Start by marking “Dignity Takes A Holiday” as Want to Read:
Dignity Takes A Holiday

Dignity Takes A Holiday

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Pete Thickwhistle doesn’t live what one might call a charmed life. At age forty-seven, he’s a flamboyant gay man who believes no one knows he’s gay, still living at home with his harpy of a mother. Worse, he’s still a virgin, longing to find just the right man to make his life complete. Pete’s an upbeat kind of guy, yet he’s never learned that the answer to his motto “What ...more
Published January 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Dignity Takes A Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dignity Takes A Holiday

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Secret People by John WyndhamThe Man Who Sold the Moon by Robert A. HeinleinOdd John by Olaf StapledonZombie Raccoons & Killer Bunnies by Martin H. Greenberg
Worst Cover Art
20th out of 329 books — 217 voters
Turning 16 by Perie WolfordMaybe With a Chance of Certainty by John  GoodeFatal Shadows by Josh LanyonTales of the City by Armistead MaupinTigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy
Gay Fiction by Men
220th out of 343 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Alaina
Feb 26, 2011 Alaina marked it as did-not-finish
I won't give this book a starred rating for two reasons: first, I only read a couple of chapters so it seems unfair to even attempt to assess the book as a whole, and second, the part I did read was so horrifying to me I can't convince myself that it deserves even half a star.

This part contains what some might consider a spoiler

What I read of this story was so over the top and ridiculously obnoxious it was painful. Not to mention that right off the bat the character abuses an animal because he
Pia Veleno
I won't say this often, but this was a book that is definitely not for everyone. You have to have a certain sense of humor to really get a farce. Check out the title, the cover, the blurb... even the character's name -- Thickwhistle. Everything screams "Don't take this seriously!" And yet, reading through the reviews here, some people did. A lot.

(Yes, this minirant is for the readers who complained about (just to name an example) Pete being mean to the cat and then stopped reading; this was a fa
Lil' Grogan
I find Rick Reed a fascinating author; I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get when I pick up one of his books. I certainly didn't expect to be laughing continuously (given other stories of his that I've read) nor to find such an embarrassing creature as Pete endearing.

A crazy romp that turned into a sweet, hopeful story. I spent most of the time laughing in horrified fascination wondering what in the world he was going to come up with next. (view spoiler)
Cindi
A warped, satirical comedy about Pete Thickwhistle, a 47-year-old gay virgin who still lives with his evil, bitchy, psychotic mother and is looking for love.

I have read other reviews and I have seen where folks were totally offended by this book. There's an issue with a cat that is disturbing and every other kind of strange thing you can imagine. This is not meant to be taken seriously. It is a satire. Don't read this if you are easily offended. It is definitely not for you.

Full review full of
Ken
I laughed like a madman all through this great book !!! If the great Patrick Dennis (author of Auntie Mame) were still alive and he got together with John Waters with the goal to write an outrageous gay novel, you'd have Dignity Takes A Holiday. The baked-beans incident at the end was priceless !
Syfy
My favorite thing about this book is that it gives perspective. Laugh or cry at the absurdity, but we all have a little Pete in us. Sometimes dignity does indeed take a holiday, but through it all we love, learn, live our lives with the hope of a happily ever after.
Tara
This book was a solid 3.5 for me, I couldn't decided which way to tip it at all, it's times like this I really wish for 1/2 star ratings.

I think I could summarize this book pretty simply. Peter Thickwhistle is a socially awkward but kind, sweet guy who just wants someone to love him and instead meets and is constantly surround by horrible people that set to intentionally be horrible to him or make him the butt of every joke. In the end he thinks with his big, forgiving, romanticizing, heart ins
Eric
Really not my cup of tea. If you're the kind of person who'd laugh at (not laugh with) someone who slipped and landed on their arses instead of helping, you'd probably enjoy this.

There is simply no way anyone could empathize with the characters at all. They had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even laughing at them just seems downright cruel to me. But then again the characters themselves have mean streaks a mile wide that a second later you're recoiling instead of pitying them.
Sheila
Dignity Takes a Holiday tells of the misfortunes of Pete as he tries to find love, usually in all the wrong places. It was funny. I cringed in embarassment for Pete at times. If it weren't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. His mother is a sharp-tongued shrew who can't stop insulting him but also sets him up for some of his worse humilations. While funny I couldn't help but feel sorry for Pete. 47 and still living with his mother, still a virgin. I just felt bad for him. He had a lonely lif ...more
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Somehow I don't get this book. It tries too be funny, but isn't. It tries too shock you, but it doesn't. The mother is just an all out bitch, the guy is a total prick and somehow he falls in love with a downstairs neighbor.

Sorry, but this book is not for me.
Lori
Whew. This book is a wild farcical ride that reminds me of a John Water's movie. The humor is not always pretty but the total absurdity of the situations by-passes any offense. Think Polyester or Dirty Shame when you read this book and you'll "get it".
Suzette
I really did enjoy the book. It was hilarious at points and there are some points when I was like you have got to be kidding me right?

Overall it was well written, funny and very, very much a farce.
Erin
I finished it, and it made me laugh out loud in parts. I didn't give it any stars, because it just wasn't for me. Give me one of Rick's sappier romance's anytime! (speaking of which, I did love the ending!)
Veronica /  V
I love flamboyant characters and Pete was clueless,naive and lovely.
I'm afraid reading about his mother drove me crazy, she is full part of the story. She spoiled it for me.
Theo Fenraven
Not for the faint of heart! Pete is 47, inept, clueless, and his adventures will make you laugh and blush in equal measure. Fun and funny!
Daichi Takemori
Daichi Takemori marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Cornelia
Cornelia marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jb
Jb marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
texasmoocow
texasmoocow marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Gary Jones
Gary Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Samhoward65
Samhoward65 marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Latashia
Latashia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • Tono (Basque, #2)
  • Woke Up in a Strange Place
  • Bless Us With Content
  • Eye of Scota: Cináed
  • The Perils of Praline: Or, the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentleman in Hollywood
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Zombielicious
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • A Summit City Christmas (Sno Ho, #2.5)
  • The Prayer Waltz
  • SUBlime: Collected Shorts (Master Class, #2)
  • Putting Out Fires (Coda Books, #4.5)
  • Close to Me (Blue Ruin, #2)
  • Hammer & Air
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Hero
  • Love Less Complicated
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
Rick R. Reed is all about exploring the romantic entanglements of gay men in contemporary, realistic settings. While his stories often contain elements of suspense, mystery and the paranormal, his focus ultimately returns to the power of love. He is the author of dozens of published novels, novellas, and short stories. He is a three-time EPIC eBook Award winner (for Caregiver, Orientation and The ...more
More about Rick R. Reed...
Caregiver Chaser (Chaser, #1) Raining Men (Chaser, #2) Legally Wed Dinner at Home