Charlie

Charlie

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When sixteen-year-old Charlie witnesses a brutal attack on her mother by two strangers she is shocked and terrified. But after talking to the police she realises that her father's business dealings can't be so innocent. With her father away it is left to Charlie to protect her mother.
Published November 1st 2009 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie

Leanne
I have read loads of Lesley Pearses books and love her as an author. I enjoyed this book too, though I don't think it was one of her best. It was quite drawn out and sagged a bit in the middle. I think it's because I'm comparing it to some of her other really superb ones like Belle and Trust me. Had I have read this first I probably would have rated it higher. Though definitely worth a go.
Resident Optimist
This is a re-read so my full review is on another edition.

Merged review:

I loved this a lot more when I read it the first time round but then again I was only 11/12, I like Pearse's writing and recommend her books to all who don't mind a good story stretched over a couple of hundred pages. I felt the story could have been shortened slightly to cut down on time-wastage but nevermind, this book in particular reminds me of when I first became addicted to books, although.. I don't think this book was...more
Kathryn
I loved this book! Don't be deceived by the cover - it's not fluffy at all, lots of gritty gangland style stuff going on!

I found the story very interesting, however I wasn't properly convinced at the believability of meeting someone else 'connected' (don't want to spoil for others) at work!

Would recommend this to others, and has confirmed that Lesley Pearse is an author I like!
this is definately my favourite of all the lesely pearse books. this was the first 1 i read and i have read and re read it many times. i personally think that she has written a fantastic story, reason for the 5 stars,

this isnt normally what i read its more of the sort of thing i fall back on when i dont ant something so heavy love them all though
Terena
I am a fan of Lesley Pearse, and I loved this book... quite a shocking example of how your whole life can turn around in one split second with no warning. Although I think one of the coincidences was a little incredible, the plot rattled along and it didn't seem like an almost 700 page book.
Julielenore
This is the fourth Lesley Pearse book I have read. It was quite different than the others. The beginning of the book was promising, but towards the end it slowed down dramatically, and I had a difficult time finishing it.
Jo
A bit of a mammoth read at almost 700 pages but once I was into it I had to keep reading to find out what happened to Charlie next. It did get a bit silly towards the end but a real page turner.
Azlinda
Charlie was my 1st novel by Lesley Pearse given by my boyfriend (now my hubby). i simply loves reading history n abt how women survived in those days. charlie is a heart-warming saga.
Debbie Harvey
great story, hard to put down
Shermi Perera
a nice story and a fat book too. i like the story of charlie. one can read this book without being too lazy because the story is a real page turner
Laurie
A big fat book. Took me a while to get through with this book but it was a fairly interesting story and I cared for the main characters.
Karen Sherwood
As always, a great page turner which kept you going through the various story lines. I love all her work and this didn't disappoint!
Tracey Tremblay
I have read many Lesley Pearse books but for some reason it felt like it was dragging on until the last 5 chapters. 4/5 stars
Ophelia
Loved it, the first novel I read by Lesley Pearce, but I have bought two others and am looking forward to reading them!
Sasha
Best of her books, I found highly gripping with all the trimmings including romance and mystery
Kerry
Another good book by Lesley. I wasn't keen on the main character though but still a good read.
Louise Jennings
As usual lesley Pearce has written an amazing book making it easy to draw yourself into the story.
Della
This is a great book and even tho' it was a 600 plus page book I enjoyed it to the end.
Beth
This was my first Lesley Pearce book and probably my favourite of all.
Jennifer Simms
First Lesley Pearse book I read....have been hooked on her ever since
Shirley
A wonderful book like all by Pearse!!!
Jacki
Another gripping book loved it .
Nisha Patel
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Before I Forget
  • A French Affair
  • Francesca's Party
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists with fans across the globe and sales of over 2 million copies of her books to date. A true storyteller and a master of gripping storylines that keep the reader hooked from beginning to end, Pearse introduces you to characters that it is impossible not to care about or forget. There is no formula to her books or easily defined genre. Whether cri...more
More about Lesley Pearse...
Belle Remember Me Stolen Never Look Back Gypsy