Start by marking “The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative” as Want to Read:
The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative

The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The power of an intriguing story can not only captivate an audience, but when presented in a familiar and personal way, can communicate important truths. With this realization, Steven Mathewson offers here a guide to applying careful expository preaching methods to popular Old Testament stories.
Mathewson guides students and preachers through a ten-step process from text s
Published April 1st 2002 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative

Michael
With a Master of Arts Degree in Old Testament and a doctorate from Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, Steven Mathewson brings a learned approach to the topic of old testament preaching. He had the privilege of studying preaching under Dr. Haddon Robinson, one of the most noted authors of text-driven preaching. Mathewson presently serves as senior pastor of Crosslife Evangelical Free Church in Libertyville, Illinois.
Summary
Mathewson opens his book on the premise of our cultural fondness for sto
Peter Mead
There are many preaching books, but only a handful I recommend wholeheartedly. This is one of them. Mathewson’s passion for the many narrative passages in the Old Testament is contagious. His passion for the effective preaching of these passages is greatly needed today. This is especially the case while significant preachers continue to view Old Testament narratives as primarily illustrative material, rather than preaching texts.

Mathewson’s work is widely researched, with significant influences
James
The best work I have read on preaching the Old Testament thus far.

The deductive preaching method (this is what I will tell you, I am telling you, this is what I just told you) so popular in most of our preaching is much less effective with narratives. For this reason many preachers stick to the New Testament, especially the Gospels and Epistles, but is this really the best way to demonstrate our belief that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and train
Kessia Reyne
An excellent work on the topic and much needed in the homiletical library of the world. In places you can tell that it's based on his doctoral dissertation, but that doesn't really interfere with the message at all. Mathewson goes deep in the subject, as you'd expect, from the shape of story to Hebrew thought and methods of preaching. He's in the expository preaching camp, but doesn't promote the traditional didactic method from the OT narratives. This book is a step-by-step guide; very useful.
Dylan Hutchens
read on;y pages 11-90 as required according to a course syllabus for study. However of the sections read it was an enjoyable book to read and the use of illustration and narrative to teach the audience concerning narrative was a marvellous technique. I will highly recommend upon the sample that I have read and look forward to sitting down and reading the rest at some point. :)
John
This is an excellent book on narrative preaching from the Old Testament. Mathewson is clear and helpful. His ideas can be readily adapted to NT narrative as well.
Tj Turner
An excellent resource for preaching Old Testament Narrative.
Michael Taylor
Michael Taylor is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Merle
Merle marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Jeff S
Jeff S marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
David Mclemore
David Mclemore marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
Dec 26, 2014
Paul Degraaf
Paul Degraaf marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Ilona
Ilona marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Geoffrey Janes
Geoffrey Janes marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Jacob Sweeney
Jacob Sweeney marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Noah Kiser
Noah Kiser marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Kirk Stifle
Kirk Stifle marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Risen: 50 Reasons Why the Resurrection Changed Everything Preaching the Hard Words of Jesus Preaching the Four Gospels with Confidence Joshua and Judges: A Bible Commentary for Every Day