Start by marking “What God Wants: A Compelling Answer to Humanity's Biggest Question” as Want to Read:
What God Wants: A Compelling Answer to Humanity's Biggest Question

What God Wants: A Compelling Answer to Humanity's Biggest Question

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Be careful. This book is dangerous. It explores with startling freshness the most important question you could ever ask, and offers with breathtaking courage the most extraordinary answer you could ever imagine.

That answer is so theologically revolutionary and so spiritually empowering that it could change the course of human history. If embraced, it most certainly will ch...more
Published December 14th 2010 by Atria Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What God Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What God Wants

Noelle
I think in my case he's kinda preaching to the choir. I get it, I get the value of the question. I'm just not excited by it. Probably cause the question isn't a new one to me, nor is his proposed answer.
I disagree with some of his statements about the state of the world. He does what seems to me a bit of catastrophizing in order to make the point that change is needed. Which I find a bit repellent. Maybe he believes it but I don't find that angle motivating.
So I enjoyed his thoughts on the que...more
Ryan
I enjoy all of Walsch's books; I think they really speak the wisdom of today's God -- one that is applicable to today's unique needs, moving beyond our preocupation with mythic formulas and rigid boundaries.

But this small book -- much smaller than Walsch's other works -- is extraordinary. It's concise and cogent, often hitting straight at the heart of things that people have often believed about God...and (according to "Walsch's God") erroneously, at that.

Not for the un-ready mind, but in my o...more
Jeet
It started off really well for me....addressed the issues that I have been pondering with over the yrs...but then it lost its momntum half way through...it just got really repeptitive...half the book doesnt have to be there...if he had kept it to the point it would of been great...I found myself skim reading after half way through. Look forward to discussing it at Book club....lets see how the others found it..
Ify
A humanist manifesto written in an irritatingly vague manner. Walsch calls for a New Spirituality, which he claims is compatible with an expansive view of religion. However, his recaps and summaries of the beliefs of others is largely insulting. The best part of the book is the last section about the power of positive thinking.
Marie
This book found me at Barnes and Noble. I am a spiritual junkie lately. I am slowly reading the concepts of this book. Being raised Christian, it was difficult at first to get past the initial question, what God wants. But, with an open mind its getting easier to disgest.
Stein
== A god without expectations ==

I read most of NDW’s books from the beginning of his CWG phenomena. I then found HIS GOD provocative, funny and occasionally wise. But Neale doesn’t seem to be listening to HIS GOD much in this book. Instead he is having undisciplined conversations with himself and he is fed up, annoyed and angry. He comes across as biased, judgmental, rambling and incoherent. He leads the reader on to believe that he has something dangerous, new and astounding to tell us, but isn...more
William Worthington
One God for all. God is all.

Definitely not about atheism.

I thought this was a very interesting book to read. It opened my mind to another way of thinking about the world's religions. New insights about God. It will definitely help me understand life a little better.
I recommend this book to anyone who is open minded and interested in God.
Stephen Hoosegow IV Jr.
The first Walsch book I have read. Poses some interesting questions. Became tedious due to repetitiveness.

Some of the ideas covered:
Is it possible our conception of God is incomplete or inaccurate?
If it is, are we capable or willing to challenge/modify our conception?
If you look at the current state of the world, does it seem like this is what God wants?
What ways does our conception of God directly impact our world and our interactions with each other?

The basic premise is that God does not want...more
Nathan
A good perspective for those, like me, who kept thinking there was a way to do things better. That I had to somehow purify myself in order to be "doing the right thing." The main point here is that our experience here, any way we choose to act and experience it, is all that we need to do. It calls modern religion to task regarding the ways we can disappoint or offend god. Well worth the read.
Stephanie
Same idea, presented in a slightly different way, which is always helpful. I do think Walsch went too far in the beginning describing the problems that our previous ideas of what God wants have caused us. All of that negativity might turn people off of the book before they even get to the important message he is trying to share. It seemed more like he was letting off steam before making his point rather than approaching the subject with purpose, which I thought was counterproductive. After that,...more
Joanne
this book was selected by my reading club & i have to admit that my immediate thoughts on the title was that it would be full of religous text & quotes from the bible, but im pleased to say it wasnt..personally id like to see it re-named 'what the universe wants'..quite an interesting read although a bit repetative in parts..a lot of the ideas weren't new to me but its got me interested in other books by this author..best line in the book for me - 'be the change you wish to see in the wo...more
Don Kaiser
Well it was better than this same author's "Friendship with God" book. At least this one did not have a patronizing, irreverent dialogue between the author and (supposedly) God. At least I came away from this book with a few things I could use and, to that extent, it was worthwhile. The yellow price sticker on the cover of the book was stamped "Clearance, $1.98." I'd say I got my money's worth but, even so, something about this author really grates on me. Better to move on and go down some other...more
Kay
LOVING this book. I love how Walsch has set up this book in small, easy-to-digest chapters and sections. The basic premise is Walsch's take on what we've been told about 'What God Wants' and how that's affected every aspect of our lives - including our viewpoints on marriage, free will, the scriptures, etc... He then puts forth his idea of 'What God Wants' and how that changes all those viewpoints dramatically. Challenging, but resonating with me in a huge way!
Glitter
An incredibly biased book proclaiming that God wants nothing. It babbled far too much, repeated same points time and time again "for effect" and preached the one point of view that it wanted. It was neither a Christian, nor Jewish, nor a Muslim viewpoint but a writers own and that rather disappointed me. It criticised all religions but preached its own "New Spirituality" movement. It's a miracle I finished reading this book at all.
Cheyenne
This book was VERY repetitive at times, and sometimes somewhat dry, however I enjoyed reading it because it took an outside look at the principles that many Christians are taught as "right" and "wrong" in life and challenging the logic behind them. It was very reasonable and interesting and though I am sure many literal-minded Christians would hate it I thought it made some extremely valid points.
Bolelang
What God Wants is a good read, as it is one of the books that is a mind-changer to those who are still unaware of how religion currently operates. I think a book could be about 1/3 of it's current side, should it go straight to the point without unnecessary repetition and emphasis. The core of the book is towards the end. The reader has to be patient with too many words to reach it.
Tirza
Now this is brilliant! I was laughing tears and if I had not yet known the answer, I would have felt such immense relief, I cannot begin to tell you! As it is, I loved it just for the fun of it! <3 Highly recommended to all people who have heaven & hell problems, think, they are born sinners, etc. Basically, the hardcore monotheist faction, lol!
April
While I can't say that I agree with every little thing the author says in this book, I liked his general point and presentation. It did get me thinking quite a lot about how we view one another and our purpose in this world, and sparked many conversations with my husband and friends…. and after all, isn't that the point?!
Wellington
Neale Donald Walsch is likely one of my four or five most read authors. This is the simple book that claims to be dangerous. Are you ready to read it?

Think I have read enough of his book that new ideas pronounced just don't hit me like they used to.
David Melbie
Dec 08, 2010 David Melbie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: picked myself
This will be the last attempt to read anymore books by this author. I still like the first three, but he should have stopped there, because the rest have been ho-hum. . .
Scott Stirling
An encouragement that God wants and needs nothing from man. And implications of that for choices and attitudes toward life. Existentialist. Coaching.
RK Byers
what a boneheaded book. a belief in God almost necessitates a belief that God's one/main requirement is that we love each other.
Ella Roberts
I liked reading this book, since I was already on the path but I didn't connect to it as much as I did the other books.
Terri
Very unconventional and an interesting read. A lot of food for thought. This is one I will read again.
Zedress
Interestingly written but there really isn't much new in the book so far. Worth my time irregardless.
Ana
This book makes sense. I already thought about those lines on my own; it was great to be validated...
Aryne Hornsby
Neale Donald Walsch does it again with a feel good, easy to understand, and thought provoking book.
Jazzy D
Was interesting in the beginning but it got boring. It was way too preachy for my taste.
Trena
Eh, this was a slightly interesting concept but it was pretentious and repetitive.
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Intelligence: The Creative Response to Now
  • The School For Gods
  • The Dreaming, Vol. 2
  • The Tao Is Silent
  • Peace Is the Way: Bringing War and Violence to an End
  • Binboğalar Efsanesi
  • What Do You Really Want for Your Children?
  • Awareness
  • Oneness
  • Vatan Yahut Silistre
  • Yaz Geçer
  • Benerci Kendini Niçin Öldürdü
  • Dudaktan Kalbe
  • Amak-ı Hayal
  • Kayıp Aranıyor
  • Twilight Prophecy (Wings in the Night, #17) (Children of Twilight, #1)
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
Neale Donald Walsch is a modern day spiritual messenger whose words continue to touch the world in profound ways. With an early interest in religion and a deeply felt connection to spirituality, Neale spent the majority of his life thriving professionally, yet searching for spiritual meaning before beginning his now famous conversation with God. His With God series of books has been translated int...more
More about Neale Donald Walsch...
Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 1 Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 2 Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 3 The Complete Conversations with God Friendship with God: An Uncommon Dialogue

“Pretpostavimo da je povijest Zemlje prikazana u razdoblju od jedne godine; ponoć prvoga siječnja predstavlja nastanak Zemlje, a ponoć 31. prosinca sadašnje doba. Svaki dan zemaljske «godine» predstavlja 12 milijuna godina stvarne povijesti. U tome bi se omjeru prvi oblik života, jednostavnije bakterije, pojavile otprilike u veljači. Složeniji pak, životni oblici nastaju mnogo kasnije; prve ribe se pojavljuju oko 2o. studenoga. Dinosauri nastaju oko desetoga prosinca i nestaju na sam Božić. Prvi među našim precima koje možemo svrstati među ljude ne pojavljuju se sve do poslijepodneva 31. prosinca. Homo sapiens-naša vrsta pojavljuje se oko 11:45 navečer. Sve ono što se događalo u pisanoj povijesti odvijalo bi se tijekom posljednje minute u godini. (navod iz knjige New World New Mind
Robert Ornstein i Paul Ehrlich )
...U svojoj knjizi Ornstein i Ehrlich dokazuju da je ljudska vrsta tako primitivna da se naš mozak još nije dovoljno razvio kako bi mogao učinkovito prerađivati podatke koje sam život svakoga dana donosi pred nas.
...U prikazu O. i E. Čovječanstvo se sprema zakoračiti u Drugu Minutu.”
4 likes