Start by marking “Titus - O herdeiro de Gormenghast” as Want to Read:
Titus - O herdeiro de Gormenghast

Titus - O herdeiro de Gormenghast (Gormenghast #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,623 Ratings  ·  838 Reviews
Titus, o Herdeiro de Gormenghast é literatura fantástica mas não se assemelha a nada que tenha sido escrito antes ou depois. Gormenghast é um castelo antiquíssimo, do tamanho de uma cidade e que, tanto quanto sabemos, pode ser a única construção em todo o mundo. Sem pontos de referência para a nossa realidade, o romance adquire uma atmosfera surreal e mágica. As personagen ...more
Published September 2010 by Camões & Companhia (first published January 1st 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Titus - O herdeiro de Gormenghast, please sign up.

The Usual Crikey!
I'm not even going to try to answer the first part of the question because:
1/ It would probably take an entire essay to do the job properly.…more
Crikey!
I'm not even going to try to answer the first part of the question because:
1/ It would probably take an entire essay to do the job properly.
2/ I don't subscribe to Tolstoy's notions of what constitutes "good" and "bad" art. And
3/ I strongly suspect I'm not bright enough to understand what you're driving at.
This brings me to part 2.
To me, Titus Groan is a delight to read, which is more than I can say for Tolkien. Whilst I would never accuse my fellow readers of ineptitude (reserving that for certain best-selling writers), it is a quite densely written book. and does require a decent vocabulary. Presumably this does put a few people off, as does the claustrophobic atmosphere, and the way that the plot is really just something to hang the (frankly gorgeous and deliciously overwritten) descriptive passages on.
It's one of those books that you either love or hate depending on whether you "get it" or not. (less)

Bill  Kerwin
Jul 18, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gothic

What an odd fantasy! No swords, no sorcery, no elves, no thieves, no imaginary beasts, no multiple planes of existence . . . nothing but a cavernous castle peopled by eccentrics with Dickensian names (Sepulchrave, Prunesquallor, Swelter, Flay) whose lives are determined by centuries--perhaps millenia--of complex rituals. Although the people themselves seem to be British, the enormous burden of tradition under which they labor seems Asiatic in its detailed intensity, and it is instructive to lear
J.G. Keely
I know of no author in all of the English language who is like Peake, or who could aspire to be like him. His voice is as unique as that of Milton, Bierce, Conrad, Blake, Donne, or Eliot, and as fully-realized. I am a hard and critical man, cynical and not easily moved, but there are passages in the Gormenghast series which so shocked me by the force of their beauty that I would close my eyes and snap the book shut, overwhelmed with wonderment, and take a moment to catch my breath.

I would drop m
Evgeny
Nov 12, 2015 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dear book,

I am breaking up with you. It is not me, it is you. It is not you, it is me; others think you are really cute. I thought you were more romantic and mysterious. I got bored with you, but this is really just me. There were moments I was really happy and excited with you, even if they were few and between. Unfortunately these moments came too late in our relationships. You are a good guy and I hope you will find happiness in your life. Please do not invite me to a date: I am washing my ha
Agnieszka
Mar 22, 2015 Agnieszka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before

Imagine a gigantic , gothic-like edifice with an endless maze of galleries , roofs , stairs and secret passages . There are the Stone Lanes and the Hall of Bright Carvings , cat room and Hall of Spiders , the Tower of Flints and somewhere up in the clouds a Field of Flagstones ; there are forgotten wings , dark corridors , dusty attics ; there are primeval cedars and emerald mirrors of lawns . The castle , truly stony monster , is huge and in
Cecily
How to review this weird and wonderful book? The setting, characters and plot etc are extraordinary, but it is the language that is utterly bewitching. The fact Peake was also an artist is evident in the special care with which he describes light (or absence of), skin and textures.

