Start by marking “The Three Bears” as Want to Read:
The Three Bears

The Three Bears

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  51 reviews
In a rhythmic text with striking pictures, Byron Barton retells the classic fairytale of the three bears and a little girl named Goldilocks. Barton's simple words, bold images, and imaginative use of color have made his many picture books perennial favorites with very young children. Young readers will love the rhythmic refrain throughout the story.

Supports the Common Core
Hardcover
Published November 30th 1991 by HarperFestival (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Bears

June
Dec 03, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: requests for simple versions of folktales
Recommended to June by: Elissa
I like this version of the tale, since I get younger children for my story times.12/4/12

Used for my story time and didn't have the wanderers this time. (I also had a class.)
Lexile: 290
Age: Early Childhood
Genre: Traditional lit

POV: reader
Setting: The Three Bears' house, the forest
Characters: Mama, Papa, little Bear, Goldilocks

This classic book tells the story of the Three Little Bears and Goldilocks. The family of bears is made up of Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Little Bear. Their household furniture and food corresponds to their size, so that Papa bear has a large bowl to eat out of, Mama Bear has a medium bowl to eat out of, and Little Bear has a little bowl to eat
Aldon Rau
I recently found myself left to my own devices for an extended period of time while my mother and sister were involved in an interminable project involving tissue paper. I cannot relate the particulars as they were working on top of the table, of which, from my usual vantage point near the floor, I have an extremely limited field of view. In justice, they did offer me a small section of tissue paper, which I accepted and carried around for a bit. It was not entirely unpleasurable.

Normally I woul
Willie Swinerton
I think the underlying theme in Goldilocks of European colonialists wrecking native economies and then abandoning the situation when challenged by the natives/bears is lost on children. Accordingly they are left with the lesson that there are no real consequences to casual breaking and entering. Naturally, my kid loved it and he's well on his way to multiple felony convictions.
Meg McGregor
A very wry, whimsical, and simplistic retelling about the girl with golden locks who enters the Bear's house without permission. She then eats their food, damages their furniture, and makes herself quite at home in Baby Bear's bed.

A story told for ages this cautionary tale should be followed by an explanation of how Goldilocks behavior is NOT right.
Slpbooknook.com
(Note: I review books for speech/language therapy and for teachers and parents who work with speecn and language impaired children)

The Byron Barton version of the Three Bears is great for use in speech/language therapy because of its simple text and high picture to text correspondence. I have used this book in the past to teach comprehension skills to Pre-K and 1st grade kids. See the full review on
Rakisha
Mar 12, 2011 Rakisha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Byron Barton's picture books can do no wrong in my book. I've been sharing them with my children and children at the library for the last 5 years. The colors are bright, virbrant, and a joy to behold. The text is always bold, black, and easy to read. He covers subjects that all little ones like to read about over and over again--trains, planes, dinosaurs, cars, trucks, astronauts. Now, he brings his brillance to the classic tale of The Three Little Bears with great success. Definitely a wonderfu ...more
Mandy Robek
My favorite version to read aloud. Students love to join in, great for retelling.
Jenna Davis
I really like this book. Especially how it is family oriented. it may be confusing in the beginning for little kids because they don't really say where Goldilocks comes from or runs away too.
Michael
Simple, essential version of this famous story.
Stacey Mulholland
Not my favorite version of Goldilocks.
Supriya Rao
another fav of my 4 yo
Taylor Williams
This was a classic adaptation of the original "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" which is okay when reading this to a child that is unaware of the story, but it would be fun if it had a spin to it as well. The illustrations were definitely mediocre which in my opinion does not make for a fun reading experience. Although the book does have some flaws it has some pluses; the book has very few words on each page and the sentences are very simple making it a great book for early readers.
Brandi
Bold and bright illustrations accompany this boardbook of the classic Goldilocks tale.
Jenny Brown
With bold, broad brush strokes and the bare essence of the story line, this board book version serves as the perfect introduction to the classic tale of Goldilocks as a gentle interloper in the home of the three bears.

Full review:
elissa
Jan 14, 2008 elissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of babies and preschoolers
I think my husband and I read this book a billion times, but we never got tired of it. I've used it at storytime, too, but it's better one-on-one, mainly because you can make a bigger deal out of the 3 voices (deep, normal and squeaky). Fun!
Lindsey
This is a fantastic introduction to the Goldilocks folktale. Short, rhythmic text and bold illustrations make it an ideal book for preschool storytime. Every time I read this book during library storytime, the audience is captivated.
Israel Hsu
Jun 19, 2007 Israel Hsu rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: childrens, borrowed
Barton's simple yet expressive illustrations make this traditional story memorable, especially for two-year-olds. When she saw this book at the library, Anna asked to borrow it again, even though we had just returned it a week ago.
Kylee
This book followed the traditional story that I knew pretty closely. It was colorful and easy to read, but I was reading to a 1 year old! If she were any older, I would probably choose a book with better illustrations.
jacky
Sep 07, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers - K
Today's letter at story time was B and this fit very well with both B's in the title and author. This was a nice and simple telling of the Goldilocks and the Three Bears tale. Simple illustrations with bold colors.
Mandy
Super cute story. Simple pictures with bold colors that hold the interest of young children. My son (age 2 1/2) really enjoyed this book. It followed the story line I knew as a child very closely as well.
Kim
Traditional three bears tale stripped down to the essentials. Big, bold, colorful, simple illustrations. Good for toddlers and younger preschoolers.

themes: bears, bratty kids, folktales
This is a very simple retelling of the 3 little bears, it is very good for very young children. I always enjoy his retellings of simple folktales, like this and the little red hen.
Angela
I got this from the library 2 days ago and my 3 year old, who is normally not very into books, has had me read it to her more than a dozen times already. I think we'll have to buy a copy.
Probably the easiest fairytale variation for the youngest children, Barton's 3 bears and Little Red Hen are perfect for infants and toddlers.
Holly
Very cute and simple. Easy to read to little ones! A great introduction to this fairy tale. I did have to explain what porridge was to my LO!
Dawn
This is the perfect introduction to the tale. The boys memorized this and they love to do the voices of Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear.
Gina Sanchez
For some reason my kids latched on to this book and memorized it. My 2yo always asks for this when we go to the library.
Ellee
Seth (age 3) like the simple illustrations and the story is well-adapted for the sometimes wiggly toddler or preschooler.
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Mouse Mess
  • Ten, Nine, Eight Board Book
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
My Car Trucks Board Book Trains Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Board Book Machines at Work