emptiness feels a little oppressive after a while. There are also handwritten vignettes, some work better than others. This is truly a good coffee table book, made for perusing not reading straight through.
Rick Jones
Madonna's sketches of San Francisco are stunning AND simple, and paired with overheard dialogue, literary scraps and private musings make Everything is Its Own Reward is a beautiful labor of exploration.
Shannon
This book reads like a love letter to the San Francisco that once was. The one I first came to almost 20 years ago. The beautiful drawings of SF buildings and streets will leave a longtime resident like myself trying to figure out exactly what building *that* one is, and then *that* other one too.
catherine
a collection of micro-stories and fine line drawings of public spaces and architectural element primarily in SF. not actually a graphic novel - there is no linear or coherent narrative - but does convey a stronger sense of place and character than most actual novels i've read. stunning work.
Maureen
An interesting and beautiful tribute to time and place. Madonna's ink drawings of urban environments, hillsides, houses, and thousands and thousands of buildings are captivating. The text can be a little melodramatic, but never boring. A pretty quick and good read.
Hannah
Beautifully rendered drawings of streets and cities paired with elliptical little stories that stick in your mind. Broken fences, telephone wires, and shadows shadows shadows. The book object is a gorgeous thing itself.
Tamara
This book was inspirational! The text and pictures were great together. I never would have guessed that cityscapes and words could tell so many stories. I recommend this book to everyone.
Steve
Wonderful art. Many poignant and thought-provoking remarks or (extremely short) stories. It's magic for a while, but the effect wears off after a while.
Barbara
A book of comic strips without the 'comic'. Wonderful architectural pen and ink drawings with ink washes, plus a story line.
Lizzy
Sep 06, 2011 Lizzy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Does the smell of the air today remind you of another time?

Claire
Gorgeous!
Mingchao Lin
Mingchao Lin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alan Macdonald
Alan Macdonald marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Richard Fohrenbach
Richard Fohrenbach is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
193051
Paul Madonnas strip, All Over Coffee, appears weekly in the San Francisco Chronicle and on SFGate.com. Pauls drawings and prints are shown several times a year in galleries, restaurants, and cafes, and the first collection of All Over Coffee was published in 2007 by City Lights Books. Other work can be found on his website, paulmadonna.com, and in various publications including the Believer Magazi...more
More about Paul Madonna...
All Over Coffee The 826 Quarterly, Volume 8 A Writer's San Francisco: A Guided Journey for the Creative Soul