Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West With Lewis and Clark (A Peachtree Junior Publication)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It is 1804 - an historic year in America - and Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and their Corps of Discovery set out on the now-legendary exploration of the Louisiana Purchase. Starting from St. Louis, they're hoping to reach the Pacific Ocean and then return. In this fictionalized biography, based upon the journals of Lewis, Clark, and other members of the team, readers m...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Peachtree Pub Ltd (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Seaman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaman

Sarah Bierle
It's a great story! My mother read this book to me when I was about seven. When I was younger my favorite thing about this story was that it focused on Seaman and made the big dog so friendly and personable.

As I've gotten older and my reading and historical knowledge has increased, I still enjoy this account. I appreciate that it focuses on Seaman and his relationship with his human friends, but doesn't tell the story from Seaman's first person perspective. The information about the Corps of Di...more
Amy
Historical fiction for kids re: Lewis and Clark. Bringing the dog into the spotlight seems like a great way to hook kids and it worked for Bea (though to be fair she loves history anyway and has already been interested in and learned a lot about L&C, etc.)

The book doesn't gloss over the hardships of the trip though - illness, hunger, death, troubles with the native tribes.... so reader beware. Bea had read a lot of picture books on the subject so she was prepared.
Savannah
This one is livelier than the other similar title I read, which is interesting because that one is actually written from the pov of the dog, where this one is simply about him. The other has some more interesting episodes; this one has the more interesting writing. I think that ultimately this one is a touch more accessible, even if both are equally likely to appeal to kids.
Mitchell
Oct 12, 2009 Mitchell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mitchell by: Kathy Dale
This book was a fun perspective on the Lewis and Clark expedition. There were references throughout their records to the Newfoundland Dog that traveled with them. This book records the dogs exploits.

There is an interesting Google Lit Trip of the book found at http://www.googlelittrips.com/GoogleL...
Marie
The dog angle makes this kid-friendly, but it is not dumbed down. The author included loads of historical details from primary sources-- from terrain and wildlife to the fact that Sacagawea's husband was terrible at steering boats. My kids and I all learned a lot, and we all agreed that we wished we could give Seaman a big hug.
Gabriel
Lewis bought Seaman for $20. Seaman was a Newfoundland dog. Seaman was bit by a beaver on the way to the Pacific and couldn't move for a week! Lewis and Clark never found the North West Passage. Seaman stayed with two trappers, Hancock and Dixson. Nobody knows what happened to him! This is a GREAT book!
Jessica
I thought this was a fun, interesting twist on the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is written for young adults/children, so it is lighter than other historical accounts. I enjoyed it, and it made me want to play with a newfoundland dog! I am planning on reading it with the kids.
Elise
This book not only held the interest of my sons, but I looked forward to reading it each night. It was also neat to look at the modern map showing where Lewis & Clark had explored. I loved the description of the Pacific Ocean having lived on the coast myself.
Annie Evans
Normally not an animal person, or an animal book person, but this one was an interesting way to hook my students into the story of the greatest real estate deal in the history of the U.S. as told through the eyes of the dog.
Kelly Holland
This is a remarkable book for teaching Lewis and Clark to children. The research blended with fiction and actual journal entries makes the story come alive. Highly recommended even if you're not teaching it!
Jordan Smith
Great fictional retelling of the Lewis and Clark expedition through the eyes of Lewis' dog, Seaman, a Newfoundland that went across the west with the Corps of Discovery.
Pat
Jul 08, 2009 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grade 5 and above
Fictionalized account of the Lewis and Clark journey, with special attention on Seaman the dog. Some graphic sections which may upset younger readers.
Butta
this book was really cool and kinda sad seaman a dog goes on the lewis and clark expedisoin and gose all the way to the western sea
Claudia
fun perspective for children on the Lewis & Clark adventure from sea to shining sea!
 Jed
It's mainly about the dog's journey. Very cool perspective of the famous adventure
Ryan
I could read it thousands times and still want to read it again.
AJ
We enjoyed this as a read-aloud.
Bailey
This book is AWESOME!!!!:-D
Josie Zhao
Josie Zhao marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gail Langer Karwoski writes historical novels and nonfiction for kids in grades 3-9, as well as “green” picture books. Curiosity inspires her choice of topics and research helps her books grow. Her titles have won lots of awards and are enjoyed in classrooms around the country.

When she isn’t clicking away on her keyboard, you can find this former teacher visiting schools and libraries. Gail’s live...more
More about Gail Karwoski...
Quake!: Disaster in San Francisco, 1906 Surviving Jamestown: The Adventures of Young Sam Collier Water Beds: Sleeping in the Ocean Miracle: The True Story of the Wreck of the Sea Venture Julie the Rockhound