Start by marking “These High, Green Hills” as Want to Read:
These High, Green Hills

These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  12,222 ratings  ·  340 reviews
Mitford rector Father Tim faces the new challenges of matirmony after he marries his vivacious Cynthia, from the trials and tribulations of the parish's new computer, to redecorating the rectory, to his dog's new sleeping arrangements.
Published April 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about These High, Green Hills, please sign up.

Lisa Yes, this is the third book in the Mitford series.

Mike (the Paladin)
I worked for years in a situation where I spent hours in driving so I often I listened to books on tape or CD.

I mentioned before that I was surprised that I got into these books. I have noted that most of the reviewers of these are women (no surprise). Had I not been desperate for something to listen to I would probably never have tried them. Yes they are Christian in content, but they don't get preachy. Yes we do follow Father Tim and his (new) wife and his shaggy dog, but they don't slump int
Melinda
I cannot get enough of this series. After I finish each volume, I am so eager to begin the next one. Karon's eclectic Mitford characters have definitely captured my attention and I realize that I am seriously invested in what becomes of them. I admire Karon's apt ability to keep the stock characters engaging - the story lines have remained fresh and animated and the additions of new characters are lively and anticipated. I feel like I currently truly know these people.
In this volume, I found Fan
Kelly
I'm going to write the same thing for the entire series. It's a syrupy sweet old fashioned read which does not demand anything of the reader. Many find the series feel good, and there are some sparkles of true conflict here and there, but mostly it's about the mundane daily plight of a vicar who finds love later in life and saves people - emotionally and physically.

If you like the first in the series, keep reading because you will be comforted by the characters and will want to see who is added
Dawn Teresa
Originally posted on my blog, Read Love.

Ah, Mitford! You are such a breath of small-town fresh air!

If you are unfamiliar with the Mitford Years series, you need to start at the beginning, At Home in Mitford. These books, which follow life in a sleepy North Carolina town, are told from the point of view of Father Tim, the rector of Lord's Chapel. Much like an easy chair or an old sweater, this series is a cozy delight. You'll not find arresting intrigue, high drama, or pulse-quickening action in
Amy
Excellent. Enjoyed each moment of this story. After I read these books the first time, we went to North Carolina for a sabbatical. So many years later we've just planned a return trip to the Asheville area—right as I'm rereading the books. Not a coincidence:)
Janice
This is the third book in this series, and with each book I am more engaged with these characters and their stories. I have listened to the books on audio, and the reader is great at giving each different person in the story a voice that fits with the wonderful characterizations developed by the author. The setting is a small town in North Carolina, and pastor Tim Kavanaugh strives to serve all the community, whether members of his church or not; he is very much a part of their joys, sorrows, an ...more
Kellie
Delores Thomas
I enjoyed this story completely. I have just discovered this series. Each one has a wonderful theme of faith and redemption. Father Tim quotes many inspirational songs, verses and other things. That is the main reason I enjoy these books.
Dianna
In this book, Father Tim is married to Cynthia at last. She is moving into his home and now he has to learn about sharing space with her.

Dooley reaches a very hard decision regarding his life's journey. Father Tim has grown to love Dooley as though he were his own son.

Father Tim and his secretary Emma are introduced to the world of computers. This leads to a few laughs when they venture forward with this.

In this book we will meet new characters, or as I call them friends. One of these is Lacey
Autumn
Apr 06, 2011 Autumn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heather, Kathy
Sweet, humorous, and believable as always. And it's always nice to read of people who share your religious tendencies and pray for guidance, safety, and the joy of people just like you do. Mitford feels like your hometown and the characters like old friends. Karon skillfully helps us welcome new characters and say goodbye to old friends while still keeping the feel of the Mitford family. Nice to read such a good, clean book where good and normal things happen to good, decent, normal people who y ...more
Piepie Beuttel
Mindy
Like the second book, this one is not nearly as good as the first, but Father Tim is a little more likeable. The books have been getting more religious, and by the middle of this one, I realized I was reading something overtly religious every page or two. Much prefered simply reading about Father Tim's kindness, love, and friendships in the first book, which really is much of religion already (and in my mind far more applicable and inspiring to all). Like the second, this third book doesn't show ...more
Sara
I love Father Tim and all his cohorts there on Mitford. I find myself loving his parishioners like they are from my own congregation, mourning when they mourn, and feeling joy for those that have triumphed! Great read.
Ellen
In These High, Green Hills, Father Tim and Cynthia newlyweds, with all the wonder, adjustments and craziness that goes along with it. There are several moments where both of them grow closer together, revealing more of their fears and hopes. The poignancy of these moments are deep and moving. We especially see a lot of growth and development in our main character. An unplanned flight in a little two man plane, an accidental fall into a cave, and a sudden goodbye to a dear friend. Whoever said th ...more
Cory
Another wonderful installment from the town of Mitford, but there were a couple of things wrong with this particular installment... first of all, I HATED the italian villa remodeling bit. It felt VERY forced... almost like Jan Karon had pages to fill, and the best way for her to fill those pages was with this pointless storyline. Also, I didn't get the sense - at all - that Timothy was a "changed man" after his camping expedition.

