Start by marking “The Three Bears” as Want to Read:
The Three Bears

The Three Bears

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  381 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
In a rhythmic text with striking pictures, Byron Barton retells the classic fairytale of the three bears and a little girl named Goldilocks. Barton's simple words, bold images, and imaginative use of color have made his many picture books perennial favorites with very young children. Young readers will love the rhythmic refrain throughout the story.

Supports the Common Core
Hardcover
Published November 30th 1991 by HarperFestival (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Bears

June
Dec 02, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: requests for simple versions of folktales
Recommended to June by: Elissa
I like this version of the tale, since I get younger children for my story times.12/4/12

Used for my story time and didn't have the wanderers this time. (I also had a class.)

Used in both PJ and Story Time and worked well both places. I had one lurker from the back come to the front for this story.
Laura McLoughlin
Meh. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations, but Kathryn enjoyed them and since she is the target audience it bumped it up from 2.5 stars to 3
Jul 16, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literacy-course
Lexile: 290
Age: Early Childhood
Genre: Traditional lit

POV: reader
Setting: The Three Bears' house, the forest
Characters: Mama, Papa, little Bear, Goldilocks

This classic book tells the story of the Three Little Bears and Goldilocks. The family of bears is made up of Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Little Bear. Their household furniture and food corresponds to their size, so that Papa bear has a large bowl to eat out of, Mama Bear has a medium bowl to eat out of, and Little Bear has a little bowl to eat
Aldon Rau
I recently found myself left to my own devices for an extended period of time while my mother and sister were involved in an interminable project involving tissue paper. I cannot relate the particulars as they were working on top of the table, of which, from my usual vantage point near the floor, I have an extremely limited field of view. In justice, they did offer me a small section of tissue paper, which I accepted and carried around for a bit. It was not entirely unpleasurable.

Normally I woul
Kaitlyn Lawrence
Everyone knows the story of Goldilocks and the three bears but this story tells it in a simple and fun way. Even though students may be familiar with this book it would still be a good book to read. This would help students to become comfortable or confident in knowing that they could read this story because they know it. So much more could be done to build on to the lesson of Goldilocks and the three bears.
Willie Swinerton
Sep 07, 2014 Willie Swinerton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think the underlying theme in Goldilocks of European colonialists wrecking native economies and then abandoning the situation when challenged by the natives/bears is lost on children. Accordingly they are left with the lesson that there are no real consequences to casual breaking and entering. Naturally, my kid loved it and he's well on his way to multiple felony convictions.
Meg McGregor
Jun 17, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A very wry, whimsical, and simplistic retelling about the girl with golden locks who enters the Bear's house without permission. She then eats their food, damages their furniture, and makes herself quite at home in Baby Bear's bed.

A story told for ages this cautionary tale should be followed by an explanation of how Goldilocks behavior is NOT right.
Slpbooknook.com
Sep 30, 2014 Slpbooknook.com rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note: I review books for speech/language therapy and for teachers and parents who work with speecn and language impaired children)

The Byron Barton version of the Three Bears is great for use in speech/language therapy because of its simple text and high picture to text correspondence. I have used this book in the past to teach comprehension skills to Pre-K and 1st grade kids. See the full review on
Rakisha
Mar 12, 2011 Rakisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Byron Barton's picture books can do no wrong in my book. I've been sharing them with my children and children at the library for the last 5 years. The colors are bright, virbrant, and a joy to behold. The text is always bold, black, and easy to read. He covers subjects that all little ones like to read about over and over again--trains, planes, dinosaurs, cars, trucks, astronauts. Now, he brings his brillance to the classic tale of The Three Little Bears with great success. Definitely a wonderfu ...more
Mary Dye
I loved the illustrations in this book, they were wonderful. They should detail and depth and I loved every time I turned the page to see a new one. Again, I had heard this story many times so that was nothing new to me.
Robin Rousu
I read this three times in a row tonight. Barton's simplification of the text is brilliant. The illustrations aren't my favorite style, but they are clear and bright and toddler-friendly. Highly recommended for ages 2-4.
Karen
Oct 19, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun retelling of an old classic fairy tale. The text is simple enough for young readers to able to read, and interesting enough for them to want to read. And the illustrations are simple and vibrant.
Chandra Fleenor
It was an okay book but it was just like any other Goldilocks book I have read. This could be a great book for very young age children but I would not recommend it for children past the age of eight or nine.
Olivia
Dec 26, 2015 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytales
This is a very simplistic edition of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." I would recommend reading this book to younger listeners, who will also appreciate the brightly colored illustrations.
Anne
Oct 13, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
My favorite version of the story for toddlers and preschoolers. I'm a little confused why the bears wear shorts but not tops though.
Stacy
I like this adaptation of The Three Bears because I have very young children for my storytime and it keeps their attention.
Hollee Young
Jan 28, 2015 Hollee Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Good book for a read aloud with the class. Students could interact with the story as it was being read.
Kimberly
Certainly not anything groundbreaking, but perfect for little hands and short attention spans!
Lucy
Jun 30, 2016 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barrett's current favorite. Like, 26 times a day favorite. The charm has worn off.
Marissa Tartaglia
Aug 26, 2015 Marissa Tartaglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rowan-s-books
Simple retelling and bright, colorful illustrations- perfect for my toddler.
Vicki
A nice simple version of this fun story. Child like illustrations.
Jenna Davis
I really like this book. Especially how it is family oriented. it may be confusing in the beginning for little kids because they don't really say where Goldilocks comes from or runs away too.
Heather
Jul 14, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly simplified version for a new 2 year-old.
Nicole
Nov 13, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Great bold illustrations make it a good storytime choice.
Emily
Jun 22, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
A nice, simple rendition of the classic story.
Corinna
Mar 18, 2016 Corinna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-books
Used for bear themed story time March 2016
Michael
Jun 07, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, essential version of this famous story.
Alicia
A simple version of the classic tale. Good for younger children.
Stacey Mulholland
Not my favorite version of Goldilocks.
Supriya Rao