Start by marking “The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Search the annals of military history and you will discover no end of quirky characters and surprising true stories: The topless dancer who saved the Byzantine Empire. The World War I battle that was halted so a soccer game could be played. The scientist who invented a pigeon-guided missile in 1943. And don't forget the elderly pig whose death triggered an international cr ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest War Stories Never Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest War Stories Never Told

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutShadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus
Best Teenage Books
216th out of 265 books — 399 voters
The Greatest Science Stories Never Told by Rick BeyerHow They Croaked by Georgia BraggWind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-ExupérySurvivors by Allan ZulloArielle Immortal Awakening by Lilian Roberts
YA nonfiction
24th out of 46 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Aleksandar
Apr 25, 2016 Aleksandar rated it it was amazing
This is a truly amazing compilation of stories that I never would have believed; quite like the maxim "truth is stranger than fiction" the author has selected perfectly documented instances of unbelievable irony, instant karma, bizarre coincidences, unsung heroes and remarkable people that history textbooks somehow left out. From the comedic to the bizarre, this is a story collection that will truly move you and it will expand your understanding of history and human nature by showing how much mo ...more
E. Kahn
Oct 24, 2014 E. Kahn rated it did not like it
A collection of short historical essays purporting to cover little-known events to "astonish, bewilder and stupefy."

Unfortunately, most of these events are really well-known and the essays are neither very exciting nor too accurate, with assertions ranging from comically oversimplified to downright falsehood.
Dio Aufa Handoyo
Jan 21, 2015 Dio Aufa Handoyo rated it liked it
Fun & light. You find revealing new facts here and there, all backed with valid sources. The only minus is that the most recent conflict included is the '91 Gulf War (the War on Terror is sure to have a few interesting stories), but otherwise an interesting read.
Saikat Basu
Nov 24, 2015 Saikat Basu rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
An enjoyable read over one afternoon. It is not a scholarly work by any stretch of the imagination, but the "history" behind the history is enthralling. If you want to read the connection between pizzas and the Iraq War, do give the pages a turn.
David Devine
May 14, 2015 David Devine rated it really liked it
An interesting book of historical anecdotes. Easy reading and rather enjoyable. Full of fun facts with insight to some of history's events.
Vikas Datta
Mar 20, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting incidents but a little too sketchy... But still a good read..
Caden
Apr 30, 2016 Caden added it
very exiting learned a lot about wars that were forgotten
Kati
May 18, 2014 Kati rated it liked it
Interesting war anecdotes from ancient to modern times.
Saralyn
Mar 23, 2009 Saralyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a perfect book for me. I enjoy history, but my attention span isn't long enough for most history books. Simplify, people! So this was great because each story was just a few paragraphs long. I read the book in practically one sitting. I had heard a couple of the stories, but most of them were new to me. History is fascinating. I'm grateful for people who dig up the cool stuff. :)
Thebruce1314
Apr 05, 2012 Thebruce1314 rated it it was amazing
Another interesting collection of random facts from history. This is the kind of thing that made me interested in history to begin with. Though these stories are mostly related to war, the reader doesn't have to be a war buff to appreciate them. Highly recommended for teachers, casual readers and lovers of random facts.
Liza Gilbert
Jun 03, 2010 Liza Gilbert rated it really liked it
This is my favorite of the Beyer "Stories Never Told" series so far. I felt there was a better balance throughout history (though I would have loved to read more Middle East stories). The only question remains: when will Beyer write about the greatest women's stories, animal stories, love stories, and arts stories?
M-dawg
Jun 08, 2011 M-dawg rated it really liked it
Great book for anyone who interested in military history or just general history. The stories are short and easy to read even if they don't interest you. I have heard of some of the stories but most were unkown to me, so you will learn something no matter what your level of education is concerning military history.
Andrew
Jul 10, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Okay, the title is misleading. To anyone well-read (or from Seattle), you'll know a bit of the history of the Pig War or that Butch O'Hare's father was a lawyer for Al Capone. But it is a clever compilation of war-time stories and is well-illustrated too.
Jack M
Apr 06, 2016 Jack M rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
As usual, a fantastic book from this lineup of history "tales". Rick Beyer is a phenomenal author and puts things into ways that the readers can understand. He should make a book about the greatest gaming stories . Great book!
Debbie
May 18, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
It is a very easy read for non-fiction. Full of interesting tidbits of knowlege about military history from Ancient Rome to modern times. I like it, and I am NOT a military history fan at all.
Jean
Apr 24, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
These are interesting little short stories, but I guess I was hoping for more substance. Nonetheless, some of the stories are historically important, sometimes turning points in history.
John Latham
Sep 17, 2013 John Latham rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, the comedy in this book is amazing, war isn't always for glorious reasons, and this book points that out.
Steve
Jan 25, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very short but interesting snippets of unusual war stories, a very quick read.
Alan
Jan 28, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing
Great book to read. It tells you about some interesting trivia.
Josh Liller
Nov 25, 2007 Josh Liller rated it liked it
Shelves: military
Short, simple, but entertaining trivia book.
Thomas
Jan 16, 2010 Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
great book with some great stories
Elora
Elora marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Para3
Para3 marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Oliver
Oliver added it
May 04, 2016
Kylie
Kylie added it
Apr 29, 2016
Jonas M
Jonas M rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
  • The Civil War: A Visual History
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Stalingrad: The City that Defeated the Third Reich
  • Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey Through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances, and Baffling Events
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Reporting the Revolutionary War: Before It Was History, It Was News
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • World War One: A Short History
  • Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World
  • Almost President: The Men Who Lost the Race but Changed the Nation
  • MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot
  • Rebel Private: Front and Rear
  • Desperate Lands: The War on Terror Through the Eyes of a Special Forces Soldier
  • Pearl Harbor: FDR Leads the Nation Into War
  • 50 Battles That Changed the World: The Conflicts That Most Influenced the Course of History
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
200852
Rick Beyer is an award winning documentary filmmaker, best-selling author, and long-time history enthusiast. He is the co-author (with Elizabeth Sayles Sayles) of the recent book The Ghost Army of World War II How One Top-Secret Unit Deceived the Enemy with Inflatable Tanks Sound Effects and Other Audacious Fakery. It was published by Princeton Architectural Press in April, 2014.

The book details