Those were the only two issues I had with this installment of Jan
Lucy Megronigle
When I started reading the Mitford books, I didn't really think I would like them all that much. The first one was OK, and relaxing to read, especially after some of these violent murder mysteries or complex political books. Now I am on my third one and thoroughly enjoying the slower paced life of a small New England town. Once you get to know most of the townspeople, it is somehow soothing to return to them and take a peek at how they are doing. In this one, Father Tim has married his neighbor ...more
Dawna
Giving all MItford books a 5* from now on. Read them all at least 4 times. Guess I kinda like 'em!
R J Mckay
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

Slipping into the pages of "These High, green Hills" is like returning to your home town: the characters are believable and the plot claims your heart. In this book, we follow the lives of newly married Father Tim and his bride Cynthia as they adjusts to married life. Old characters pop up for a visit and life goes on in the little town of Mitford. And I loved T.D.A.!

Reading Jan Karon's books remind me of sitting on a front porch, surr
Kristy
I've always said that I could just pack my bags and move to Middle Earth. BUT, it I wasn't in the mood to trek through Mordor and slay Nazgul, well then I'd happily move to Mitford! This is now my favorite little town ever. Love it. In this third book, Father Tim (which is hilarious because my pastor is Pastor Tim!!! ) is now married to his energetic neighbor and dealing with the continued construction of a nursing home and missing Dooley who's away at school. And once again, the citizens of Mit ...more
Joyce
Library copy. Third in the Mitford series.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading These High, Green Hills. I love where the title comes into the story, just once I believe, near the end, although it is no secret. It is amazing that the reader can come to know so many varied characters so well in the course of reading this author's books. I love the consistent viewpoint of Father Tim. And I love not having to read first person in order to have it so.

One might assume that this is light reading. It is not. Th
Elizabeth
Kristi Marion
The Mitford books are charming books about the small town life of Father Tim in a fictional town in the mountains of Western North Carolina. We meet Father Tim in his twilight years as he works in this Southern community chock full of country "characters" that will make you smile. Along the way, he adopts a cantankerous young boy, finds romance and helps friends with problems.

This is the third book in a series of nine and as the book tries to cover the span of a year, it felt a little more rush
Sue
This was the third of Jan Karon's Mitford books to be written, but the fourth chronologically. It begins shortly after Father Timothy and Cynthia have been married, and focuses on their first year of marriage. As with the other books there's plenty of interaction with friends and parishioners, but there's also an increased development of Father Tim's character and more glimpses of his past.

There are also forays into the 'Creek' community of forgotten, impoverished families, and a surprise for Do
Kshydog
Enjoy the easy simple life in these books and the loving relationship between Father Tim and his new wife Cynthia especially with learning to live with another person. Missed the humor of Dooley with him being away at school, also not as much humor from Miss Sadie but that was explained by the end. Enjoyed reading about the camping/cave experience, liked the men at the Grill and their interest in J.C.'s love life. Will be interested to see what happens to Lacey and the new nursing home.
Christian Singer
With wit and a keen skill for making everyday life fun and interesting, Jan Karon created a small town that's so alive the characters and their everyday lives are so real. Father Tim and Cynthia's interactions are cute and their love for and dedication to the townspeople is heart-warming. Everyone that Father Tim told about getting a new computer system told him how horrible computers are. I liked that because computers are frustrating. Stumbling through the cave gave Fr. Tim a new perspective. ...more
Kris Irvin
This book totally fits in with my theory that each book is a separate chapter in one giant novel. If you read book 1, it's ridiculously boring and nothing happens because it's the first chapter. Book 3 is the middle and it has just started to get interesting.

I couldn't put this book down, once I got to the middle of it (the first half was good, but not super compelling.) Once I was in the middle of things, though, I basically stayed up all night reading. A lot happens in this book - way more th
Joleen
Jan Karon is a jewel among authors. I'm so glad a friend of mine introduced me to her writing. Her books are among my favorite books of all time. This one is no exception.
I love Father Tim and all the residents of this little town of Mitford.
Book after book bring delights to a reader.
Would I recommend it?
Absolutely!
And every one of the books within the Father Tim series.
Cindy
There is little more to be said here, that I did not already say in my reviews of book one , At Home in Mitford (AHIM); and book two , A Light in the Window, (ALIW).

The only thing which continues to need addressing is whether or not this one is equal to, or better than, AHIM and ALIW. After all, sequels often do not meet the standard, or quality, that the original books make. In this instance, I can say without a doubt that this book is just as good as AHIM. It continues to be seamless just as
Angela S. Blair
With the characters and basic plotlines finally established, the story begins to move along more smoothly. We can get into the back stories of some of the main characters, and introduce some new characters, as well. The richness of Father Tim's spiritual life with the parish of Lord's Chapel is more fully revealed.
Elaine
I read the book. *I am presently listening to the audio version.

Father Tim and Cynthia are settling in to married life together. They are keeping both residences. Cynthia will continue to work out of the yellow house while they live at the rectory.

When Dooley came home from school on break, Father Tim and Cynthia notice something isn't right with him.

Miss Sadie is still driving on curbs. She and Louella move into Olivia's house (where no one is living).

There is talk about Max Stroupe running
this writer 9 49 Jan 19, 2015 09:23PM
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Home Song: A Cape Light Novel
  • A Can of Peas
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Slow Down, You're Wearing Us Out! (Dearest Dorothy, #2)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real
  • Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (10 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1) A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2) A New Song (Mitford Years, #5) Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4) In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)

“When we turn from our sin, and have the blessed forgiveness of the Almighty, then we can ask Him to run things, and let Him be in charge.” 7 likes
“RATS-IN-A-POKE!” 4 likes