It is usually classed as fantasy, but it is more like historical fiction, with an occasional dash of the supernatural - magical realism set in the past. Or is it? This first volume has a profound sense of place (Gormen
Megha
Jan 30, 2013 Megha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
“This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.”
There stands the Gormenghast - as if sealed inside a crystal ball - looming in all its grotesque wonder. The old, musty smell. The susurrus of narrow passages. The torches casting an eerie circle of light. The hustle and bustle of the castle dwe
Markus
”The darkness came down over the castle and the Twisted Woods and over Gormenghast Mountain. The long tables of the Dwellers were hidden in the thickness of a starless night….”

This is the book hailed by Tolkien separatists as one to rival The Lord of the Rings. This is the book that supposedly is the best book in the fantasy genre. We are all entitled to our opinions, but after having read Titus Groan, I simply cannot understand why anyone would even come close to that conclusion.

To me, this i
Lynne King
Sep 29, 2013 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favo
My favourite book of all time is “The Alexandria Quartet” by Lawrence Durrell but I have now met a worthy contender in Mervyn Peake’s “Titus Groan” to bring to the same elevated level. The books marry very well indeed and the two distinct structures span the gamut of every conceivable emotion that the human brain is capable of absorbing I believe. So I’m on a win-win situation here with both books.

And as for this tour de force, how can one even attempt to describe the amazing prose that Peake ha
Paul Bryant
Aug 30, 2010 Paul Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Mervyn Peake was one of those gifted people you burningly resent, he was a brilliant artist and then he thought oh I need something else to occupy my time when I'm not doing brilliant drawings and paintings, hmm what can I do, ah yes I'll write one of the century's greatest fantasies in one of the most individual and beautiful prose styles, and create about a dozen of the most memorable and delightful characters in all of fiction, including a real heartbreaker of a heroine called Fuchsia, yes, h ...more
Ian Vinogradus
The World of Gormenghast

"Titus Groan" is a work of fantasy constructed in a painterly manner without much obvious concern for narrative dynamism.

First, Mervyn Peake builds the static grey stone world of Gormenghast Castle, then he populates it with Lord Sepulchrave (the Earl of Groan) and a few key members and servants of his family, and finally bit by bit he permits them to interact.

The world of Gormenghast has a Gothic solidity about it. It has been built from the hallowed ground up out of bot
Christopher Paolini
Titus Groan is another one of my favorite books and it, along with The Worm Ouroboros, had a big influence on me while writing the Inheritance Cycle. The prose is incredible—it’s the ultimate gothic fantasy. And it’s so rich, it’s actually a little bit hard to read in one sitting; it’s better taken in small chunks.

Mervyn Peake, like so many authors who survived and endured the World Wars—World War One particularly—had a sense of the grotesque and the grotesquely beautiful that is hard to find.
Brian
May 28, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to believe that this book was written by a human. It reads like an unearthed mythology, discovered on a far away planet in a cave filled with treasure.

Derivating from the Tolkien model for fantasy, Peake's genius is certainly the progenitor for all non horses-and-swords books of the genre. And his ability to create an ensemble book without a strong lead character is simply amazing. There should be a graduate class taught on his methods of characterization and the importance of co
Mike (the Paladin)
Well...sorry. I'm sure many will be a bit shocked and saddened by my rating. It only goes to show that as I've said before when it comes to novels it's a bit of "to each their own".

This is a wonderfully well written novel and has been around since 1946. There are different types of fantasy. To simply say this is epic fantasy doesn't really tell you anything as it simply tells you the "tale" is of epic scale. I'd say that in a way (as they are in some sense contemporaries)This book and The Lord o
midnightfaerie
Dec 12, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a drive on the dark side? Something grotesque and dripping with unwarranted behavior? How about some characters that are so repulsive, you can't help but be drawn into their world? A world of such descriptive horror that you're both terrified to watch, yet oddly hypnotized? Well, then step right in, into the world of Titus Groan, the next Earl of Groan, the heir of Gormenghast Castle, the castle which is pretty much our main character in and of itself. It's a place where time seems t ...more
Gregor Xane
Titus Groan is considered by many to be a masterpiece of the literature of the fantastic. I don't think that I can argue with that assessment. However, I can say that it's a masterpiece that I certainly wasn't pleased to be reading for much of the time I was doing so. The primary reason for this was that I felt that it was overly descriptive, tediously so. And I think of myself as someone who has a high tolerance for fictional works that others deem too descriptive.

