Blank-133x176
Capitol Conspiracy

William Bernhardt

Capitol Conspiracy (Ben Kincaid #16)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Oklahoma defense attorney Ben Kincaid has found himself smack in the middle of more than a few controversies and deadly predicaments–and the unexpected leap from his modest Tulsa law offices to Washington, D.C.’s Senate chamber hasn’t taken the edge off Ben’s knack for stepping into the line of fire. Now the idealistic junior senator is plunged into the thick of lethal int...more
Published January 15th 2008 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2008)

Jacob
While I enjoyed the storyline of the book, it was very poorly researched. Most books in this genre make sure they get the little details right (e.g., building names, complicated processes), but this book does not. It labels the congressional office buildings with the wrong names, it mislabels bills in the U.S. Senate, and generally has a poor understanding of the legislative process. Researching these small things to make the back story more realistic would have gone a long way for me liking the...more
Steve
re-read April 2014. i raised it from a 4 to 5 stars.

The nightmare begins with the abduction and murder of the director of Homeland Security; escalates with the killing of the Senate minority leader, who is felled in his office by an envelope laced with weaponized poison; and comes to a shattering climax at the site of the Oklahoma City Memorial, where a fusillade of sniper fire meant for the president claims unintended victims. In all, twelve people perish in the melee, while Ben himself narrowl...more
Marianne
May 27, 2010 Marianne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marianne by: beckma43@yahoo.com
Bernhardt is one of my many favorite authors. I've saved memorable quotes. P. 375 "These are perilous times, unique in our national history. The greatest danger we face is not terrorists, but the thudding impact of unexamined certainty. doubt is healthy. doubt is evidence of thought."

I learned about "legislative holds". A senator can anonymously object to a bill, thereby stopping it from ever reaching a debate. A senator can except pork for withdrawing the objection, then passing the objection...more
Fredrick Danysh
Ben Kincaid, freshman senator from Oklahoma, is newly married and attending an event inOklahoma City with the president when an apparent terrorist kills fourteen people including the first lady. Ben's lifelong friend is wounded and is rendered comatose when the president's limo expplodes. As a result Ben agrees to serve as point man for the president's drive for an antiterrorist amendment to the Constitution that could eliminate the Bill of Rights. But not all the evidence points in the right di...more
Dex Wood
Been reading this one for three weeks and have started and finished two others and am still not enthusiastic to get back into it. I use to like the Ben Kincaid series when I was younger.
Kay
Since 9/11 most authors have been pushing politics into their writing. At least Bernhardt did it more honestly by taking his main character who was a Tulsa lawyer and sending him to Washington DC as a Senator. I liked Ben better as a lawyer and I don't always agree with his politics, but it's much better than Stuart Woods who throws in politicals digs thru his fluff mysteries. Or better than Sara Paretsky who throws in all kinds of stupid political garbage in her Warshawski series [totally out o...more
Andrea
This is the third book I've recently read that seemed as though its author was tired of his series' main characters and didn't quite know what to do with them. Ben didn't strike me as a well-fleshed character at all, but I did love Christina. As for the plot, that was completely predictable, and the lectures on the Bill of Rights got to be too preachy for my tastes. And I was turned off by the graphic descriptions of torture and sex. All that being said, I really want to go back and read some of...more
Mary Beth
Another Kincaid novel. A seemingly terroristic attack on the president ends in the death of the first lady. The president introduced a constitutional amendment that would make the Patriot Act seem pale. Since the times seemed so dire the American people embraced the amendment. Congrees approved it and then it was up to the Senate. Naturally, Ben Kincaid got involved to find the truth.

The author's purpose is to make us think twice about willingly laying aside our amendment rights even in a crisis...more
Ellen
First, I've noticed that some of the Goodreads reviews of this book are actually reviews of a different book. This one has Kincaid as an attorney in the White House when hackers find a way to launch our ballistic missles and use them against us. The bad guys also have stolen a nuclear suitcase.

That out of the way, I'll now say that I hate to give a bad review of a Goodreads author, but I have to do it now. This is the first Bernhardt book I've read and I wasn't impressed. I'd call it unrealisti...more
Bernie Charbonneau
I keep on reading this series of novels that involve the affable lawyer-senator Ben Kincaid. With all the other books it's no wonder that the White House can function without him. These novels are by no means deep but are just a pleasant get-away from the everyday grind. This novel is no different. A president fighting for his seat because of the 25th Amendment, a nuclear bomb threatening the east coast and a middle east dictator trying to bring the U.S. to there knees. What better way than to s...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Ben Kincaid is in the middle of another controversy as he sits in Senate for the state of Oklahoma. This one I found very interesting in that the plot was based on an amendment to the U.S. Constitution with an anti-terrorism law that would curtail civil liberties. Of course with any Bernhardt novel you also have a couple of murders that Ben must also solve. In this one not only does the President fall into an assassination attempt but it happens twice! I can't put this series down and look forwa...more
Rick Ludwig
In this outing, newly minted Senator Kincaid has to face a terrorist threat and needs the help of all of his team to get the bottom of things, without getting himself or anyone else killed. Ben allows us to learn along with him the less obvious aspects of Senatorial life and introduces us to some interesting new characters, with significant power and equally significant secrets. This one throbs with danger and action in a manner even exceptional for this always exciting series. Great job.
Kathi
The book kept me reading till the end despite some rather contrived dialogue and a definite political bias. I usually NEVER read a series out of order and would not have read this had I realized that it was part of a series. Now I will find and read the others and see if some of the other goodreads reviews of this book apply to them..they sure do not apply to Capitol Conspiracy.
Sheryl
I don't really enjoy suspense thriller. I thought this one was a little to complicated and got out of the writers control. Some times the plot needed help and it resorted to convenient fixes and sometimes the plot just didn't make sense. Maybe it was because the motives were not well developed. Plot got in the way too of itself. Also, too much sex, it was not necessary.
Gordon Clifford
Bernhardt is usually one of my favorites. The torture scene he opens this book with is very graphic and painful to read. The plot then becomes quite predictable, and characters seem to be just standing around waiting to act out the usual political sitcom routine. Good Book to read at bedtime it made me sleepy.
Pb4ugo
I should have known better than to give this series another try. This is the fourth and last one I have read. They are almost too silly to finish. Perhaps as Young Adult fiction they compare favorably with others aimed at that audience.

It's hard to believe that the same author who wrote Dark Eye did this one.
Linda
A really good read, particularly with issues like terrorism facing our nation today. Mr. Bernhardt did a very good job of layering the workings of the Congress and Senate, and their annoying and always frustrating ways.

The end had just enough of a twist the leave me smiling!
Carolyn Thompson
Can't help it, I love political thrillers and this is a great one. Lessons about the importance of the Bill of Rights and how easily they can be eliminated. Twists and turns, and edge-of-your-seat,fast-paced and hard to put down.
Jami
Boring. The only thing that got me a quarter of the way in was that it is set in Oklahoma. Otherwise, the way it written seems amateurish. This is an established author so to me the dialog style seems ridiculous .
Anne
I read some of this author's earlier books and enjoyed him. I also liked this one too. it had a suspensful story, a decent hero, and although I don't agree with everything in it, it was well written.
Stephanie
The third (and hopefully not last) novel in the Capitol series involving Ben Kincaid. I enjoyed this much more than I did Capitol Threat and can only hope that they keep getting better and better.
Gail
A political thriller set after 9/11 in the U.S.A.The setting is Washington D.C. and involves Congress, the President, the F.B.I.& the Secret Service. An interesting book.
Pooch
Office would have "two chairs & a dead plant"

President's wife assassinated in OK City

President moves to suspend Bill of Rights "as needed"

A novel for our times
Elaine
I liked this book, but not as well as the ones before Ben became a senator. Even though I agreed with the sentiments expressed in the book, it seemed a tad preachy.
Michelle Gallagher
Just started reading his books and am loving them. Can't wait to go back and read all his past books. I do think it would have been better if I read them in order.
Rcity1
Bernhardt is one of my very favorite authors. We actually email each other. I loved this book! Is the latest in a series. Great story and characters!
Roberta Marro
This is the first one of this series I have listened to. The plot was pretty engrossing and the book was pretty amusing.
Mark R.
Not impressed. He also gave the number of Japanese-Americans interred during WWII as around 4,000, when it was closer to 100,000.
Ratforce
Capitol Conspiracy by William Bernhardt is a legal thriller with a political twist, and sounds right up your alley.
Bill
I thought this was ok.... a simliar style to Baldacci.... couldnt get into the conspiracy as much...
  • Shadow Command (Patrick McLanahan, #14)
  • Bodily Harm (David Sloane, #3)
  • Invasion of Privacy
  • Treasure Hunt (Hunt Club, #2)
  • The Last Alibi (Jason Kolarich, #4)
  • Outrage (Butch Karp, #23)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Private Screening (Tony Lord #1)
  • Now or Never
  • Eureka
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Vertical Coffin (Shane Scully, #4)
  • Sniper's Honor (Bob Lee Swagger, #9)
William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chill you while i...more
More about William Bernhardt...
Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1) Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4) Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2) Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6) Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)