Start by marking “100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know: Engagement Chicken and 99 Other Fabulous Dishes to Get You Everything You Want in Life” as Want to Read:

Once upon a time, there was an easy roast chicken recipe, handed down by a fashion editor at Glamour magazine to her assistant, who was in search of a dish to prepare for dinner with her boyfriend. She made the chicken. Her boyfriend loved it. He had seconds. And shortly thereafter, he proposed. But that's not all: Three more young women at the magazine made the chicken fo ...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about 100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know

Heidi
Sep 12, 2011 Heidi rated it it was ok
I'm sorry I guess I'll give this two stars for the recipes, but i'll be damned if i'm going to go out of my way to cook a chicken to get a guy to propose (i know I'm already married so apparently my chicken wasn't too terrible) but I'm not going to try to learn to cook a meal to get a man... I yam who i yam... you don't like it"?? a chicken ain't gonna change it... :( step back for women's lib
Hannah R. Miller
Nov 28, 2014 Hannah R. Miller rated it it was ok
I was somewhat insulted by this book. It read like something out of the 1950's. The message was "You need a man and a ring to be complete and the way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Really? I tried some of the recipes. Most of them were good, but not great.
Amy
May 16, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, food, wish-list
There is something endearingly old-school 50s housewife about this book and the recipes within it. I love that Glamour has differentiated itself from Cosmo even more with their features on weddings, engagement, nesting and now cooking! Though there are many recipes in this book I don't really need a recipe for - like meatloaf, hamburgers, salsa and (really there are people out there who don't know how to make this?) garlic bread - others are ones I will definitely use in the future! Basically I ...more
Jan 21, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
This was actually better than expected. I've long believed that food can influence us and those we cook for, and this book feeds that theory. Most of the recipes are simple, and can be made with ingredients you already have at home. Two things - the food isn't particularly kid-friendly (probably not an issue with most Glamour readers) and I could have done without the long-winded introduction on the power of engagement chicken.

A good book to take out of the library - most people would find at le
Erin
Nov 28, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
I picked this up at the library this morning and flipped through it this afternoon. I love Glamour magazine and the recipes that they feature, but I'm just not impressed with the recipes. I am so glad I didn't buy this cookbook! The names of the recipes are cute. I'm trying the "Make New Friends Cobbler" tonight based on another review, but that's most likely the only one that I'll try. Bottom line: probably best for a 20-something career girl with limited time and not-so-much cooking ...more
Feb 04, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of cooking and by relation, cooking books. However, I have made the book's premise recipe before, the "Engagement Chicken" and it's a super easy, simple and delicious meal that every woman should have in her arsenal (whether you're looking to get married or not). The book also contains several easy and delicious sounding recipes as well as more complicated fare for you adventurists.
Kristie J.
Dec 29, 2011 Kristie J. rated it liked it
Cute cookbook with fun-to-read recipe names. I chose several of the recipes to try, including the engagement chicken. I wonder what the engagement chicken does for married girls? :-) I really liked the layout of this cookbook with its pink pages and pink titles, tips, and introductions to the recipes. Normally, I like pictures of the finished recipes in cookbooks (there are none in this one), however with the cute descriptions and nice layout, I never even missed the pictures.
Felicia
Aug 09, 2013 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book. The recipes are very easy to follow (even for a beginner like me) and I liked the catchy names of the recipes and stories. Reading it, I felt like a group of my friends had just put a bunch of great recipes together for me. It was great. I haven't tried the engagement chicken yet... but I made the I love you pancakes and yum.
Mandi
Aug 22, 2013 Mandi rated it did not like it
Glad I got this book from the library and didn't buy it. The engagement chicken? Um...just lemon roasted chicken. I think my expectations were too high, both on the chicken and book itself. A fun read to flip through, but that's about it. And yes, been married 10 years.
Danie
May 29, 2011 Danie rated it really liked it
I liked this recipe book because there was a variety of recipes, some easy some more challenging, there is something in there for everyone.
I also liked how before each of the recipes there was a little "story".
Meagan
Oct 31, 2011 Meagan rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
I can't believe that anyone would actually propose to someone after the "engagement" chicken was place in front of them. Honey, I wouldn't even put out if someone put that in front of me.

What the heck are these recipes even for? People who can barely use a microwave? This is embarrassing.
Lisa Geddes
Dec 15, 2011 Lisa Geddes rated it it was ok
Great book for someone who is new to home cooking, but the recipes are fairly basic for an experienced home chef. In my opinion every one of them could stand to be "doctored up" or "kicked up a notch".
Melissa
Jan 08, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
I don't know of this counts as reading a book but it was cute. I loved all the sassy titles of the dishes and the side stories. I'm excited to try some recipes!
Tasha
Jun 16, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Despite my various issues with its packaging, I think overall this book has some good tips and recipes.
Brandy
Feb 24, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Couldn't live without this cookbook! I use it all the time. It's my go to cookbook. Love love love it!
Morgan
Nov 17, 2011 Morgan rated it did not like it
Shelves: cook-books
This book is all about how to "hook a hottie" with your cooking.

It's very sexist.

And the recipes aren't that great.
Sam Zon
Nov 27, 2011 Sam Zon rated it it was amazing
Sooo awesome! Well worth the read JUST for the recipe called "Make New Friend Cobbler!" I adore this book!
Kirsten
Mar 11, 2016 Kirsten rated it liked it
There were some recipes I would make, but overall, not a lot. It would be great if there were pictures in the book, too, but there wasn't any at all which was disappointing.
Heather
May 23, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
click here for a full review: http://www.girlichef.com/2011/05/cook...
Amy Pfeiffer
May 08, 2011 Amy Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
The recipes look great! The names of the recipes are sassy, and I love the idea of making a cookbook for young women who don't know how to cook, and can make amazing dishes.
Hilary
May 28, 2012 Hilary rated it liked it
Cute with lots of interesting tips and recipes. Some recipes seem very basic, though. There are vegetarian dishes too.
Mandi
Mandi rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Siewmey2015gmail.Com
Siewmey2015gmail.Com rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
ReadingWench
May 08, 2011 ReadingWench rated it liked it
Super simple recipe book on basic items.
Laney
Laney rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Danielle Romero
Danielle Romero rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
This book is horrifying 3 6 Jul 15, 2014 12:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: 100 recipes every woman should know 16 24 Jul 14, 2014 05:24AM
  • The Best Kitchen Quick Tips: 534 Tricks, Techniques, and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • The Everything Potluck Cookbook (Everything Series)
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • What Kings Ate and Wizards Drank
  • Louisiana Real and Rustic
  • Cooking for Friends
  • Best Christmas Cookie Recipes: Easy Holiday Cookies 2014
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • Lidia's Commonsense Italian Cooking: 150 Delicious and Simple Recipes Anyone Can Master
  • Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals