Start by marking “The Paper Princess” as Want to Read:
The Paper Princess

The Paper Princess (The Paper Princess)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A gust of wind sends a paper princess flying. ?Wait! I didn?t finish you,? cries the little girl who made her. ?I?ll finish myself,? calls the princess, and the wind carries her away, over a meadow and a river, to a carnival and a town, until finally she finds her way home. Elisa Kleven?s ?mixed-media collages are a kaleidoscope of color and activity, encompassing a vast, ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Puffin Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paper Princess

Miriam
Apr 24, 2010 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: budding artists
Shelves: picture, art
A little girl is making a paper doll of a princess when the wind blows it away. The paper princess has many adventures while trying to find her way home.

The colorful, crowded, energetic mixed media illustrations are the high point of this book. There are innumerable details, and restless children may be kept busy finding sets, such as which treats are being eaten at the carnival and how many dogs are in the houses-at-night scene.
Paola
Feb 15, 2015 Paola rated it liked it
This book is about a girl that makes a princess with paper, she draws her a dress and makes her look pretty but the little girl don't know what to put for her hair. The girl is very happy with her princess and start playing with her when suddenly the wind talks her away. As the princess flew she tried on different things to put as her hair but nothing really fitted. The princess was flying to different places, she was at a carnival, around town and then she fell in a trash can at a school. There ...more
Maddie Watson
Sep 08, 2014 Maddie Watson rated it it was amazing
Elisa Kleven's storybook "The Paper Princess" tells about a young girl who uses so much imagination to draw up a beautiful paper princess one day, cuts her out of the square paper and takes her to play on her swing to think of a good way to give her paper doll her hair and then suddenly the wind blows the Paper Princess away and she starts on her adventure to find her hair so she can finish what the little girl started.The Paper Princess makes friends along the way and they help her to finish th ...more
Myshell
Jul 08, 2009 Myshell rated it really liked it
Siomara
Apr 21, 2015 Siomara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because the paper doll's adventure reminds me of how we all grow up. A parent tries to raise you and sculpt you into the best person you can be but sometimes it's your experiences and the people you meet that helps you discover who you truly are.
Beth
Feb 28, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
A student read this aloud last week and it's a wonderful book. The story and illustration would appeal to anyone over the age of 1. A must have book for your shelf!
Alice
May 14, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 stars I cute story.. but I felt bad for the paper princess. I love the creativity and the pictures. My niece read this too me! :-) (She is 16 though LOL)
Kim T.
Nov 05, 2014 Kim T. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A beautiful story with a delightful message and superb illustrations!
Romelle
Mar 11, 2015 Romelle rated it really liked it
The whimsical collage art and the fantasy nature of the story makes this read like a fairy tale. The Paper Princess, about a paper doll that is blown away and comes to life, will definitely feed the imagination of the readers. Story of hope, friendship, and love. What is extra special about the book is its metaphor. The inside flap reference to metaphor: Children must finish themselves which they do by an age-old process of venturing forth from home to experience the world, and the returning, ov ...more
Nancy
Apr 03, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrator.
Hillvan
AD280L
Monica
Nov 30, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing
Perfect story for my art-and-craft loving children.
Jul 19, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful story with beautiful, complex illustrations. The illustrations tell a tale in themselves, even without the imaginative narrative told by the words. I love this children's tale. It is a great book to read to my children, and a great book that they can flip through, look at the pictures and enjoy the tale told in the pictures on their own.
Amy
Jan 31, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet story about a little girl who makes a paper princess only to have her fly away in the wind before she can draw on her hair. The rest of the story follows the princess on her adventures as she tries to get back to the little girl (and find some hair). We loved reading this story and the pretty pictures were definitely a bonus.
Katharine
Mar 05, 2011 Katharine rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations, fun to read aloud. Inspiring to my 5year old who is a great artist but sometimes gets frustrated (but who promptly made a paper princess after reading this). Extolls the virtues of a handmade paper toy and shows value is in the eye of the beholder. :)
Mindy
May 21, 2012 Mindy rated it liked it
I chose this one to share with my daughter because I like Elisa Kleven's art. I think it will make a great Picture Book Preschool activity for my blog to make our own paper princess dolls. Perhaps we can include a friend or two to make cooperative art like in the story.
Nisah Haron
Dec 10, 2012 Nisah Haron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Another picture book for children! A moving story about a "paper princess" made by a little girl. The princess was blown away, since she was made of paper and the story is about her journey home. I like the naive-art used as the illustration.
Jul 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great read-aloud for the littles. I absolutely love the illustrations in this book. I had all kinds of paper princesses (and princes and animals) floating around my house for weeks after we read this. It really sparked the girls' imaginations.
Jenifer Jacobs
Jan 03, 2014 Jenifer Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Sweet story and gorgeous pictures. Quickly has become one of Lily's favorites!
Mike Spinak
Nov 24, 2012 Mike Spinak rated it liked it
The paper Princess is an odd but interesting story. Parts of it are a little intense for younger listeners, though it seems to be written for that age. The illustrations are beautiful.
Jennybug
This book is wonderful. It would be fun to read and then to let little girls make a paper
princess, just for fun or even for a Birthday party. I love the illustrations.
Kira
Jul 27, 2012 Kira rated it it was amazing
A really cute little story. Mara enjoyed it. We ended up drawing paper princesses after we got done with it. And we have read it over and over again.

July 17, 2012
Cheryl
An enchanting story with beautiful detailed illustrations. I loved that the princess was bald. Would have enjoyed reading this one aloud to my girls.
J.j.
Jun 19, 2009 J.j. rated it it was amazing
We had to make our own princess after reading this, and she had to sleep with Alla, and has since been taped a bunch. Super warm, charming story.
Barbara Lovejoy
Sep 18, 2013 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely enthralled with the illustrations by this illustrator. They are magically gorgeous!
Heather
Apr 03, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
46 months - A very creative story, we very much enjoyed it.
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • The Best Pet of All
  • How a Book Is Made
  • The Blue Balloon
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • The Day the Goose Got Loose
  • Fire! Fire! Said Mrs. McGuire
  • Zoo-Looking
  • The Storytelling Princess
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • Just Us Women
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare
  • Seven Hungry Babies
Elisa Kleven is the author and/or illustrator of over 30 childrens picture books. Favorites with children and adults alike, Elisa's books have received awards and honors from the American Library Association, The New York Times , The Junior Library Guild, School Library Journal, and the American Institute of Graphic Arts. Her pictures from Abuela are part of a traveling show organized by the Minne ...more
More about Elisa Kleven...

The Paper Princess (3 books)
  • The Paper Princess Finds Her Way
  • The Paper Princess Flies Again: With Her Dog!