Start by marking “Three Little Cajun Pigs” as Want to Read:
Three Little Cajun Pigs

Three Little Cajun Pigs

Trosclair, Thibodeaux, and Ulysse are three pigs with a whole lot to do. Their mom has just kicked them out of the house and it's time they make their own way and start constructing new homes in the heart of the swamp. When ol' Claude the gator comes sneaking along, however, the three brothers are forced to question their choice of construction materials! This hilarious ...more
Published October 5th 2006 by Dial Books (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Three Little Cajun Pigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Little Cajun Pigs

Amy
Jan 20, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
This picture book captivated my attention for two reasons. One, a new coworker is from Louisiana, and Two, I get asked occasionally for "different versions" of folk/fairy tales from teachers and education students.

Thank you to the author/editors for choosing to start the book with a glossary for the French terms and explaining the rhyming scheme. For anyone planning to read this aloud, these are great tools!

Told with Cajun sass and spirit, this would be a fun read aloud for older kids (2-4 grade
Annie
Oct 05, 2008 Annie rated it it was amazing
Genre: Cultural Folktale
Grade: 2-6

This book is about the three little pigs. The momma pig urged the pigs to move out and build a house of their own by that night. So the three little pigs set to work. The first pig came across some straw, and built his house. The second pig came across some sticks and twigs, and he built his house. The third little pig, searching for something stronger, found some bricks, and he built his house out of bricks. The third pig made his house thick and strong, but hi
Kaity
Dec 09, 2015 Kaity added it
Shelves: animals
Theme - Animals (Traditional Literature)

Rationale - This spin on the traditional tale of the Three Little Pigs focuses on Three Little Cajun Pigs, three brothers who must protect themselves and each other from Claude the Gator, who is trying to eat them all up after their mother sends them out to find homes of their own. Each brother finds a way to build their house, and Claude the Gator knocks each of the first two down. Finally, he reaches the third house and attempts to climb through the chim
Nicole
Jul 12, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
What can I say, I LOVE a good spin on an ol' classic.

This time the villain isn't a big, bad wolf who's going to huff and puff the houses down, but a mean ol' gator, who can whack down a house with his powerful tail.

This retelling includes vocabulary of Louisiana, with a much appreciated glossary and pronunciation guide at the front. (You'll want to make sure you talk about the words so the story makes sense to people not familiar with the French influence in that region.) The story is retold Ca
Rachel
Now I can see that if you actually are Cajun, you might find this book offensive. However, as the mom of a toddler trying to read him as many interesting books as possible, this rhyming book with its Cajun twist on the "Three Little Pigs" story was very fun to read aloud. I loved the names of the three pigs, Trosclair, Thibodeaux (pronounced TIB-boe-doe) and Ulysse (you-LEASE though his nickname is Boo). The scenario is that Mama Pig has kicked them out of the house and so they need a place to ...more
Amy Ringquist
I loved using this book as part of a compare & contrast unit. Students found the similarities and differences between this and the classic story of the Three Little Pigs. It is a very fun example of word choice and voice with so many Cajun sayings painting a clear picture of a Louisiana Bayou. The rhyming scheme makes this book a fun model text for sentence fluency as well.
Reading Equivalent = 4.5
Susan
Jan 10, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
You can't read this book without doing a cajun accent. My kids and I were laughing so hard after reading this. Maybe it's the accent, but we thought the story was so funny.
FYI: You'll learn all kinds of fun cajun words.
My kiddos and I have come up with a nice come back to call someone when you're angry with them. Couchon Du Lait. We got it out of this book. It means: milk fed pig. Give it a try.
Kimberly
Apr 23, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
4 1/2 stars! I read this book to my daughter this morning, and we both loved it. I appreciated the pronunciation guide at the beginning for a few unfamiliar words. The Cajun dialect in the cleverly rhymed lines virtually compels the reader to attempt a Cajun accent. The illustrations are charming as well.
Elizabeth
This book would be a nightmare for me to read aloud in a story time. Maybe older children (grades 2 and up) would be able to understand the thick Cajun accent used in this tale, but younger children would likely have no idea what you were saying. I don't think this is a bad book, but I just can't imagine this book working for me during story time.
Thecajungirl
Aug 22, 2014 Thecajungirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My girls love this book. It is of course easier to read if you know how to pronounce the words. I am Cajun and I think it is well done.
It offers a Cajun twist on an old tale. The illustrations are great!
We have a huge stack of Cajun children books and this is an absolute favourite.
Tiara
Oct 08, 2012 Tiara rated it it was ok
Another reindition of the Three Little Pigs. This one based in Louisiana, using Cajun lifestyle and rhyme to intrigue the reader. Very wordy and lots of use of unfamiliar vocabulary. Left me wondering if this is offensive to the people from this area, or embraced.
Monica
Finally...an author who included a glossary, pronunciation guide, and helpful hints on the rhyming scheme at the front of the book instead of the end of the book. This makes a huge difference in the reading.
Ryan
The title pretty much explains it. Three little pigs decide to leave their mama's home in the bayou, and try to make their own - but that tricky gator, Claude, wants to huff and puff and lash his tail around to try to get some pig for dinner.
Jennifer Conrad
Jul 14, 2014 Jennifer Conrad rated it it was amazing
I think I might like this one just a tad better than Petite Rouge. It's so much fun to do the different voices for the 3 pigs, the mama pig, and the gator. My son loves this book, and my children's lit students love when I read these books aloud to them.
Esther
Mar 04, 2008 Esther rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is one of the books Jared got me when he was in New Orleans. It is written in New Orleans style and language complete with glossary and instructions on which syllables to emphasize. It is so fun and cute!
C. Soriano
Jul 18, 2016 C. Soriano rated it it was ok
The story was great, but because it was written with a cajun accent I believe it would be hard for children to understand it. This book is best read aloud with someone who understands the accent and can portray it accurately.
Jenifer
Feb 11, 2008 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I checked this book out for my daughter and it was hilarious. He writes in a cajun dialect and has a pronounciation key in the beginning of the book so you can figure out all the cajun words. I want to read his other books and then buy them for Isha. They are great!
Ashley Stegall
Mar 24, 2015 Ashley Stegall rated it it was amazing
We love these books! This and "petit rouge riding hood" are great! Maybe because I've spent much time in Cajun country, but these are so fun to read!
Michelle
Jan 24, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I met the author at a teaching conference I went to. His sense of humor is inspiring! And to hear him read from the book is awesome!
Rachel
Nov 07, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a fun rendition of the Three Little Pigs. I mostly enjoyed listening to my husband read it to our son.
Teresa Scherping
Sep 19, 2012 Teresa Scherping rated it really liked it
Excellent rhyming structure. Funny! The dialect may be a bit tricky to pull off reading for an audience?
Melanie
Jun 24, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun retelling of the Three Little Pigs in a Cajun setting. Loved the pictures and the clever text!
Jamie
Jan 14, 2009 Jamie rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! It is kind of hard to read, as it is all writen in "Cajun". But the boys think that it is so funny. And you can't help but develope an accent as you read it!
Diane
Feb 08, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
This is really fun to read aloud! I love the cadence and the cajun dialect. I love the illustration when Ol' Claude gets stuck in the chimney. Priceless
Katherine Wiggett
Katherine Wiggett rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2009
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Erin Farquhar
Erin Farquhar rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mike Artell is a multi-award-winning author, illustrator, musician and professional speaker.

Mike has hosted his own television show and has created cartoons for many national publications and greeting card companies. Mike’s first children’s books were published in 1990 and since then, he has written and/or illustrated more than 40 books. Many of Mike’s books have won awards. Most recently, his bo
More about Mike Artell...