Start by marking “Moolala: Why Smart People Do Dumb Things with Their Money - and What You Can Do About It” as Want to Read:

Smart, capable people are doing dumb things with their money. They can teach high school, write a marketing plan, navigate the Metro in Paris, file their own taxes, brew their own beer, program a PVR, and even raise teenagers. And still, these smart, capable people often do dumb things when it comes to their money. In Moolala, business journalist, professional coach, and p ...more
Published January 25th 2011 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about Moolala, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moolala

Kourtney
Nov 07, 2016 Kourtney rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, finance
I picked this up because the author was a guest on one of my favorite financial podcasts.
Pros: I liked the inclusion of personal stories.
Cons: It was kind of meh.
The book was fine but I've read other finance books that I like better. Also, it's a Canadian personal finance guy so some of the stuff only applies to Canadians, but the overall information is fine for everyone.
Leanne
Oct 23, 2011 Leanne rated it it was amazing
Moolala is at once comprehensive and refreshing. It's excellent. It's like your smart, chatty friend came over, to help you sort through your account statements and clean out your life.

Author Bruce Sellery has divided the book up into 5 parts:
Lay the Foundation
Determine What You Want
Develop the Plan
Take Action
Stay Engaged

So much of Sellery's advice was so commonsense, it was hard for me to believe that I hadn't seen it before. Sellery, at one point, describes a Priority Pyramid, which he models
Faith Wood
Jul 07, 2015 Faith Wood rated it really liked it
Whoever thought that talking about money could be this funny and insightful? From comparing money investments to baking Butter Tarts, you will come away from this book with a whole new appreciation for what you should know about your money. There is no avoiding it – information is power and this book is filled with the simple knowledge and tools you need to feel intelligent when talking to the bank, your friends or your financial advisor.

When it comes to managing my money, my strategy has always
Maxine
Jun 07, 2012 Maxine rated it really liked it
One of the best personal finance books I've read!

Moolala takes a complete approach to looking at your finances - from determining how you personally feel and interact with money, to saving, spending, investing, budgeting and everything in between.

The short activities given at the end of each chapter are short, to-the-point and reflect back to the previous chapter. They are easy to do and insightful. He also offers a free download of any of his activity pages from his website if you don't want to
Marlo
Mar 23, 2011 Marlo rated it really liked it
Great personal finance book that really got me motivated. It asks you to focus on what your money is for so you will enjoy working towards your big or small goals. I especially found the Priority Pyramid helpful - just seeing what you should be focusing on right now and not being distracted or overwhelmed by financial stuff that would only complicate things for you at present. There are lots of personal examples, both from the author and his money group. It never does describe what the title ...more
Ashley
Apr 15, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
This book takes a different approach to personal finance ing by focusing on what your money is "for". It's about identifying how you feel about money and your goals, weaknesses, etc, including a lot of personal stories (both his and others'). I didn't find it particularly useful for myself (having done most of this work already), but if you're stuck on how to focus yourself to care about how you manage your money, this might be the book for you.
Holly Vipond
Nov 12, 2012 Holly Vipond rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
I really liked this book and thought it did a great job of laying things out in an understandable way. I will be recommending it. My only big problem with the book was how he glosses over TFSAs and essentially says they're unnecessary until you've maxed out your RRSPs. He doesn't at all address that in certain circumstances a TFSA can be a *better* long-term savings vehicle than an RRSP.
Linda
Nov 19, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
This is a very easy to read business book. Bruce Sellery has some good insights on how to manage your money more effectively.
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
Kimberley Linton
Kimberley Linton rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Feb 27, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Interesting read, helpful
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Gene
Gene rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2016
Farid Kassam
Farid Kassam rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2015
BookShorts  MovingStories.TV
Recommended by a very smart friend :) But afraid I didn't get very far into it, not so relevant :(
David Savage
David Savage rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Lynnette
Lynnette rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Theresa Duncan
Theresa Duncan rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
elizabeth
elizabeth rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Taryn
Taryn rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Harpinder
Harpinder rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2012
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Richard Moxley
Richard Moxley rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015