Start by marking “Legion of the Lost: The True Experience of an American in the French Foreign Legion” as Want to Read:

Since 1831, the French Foreign Legion has been a renowned fighting force. It gives men a new lease on life-and a chance to test their physical and mental limits. In 1999, that's just what American Jaime Salazar was looking for. The son of underpaid Mexican immigrants, Jaime earned a degree in mechanical engineering from Purdue. But at twenty-three, he was disillusioned wit ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Berkley Books (first published August 2nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Legion of the Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legion of the Lost

Checkman
Mar 24, 2013 Checkman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody. It's trash.
It's taken me a while to review this......book. Here's why.

A young man, Purdue graduate, destined to climb the ladder of corporate America. That's Jaime Salazar. Good looking, one assumes charming (if his biography is to be believed) and popular with the ladies. Ahh but the poor boy wants more out of life. At least for a few months. You know - a sabbatical. Maybe get some great research material, write a book, then move into corporate America. Like a young prince who is allowed to sow his wild o
Nate
Aug 13, 2009 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-read
Four pages in, Salazar explains the impetus for his adventure in a devastating critique of mindless toil and consumerism: "I realized that if I dedicated my entire lifetime to the company I might eventually end up with a six-figure salary and the title of vice president of some obscure division. I'd become a small tile in the corporate mosaic and then I'd die. My descendants would gobble up their inherited trust fund, and a few years after that, I'd be forgotten."

There are questions that have o
Jen
Jul 13, 2007 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a little hard to appreciate the author's writing style. Towards the middle of the book the author gets into a repeating loop of similar events that don't really seem to go anywhere until the last few pages. The book does provide an interesting glimpse into the Foreign Legion, though skewed by the author's own egotism. As the last reviewer said it might be better to find a book written by someone that had garnered more experience before writing a book.
Nicholas Wagner
Mar 08, 2016 Nicholas Wagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy stories about survival, high adventure, and underdog's, then I suggest that you should read this book. This book was a good story to read due to the constant suspense of whether or not Jaime was going to survive, give up hope, or desert the Foreign Legion. This story is somewhat reminds me of an underdog story, due to the fact that even though Jaime is constantly put down by his superiors, he stills tries and quite often succeeds in getting the better of his superiors, by proving wh ...more
Chadwick
Jul 06, 2007 Chadwick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: millitary history types
This book is not very well written, and I have little interest in the protagonist's pains. However, it does seem to contain a fairly good account of the brutal training process of the French Foreign Legion. Or at least most of it, as our protagonist deserts before it's all over. Not that I blame him, but it seems as though someone who had actually served as a Legionnaire could write a more valuable document of the experience.
Fred
4/5 Stars, worth reading but nothing I would run out and buy. It's a good story, I mean, how many Americans actually rush out and join the French Foreign Legion? And then desert and run away to stay in Europe for a girl that turns out not to want anything serious or some such. Sorry I can't give a more detailed review, I read it about three years ago.
Jim
Jun 03, 2009 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Somewhat disappointing read. I was hoping for more action, but it focuses almost entirely on his decision to join and then the training. I think he could have used a stronger editor.
John
Oct 06, 2011 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1non-fiction, box4
I started the book thinking it would be something similar to 'The Damed DIe Hard' - but it was not. A story of an American who joined the Fresh Foreign Legion and then deserted. Not recommended.
Becky
Jan 15, 2009 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
For a memoir of a US college grad joining the military, try Jarhead instead.
Paulette Noble
Paulette Noble rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Justin Frisbie
Justin Frisbie rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Tonyb
Tonyb rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Cheyenne Smith
Cheyenne Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Mac
Mac rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2008
Drew Lewandowski
Drew Lewandowski rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Ian M
Ian M rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2010
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Richard Beattie
Richard Beattie rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Andrew Crowley
Andrew Crowley rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Aniko Gulyas
Aniko Gulyas rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2016
Vladimir
Vladimir rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Victoria Ferauge
Victoria Ferauge rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2013
Ty Beard
Ty Beard rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Farindra Tamin
Farindra Tamin rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Mark Sulainis
Mark Sulainis rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Aniruddh
Aniruddh rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012