Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development

Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Rails 3 is a huge step forward. You can now easily extend the framework, change its behavior, and replace whole components to bend it to your will, all without messy hacks. This pioneering book is the first resource that deep dives into the new Rails 3 APIs and shows you how use them to write better web applications and make your day-to-day work with Rails more productive....more
Published May 15th 2011 by The Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published April 4th 2011)

Brandon
Really advanced stuff for people who are ready and itching to dig into Rails internals.

The examples were a bit too contrived for my taste. Several didn't have any reason to exist other than to show off the guts of Rails, and the author even admitted that you'd have been more likely to solve a problem in a more straightforward, simple manner.

It's information-dense enough that I found it to be kind of a slog, though I did like the way chapters were organized, tying several deep Rails concepts into...more
Jacob Tjornholm
Excellent book. José Valim makes some pretty advanced stuff look simple, not least by test driving his way through the book. Recommended for anyone who want to create Rails engines, renderers, generators or similar, and for anyone who simply want to know more about the internals of Rails. It's a quick read but each page contains valuable stuff, there are no boring passages.

The table of contents is a bit misleading because most chapters actually cover a lot more than the main topic.

Also, I enjo...more
Dane
An interesting read which delves into rails internals. While I found the information hidden in this book quite valuable, it was a bit rambly and the examples were a bit contrived. I feel it could have been 100 pages shorter and still held the same value.
Harri Kauhanen
There aren't many "advanced" Rails books around, but this one is an exception. It would perhaps have been even greater if organized around Rails topics (how routing works, rails views etc.) instead of having a "walkthrough" style creating useful ruby gems.
Alex
It is not easy book.
It is really deep book on Rails internals. It helped me understand responders and translations in Rails.
I used techniques I found in book in current projects
Xavier Shay
Good reference if you want to go anywhere near the Rails APIs with plugins.
Dompuiu
Dompuiu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Michel Azevedo
Michel Azevedo marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Rob Sartin
Rob Sartin marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Michael Savin
Michael Savin marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Seba Gamboa
Seba Gamboa marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Gonzalez Maxi
Gonzalez Maxi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Mar 07, 2014
Tan Yeong
Tan Yeong marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Alexander Kononovich
Alexander Kononovich marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Afzal Masood
Afzal Masood marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Læsegruppe for ud...: Snak om kapitel 5..9 1 3 Dec 05, 2012 08:33AM
Læsegruppe for ud...: Næste bog igen, nu med rabat 17 5 Dec 04, 2012 10:18PM

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »