Start by marking “Jesus: A New Vision” as Want to Read:
Jesus: A New Vision

Jesus: A New Vision

From top Jesus expert Marcus Borg, a completely updated and revised version of his vision of Jesus—as charismatic healer, sage, and prophet, a man living in the power of the spirit and dedicated to radical social change.

Fully revised and updated, this is Borg's major book on the historial Jesus. He shows how the Gospel portraits of Jesus, historically seen, make sense. Bor
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 10th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

Dec 05, 2007 janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: religious studies geeks, Xns, nonXns
Shelves: religion
This book was amazing. When I read it, I had very little knowledge about Jesus...mostly pop-culture info. about the guy. Reading this book gave me such a wealth of information. It has really helped me move about in the world and in our culture with a lot more ease.
Jul 20, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, biography
Easy to read and makes sense, especially for a Biblical scholar! What can we know about the historical Jesus, apart from the theology developed after his death... Two main points: He was intensely in touch with the spiritual (close relationship with God) and actively involved in his society, the Jewish community. "He was a remarkably free person. Free from fear and anxious preocupation, he was free to see clearly and to love. His freedom was gounded in Spirit, from which the other central qualit ...more
Sparker Pants
So far this book is really interesting; it explores what the historical Jesus was most likely really ACTUALLY doing and preaching and drinking (Jesus liked his wine) as opposed to what the early church decided he was doing and preaching, etc a few centuries after he already died. It delves beyond the popular image of Jesus that mainstream churches tend to teach.

We can only know as much about Jesus for certain as we can about any other ancient historical figure, but it's definitely worth examini
Amos Smith
Sep 22, 2015 Amos Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-books-other
This is not Borg's most famous book on Jesus, yet it is by far my favorite. For me this book gives the distilled essence of Borg's approach to Jesus before he starts spinning off in a number of other directions. I think this book embodies the best of what the search for the historical Jesus has to offer. It takes contemporary methods of scholarship and applies them to the life of Jesus, giving us a much fuller picture.
-Amos Smith (author of Healing The Divide: Recovering Christianity's Mystic Ro
Willa Grant
May 01, 2015 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read this book for some time now, I love reading about the historical Jesus & this had been on my list. We are all familiar with the risen Lord but for me the foundation of my faith is the Historical Yeshua of Nazareth. This book while not overly scholarly or heavy on research is very good at bringing together the historical Jesus & the risen Christ in a faithful but not inaccurate way. My affection for Marcus Borg is growing with every book of his that I read.
Jul 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
The author shares a view of Jesus that is sometimes enlightening and other times deflating. Borg seems to regard Jesus as more a man than a God, and yet his cultural insights were sometimes interesting.

Dec 10, 2007 Lynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The respected Jesus scholar presents a thoughtful and thoroughly researched "new vision" of Christ and his ministry. Accessible and illuminating.
Feb 12, 2011 Nonie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different for me to read an academic book about Jesus. Some new ideas for me to ponder. Learned to look at NT with more understanding of the times.
Aug 13, 2015 Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had become very skeptical of the historical Jesus and his motives, but this helped me align my personal experience with the historical Jesus.
CRAIG R HARMON rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Blake Atwood
Blake Atwood rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2011
Dennis Noson
Dennis Noson rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Helen rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Rudolph P. Boshoff
Rudolph P. Boshoff rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2011
Peg rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Margaret Cranfield
Margaret Cranfield rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Adam rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Cecilia rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Dan rated it really liked it
May 08, 2008
Megan rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Alistair Logie
Alistair Logie rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2014
Gregory Soderberg
Gregory Soderberg rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2009
Vance Halfaker
Vance Halfaker rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Florence rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Stephen Adams
Stephen Adams rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Bookwraiths rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Shannon Lewis
Shannon Lewis rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2007
Logan Robertson
Logan Robertson rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Blessed are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings of Love, Compassion, and Forgiveness
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • A People's History of Christianity: The Other Side of the Story
  • The Evolution of Faith: How God Is Creating a Better Christianity
  • Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta
  • God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi
  • Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God
Borg was born into a Lutheran family of Swedish and Norwegian descent, the youngest of four children. He grew up in the 1940s in North Dakota and attended Concordia College, Moorhead, a small liberal arts school in Moorhead, Minnesota. While at Moorhead he was a columnist for the school paper and held forth as a conservative. After a close reading of the Book of Amos and its overt message of socia ...more
More about Marcus J. Borg...

“As an epiphany of God, Jesus discloses that at the center of everything is a reality that is in love with us and wills our well-being, both as individuals and as individuals within society. As an image of God, Jesus challenges the most widespread image of reality in both the ancient and modern world, countering conventional wisdom’s understanding of God as one with demands that must be met by the anxious self in search of its own security. In its place is an image of God as the compassionate one who invites people into a relationship which is the source of transformation of human life in both its individual and social aspects.” 2 likes
“Images of Jesus give content to what loyalty to him means. The popular picture of Jesus as one whose purpose was to proclaim truths about himself most often construes loyalty to him as insistence on the truth of those claims. Loyalty becomes belief in the historical truthfulness of all the statements in the gospels. Discipleship is then easily confused with dogmatism or doctrinal orthodoxy.

The absence of an image - the most common fruit of biblical scholarship in this century - leaves us with no clear notion of what it means to take Jesus seriously, no notion of what loyalty might entail, no direction for the life of discipleship. But the vision of Jesus as a person of Spirit, deeply involved in the historical crisis of his own time, can shape the church’s discipleship today. For us, as for the world in which he lived, he can be the light in our darkness.”