Start by marking “ Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development” as Want to Read:
 Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development

Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Rails 3 is a huge step forward. You can now easily extend the framework, change its behavior, and replace whole components to bend it to your will, all without messy hacks. This pioneering book is the first resource that deep dives into the new Rails 3 APIs and shows you how use them to write better web applications and make your day-to-day work with Rails more productive. ...more
Published May 15th 2011 by The Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published April 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Crafting Rails Applications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafting Rails Applications

Really advanced stuff for people who are ready and itching to dig into Rails internals.

The examples were a bit too contrived for my taste. Several didn't have any reason to exist other than to show off the guts of Rails, and the author even admitted that you'd have been more likely to solve a problem in a more straightforward, simple manner.

It's information-dense enough that I found it to be kind of a slog, though I did like the way chapters were organized, tying several deep Rails concepts into
Jacob Tjornholm
Excellent book. José Valim makes some pretty advanced stuff look simple, not least by test driving his way through the book. Recommended for anyone who want to create Rails engines, renderers, generators or similar, and for anyone who simply want to know more about the internals of Rails. It's a quick read but each page contains valuable stuff, there are no boring passages.

The table of contents is a bit misleading because most chapters actually cover a lot more than the main topic.

Also, I enjo
An interesting read which delves into rails internals. While I found the information hidden in this book quite valuable, it was a bit rambly and the examples were a bit contrived. I feel it could have been 100 pages shorter and still held the same value.
Harri Kauhanen
There aren't many "advanced" Rails books around, but this one is an exception. It would perhaps have been even greater if organized around Rails topics (how routing works, rails views etc.) instead of having a "walkthrough" style creating useful ruby gems.
It is not easy book.
It is really deep book on Rails internals. It helped me understand responders and translations in Rails.
I used techniques I found in book in current projects
Xavier Shay
Good reference if you want to go anywhere near the Rails APIs with plugins.
Jeffrey McLurkin
Jeffrey McLurkin marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Alfredo Motta
Alfredo Motta marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Craig Treptow
Craig Treptow marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Kevin marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Camille marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Luke Pawlik
Luke Pawlik marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Elena marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Thiago marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Akalra marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Alex Kitchens
Alex Kitchens marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Marlon Neila
Marlon Neila marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Islam Wazery
Islam Wazery is currently reading it
May 16, 2015
Denis Laliberté
Denis Laliberté marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Rails Recipes
  • Ruby Best Practices
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Exceptional Ruby: Master the Art of Handling Failure in Ruby
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Advanced Rails Recipes
  • Lean Architecture: For Agile Software Development
  • The Cucumber Book
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »