Start by marking “The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Search the annals of military history and you will discover no end of quirky characters and surprising true stories: The topless dancer who saved the Byzantine Empire. The World War I battle that was halted so a soccer game could be played. The scientist who invented a pigeon-guided missile in 1943. And don't forget the elderly pig whose death triggered an international cr ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest War Stories Never Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest War Stories Never Told

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutShadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus
Best Teenage Books
200th out of 244 books — 370 voters
The Greatest Science Stories Never Told by Rick BeyerHow They Croaked by Georgia BraggWind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-ExupérySurvivors by Allan ZulloArielle Immortal Awakening by Lilian Roberts
YA nonfiction
24th out of 46 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

E. Kahn
A collection of short historical essays purporting to cover little-known events to "astonish, bewilder and stupefy."

Unfortunately, most of these events are really well-known and the essays are neither very exciting nor too accurate, with assertions ranging from comically oversimplified to downright falsehood.
Kati
Interesting war anecdotes from ancient to modern times.
Saralyn
This was a perfect book for me. I enjoy history, but my attention span isn't long enough for most history books. Simplify, people! So this was great because each story was just a few paragraphs long. I read the book in practically one sitting. I had heard a couple of the stories, but most of them were new to me. History is fascinating. I'm grateful for people who dig up the cool stuff. :)
Thebruce1314
Another interesting collection of random facts from history. This is the kind of thing that made me interested in history to begin with. Though these stories are mostly related to war, the reader doesn't have to be a war buff to appreciate them. Highly recommended for teachers, casual readers and lovers of random facts.
Liza Gilbert
This is my favorite of the Beyer "Stories Never Told" series so far. I felt there was a better balance throughout history (though I would have loved to read more Middle East stories). The only question remains: when will Beyer write about the greatest women's stories, animal stories, love stories, and arts stories?
M-dawg
Great book for anyone who interested in military history or just general history. The stories are short and easy to read even if they don't interest you. I have heard of some of the stories but most were unkown to me, so you will learn something no matter what your level of education is concerning military history.
Andrew
Okay, the title is misleading. To anyone well-read (or from Seattle), you'll know a bit of the history of the Pig War or that Butch O'Hare's father was a lawyer for Al Capone. But it is a clever compilation of war-time stories and is well-illustrated too.
Debbie
It is a very easy read for non-fiction. Full of interesting tidbits of knowlege about military history from Ancient Rome to modern times. I like it, and I am NOT a military history fan at all.
Jean
These are interesting little short stories, but I guess I was hoping for more substance. Nonetheless, some of the stories are historically important, sometimes turning points in history.
John Latham
Awesome book, the comedy in this book is amazing, war isn't always for glorious reasons, and this book points that out.
Steve
Very short but interesting snippets of unusual war stories, a very quick read.
Alan
Great book to read. It tells you about some interesting trivia.
Josh Liller
Short, simple, but entertaining trivia book.
Thomas
great book with some great stories
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Don
Don is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Emmanuel Nevers
Emmanuel Nevers marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Nov 01, 2014
Walter Calaza
Walter Calaza marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Reporting the Revolutionary War: Before It Was History, It Was News
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey Through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances, and Baffling Events
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • The Dead and Those About to Die: D-Day: The Big Red One at Omaha Beach
  • 1775: A Good Year for Revolution
  • Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Apollo: The Epic Journey to the Moon, 1963-1972
  • That's Not in My American History Book
200852

Rick Beyer is an award-winning documentary filmmaker, a best-selling author, and a long-time history enthusiast.

He is the author of The Greatest Stories Never Told series published by Harper Collins. The Chicago Tribune described the series as “an old fashioned sweetshop full of tasty morsels.” The fifth book in the series, The Greatest Music Stories Never Told, was published in 2011.

Rick most
More about Rick Beyer...
The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Stories Never Told The Greatest Science Stories Never Told: 100 Tales of Invention and Discovery to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Music Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Music History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy