Start by marking “Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers” as Want to Read:
Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers

Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers

Work from the ground up with knitwear design: create your own socks!

Sock Knitting Master Class showcases methods for designing and knitting creative socks, featuring signature elements and techniques from 16 top designers. You’ll learn what makes good sock design, and then dive into knitting 18 spectacular, brand-new patterns featuring the widest variety of techniques.

With
Published July 19th 2011 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Sock Knitting Master Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sock Knitting Master Class

Gina
Feb 24, 2012 Gina rated it really liked it
Who knew you get could a PhD in socks? Reading this book is like getting a college education in sock making.Even beginner sock knitters will find this to be an excellent reference book.
Jules
Aug 05, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
This book is loaded with information. Highly recommended for sock knitters.
Sheila
746.432 BUDD
May 17, 2017 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
Although the projects did not appeal to me I really liked this book as it went through the different approaches to toes, heels and soles. a great reference
Anne
Jan 06, 2017 Anne rated it it was amazing
I haven't used any of her patterns yet, but they look delicious
Wendi
Jun 09, 2017 Wendi rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very interesting designs. Upon further review and looking at finished objects on ravelry, I think only the U-Turn design looks like one I would try.
Janelle
Jul 25, 2011 Janelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
This is such a neat book! It begins with about 40 pages of design information, the perfect introduction for a new or intermediate sock knitter and an excellent review/reference for the more experienced. And then come the projects - 17 patterns that are super seductive, thanks in part to the excellent photography. There are only a few I am not immediately interested in making. Each pattern includes commentary by Clara Parkes (yarn swoon) regarding the specified yarn and potential substitutions.

Th
Vita
Apr 09, 2013 Vita rated it it was amazing
A knitting book by Ann Budd requires a read, and this doesn't disappoint.

The beginning section contains information on yarn, gauge, needle choice, heels, toes, fit & comfort plus sock aesthetics. The construction of socks, the choice of yarns are very informative plus the patterns in this book are either top-down or toe-up construction, about half of each. Included is excellent information for casting on either top-down/toe-up patterns as well as bind-offs. Included is a DVD of patterns and
Carolyn McBride
May 31, 2016 Carolyn McBride rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
I bought this book in the hopes that one day, I would take the plunge and break out of my vanilla-sock-making comfort zone.
Well, I haven't yet, but the book has proven to be a great resource. The cd is handy, the book is both instructional (even for chickens like me) and inspirational.
I have never regretted buying the book.
One day, I'll cast on for a moccasin toe...one day.
Lil' Grogan
Mar 09, 2012 Lil' Grogan rated it liked it
Shelves: handmade
Not quite the information I was looking for (how to get best fit for different shapes of feet), however, does cover different toes, heels, top-down and toe-up construction. Like that these details are given outside of the patterns, then supported by full patterns. Interestingly, I wouldn't knit any of the patterns, but the construction info covered was good.
Tonileg
Sep 22, 2016 Tonileg rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
Lots of sock patterns, that have a range of difficulties, but lots of expensive yarns that are easy to substitute for cheaper choices. I did not like this enough to buy and add to my collection.
184 pages and borrowed from the main library
4 stars
Robin
Oct 11, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing
Ann Budd provides detailed, easy to understand directions with options for all levels of sock knitters. There are sections for toe up and cuff down socks. There are lots of patterns included with wonderful pictures and illustrations.
Sue
Jul 21, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sock knitters
Great patterns and excellent information from a variety of designers assembled into book form by Ann Budd.
Fullfaun
Aug 19, 2012 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing
tis good, but I am not at the stage of knitting socks yet.
Terri Cochran
I'm a want-to-be sock knitter, so this book is over my head. But the designs are beautiful. There's a CD in the back that offers additional instructions. I'll check this out from the library again!
Kelly
Jul 08, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I'd love to add this to my sock-knitting collection. Especially interesting were the yarn notes by Clara Parkes
Lenora Carey
May 13, 2013 Lenora Carey rated it really liked it
Dvd that comes with the book is worth the $ alone.
Courtney
Jan 14, 2017 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This is old-school-literally everything I hoped for in a sock knitting book.
Meredith Neal
Jul 23, 2011 Meredith Neal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, 2011-reads
Knitting in tandem with Ann Budd and hundreds of other sock lovers with these beautiful designs - what could be better?!!
Batya7
Jun 30, 2016 Batya7 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Gorgeous patterns and interesting technical pointers.
Christine
Dec 31, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Wow, my favorite designers, lovely photos, geeky details. The technical illustrations could have clearer annotations, but they are still lovely, and so handy to have them all in one book.
Jody
Oct 15, 2011 Jody added it
Must have in your pattern book collection regardless of what levev of knitter you are
katie
Aug 13, 2016 katie rated it really liked it
A nice reference on sock design. Goes into some good detail about different construction techniques. I love the sock pattern on the front cover. Those socks are definitely on my knitting bucket list.
Laurel
Jan 18, 2013 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
Incredibly informative and if I become obsessed with knitting socks I'll pick up a copy for my library.
Mckinley
Apr 23, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Master level is beyond me; however this seems to be a great resource - needle styles, heel and toe formations,
etc.
Kathryn
Nov 04, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Lovely patterns, but I need to try them out when I have more time. I love that this comes with a DVD as well.
Erin
Oct 20, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
Indispensable.
Megan Berryman
Jul 04, 2016 Megan Berryman rated it really liked it
Good advice, nice tips, and great patterns.
Kristin Roach
Jun 16, 2012 Kristin Roach rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this 5 stars based on my first quick read through. I'll give a more in depth review once I've read it all the way cover to cover and knit a pair of socks from it.
Nikki Kirsch
May 03, 2014 Nikki Kirsch rated it it was amazing
Not just for sock knitters. A must have on the bookshelves of all knitters.
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design
  • Weekend Hats: 25 Knitted Caps, Berets, Cloches, and More
  • Knitting Vintage Socks
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • Knitting 24/7: 30 Projects to Knit, Wear, and Enjoy, On the Go and Around the Clock
  • Inspired to Knit: Creating Exquisite Handknits
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods