Start by marking “Phoenix Rising (Phoenix Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Rising (Phoenix Rising, #1)

Phoenix Rising (Phoenix Rising #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Newly elected U.S. President Ohmshidi is sharing the wealth, rewriting the Constitution, and changing the National Anthem. But when he begins to implement his agenda - banning oil production, slashing military budgets, and establishing a 'New World Order' - our nation becomes the target for a new wave of Muslim extremists, who rename America 'The Islamic Republic of Enligh ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Rising

Ray
Wow, just finished this book and I must say " it was an interesting read." Definitely look forward to reading more of Johnstone's books. Although I don't think America will go quite so blatantly, I'm fairly sure the Germans didn't expect to see their leader lead them down the course he took them either. And not with such celerity.
Robert
A foreign-born citizen has been elected President of the United States. Within months of taking office, the US is a memory. In it's place... the New World Collective, led by Supreme Leader Mehdi Ohmshidi. The dollar is worthless. Food is at a premium. The military, as well as state and local law enforcement, is no more. All commercial television and radio stations are off the air, and anyone who speaks out against Ohmshidi is declared an enemy of the state. Amongst the citizenry, violence and bl ...more
Randy
I have to look at this as an alternate universe novel in that it turns the United States upside down in ways I don't think could ever happen in reality. Things are neither as bad as the conservative side paint them or as good as the liberal side would have us believe.

The author doesn't just take a jab at Obama, but gives him a full out bludgeoning.

America has elected a new President, a man who's a naturalized citizen(a new law allowed it), Mother American, father Pakistani(I'm not sure whether t
Flannery Kneel
In Phoenix Rising, author’s William W. and J.A. Johnstone take the reader through what is the ultimate American nightmare. A new left wing President has been elected, and his first order of business is to bring every single member of the military that is overseas, back home to America and halt all military flights.
Major Jake Lantz, a right wing conservative Army-man is in the midst of the chaos, as he is forced to shut down his flight school and is left responsible for scores of men left purp
Josh
I was split on this book. It reminded me of the TV series 'Jericho' which I liked a ton. However, I felt that the timeline of events was far too rushed. America as we know it basically ceased to exist in four months or so... and all without being attacked. The 'left-wing' president caused the destruction by his policies and it seemed too unlikely to me to keep me engaged in the early portions of the story. As it progressed and action picked up... I enjoyed it more. From what I understand, it's t ...more
Carol
Absolutely one of scariest books I ever read. I feel like the story was picked out of the current time in the United States. We must save the United States and improve it...not thru current administration but through an administration that cares and loves what we stand for....individual liberties w/o more government control.
Kate Juden
Enjoyed this book. It takes America to a scary place. While I don't think things will ever get as bad as predicted in this book, it does show what can happen if the government gets too much control.
David Minger

This book made me very angry! Angry at the characters in the book that ruined America. Truly enjoyed this book in fact I haven't read a William W. Johnstone book I haven't enjoyed. RIP.
Christopher Smith
Aug 13, 2011 Christopher Smith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Another good one from the Johnstone legacy! So real and true to current events.

You need to read this one.
Janet Colyer
Enjoyed the theme. But I also enjoy Brad Thor. Hope something of this magnitude never happens!
Russell Colter
This book is a must read. As it so closesly mirrors todays society.
Sharon
Jul 11, 2012 Sharon rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Page turner, interesting speculation.
Rob Smith
Oh my! Another Johnstone book that's getting low marks from me. It was just a couple months ago I was wondering if I would find one. This makes about four.

Thee problem in this book is the premise that America could crash and burn so quickly. It completely ignores the economic forces that would not let this happen and the political ocean that would also not let this happen.

It's a reason I've told so many friends not to worry so much about the current president and what they feel is some sort of
Gary
What would America look like if an uber liberal wanted to take it down? Just like this book. However, there are sooooooo many scenarios that this book/story/series(reading the next one right now "Firebase Freedom")never explore. About halfway through the book the President shuts down all domestic fossil fuel production. How well would that work outside of this story? (the militias would be formed and action would be taken) It wouldn't. Would all military personnel would just go..."Um...OK well ...more
Lisa Johnson
Title: Phoenix Rising
Author: William W. Johnstone w/ J. A. Johnstone
Pages: 352
Year: 2011
Publisher: Pinnacle
If you are to read this new series which starts with this novel, be prepared to have a heightened sense of suspense! The sequel, Phoenix Rising: Firebase Freedom, having been released in December 2012, and the final segment of this series set to be published in 2013 will be reviewed also. Being familiar with the westerns written by these authors, I was intrigued when I ran across this nove
Amber
I am glad my husband talked me into reading this. I look forward to the others in the series.

This is a scary scenario at anytime but it is even scarier when you can see something like this in the future. Reminds you to make decisions not based on popular thought or sentiment but with research and gut feelings.
It also makes me think would I be strong enough to survive if this happened or something like it?
Lots of food for thought.
Theresa
Sounded interesting so thought Id give it a try. First chapter almost decided to forget it, but kept at it and it drew me in. Now can't wait to read #2
Tim Baer
This story is so realistic as to be scarily prophetic.
Mitch
Entertaining but an overly simplistic plot.
Bruce Klein
have read better
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Cheryle
Cheryle marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Brandon Laine
Brandon Laine marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Janelle Henderso
Janelle Henderso marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Loner (The Loner, #1)
  • The Psycho-technic League
  • A Heinlein Trio
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Terminator Salvation: Cold War
  • The Erection Set
  • Black Belt Patriotism: How We Can Restore the American Dream
  • An Act of Self-Defense
  • The Little Black Book of Violence: What Every Young Man Needs to Know about Fighting
  • Castigo Cay
  • Article V
  • The Magickers Chronicles, Vol. One (The Magickers, #1-2)
  • The Dame (Alan Grofield, #2)
  • The Third World War: A Terrifying Novel of Global Conflict
  • Occupants: Photographs and Writings
  • The Geneva Option: A Yael Azoulay Novel
  • Death Wish
20852
William Wallace Johnstone was a prolific American author, mostly of western, horror and survivalist novels.

Born and raised in southern Missouri, Johnstone was the youngest of four children. His father was a minister and his mother a school teacher. He quit school when he was fifteen and worked in a carnival and as a deputy sheriff. He later served in the Army and, upon returning to civilian life,
More about William W. Johnstone...

Phoenix Rising (3 books)
  • Firebase Freedom (Phoenix Rising, #2)
  • Day of Judgement (Phoenix Rising, #3)
The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1) Out of the Ashes (Ashes, #1) Return of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #2) Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5) Trail of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #3)