Start by marking “That or Which, and Why: A Usage Guide for Thougtful Writers and Editors” as Want to Read:
That or Which, and Why: A Usage Guide for Thougtful Writers and Editors

That or Which, and Why: A Usage Guide for Thougtful Writers and Editors

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  5 reviews
That or Which, and Why is an insightful and witty guide to writing. Based on Evan Jenkins's long-running column 'Language Corner' in Columbia Journalism Review, the book is compiled of brief, alphabetically arranged entries on approximately 200 major writing stumbling blocks, from the wonderful world of 'that' and 'which' to trickier terrain like the correct usage of commo ...more
Published February 26th 2007 by Routledge (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about That or Which, and Why, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That or Which, and Why

Levi
That or Which, and Why is a reference book for resolving writing stumbling blocks. For example, do you evoke or invoke? Is something between or in between something else? Do you imply or infer something? English can be a confusing language. Having a guide like this can help alleviate some of the confusion.

The Benefits

The book is arranged alphabetically. There are 166 pages of entries. Each entry is typically anywhere from one to five short paragraphs. The writing is entertaining–it’s not like re
A.C. Bauch
picked this one up at the library. my husband had just asked me about the difference between "that" and "which," so the title caught my eye as i browsed the nonfiction section.

a fun book with lots of common grammar and language conundrums. i learned a couple of new things (e.g., "what a trouper!" not "what a trooper!" and was reminded of rules i followed but had long since forgotten, or rules i thought were rules but actually aren't.

anyone who loves the quirkiness of the english language will un
Jessica
"...honor our obligation to the language, and be clear, and let the reader catch a breath in the little pauses that commas contribute."
Dragonfly0628
I will always be reading this book because I use it to look something up at least once a day. It's invaluable.
Tasha
May 21, 2010 Tasha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
A must own. I'll want to refer to this book for years.
Philip
Philip added it
Jan 05, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2012
Dana Lyn Stephenson
Dana Lyn Stephenson marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2010
lcs
lcs marked it as to-read
May 20, 2009
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2009
John Roach
John Roach marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2008
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2008