The Adventure of Christmas: Helping Children Find Jesus in Our Holiday Traditions

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  12 reviews

The ADVENTure of Christmas
is a guide for moms concerned that their children are losing sight of Jesus in the midst of the distractions the holiday season brings. Lisa Whelchel was such a mom, but instead of abandoning the traditions of Christmas she rediscovered their original meanings, which were intended to remind people of God’s unfathomable gift. Hanging lights on th...more
Published September 9th 2004 by Multnomah Books

Amanda
Love this book! I may need to buy it because I doubt I can remember all the information. It shows all the ways that Christ really is in everything at Christmas and little projects to do with our kids and teachable moments to make it real for them. Many of the ideas I'm going to try and present to our MOPS group.
Leslie
This is an excellent book for keeping the celebration of Christmas centered on Christ. It covers many traditions, giving the history if applicable, along with suggestions for teachable moments and an activity to do together. Very practical and easy to follow.
Kara
We use this book every year in the month leading up to Christmas to focus on the meaning behind the familiar symbols and traditions of Christmas. It's a beautiful, practical, well-laid out book with great ideas and suggestions for all ages.
Chelcey
It's all about Christmas traditions, so naturally, I love it! Also has some neat conversation starters with kids relating to the tradition and recipes to try out.
And I love the illustrations.
Hailey
This book is awesome it talks abought Jesus and what Christmas is all abought, it's not abought presents and Santa and all the other stuff it's abought when Jesus was born!
;)
Kim
Has some really sweet traditions and crafts and ideas for the holidays. Has some very basic stuff so don't look to be blown away but you will be pleased with this book, I think.
Colleen
I love this book. I pull it out around Thanksgiving, and try to start a "new" tradition with the kids each year. I recommend it!
Emily
Has some great ideas about creating traditions and keeping God the center of it. Not as extensive as I thought, but still good.
Janet Bell
Great ideas of things to do for Advent and how to explain some of our Christmas traditions to and with your kids.
Kristin
Excellent book, but hard to find. I found one of two copies at Hearts at Home conference.
Trish
Dec 10, 2012 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Fiction; Juvenile
4 stars
Lisa Alexa
Fun and interesting!
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Kendra
Kendra added it
Nov 01, 2013
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
She-Rah
She-Rah marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Nicole Wilmoth lopez
Nicole Wilmoth lopez marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It Friendship for Grownups The Facts of Life: And Other Lessons My Father Taught Me Taking Care of the Me in Mommy: Becoming a Better Mom - Spirit, Body & Soul