Start by marking “Jesus: A New Vision” as Want to Read:
Jesus: A New Vision

Jesus: A New Vision

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From top Jesus expert Marcus Borg, a completely updated and revised version of his vision of Jesus—as charismatic healer, sage, and prophet, a man living in the power of the spirit and dedicated to radical social change.

Fully revised and updated, this is Borg's major book on the historial Jesus. He shows how the Gospel portraits of Jesus, historically seen, make sense. Bor
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 10th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

janelle
Dec 05, 2007 janelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: religious studies geeks, Xns, nonXns
Shelves: religion
This book was amazing. When I read it, I had very little knowledge about Jesus...mostly pop-culture info. about the guy. Reading this book gave me such a wealth of information. It has really helped me move about in the world and in our culture with a lot more ease.
Carol
Easy to read and makes sense, especially for a Biblical scholar! What can we know about the historical Jesus, apart from the theology developed after his death... Two main points: He was intensely in touch with the spiritual (close relationship with God) and actively involved in his society, the Jewish community. "He was a remarkably free person. Free from fear and anxious preocupation, he was free to see clearly and to love. His freedom was gounded in Spirit, from which the other central qualit ...more
Willa Grant
I have wanted to read this book for some time now, I love reading about the historical Jesus & this had been on my list. We are all familiar with the risen Lord but for me the foundation of my faith is the Historical Yeshua of Nazareth. This book while not overly scholarly or heavy on research is very good at bringing together the historical Jesus & the risen Christ in a faithful but not inaccurate way. My affection for Marcus Borg is growing with every book of his that I read.
Sparker Pants
So far this book is really interesting; it explores what the historical Jesus was most likely really ACTUALLY doing and preaching and drinking (Jesus liked his wine) as opposed to what the early church decided he was doing and preaching, etc a few centuries after he already died. It delves beyond the popular image of Jesus that mainstream churches tend to teach.

We can only know as much about Jesus for certain as we can about any other ancient historical figure, but it's definitely worth examini
Markus
I had become very skeptical of the historical Jesus and his motives, but this helped me align my personal experience with the historical Jesus.
Chris
The author shares a view of Jesus that is sometimes enlightening and other times deflating. Borg seems to regard Jesus as more a man than a God, and yet his cultural insights were sometimes interesting.

Nonie
Very different for me to read an academic book about Jesus. Some new ideas for me to ponder. Learned to look at NT with more understanding of the times.
Lynne
The respected Jesus scholar presents a thoughtful and thoroughly researched "new vision" of Christ and his ministry. Accessible and illuminating.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Christopher Sibley
Christopher Sibley marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Abanoub Nashaat
Abanoub Nashaat marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Stephen Deloney
Stephen Deloney marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Mariavictoria Taylor
Mariavictoria Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Alix
Alix added it
Jun 02, 2015
Peter Joseph
Peter Joseph marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Marcel Zeng
Marcel Zeng marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Donald Warren
Donald Warren is currently reading it
May 01, 2015
Sourabh Bhati
Sourabh Bhati marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • Life and Holiness
  • A People's History of Christianity: The Other Side of the Story
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Blessed are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings of Love, Compassion, and Forgiveness
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • The Quest of the Historical Jesus
  • Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity
  • English Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • The Evolution of Faith: How God Is Creating a Better Christianity
  • Testament, Vol. 1: Akedah
Borg was born into a Lutheran family of Swedish and Norwegian descent, the youngest of four children. He grew up in the 1940s in North Dakota and attended Concordia College, Moorhead, a small liberal arts school in Moorhead, Minnesota. While at Moorhead he was a columnist for the school paper and held forth as a conservative. After a close reading of the Book of Amos and its overt message of socia ...more
More about Marcus J. Borg...
Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time: The Historical Jesus and the Heart of Contemporary Faith The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith Reading the Bible Again for the First Time: Taking the Bible Seriously but Not Literally The Meaning of Jesus The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem

“As an epiphany of God, Jesus discloses that at the center of everything is a reality that is in love with us and wills our well-being, both as individuals and as individuals within society. As an image of God, Jesus challenges the most widespread image of reality in both the ancient and modern world, countering conventional wisdom’s understanding of God as one with demands that must be met by the anxious self in search of its own security. In its place is an image of God as the compassionate one who invites people into a relationship which is the source of transformation of human life in both its individual and social aspects.” 2 likes
“Images of Jesus give content to what loyalty to him means. The popular picture of Jesus as one whose purpose was to proclaim truths about himself most often construes loyalty to him as insistence on the truth of those claims. Loyalty becomes belief in the historical truthfulness of all the statements in the gospels. Discipleship is then easily confused with dogmatism or doctrinal orthodoxy.

The absence of an image - the most common fruit of biblical scholarship in this century - leaves us with no clear notion of what it means to take Jesus seriously, no notion of what loyalty might entail, no direction for the life of discipleship. But the vision of Jesus as a person of Spirit, deeply involved in the historical crisis of his own time, can shape the church’s discipleship today. For us, as for the world in which he lived, he can be the light in our darkness.”
1 likes