Start by marking “Mistress of Justice” as Want to Read:
Mistress of Justice

Mistress of Justice

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  987 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Taylor Lockwood spends her days working as a paralegal in one of New York’s preeminent Wall Street law firms and her nights playing jazz piano anyplace she can. But the rhythm of her life is disrupted when attorney Mitchell Reece requests her help in locating a stolen document that could cost him not only the multimillion-dollar case he’s defending but his career as well. ...more
Published April 30th 2002 by Bantam (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of Justice

Darcy
I find this book to be very confusing. There are a lot of players on the scene, 2 different law firms, many paralegals, plus some back story from the past. Often people are referred to by either their first or last name and not together, so it made it hard to figure out who was in the story. It also seemed to me this book couldn't figure out what it wanted to be a law thriller or a spy novel. With all the confusion I gave it up as it wasn't worth me trying to wade through it.
The Cats Mother
Boring, confusing, annoying. This is one of his early books, re-written a decade or so later (supposedly to make it more exciting - I dread to think what the original is like: presumably it's missing the trademark cliff-hanger chapter endings where the heroine is left in mortal danger... Except she isn't. Again.
Set in a New York legal firm, this has paralegal and 3rd rate piano player Taylor being asked to investigate the theft of a valuable document from the company's most hard-working lawyer,
Jerry
Well before Jeffery Deaver gained a considerable following with his lengthy Lincoln Rhyme series, popularized by the movie based on the first in that set, “The Bone Collector” (with Denzel Washington as Rhyme), he authored two shorter series of books: “Rune” and “John Pellam {Location Scout}. He also penned several standalone novels of suspense, “Justice” being the first. Although the original story was published in 1992, Deaver admits to totally recreating it in this 2002 edition to make it mor ...more
Kristiana Alex
Román z právnického prostředí na Wall Street začíná jako obyčejný příběh z právnické kanceláře. Ztráta jediného dokumentu otevře dveře do 13. komnaty celého právnického podsvětí. Mitchell Reece je odhodlán ztracený dokument najít – potichu a hlavně nenápadně. A tak se do všeho zapojuje Taylor Lockwoodová, právní asistentka, která se stává spojkou mezi děním v kancelářích a tím, co se děje za dveřmi barů. Postupně hledá ty, kteří by měli prospěch z neúspěchu žaloby, potopením jednoho z největších ...more
Pythia
Un Deaver insolito per questo romanzo rivisto 13 anni dopo la prima stesura: siamo sempre a New York, ma all'interno di un prestigioso studio legale, e il casus belli non è un omicidio ma un furto.
La lettura non è semplice: inizialmente i personaggi si susseguono rapidamente, creando confusione con i nomi e richiedendo un'attenzione particolare per non perdersi. A questo si aggiunge il misterioso mondo della legislazione americana, ben diversa dalla nostra, dove una laureata in musica e scienze
Suze
This is a rewrite by Jeffery Deaver. The book was first released in 1992, but Deaver has never been satisfied with it. His publisher finally gave approval for a do-over and rerelease. I have to say he did a great job this time. I read it years ago and remember being unimpressed, disappointed - though I don't really remember why.

I didn't feel that way at all with this release of the book. I enjoyed it, liked the characters, and was blown away by the ending. I can usually guess how a book will end
Solid Jeffery Deaver. Taylor Lockwood is not the equivalent of Lincoln Rhyme, but she's the same type of confident, smart, human woman that populates Deaver's work. I"m curious how he rewrote this to make it more suspenseful.
Dlora
An early Jeffery Deaver that he revised to add more "thrill," and he did a good job of it. The story was, in a way, reminiscent of Grisham's The Pelican Brief starring a female protagonist--an inexperienced, minor player who gets caught up in machinations of the wheeler-dealers. Taylor Lockwood is one of the better paralegals in her firm and is asked to help find an important document that has been stolen. In her detecting, she sees more of the seamy underside and backstabbing within the big fir ...more
Gail
Mistress of Justice is a well written book with much insight into a very busy upscale law firm. I appreciated Jeffery Deaver's writing ability. However it is not my genre of book.
Lorraine
Re-read this while in Manhatton and enjoyed it even more than first time round, having access to the landscape that provides the backdrop to the storyline.
Vanessa
This was a bit different from his usually books. But it was filled with the "thrills" he wanted to add when he rewrote the book! Really enjoyed it.
Rosa Lea
Suspenseful but a bit far-fetched.
Marti
This was different from Mr. Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series since it involves people in a law firm. The main character is Taylor Lockwood, a paralegal who fancies herself a sleuth, and faces danger in doing so. The legal profession seems to be a dog eat dog business, and several people in the firm meet their end. She also plays jazz piano one night a week, and has made a demo CD. Results from her sending it to various people underscore the old adage--don't give up your day job. Finally, the ending ...more
Clif Smith
Good, but not one of Deaver's best.
Angela Harnish
very boring, couldn't wait til it was over!
Richard Miller
love deaver's twisting storylines.
Luigi
Ventunesimo libro di Deaver che leggo.

Non delude mai. Anche quando riprende una storia scritta in passato, come in questo caso, e la riscrive per aggiungere tutto ciò che l'esperienza acquisita può dare.

Non ci sono poliziotti e l'epoca della storia è differente, ma credo possa rientrare in un progetto di "Justice League" di Deaver :D Mi piacerebbe leggere un libro del genere :)

Priya
One of Deaver's early books (1992). So it's not as racy and suspense-full as some of his latest works like The Edge and The Bodies Left Behind, but still it carries the Deaver stamp in terms of the story telling and characters. Also, for a person like me who's read her share of such novels, the end was a tad predictable, but not so much that it ruined the ending - it was still ok.
Andrea
Taylor Lockwood, a paralegal with a Wall Street law firm, is pulled out of her normal work and plunged into a mystery involving theft of documents designed to sabotage the case Mitchell Reese is working on. Also, the firm is divided as some of the partners want to form a new partnership.

And what was the role of a paralegal who evidently committed suicide 6 months earlier?
Tiffany-Rae Lowe
At first I did not think I would really enjoy this book but I was surprised. I found it very entertaining. There were a few parts that were a little dull but besides that I couldn't put it down. The ending was very good. I was shocked. The very end though I thought could have used a little more detail on what happened with certain thing.s.
Kristy
A fast-paced drama set in a law firm. There were quite a few characters; it was a little difficult to keep them all straight in the beginning but by the middle I had a good grasp of them. There was a great deal of suspense, which kept me reading well past bedtime on several occasions.
Janet
I whole heartedly enjoyed "Mistress of Justice". I loved Taylor Lockwood. She was a real hero. I can't wait to read more Jeffery Deaver books. This was my first. It was given to me by a member of my "book club". An excellent read! I highly recommend it.
Pete731
This is the re-written re-issued version. Decent enough legal thriller, Deaver is a good writer and creates excellent characters, but this wasn't one of his best. I enjoyed it, and from another author it probably would be 4 stars, but I expect better of this author.
Joyce McKune
Great book until a couple "unbelievables" toward the end. Also too many characters. If this was a series some could have held till the next book. But I still enjoyed the plot and twists. Every time I thought I know who the bad guy is it would change.
Selena
While this book was very Deaver-esque, it was quite different from others I've read by him in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It kept me guessing until the end and had all the twists and suspense I've come to expect and love from him.
Shirin
Dont like this much. Started out promising enough but quickly deteriorated at the end. My first deaver book and I can see enjoying his style of writing. Quite impressed that deaver could write where the protagonist is a woman.
Tom
OK - but nothing like as good as some of his other books. Rather long, rather convoluted - yes, it's a mystery-type thing but the convolutions were not seamless.

Better than having nothing to read, for sure.
Peggy
Jeffrey Deaver is just a master of suspense and great story telling. He can't write fast enough...I've loved all his books. Too bad he never wrote another book with Taylor Lockwood again. I really liked her!
Kulaprabha Marlene
I'm a fan of Deaver. Didn't realise this is a re-write of an early novel. It held my attention with no trouble. Must admit I did see the denouement coming but that didn't spoil the enjoyment.
Pamela
A decent read, but it sort of fizzles out towards the end with an ever growing list of possible suspects. I wasn't totally surprised by the outcome, but I was sort of disappointed by it.
  • Never Say Die
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • Mortal Evidence: The Forensics Behind Nine Shocking Cases
  • The Solomon Effect
  • The Case of the Negligent Nymph
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)
  • Do No Harm
  • Final Round
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • Forensic Science of CSI
  • Love And Glory
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro ...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3) The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)