Latter Days: A Novel

Latter Days: A Novel

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  22 reviews
“It’s an all-stops-out heart-tugger for sure . . . its emotional wallop is earned honestly and uncompromisingly.”—Kevin Thomas, L.A. Times

Winner of the Outstanding First Narrative Feature Award at OUTFest (the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival), and the Best Gay Male Feature Film Award at the Philadelphia International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival.

Combine a hu...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Alyson Books (first published 2004)

Torn by Amber LehmanThe God Eaters by Jesse HajicekSwordspoint by Ellen KushnerShe's My Dad by Iolanthe WoulffAcclamation by Vee Hoffman
Interesting LGQBT Books I'd Love To Read
56th out of 63 books — 62 voters
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in his adventure on earth by William KotzwinkleStar Wars, Episode V by Donald F. GlutStar Wars Episode VI by James KahnLadyhawke by Joan D. VingeBack To The Future by George Gipe
Novelizations
52nd out of 149 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
May 08, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, glbtq
I was a bit afraid to dive into this book, since the movie is in my top 5 favorites. But I was very pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a straight from movie to page interpretation, since I think it said this was based on the screenplay. Now, the dialogue and scenes were pretty much the same as in the movie as far as I could tell. It's been a few months since I have seen the movie.

BUT we get to hear inside every character's head! We get to know what they are thinking, how they feel, background...more
Nathan Burgoine
Not a bad book, it's based on an adapted screenplay, so you can imagine its depth and breadth of character. Still, it took me one evening to read, and parts made me smile, and parts made me a little sad.

Here's the basic set up: Stereotypically gay Christian basically lives for sex, and is shallow and pointless. He and his friends note the arrival of a group of Mormons on their mission across the way, and his friends make him bet he can't bed one of them (and steal the sacred underwear) before th...more
Chris Friend
Jan 04, 2008 Chris Friend rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who have no DVD players
Normally, I'm a huge fan of film novelizations, especially on films I enjoy. Considering I adored the film, I had great expectations of this book. Sadly, it fell flat and thoroughly failed in nearly all respects. The one thing the book did well was stay true to the film. The unfortunate side was that the book did scarcely a thing beyond staying true to the film. No extrainsight; few extra details; zero added emotion.

If you've seen the film and watched the deleted scenes from the DVD, only two or...more
Tara Lynn
Ok, first thing:

I saw the movie befoee I read the book. In terms of gay cinema, it's a really cute movie. Considering the slew of badly overacted or badly written/produced gay cinema out there, getting one that's really cute/great/well-written can be tough. Now, having noticed that the novelization of the movie is based on the screenplay, I'm going to say that I have more respect for the actor who plays Aaron, I really feel like the material that he was given had very little depth. At times, th...more
Bobby
This is a bad book. After seeing the movie I was thrilled to find the book; this is one of the rare cases where the movie far outshines the book. The story is very rushed and the characters lack depth (Even though Christian is a shallow character, his shallowness could have still been portrayed more artfully). Most of the descriptions are superficial. When describing a character their clothing is always mentioned which becomes dull and slanted, maybe if there had not been such a fixation of what...more
Ian Marshall
I saw the film first and then read the book. The book, for me, padded out the screen characters. It's a fast read for sure. But there is plenty of substance here for discussion. In short, the book represents the strident stance of religious fundamentalism against unfolding 21st Century society. We see the ducking-stool mentality, still so present today, in so many churches and the lengths to which people will go to 'enforce' their beliefs on others.

It's a good read and I'm happy to give it five....more
After watching the movie, I saw that there was a novel based off it. I had never read a novelization of a movie before but since I loved the story I felt this was a good one to try. Overall it was a very enjoyable read. While sometimes it felt like the author's intention was to summarize the movie -by focusing on the characters' clothing choices rather than actions and inner feelings- the back stories of the minor characters gave them more depth and more insight into their actions.
It took me les...more
Grace
I really liked this book. One of my gay friends loaned it to me because, after the closing of Harry Potter, none of us had anything to do in our spare time but pick up little novels to read. It only kept me busy for about a week. I liked the story line because I have a lot of gay friends, several of them who are closeted to their families and know how they feel to not be able to trust their loved ones.
Brittany Soncek
The movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and the book was exactly like it. The only thing I didn't understand was the prologue. It really had nothing to do with the story and I'm glad they didn't add it in the movie. The best part of the book was the lines they used were the exact same in the movie. I enjoyed reading it!
manatee
I enjoyed the novelization because I love the movie and it tugs at my heartstrings every time I see it. I realize that it is contrived and cheesy,but there is just something about it because it really is romantic. I can't recommend this book with a straight face. Author is fascinated with the smell of sweat.

Jen
While I enjoyed the premise of the story, this adaptation of a screenplay didn't read very well as a novelization. It was very choppy and the characters weren't fully developed. I would enjoy seeing the movie though because the underlying story was very interesting, sweet, and touching.
katy
I really enjoyed reading the book and the story was fantastic. It did lack the character development and flow that comes from adapting a screenplay into a novel though; certain things just translate better on film than in words. All and all though an excellent story, heartbreaking even.
L.T. Ville
I saw the movie before I read the book. I think that was a mistake. The book was missing something. The movie moved me but the book didn't do anything for me. I still read all of it though because I kept hoping that it would get better. So much for hope.
Ben Pound
This is an incredible story of a Mormon who comes to terms with his sexuality in the context of a romance with a West Hollywood party boy forcing him to choose between his religion and his true self. Very moving and intense in its character portrayal.
Olivia
This is one of the few times the movie was better than the book. I think the only thing better about the book was that some thoughts and feelings that couldn't be caught on film were found in the pages of this book.
Christy
I adored this movie wholeheartedly. I had hoped that the book would give more insight into the characters-- more internal monologues, more details, an extended scene at the ending. I was very disappointed.
Steven
I got this book a few years ago after watching the movie. The book was so boring I couldn't even get past the first chapter, and I have to say the movie really wasnt even worth renting.
Andrew
Jun 14, 2013 Andrew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt
Beautiful love story. The book really is just the novelization of the film, which is heart-wrenching. If you ask, I'd simply recommend watching the film over and over.
Anastasia
A great novelization of the movie that added a few extra scenes that gave more background on some of the characters. Easy read as well!
Steven
Good story and did the movie it was based on justice.
Warren Rochelle
Really liked the movie
Cassie
Cassie added it
Apr 16, 2014
Anthony Stark
Anthony Stark marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Jessica Jett
Jessica Jett marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014

“Remember, that which doesn't kill us ... sometimes leaves us maimed for life.” 3 likes
“You want revelations engraved in gold and angels trumpeting down from heaven? But what if this is it instead? Me, telling you I love you, right here in the snow” 1 likes