Start by marking “Diet For A Dead Planet: How The Food Industry Is Killing Us” as Want to Read:
Diet For A Dead Planet: How The Food Industry Is Killing Us

Diet For A Dead Planet: How The Food Industry Is Killing Us

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Mad Cow disease, bird flu epidemics, tainted meat scandals, and Mercury-laced fish - we are evidently surrounded by unsafe food. In this riveting and timely investigation, award-winning journalist Christopher D. Cook takes us beyond Fast Food Nation to explain why our entire food system - from farm to dinner table - is in crisis. Corporate consolidation of farms and superm ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by The New Press

To ask other readers questions about Diet For A Dead Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diet For A Dead Planet

Cwn_annwn_13
The author does such a good job of showing what utter rats agribusiness/chain grocery stores/pesticide companies are I have to give this a five star rating. Environmental damage, exploitive labor practices, factory farms, unhealthy and at times out and out toxic food supply, destruction of the family farms, the FDA/USDA being there more to see to it that big food gets what they want instead of protecting the public. All of this is covered in Diet for a Dead Planet. Even the farm subsidies, which ...more
Matthew Harbowy
Acting as adequate counterpoints, Barry Glassner's "The Gospel of Food" and Christopher Cook's "Diet for a Dead Planet" provide an interesting contrast on agribusiness.

Cook's "Diet" is almost universally a polemic: despite this, his book is most fascinating during part II, tracing the roots of the conversion from agrarianism pre 1800's, and proceeds to modern corporate monoculture agribusiness of today. Rather than opening with this story and presenting a coherent explanation for "the way things
Paulreynv
Apr 04, 2016 Paulreynv rated it really liked it
this book is so dense with information that it took me forever to read, but it was incredibly educational. it really helps put a lot of things together.
Jimi Remick
Jan 22, 2008 Jimi Remick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author give us a glimpse into the ire strait our food system is in an how the corporate food industry is to blame. A riveting an disturbing view of how our most basic necessity-food has become big business which has lead to all sorts of environmental social and economical problems that must be dealt with. Cook brings a fresh approach to how and what we should eat. The book put an emphasis on healthy (physically an environmentally) sustainably produced food.Cook argues that what we don't know ...more
Stellaluna
Apr 18, 2016 Stellaluna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Let's just say it's terrifying.
Kelly
Apr 20, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only gave it a low rating because it bored me a little. It's my own fault; I've read similar books before and so it seemed a little preaching-to-the-choir for me. But it is very in depth, well-researched, and a pretty easy read if you're into the subject matter. This isn't a vegetarian propaganda book, either, it goes beyond animal ethics to problems with grocery stores, food distribution, and health issues. It's basically a good source of information for the average person who isn't aware of ...more
Ethicurean Reads
Going beyond fast food and GMOs to explain why our entire food system is in crisis, Cook tells how corporate control of farms and supermarkets, unsustainable drives to increase agribusiness profits, misplaced subsidies for exports, and anemic regulation have all combined to produce a grim harvest. Cook argues cogently for a whole new way of looking at what we eat — one that places healthy, sustainably produced food at the top of the menu for political change.
Wendy
Jul 15, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves:
Started at 5 stars, but going downhill quickly. The first section of this book was interesting- talking about how tainted meat is in the food supply. Now, I feel like I'm reading "The History of Farming in America: How Farming is Intertwined with Economics and Politics". My husband says to skip the section, but I figure, it's probably good for me, and it certainly helps me get to sleep at night! I guess this book is probably above my reading level...
Erin
Apr 21, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in the early part of this decade, so a lot of their supporting material is from the 80s, 90s, and the early 2000s. I found the information about the history of agriculture interesting as well as the information pertaining to the way animal processing workers are treated and recruited. The section on how greedy chain grocery stores/retail giants are is eye opening.

Really, the whole book is eye opening!
Theresa
Couldn't finish this one, but luckily, no one from book club cared about that, or finished it either. I think that he's got some good things to say, but it really felt to me like I reading an opinionated thesis. Also, saying that something has "anecdotal evidence" is not the same as saying that it is true.
Monica
Jan 29, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who care about how what they eat affects the world at large
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a very disturbing and informative and dry read about what's wrong with the way our country produces its food and the impact that has on the environment, the labor market, our health and the world wide economy and international famine. You'll never look at a grocery store the same way again.
Julie
Dec 19, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
This book thoroughly depressed me. The greed of corporate America, what we do to other countries. IT is horrible. How we are damaging our bodies with GMO food. Global warming. IT makes the Mayan end of the world look like a good thing.
Lil Mike
Aug 21, 2007 Lil Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
author paints the all too true & disturbing picture of the way it works in the corporate food chain, and what alternatives one can seek out.
Heather
Jul 18, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know how the food industry works and what you can do about it - read this book!
Katy
Jan 25, 2008 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So far extremely interesting. Make you think twice about the choices all of us are making.
It's A Hero
You should know where your food comes from and the true cost of getting it to you.
Todd Settimo
Oct 15, 2012 Todd Settimo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazingly informative book. Highly recommended.
Erica Reichert
I question whether this is worth finishing.
Trip
Trip rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Stacie Hammond
Stacie Hammond marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Shelby Silverman
Shelby Silverman marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
PJ Brackett
PJ Brackett marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Daniel Atlas
Daniel Atlas rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Maggie Clymer
Maggie Clymer marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kyleigh Rapanos-Harrison
Kyleigh Rapanos-Harrison marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Eat Here: Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Lords Of The Harvest: Biotech, Big Money, And The Future Of Food
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • Hope's Edge: The Next Diet for a Small Planet
  • Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-Lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future Today!
  • Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front
  • Food Rebellions!: Forging Food Sovereignty to Solve the Global Food Crisis
  • Fields of Plenty: A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • The Real Food Revival: Aisle by Aisle, Morsel by Morsel
  • For the Common Good: Redirecting the economy toward community, the environment, and a sustainable future.
  • Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • Defending Beef: The Case for Sustainable Meat Production
  • Change Comes to Dinner: How Vertical Farmers, Urban Growers, and Other Innovators Are Revolutionizing How America Eats