Harold's Circus

Harold's Circus (Harold #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Purple crayon in hand, Harold draws a tightrope and falls into a circus [where he has many adventures]. As in the previous books, the dauntless Harold is resourceful and loveable." SLJ.
Published May 20th 1981 by HarperCollins (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Harold's Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harold's Circus

The Circus Ship by Chris Van DusenPeter Spier's Circus by Peter SpierOlivia Saves the Circus by Ian FalconerHarold's Circus by Crockett JohnsonSidewalk Circus by Paul Fleischman
Picture Books about the Circus
4th out of 20 books — 4 voters
Beautiful Creatures by Kami GarciaThe Dark Divine by Bree DespainUnearthly by Cynthia HandNightshade by Andrea CremerEvermore by Alyson Noel
The Color Purple
474th out of 852 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
My twins really loved this one. We went to the circus last summer and the kids remember it just enough to love this book. This time Harold experiences the show first hand. From riding elephants to being a clown, from riding on the backs of horses to being shot out of a cannon, you have it all in this exciting circus story that Harold finds himself drawn in. It's enjoyed by all my children, no matter the age, including me, as I love to read them to the kids. I'd put them somewhere between a level...more
Min
The wonder and the power of pure imagination, brings the power of creation and happiness to our self-made world. It's about setting challenges and believing in what is possible.
I adore these books.
Sonya Feher
Okay, what kind of children's book uses the words "splendid exhibition"? Johnson's willingness to speak up to children makes the Harold stories more engaging than many for kids. Additionally, the simplicity of the illustrations manages to imply a much more detailed and colorful picture than one actually sees. A fun read.
Emily
Who doesn't love the adventures of Harold and his purple crayon? I love the simplicity of the drawings and the fact that young readers can easily re-tell the story by reading the pictures or make up their own stories. Read June 20, 1012
L
Precious, creative story, great perspective, lovely simple drawings, and all quite powerful given that it's a little boy and a purple crayon. Loved it.
Elizabeth S
More wonderful Harold. What do you do if you fall off the tight-rope? Well, if you have a purple crayon, a curve might suddenly appear to catch you. :)
Liz
Not as good as the first. Some very dated ideas in here, but cute as a kid's book, and especially taken as a piece of Americana of the 1960s.
Rachel Ayers
I didn't like this one as much as Harold's Fairy Tale or Harold's Purple Crayon, but it was still good. And the elephant was cool.
Tiffany
I like all of the Harold books--the feats he accomplishes in his two-dimensional space is so clever.
Tracy Morton
I had the children predict what Harold was drawing. It kept them engaged.
Dani
Harold y el circo: bienvenidos al grandioso espectaculo del lapiz morado
Jean-Marie
You can't go wrong with Harold and the Purple Crayon at bedtime.
Esther
Enjoyed this sequel as much as the first.
Megan B
I love that Harold and his purple crayon.
Alex Of Bree
Alex Of Bree marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Little Miss Trouble
  • Ollie
  • Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
  • Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big
  • Tea for Ruby
  • We the Kids
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #2)
  • Me First
  • The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • Museum ABC
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • The Three Golden Keys
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...
Harold and the Purple Crayon The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon Harold's Fairy Tale A Picture for Harold's Room Harold at the North Pole