Start by marking “Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood (Once Upon A Time, #5)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood (Once Upon A Time, #5)

Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood (Once Upon a Time #5)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  4,133 Ratings  ·  268 Reviews

The True Face of Love

Ruth's grandmother lives in the forest, banished there for the "evil" that the townsfolk believed she practiced. But if studying the stars, learning about nature, and dreaming of flying is evil, then Ruth is guilty of it too. Whenever Ruth took food and supplies to her grandmother, she would sit with the old woman for hours, listening and learning.

Wh

Published April 1st 2004 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet Moon

Elevetha
1.5 stars.

I liked Stephan!! I wanted a awesome brother\sister relationship where Stephan helps her figure out what to do about William and is there for her and protective and awesome.....But no. Just kill off the brother and all the potential for greatness. Thanks a lot.

So I like the idea of the wolf being a were wolf, or something really similar, but I wish that it would have been more of a mystery to figure out. As it is, you can tell by reading the back cover and by page 3. Real subtle.

I wa
Ann
Jan 29, 2009 Ann rated it did not like it
I generally enjoy re-tellings of fairy tales, so was excited to hear about this young adult version of the Red Riding Hood story. I regreat to say, I was wrong. This is your basic Harlequin romance with a werewolf in it. Poor, but feisty young woman meets rich, handsome man and they fall instantly in lust. But wait... he has a terrible, deep, dark secret - once a month, he turns into a wolf and rips people's throats out - gasp! But he's so handsome and charming and he bites her lips when he kiss ...more
Rebecca
Jan 19, 2016 Rebecca rated it did not like it
I loved other books in the Once upon a time series, but this one.. No just no. Red riding hood is my favorite fairytale, but it is my least favorite fairy tales to read retellings of, Why? Because everyone thinks it is a bright idea to make the wolf love interest!!!
( Author, "Hmm, I am writing a books based on Red Riding Hood, and I need a love interest for Red. Hmmm let me see, There was this woodsman guy, who came in and saved Red and her Grandmother and left without a reward, he just wanted
Tiffany
Apr 15, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: q3-2009
2-6-08
Debbie Viguie is an established author with several books under her belt and she is the co-author of a successful book series called Wicked. She has her bachelor of arts degree in creative writing, and she says she has been writing most of her life. Most of her books fall into the fiction/fantasy genre and that is precisely where her book Scarlet Moon can be found. Scarlet Moon, along with her book Midnight Pearls, is part of the 'Once Upon a Time Series' published by Simon Pulse. This is
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This is a retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood, a story that I have never really been that found of. However, I actually loved this book! It really brought the whole fairy tale to life, and gave the characters so much more depth. Ruth isn’t your typical girl. She is very pretty, but knows how to fight. She has a love of learning and nature, but works as a blacksmith. William is a great character and you really feel for him and the trails he has to live through. They have great chemistry toget ...more
Kelsy
Mar 06, 2012 Kelsy rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Hahahaha!!

I'm sorry, but this is the second "Little Red Riding Hood" retelling I've read whose synopsis ends with "facing their destiny at Grandmother's house" and I think it is the most hilarious thing ever. When I think of my grandmother's house, I do not envision any "showdowns" happening. Funny stuff.

Anyway... Scarlet Moon is a really neat retelling of a fairy tale that you don't know much about. