Start by marking “The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Search the annals of military history and you will discover no end of quirky characters and surprising true stories: The topless dancer who saved the Byzantine Empire. The World War I battle that was halted so a soccer game could be played. The scientist who invented a pigeon-guided missile in 1943. And don't forget the elderly pig whose death triggered an international cr ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest War Stories Never Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest War Stories Never Told

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutShadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus
Best Teenage Books
205th out of 251 books — 379 voters
The Greatest Science Stories Never Told by Rick BeyerHow They Croaked by Georgia BraggWind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-ExupérySurvivors by Allan ZulloArielle Immortal Awakening by Lilian Roberts
YA nonfiction
24th out of 46 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

E. Kahn
A collection of short historical essays purporting to cover little-known events to "astonish, bewilder and stupefy."

Unfortunately, most of these events are really well-known and the essays are neither very exciting nor too accurate, with assertions ranging from comically oversimplified to downright falsehood.
Dio Aufa Handoyo
Fun & light. You find revealing new facts here and there, all backed with valid sources. The only minus is that the most recent conflict included is the '91 Gulf War (the War on Terror is sure to have a few interesting stories), but otherwise an interesting read.
Vikas Datta
Some very interesting incidents but a little too sketchy... But still a good read..
Kati
Interesting war anecdotes from ancient to modern times.
Saralyn
This was a perfect book for me. I enjoy history, but my attention span isn't long enough for most history books. Simplify, people! So this was great because each story was just a few paragraphs long. I read the book in practically one sitting. I had heard a couple of the stories, but most of them were new to me. History is fascinating. I'm grateful for people who dig up the cool stuff. :)
Thebruce1314
Another interesting collection of random facts from history. This is the kind of thing that made me interested in history to begin with. Though these stories are mostly related to war, the reader doesn't have to be a war buff to appreciate them. Highly recommended for teachers, casual readers and lovers of random facts.
Liza Gilbert
This is my favorite of the Beyer "Stories Never Told" series so far. I felt there was a better balance throughout history (though I would have loved to read more Middle East stories). The only question remains: when will Beyer write about the greatest women's stories, animal stories, love stories, and arts stories?
M-dawg
Great book for anyone who interested in military history or just general history. The stories are short and easy to read even if they don't interest you. I have heard of some of the stories but most were unkown to me, so you will learn something no matter what your level of education is concerning military history.
Andrew
Okay, the title is misleading. To anyone well-read (or from Seattle), you'll know a bit of the history of the Pig War or that Butch O'Hare's father was a lawyer for Al Capone. But it is a clever compilation of war-time stories and is well-illustrated too.
Debbie
It is a very easy read for non-fiction. Full of interesting tidbits of knowlege about military history from Ancient Rome to modern times. I like it, and I am NOT a military history fan at all.
Jean
These are interesting little short stories, but I guess I was hoping for more substance. Nonetheless, some of the stories are historically important, sometimes turning points in history.
John Latham
Awesome book, the comedy in this book is amazing, war isn't always for glorious reasons, and this book points that out.
Steve
Very short but interesting snippets of unusual war stories, a very quick read.
Alan
Great book to read. It tells you about some interesting trivia.
Josh Liller
Short, simple, but entertaining trivia book.
Thomas
great book with some great stories
Maranda Heltenberg
Maranda Heltenberg marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Kyle Tozer
Kyle Tozer marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
David
David is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2015
Charlene Keating
Charlene Keating marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey Through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances, and Baffling Events
  • Reporting the Revolutionary War: Before It Was History, It Was News
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World
  • Almost President: The Men Who Lost the Race but Changed the Nation
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • Pearl Harbor: FDR Leads the Nation Into War
  • Lost Liners: From the Titanic to the Andrea Doria the Ocean Floor Reveals Its Greatest Lost Ships
  • World War One: A Short History
  • Worst Ideas Ever: A Celebration of Embarrassment
  • Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • That's Not What They Meant!: Reclaiming the Founding Fathers from America's Right Wing
  • Desperate Lands: The War on Terror Through the Eyes of a Special Forces Soldier
  • History's Greatest Lies: The Startling Truths Behind World Events our History Books Got Wrong
200852
Rick Beyer is an award winning documentary filmmaker, best-selling author, and long-time history enthusiast. He is the co-author (with Elizabeth Sayles Sayles) of the forthcoming book The Ghost Army of World War II How One Top-Secret Unit Deceived the Enemy with Inflatable Tanks Sound Effects and Other Audacious Fakery. It will be published by Princeton Architectural Press in April, 2014.

The book
More about Rick Beyer...
The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Stories Never Told The Greatest Science Stories Never Told: 100 Tales of Invention and Discovery to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy The Greatest Music Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Music History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy