Start by marking “The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative” as Want to Read:
The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative

The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative

The power of an intriguing story can not only captivate an audience, but when presented in a familiar and personal way, can communicate important truths. With this realization, Steven Mathewson offers here a guide to applying careful expository preaching methods to popular Old Testament stories.
Mathewson guides students and preachers through a ten-step process from text s
Published April 1st 2002 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative

Michael
Jan 23, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: seminary-reading
With a Master of Arts Degree in Old Testament and a doctorate from Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, Steven Mathewson brings a learned approach to the topic of old testament preaching. He had the privilege of studying preaching under Dr. Haddon Robinson, one of the most noted authors of text-driven preaching. Mathewson presently serves as senior pastor of Crosslife Evangelical Free Church in Libertyville, Illinois.
Summary
Mathewson opens his book on the premise of our cultural fondness for sto
Peter Mead
Jul 26, 2014 Peter Mead rated it really liked it
There are many preaching books, but only a handful I recommend wholeheartedly. This is one of them. Mathewson’s passion for the many narrative passages in the Old Testament is contagious. His passion for the effective preaching of these passages is greatly needed today. This is especially the case while significant preachers continue to view Old Testament narratives as primarily illustrative material, rather than preaching texts.

Mathewson’s work is widely researched, with significant influences
James
Mar 12, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: preaching
The best work I have read on preaching the Old Testament thus far.

The deductive preaching method (this is what I will tell you, I am telling you, this is what I just told you) so popular in most of our preaching is much less effective with narratives. For this reason many preachers stick to the New Testament, especially the Gospels and Epistles, but is this really the best way to demonstrate our belief that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and train
Kessia Reyne
May 29, 2008 Kessia Reyne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
An excellent work on the topic and much needed in the homiletical library of the world. In places you can tell that it's based on his doctoral dissertation, but that doesn't really interfere with the message at all. Mathewson goes deep in the subject, as you'd expect, from the shape of story to Hebrew thought and methods of preaching. He's in the expository preaching camp, but doesn't promote the traditional didactic method from the OT narratives. This book is a step-by-step guide; very useful.
Seth Channell
Mar 04, 2016 Seth Channell rated it really liked it
Wished this book had been assigned in my preaching class in seminary. It assisted me in shifting my approach to Old Testament narrative. I now feel free to allow the plot of the story to shape my sermon, instead of forcing a propositional outline on the text. Not so sure however, about there being only one main idea in each narrative. I think Tim Keller is more accurate in his discussion of the "big idea" (Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism).
Dylan Hutchens
Jan 06, 2014 Dylan Hutchens rated it it was amazing
read on;y pages 11-90 as required according to a course syllabus for study. However of the sections read it was an enjoyable book to read and the use of illustration and narrative to teach the audience concerning narrative was a marvellous technique. I will highly recommend upon the sample that I have read and look forward to sitting down and reading the rest at some point. :)
Guillaume Bourin
Oct 23, 2016 Guillaume Bourin rated it really liked it
One of the best book on preaching I have ever read, and it focuses on the Old Testament!! Mathewson's volume is a must read for any preacher or pastor who seek to expose OT narratives
Preston Chastine
May 27, 2015 Preston Chastine rated it it was ok
Lacked addressing preaching Christ in the OT
Tj Turner
Aug 10, 2011 Tj Turner rated it really liked it
An excellent resource for preaching Old Testament Narrative.
Nathan Parker
Nov 07, 2015 Nathan Parker rated it really liked it
A solid resource on how to preach through Old Testament narratives. It is a beneficial book that every pastor preaching through Old Testament narratives would benefit from in their library.
John
Nov 19, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on narrative preaching from the Old Testament. Mathewson is clear and helpful. His ideas can be readily adapted to NT narrative as well.
Filip De Cavel
Filip De Cavel rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2010
Corey Corrick
Corey Corrick rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Casey Holencik
Casey Holencik rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Ben Aurich
Ben Aurich rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
H. M.
H. M. rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Michael Best
Michael Best rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2011
Paul Bratsch
Paul Bratsch rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
David Bouchard
David Bouchard rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Sam Creagar
Sam Creagar rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Brad Thomas
Brad Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Dylan Matthews
Dylan Matthews rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
David M
David M rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Ramone Bellagamba
Ramone Bellagamba rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Ethan Smith
Ethan Smith rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Ben Tietje
Ben Tietje rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017