Start by marking “Charlie” as Want to Read:
Charlie

Charlie

When sixteen-year-old Charlie witnesses a brutal attack on her mother by two strangers she is shocked and terrified. But after talking to the police she realises that her father's business dealings can't be so innocent. With her father away it is left to Charlie to protect her mother.
Published March 25th 1999 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie

Ruby Boyer
Dec 03, 2016 Ruby Boyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
wow! like i say over and over again, Lesley Pearse is just my all time favourite Author! A fantastic story line which keeps you hooked from start to finish, which considering the book is nearly 700 pages it would be hard to do. It definitely isn't for Lesley. I now have only one book of hers left out of 24 to read, I am gutted.
Tracy Kellies
Stopped half way... Don't know why I could not finish this book. Will give it another try some day...
Marilyn Swift
not one of her better books
Resident Optimist
Dec 31, 2014 Resident Optimist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a re-read so my full review is on another edition.

Merged review:

I loved this a lot more when I read it the first time round but then again I was only 11/12, I like Pearse's writing and recommend her books to all who don't mind a good story stretched over a couple of hundred pages. I felt the story could have been shortened slightly to cut down on time-wastage but nevermind, this book in particular reminds me of when I first became addicted to books, although.. I don't think this book was
Kathryn
Feb 11, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Don't be deceived by the cover - it's not fluffy at all, lots of gritty gangland style stuff going on!

I found the story very interesting, however I wasn't properly convinced at the believability of meeting someone else 'connected' (don't want to spoil for others) at work!

Would recommend this to others, and has confirmed that Lesley Pearse is an author I like!
Jo
Jan 30, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a mammoth read at almost 700 pages but once I was into it I had to keep reading to find out what happened to Charlie next. It did get a bit silly towards the end but a real page turner.
Shermi Perera
Aug 31, 2008 Shermi Perera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a nice story and a fat book too. i like the story of charlie. one can read this book without being too lazy because the story is a real page turner
Della
Dec 10, 2013 Della rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book and even tho' it was a 600 plus page book I enjoyed it to the end.
Lorraine
Not one of her best books.
Rajashekar Pathipaka
One of the heart breaking fictions from Lesley. As usual her graphical diction is very superb. Ofcourse , I have seen so many similarities in her book like putting her character in different kinds of ordeals. In this I liked every single character from Charlie to Miss Dexters. Andrew blake to Ivor. In every one of them write showed their circumstances. Charlie never faced so many trouble as other characters did in this book. Rita one of the ex-tripper’s plight in unimaginable. All the girls expe ...more
Leanne
Jan 18, 2014 Leanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read loads of Lesley Pearses books and love her as an author. I enjoyed this book too, though I don't think it was one of her best. It was quite drawn out and sagged a bit in the middle. I think it's because I'm comparing it to some of her other really superb ones like Belle and Trust me. Had I have read this first I probably would have rated it higher. Though definitely worth a go.
Jul 11, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is definately my favourite of all the lesely pearse books. this was the first 1 i read and i have read and re read it many times. i personally think that she has written a fantastic story, reason for the 5 stars,

this isnt normally what i read its more of the sort of thing i fall back on when i dont ant something so heavy love them all though
Kate Hooper
Mar 28, 2016 Kate Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an easy read to dip in and out of. The plot lines being somewhat predictable didn't really detract from the tale as it was told in Lesley Pearse's usual creative way. The characters were well explained and evoked responses toward them. A good read
Terena
Jan 06, 2015 Terena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I am a fan of Lesley Pearse, and I loved this book... quite a shocking example of how your whole life can turn around in one split second with no warning. Although I think one of the coincidences was a little incredible, the plot rattled along and it didn't seem like an almost 700 page book.
Julielenore
This is the fourth Lesley Pearse book I have read. It was quite different than the others. The beginning of the book was promising, but towards the end it slowed down dramatically, and I had a difficult time finishing it.
Margaret Cunningham
Another great book by Lesley Pearse..although I didn't enjoy it as much as some of her others, I am still giving it 5 stars...it did keep me up very, very late... :)
Azlinda
Jul 31, 2015 Azlinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-novel
Charlie was my 1st novel by Lesley Pearse given by my boyfriend (now my hubby). i simply loves reading history n abt how women survived in those days. charlie is a heart-warming saga.
Laurie
Aug 20, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big fat book. Took me a while to get through with this book but it was a fairly interesting story and I cared for the main characters.
catarina oliveira
Dec 04, 2014 catarina oliveira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livro impressionante.. No inicio nunca pensei que o livro tomasse este rumo e foi um rumo fascinante
Ophelia
Jul 10, 2013 Ophelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, the first novel I read by Lesley Pearce, but I have bought two others and am looking forward to reading them!
Iris
Jun 14, 2015 Iris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started off good.. but at nearly 700 pages i felt it needed to be shortened...struggled to finish it..
Karen Sherwood
Nov 25, 2012 Karen Sherwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, a great page turner which kept you going through the various story lines. I love all her work and this didn't disappoint!
Tracey Tremblay
Apr 09, 2014 Tracey Tremblay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many Lesley Pearse books but for some reason it felt like it was dragging on until the last 5 chapters. 4/5 stars
Mai
Jul 28, 2016 Mai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the first half of the novel but the second half was boring and too long with no need.
Lisa Fallon
Lisa Fallon rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Nadine Jones
Nadine Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Kate Noble
Kate Noble rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2014
  • Almost A Crime
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • If My Father Loved Me
  • Caroline's Sister
  • Boob Envy
  • Cold Blooded (Nick McCarty, # 1)
  • The Dollmaker's Daughters
  • Lost for Words
  • The Beachcomber
  • Going La La
  • Goodnight Lady
  • The Bronte Project
  • A French Affair
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists with fans across the globe and sales of over 2 million copies of her books to date. A true storyteller and a master of gripping storylines that keep the reader hooked from beginning to end, Pearse introduces you to characters that it is impossible not to care about or forget. There is no formula to her books or easily defined genre. Whether cri ...more
More about Lesley Pearse...