Below you'll find a passage d
Jonathan

Titus Groan is a novel that defies classification yet it is one hundred percent powerfully written and one hundred percent a classic. It is however not for those who don't like to patiently sit through a long, description driven narrative. But for those who appreciate those elements in a work of fiction or perhaps those who found the unique ideas of The Trial interesting I strongly recommend this novel.

The best genre that I could possibly associate this with is fantasy. However it is also a nove
Kyle
Dec 15, 2012 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
In very broad terms, writers have to deal with two main issues when putting their stories to paper: the 'macro' issue (i.e., the overall plot, theme(s), and desired character development), and the 'micro' issue (wordsmithing, prose, and style). The greatest writers, in their greatest works, manage to nail one issue, while successfully covering their shortcomings on the other. Mervyn Peake not only managed to nail both issues in toto, he is left with plenty of literary "hammer power" to spare.

Lik
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Titus Groan is the tale of a bunch of truly odd and grotesque people living in a grotesque old castle.

description

Maybe it's just me (neither bleak nor grotesque is my thing; put them together and I'm liable to slit my throat), but I just could not with this book. I generally love fantasy of all kinds, but I found this book very creepy in an off-putting kind of way, sort of like one of Tim Burton's weirder movies. (I still haven't forgiven him for Batman Returns.)

It was also grim and gruesome and boring. So
Vit Babenco
Jul 12, 2016 Vit Babenco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good and evil: good is open but fragile, evil is strong and it hides…
Titus Groan is a conflict of the new and the old, a clash of the neoteric and the traditional… But first of all it is a collision of the extraordinary and the commonplace.
“Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its out
Prakriti
May 22, 2012 Prakriti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is much easier to like Gormenghast after you are done reading it. Because reading it is a torturous experience like none other.

It has taken me close to three and a half months to finish this 470 pages book, that too with enforced discipline and self goading way beyond my normal will power (I finished a book of 270 pages in a day - yesterday, just as a comparison).

It is very well written, no doubt, and aspiring writers perhaps could read this again and again. For a reader who is looking for a
Fatin
Jun 18, 2013 Fatin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, people who enjoy dark fairy-tales
Recommended to Fatin by: Jonathan
Shelves: reviewed, owned, fantasy
As far as the entertainment factor is considered, I wouldn't say this book is very entertaining, it's a story told, but for what purpose, I have not yet decided.
The writing is beautiful, the castle comes alive, and you can its pulse. The characters are real, they're weird as hell, but they're real, and everything is described to the point where it stirs alive in your mind, but the amount of description does not bog down the story, as is the case with most fantasy novels. The "evil" character, t
John
Mar 21, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, 2009
Like Moby Dick - or even Lolita - Titus Groan uses a poetic, highly personalized, almost extravagant and over the top prose style to depict grotesque, extreme people going about dark, absurd things. Peake’s characters and the world they live in seem like Gorey or Kubin drawings brought to life, and, what’s extraordinary is that they don’t just seem that way in description, they actually talk that way – the dialogue is some of the most bizarre yet fitting and purposeful of any I’ve read. Peake’s ...more
Mosca
Sep 28, 2012 Mosca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Wow!

This is some of the most impressive prose I've experienced in a while. And the book itself is unlike any other I've read. The use of the language kept me hooked throughout. The plot is enigmatic and entangling. The characters are numerous and, frequently, described in hilarious detail.

The language consistently moves the reader along with a poetic rhythm that is often humorous, satiric, loving, mystical, evocative, lyrical, terrifying, seductive and always intoxicating.

