Start by marking “Latter Days” as Want to Read:
Latter Days

Latter Days

“It’s an all-stops-out heart-tugger for sure . . . its emotional wallop is earned honestly and uncompromisingly.”—Kevin Thomas, L.A. Times

Winner of the Outstanding First Narrative Feature Award at OUTFest (the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival), and the Best Gay Male Feature Film Award at the Philadelphia International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival.

Combine a hu
Published April 1st 2004 by Alyson Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Latter Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latter Days

Amy
May 08, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq, 2011
I was a bit afraid to dive into this book, since the movie is in my top 5 favorites. But I was very pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a straight from movie to page interpretation, since I think it said this was based on the screenplay. Now, the dialogue and scenes were pretty much the same as in the movie as far as I could tell. It's been a few months since I have seen the movie.

BUT we get to hear inside every character's head! We get to know what they are thinking, how they feel, background
Nathan Burgoine
Mar 19, 2012 Nathan Burgoine rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt
Not a bad book, it's based on an adapted screenplay, so you can imagine its depth and breadth of character. Still, it took me one evening to read, and parts made me smile, and parts made me a little sad.

Here's the basic set up: Stereotypically gay Christian basically lives for sex, and is shallow and pointless. He and his friends note the arrival of a group of Mormons on their mission across the way, and his friends make him bet he can't bed one of them (and steal the sacred underwear) before th
Chris Friend
Jan 03, 2008 Chris Friend rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who have no DVD players
Normally, I'm a huge fan of film novelizations, especially on films I enjoy. Considering I adored the film, I had great expectations of this book. Sadly, it fell flat and thoroughly failed in nearly all respects. The one thing the book did well was stay true to the film. The unfortunate side was that the book did scarcely a thing beyond staying true to the film. No extra insight; few extra details; zero added emotion.

If you've seen the film and watched the deleted scenes from the DVD, only two o
melanie
Aug 30, 2016 melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, 4-stars, owned, 2016
"Dad, your grandfather had at least a half-dozen wives, and the same goes for every single person in this room. I'd say we were the original definition of 'alternative lifestyle.' But now that we've conveniently erased that episode from our theology, that gives our church the right to define normal for everybody else? Don't you see what a contradiction that is?"

being queer and growing up in utah (aka the land of the mormons), i just feel very emotionally attached to this story. i fell in love wi
Grace
Mar 19, 2009 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. One of my gay friends loaned it to me because, after the closing of Harry Potter, none of us had anything to do in our spare time but pick up little novels to read. It only kept me busy for about a week. I liked the story line because I have a lot of gay friends, several of them who are closeted to their families and know how they feel to not be able to trust their loved ones.
Tara Lynn
Ok, first thing:

I saw the movie befoee I read the book. In terms of gay cinema, it's a really cute movie. Considering the slew of badly overacted or badly written/produced gay cinema out there, getting one that's really cute/great/well-written can be tough. Now, having noticed that the novelization of the movie is based on the screenplay, I'm going to say that I have more respect for the actor who plays Aaron, I really feel like the material that he was given had very little depth. At times, th
Ian Marshall
Apr 23, 2013 Ian Marshall rated it it was amazing
I saw the film first and then read the book. The book, for me, padded out the screen characters. It's a fast read for sure. But there is plenty of substance here for discussion. In short, the book represents the strident stance of religious fundamentalism against unfolding 21st Century society. We see the ducking-stool mentality, still so present today, in so many churches and the lengths to which people will go to 'enforce' their beliefs on others.

It's a good read and I'm happy to give it five.
Robert
Aug 10, 2011 Robert rated it did not like it
After seeing the movie I was thrilled to find the book; this is one of the rare cases where the movie far outshines the book. The story is very rushed and the characters lack depth (Even though one of the main characters, Christian, is a shallow character, his shallowness could have still been portrayed with more depth.). Most of the descriptions are superficial. Christian's flings had lukewarm and brief descriptions, and when it came to the relationship that really mattered (Christian and Aaron ...more
May 29, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
After watching the movie, I saw that there was a novel based off it. I had never read a novelization of a movie before but since I loved the story I felt this was a good one to try. Overall it was a very enjoyable read. While sometimes it felt like the author's intention was to summarize the movie -by focusing on the characters' clothing choices rather than actions and inner feelings- the back stories of the minor characters gave them more depth and more insight into their actions.
It took me les
Eric Martin
Aug 21, 2015 Eric Martin rated it it was ok
This book is based on the film, and is a very fast, slightly naughty read. The story isn't great, but a part of my young self really liked the escapist fantasy presented in this book.

It's ultimately a gay love story, and it tackles the inner turmoil caused when religion comes between two people, which are both themes that resonate with me personally. This book will not change lives, but it's not the most horrible book either.
Jasmine
Apr 17, 2015 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
I loved this film, it blew me away and I didn't expect to feel what it made me feel. That being said, the book adaption probably wouldn't have impressed me had I not seen the film first. But I had, and I loved it. I'm getting "beautiful" "funny" and "good" tattooed soon, I love Aaron's quote about everything being connected so much.
Inga Ingvarsdóttir
May 17, 2015 Inga Ingvarsdóttir rated it liked it
I've wanted to see the movie that this book is based on but I've never found it anywhere. So when I found the book at the library, I just read that instead (though I might watch the movie if I have come across it). It was a rather lovely read but the plot twists were so obviously movie-esque. Still, the romance was tender and the tension was well done.
Brittany Soncek
Jul 28, 2011 Brittany Soncek rated it it was amazing
The movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and the book was exactly like it. The only thing I didn't understand was the prologue. It really had nothing to do with the story and I'm glad they didn't add it in the movie. The best part of the book was the lines they used were the exact same in the movie. I enjoyed reading it!
manatee
Apr 18, 2011 manatee rated it liked it
I enjoyed the novelization because I love the movie and it tugs at my heartstrings every time I see it. I realize that it is contrived and cheesy,but there is just something about it because it really is romantic. I can't recommend this book with a straight face. Author is fascinated with the smell of sweat.

Ben Pound
Apr 24, 2008 Ben Pound rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible story of a Mormon who comes to terms with his sexuality in the context of a romance with a West Hollywood party boy forcing him to choose between his religion and his true self. Very moving and intense in its character portrayal.
Erin Wynn
I got the impression T. Fabris wasn't used to writing fiction when I read this (although I could be wrong) but I really enjoyed this, Latter Days is my favourite movie of all time and this added slightly more to it.
L.T. Ville
Jan 18, 2012 L.T. Ville rated it it was ok
I saw the movie before I read the book. I think that was a mistake. The book was missing something. The movie moved me but the book didn't do anything for me. I still read all of it though because I kept hoping that it would get better. So much for hope.
Jen
Oct 11, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed the premise of the story, this adaptation of a screenplay didn't read very well as a novelization. It was very choppy and the characters weren't fully developed. I would enjoy seeing the movie though because the underlying story was very interesting, sweet, and touching.
Christy
Jan 30, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I adored this movie wholeheartedly. I had hoped that the book would give more insight into the characters-- more internal monologues, more details, an extended scene at the ending. I was very disappointed.
katy
Apr 13, 2009 katy rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed reading the book and the story was fantastic. It did lack the character development and flow that comes from adapting a screenplay into a novel though; certain things just translate better on film than in words. All and all though an excellent story, heartbreaking even.
Olivia
Aug 25, 2008 Olivia rated it liked it
This is one of the few times the movie was better than the book. I think the only thing better about the book was that some thoughts and feelings that couldn't be caught on film were found in the pages of this book.
Steven
May 12, 2010 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homoerotic, romance
Good story and did the movie it was based on justice.
Anastasia
Feb 03, 2013 Anastasia rated it really liked it
A great novelization of the movie that added a few extra scenes that gave more background on some of the characters. Easy read as well!
Andrew
Nov 07, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Beautiful love story. The book really is just the novelization of the film, which is heart-wrenching. If you ask, I'd simply recommend watching the film over and over.
Steven
Apr 10, 2008 Steven rated it did not like it
I got this book a few years ago after watching the movie. The book was so boring I couldn't even get past the first chapter, and I have to say the movie really wasnt even worth renting.
JoAlice
Jan 13, 2015 JoAlice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: very-favorite
I truly loved reading this book. I really got it read within a couple of hours. I have seen the movie of it many times and enjoyed it. This is among my favorite reads
Michael Adam Reale
Dec 16, 2014 Michael Adam Reale rated it it was amazing
a delightfully charming book. it was a beautifully written love story.
Alfred
Alfred rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
George Kester
George Kester rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • He's The One
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Changing Tides
  • Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4)
  • 2nd Time Around
  • The Married Man
  • Letters to Montgomery Clift
  • Lions and Tigers and Snares
  • Shameless
  • Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • Leave Myself Behind
  • Exiles in America
  • Brendan Wolf

“You want revelations engraved in gold and angels trumpeting down from heaven? But what if this is it instead? Me, telling you I love you, right here in the snow” 2 likes
“Remember, that which doesn't kill us ... sometimes leaves us maimed for life.” 2 likes