Start by marking “Dignity Takes A Holiday” as Want to Read:
Dignity Takes A Holiday

Dignity Takes A Holiday

Pete Thickwhistle doesn’t live what one might call a charmed life. At age forty-seven, he’s a flamboyant gay man who believes no one knows he’s gay, still living at home with his harpy of a mother. Worse, he’s still a virgin, longing to find just the right man to make his life complete. Pete’s an upbeat kind of guy, yet he’s never learned that the answer to his motto “What ...more
Published January 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Dignity Takes A Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dignity Takes A Holiday

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Secret People by John WyndhamThe Man Who Sold the Moon by Robert A. HeinleinOdd John by Olaf StapledonZombie Raccoons & Killer Bunnies by Martin H. Greenberg
Worst Cover Art
351 books — 243 voters
Sam Dorsey And His Sixteen Candles by Perie WolfordTales of the City by Armistead MaupinTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyMaurice by E.M. ForsterMaybe With a Chance of Certainty by John  Goode
Gay Fiction by Men
347 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Alaina
Feb 26, 2011 Alaina marked it as did-not-finish
I won't give this book a starred rating for two reasons: first, I only read a couple of chapters so it seems unfair to even attempt to assess the book as a whole, and second, the part I did read was so horrifying to me I can't convince myself that it deserves even half a star.

This part contains what some might consider a spoiler

What I read of this story was so over the top and ridiculously obnoxious it was painful. Not to mention that right off the bat the character abuses an animal because he
Pia Veleno
Nov 15, 2011 Pia Veleno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't say this often, but this was a book that is definitely not for everyone. You have to have a certain sense of humor to really get a farce. Check out the title, the cover, the blurb... even the character's name -- Thickwhistle. Everything screams "Don't take this seriously!" And yet, reading through the reviews here, some people did. A lot.

(Yes, this minirant is for the readers who complained about (just to name an example) Pete being mean to the cat and then stopped reading; this was a fa
Lil' Grogan
Aug 03, 2011 Lil' Grogan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lol, 4-5, comedy, gay
I find Rick Reed a fascinating author; I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get when I pick up one of his books. I certainly didn't expect to be laughing continuously (given other stories of his that I've read) nor to find such an embarrassing creature as Pete endearing.

A crazy romp that turned into a sweet, hopeful story. I spent most of the time laughing in horrified fascination wondering what in the world he was going to come up with next. (view spoiler)
Ken
Feb 21, 2011 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed like a madman all through this great book !!! If the great Patrick Dennis (author of Auntie Mame) were still alive and he got together with John Waters with the goal to write an outrageous gay novel, you'd have Dignity Takes A Holiday. The baked-beans incident at the end was priceless !
Absynthe
Sep 21, 2012 Absynthe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, did-not-finish
What. The. Fuck.
Cindi
A warped, satirical comedy about Pete Thickwhistle, a 47-year-old gay virgin who still lives with his evil, bitchy, psychotic mother and is looking for love.

I have read other reviews and I have seen where folks were totally offended by this book. There's an issue with a cat that is disturbing and every other kind of strange thing you can imagine. This is not meant to be taken seriously. It is a satire. Don't read this if you are easily offended. It is definitely not for you.

Full review full of
Eric
Apr 06, 2012 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really not my cup of tea. If you're the kind of person who'd laugh at (not laugh with) someone who slipped and landed on their arses instead of helping, you'd probably enjoy this.

There is simply no way anyone could empathize with the characters at all. They had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even laughing at them just seems downright cruel to me. But then again the characters themselves have mean streaks a mile wide that a second later you're recoiling instead of pitying them.
Syfy
May 22, 2012 Syfy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-fiction
My favorite thing about this book is that it gives perspective. Laugh or cry at the absurdity, but we all have a little Pete in us. Sometimes dignity does indeed take a holiday, but through it all we love, learn, live our lives with the hope of a happily ever after.
Tara
Jan 21, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
This book was a solid 3.5 for me, I couldn't decided which way to tip it at all, it's times like this I really wish for 1/2 star ratings.

I think I could summarize this book pretty simply. Peter Thickwhistle is a socially awkward but kind, sweet guy who just wants someone to love him and instead meets and is constantly surround by horrible people that set to intentionally be horrible to him or make him the butt of every joke. In the end he thinks with his big, forgiving, romanticizing, heart ins
Sheila
Jun 20, 2011 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dignity Takes a Holiday tells of the misfortunes of Pete as he tries to find love, usually in all the wrong places. It was funny. I cringed in embarassment for Pete at times. If it weren't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. His mother is a sharp-tongued shrew who can't stop insulting him but also sets him up for some of his worse humilations. While funny I couldn't help but feel sorry for Pete. 47 and still living with his mother, still a virgin. I just felt bad for him. He had a lonely lif ...more
Suzette
I really did enjoy the book. It was hilarious at points and there are some points when I was like you have got to be kidding me right?

Overall it was well written, funny and very, very much a farce.
Theo Fenraven
Oct 02, 2011 Theo Fenraven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart! Pete is 47, inept, clueless, and his adventures will make you laugh and blush in equal measure. Fun and funny!
Fernanda Parente
weird book
Erin
I finished it, and it made me laugh out loud in parts. I didn't give it any stars, because it just wasn't for me. Give me one of Rick's sappier romance's anytime! (speaking of which, I did love the ending!)
Lori
Mar 16, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew. This book is a wild farcical ride that reminds me of a John Water's movie. The humor is not always pretty but the total absurdity of the situations by-passes any offense. Think Polyester or Dirty Shame when you read this book and you'll "get it".
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Somehow I don't get this book. It tries too be funny, but isn't. It tries too shock you, but it doesn't. The mother is just an all out bitch, the guy is a total prick and somehow he falls in love with a downstairs neighbor.

Sorry, but this book is not for me.
Kobie
May 20, 2015 Kobie added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
spoof or not, this wasn't something I wanted to read.
V
I love flamboyant characters and Pete was clueless,naive and lovely.
I'm afraid reading about his mother drove me crazy, she is full part of the story. She spoiled it for me.
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2011
Jaime
Jaime rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2014
Bookfreakazoid
Bookfreakazoid rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Eli
Eli rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2011
Tom Munsell
Tom Munsell rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Ben
Ben rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2014
Malachi
Malachi rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Tono (Basque, #2)
  • Woke Up in a Strange Place
  • Eye of Scota (Dalriata, #1)
  • Bless Us With Content
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O'Shaughnessys #2)
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • The Perils of Praline: Or, the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentleman in Hollywood
  • A Realistic Romance
  • The Prayer Waltz
  • Rinse and Repeat (Repeater, #1)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • First Blood (GORGON, #2)
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • SUBlime: Collected Shorts (Master Class, #2)
  • Putting Out Fires (Coda Books, #4.5)
  • State of Mind
  • Meant For Each Other (Meant For Each Other #1)
  • Gay Gene Rising (The Disciples of Goedric Trilogy, #1)
Rick R. Reed is all about exploring the romantic entanglements of gay men in contemporary, realistic settings. While his stories often contain elements of suspense, mystery and the paranormal, his focus ultimately returns to the power of love. He is the author of dozens of published novels, novellas, and short stories. He is a three-time EPIC eBook Award winner (for Caregiver, Orientation and The ...more
More about Rick R. Reed...