There is no other
Jul 13, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, that took forever. When someone (don't ask me who) said that this was a giant of the fantasy genre, I thought "Well, I should give this a try." Freaking A. Talk about boring. And dull. And excessively long.
Plot? Sure there was one. I just didn't seem to care all that much about it.
Fantastical locations? Also present, just explained in a way that was reminiscent of 10th grade English class. I felt I should be taking notes in the margins on the metaphoric use of color.
So, it all comes down
Jason P
Jan 04, 2014 Jason P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Titus Groan was fantastic! I loved the different world that you get hooked on to. Mervyn Peake writes beautifully, he has such a magical way with words. He helps you visualize the castle of Gormenghast which is vast and immense. The sky line is littered with peaked roofs, a multitude of turrets jut-out from the Towers. Here is a visual, you gotta see this:
description
Imagine growing up there! HA! The story was great and it was well told too, it had me laughing my butt off, especially when reading The Twins.
Kyle Muntz
Jan 11, 2016 Kyle Muntz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really excellent. I've been thinking of reading this book for years (so much the idea of a society in an immense castle is something I've borrowed in a few stories), and I even started one time and gave up, so it was great to go back and enjoy it so much. I haven't had the best luck with books over the last few months, and this felt like it fixed all the problems I've had with everything else: the solidity of the narration and structure (which always felt compelling despite the very stylized, ba ...more
Frank
More and more often I don't finish books because I just don't have the time for bad or boring books, and besides I find it's actually depressing to get bogged down in them. Unfortunately this was one of them. I didn't get past page 150 or so, definitely feeling it wouldn't get much better or even different. I so would have liked to like this better. I recently saw a small exhibition about his life and work at the British Library, and this is what made me finally start this novel. The drawings on ...more
Sumant
May 17, 2015 Sumant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gormenghast
Titus groan is a unique book, because after finishing this book it is very hard for me to describe this book in exact words.The experience of reading this book was for me like which you have after drinking wine because like wine the book stays with you for long time.It is due to this fact it took a long time for me to read this book although page wise it can be considered as a short book.After reading and closing the book, the chapter which you have read stays with you and you think did the auth ...more
Alex
Jul 08, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
"Wagner has some wonderful moments . . . and some perfectly dreadful quarters of an hour!" - Rossini

Rossini, one of the greatest of all Opera composers was not too appreciative of that other acknowledged Opera genius, Wagner. I really love Wagner, but having sat through Tristan und Isolde with a wretched cold or Meistersinger von Nurnberg when I was painfully tired, I've often appreciated Rossini's sentiment.

The link is, perhaps, that I was equally desperate to turn the last page on this wretch
Louise
Jun 27, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything else I read seems flat and thin compared to Titus Groan. I didn't think I would enjoy a book so densely described, and peopled with such unlikeable characters, and yet I love it madly.

I agree with another reviewer who calls it "continually oppressive". It feels like it is always raining heavily in Gormenghast, and the intrigues and conspiracies are the fruit of a long confinement indoors. None of the characters are at all pleasant, and yet they are wildly interesting and complicated.
  • Lud-in-the-Mist
  • The Complete Lyonesse
  • Viriconium
  • The Etched City
  • A Voyage to Arcturus
  • The Swords of Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5)
  • Sweet Dreams
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Zothique
  • Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1)
  • Peace
  • The Malacia Tapestry
  • Jurgen
22018
Mervyn Laurence Peake was an English modernist writer, artist, poet and illustrator. He is best known for what are usually referred to as the Gormenghast books, though the Titus books would be more accurate: the three works that exist were the beginning of what Peake conceived as a lengthy cycle, following his protagonist Titus Groan from cradle to grave, but Peake's untimely death prevented compl ...more
More about Mervyn Peake...

Gormenghast (5 books)
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • Boy in Darkness
  • Titus Alone (Gormenghast, #3)
  • Titus Awakes: The Lost Book of Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #4)

“And now, my poor old woman, why are you crying so bitterly? It is autumn. The leaves are falling from the trees like burning tears- the wind howls. Why must you mimic them?” 128 likes
“Lingering is so very lonely when one lingers all alone.” 127 likes