Start by marking “Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2)” as Want to Read:
Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2)

Legends 1 (Legends I part 1/2)

Half the hardback version

The Hedge Knight (1998) George R. R. Martin
The Sea and Little Fishes (1998) Terry Pratchett
The Burning Man (1998) Tad Williams
Runner of Pern (1998) Anne McCaffrey
New Spring (1998) Robert Jordan
Published 1999 by Voyager (first published August 25th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Legends 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends 1

Em Cat
Jan 09, 2016 Em Cat rated it liked it
Overall review - an enjoyable compilation of short stories whether you are familiar with the authors or not.

The Sea and Little Fishes - 4.5/5
I'm quite a fan of Terry Pratchett's work although I haven't read any of his books in a little while. I found this to be a lovely sojourn back into the Discworld and Pratchett's inimitable writing style. A very enjoyable short story and one that made me go on a small quest to find some more Pratchett books to add to my collection.

Runner of Pern - 3.5/5
This
Hayley
Jul 25, 2014 Hayley rated it liked it
The sea and little fishes: 4/5. Short and enjoyable, told in typical Pratchett style. Don't need to have read any granny weatherwax novels to appreciate.

Runner of pern: 3/5. It was ok, but didn't make me want to go read more of her books.

The hedge night: 4/5. My favourite of the 5 stories. I havent actually read any George R. R. Martin before this but if this is anything to go by I need to move him up my to read list a bit. Theres references to families and people that I didn't really get as I h
Robert Beveridge
Jan 20, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Robert Silverberg (ed.), Legends, vol. 2 (Tor, 1998)

This is water in the desert for fans of fantasy series whose books have a tendency to have a long time between releases. Anne McCaffrey (Pern), George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire), and Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth) all contribute short novels to this volume in the Legends series, and all are well worth your time.

Goodkind's story, "Debt of Bones," leads off the trilogy, and deals with a time when Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander was much younge
Pieter Janse van Vuuren
Mar 01, 2015 Pieter Janse van Vuuren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Short stories from a number of well know fantasy writers it made me want to read the authors' work I know again and peaked my interest in the ones I have yet to come across. A definite recommendation for the fantasy genre fan.
Katrina Evans
Sep 12, 2016 Katrina Evans rated it liked it
It was okay, I really enjoyed the Discworld story and the Pern story, but I'd already read the George R R Martin story and I was bored by the other 2.

Kieran
Aug 13, 2013 Kieran rated it it was amazing
This book confirmed several things:

1. I love Granny Weatherwax.
2. The Hedgeknight really is as good as everyone made out.
3. I find most 'hard fantasy' very hard to get into to.

So the five stars are based on the stories I actually managed to finish, the Pratchett and the Martin! Maybe one day I'll read the stories *not* about Granny, Nanny, Dunk and Egg...
Debbie
Jul 09, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I got this book out of the library to read George R.R. Martin's story 'The Hedge Knight' about Dunk and Egg after I'd read another of his stories about them in his Warriors anthology.

It was also a really enjoyable story and has me itching to read his A Song of Ice and Fire series.
Jan-Maat
Bought this purely for the GRRMartin Dunk & Egg story, which is a great stories in the context of his ASOIAF series. Enjoyed the Pratchett and the Tad Williams stories and the Anne McCaffrey story was sweet enough.
Maddalena
non ho letto l'ultimo racconto, vero... ma in fondo non avendo mai letto nulla di jordan non ci stavo capendo nulla ;_;
Il penultimo racconto l'ho letto pur non conoscendo l'autore, ma che schifo -.-
BVZM
May 02, 2012 BVZM rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-check, paper
Ottimo Pratchett, molto buona McCaffrey, ottimo Martin, discreto Williams, insopportabile Jordan (che infatti non sono riuscito a finire).
Aubrey
Jenny Burridge
Jan 04, 2013 Jenny Burridge rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Trista
Trista marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Colin King
Colin King marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Joss
Joss rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Lizzie Willis
Lizzie Willis rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Tammy Kavooris
Tammy Kavooris is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
SaberX
SaberX marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Emma
Emma is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2016
Madeleine Renvall
Madeleine Renvall marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Kim Powell
Kim Powell rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jackie R
Jackie R rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Knights Of Madness
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The New Discworld Companion
  • Web Site Story
  • Nerilka's Story & The Coelura
  • Overtime: Introducing the greatest performer of all time and a half
  • The Rising (The Flight Engineer, #1)
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Legends (2 books)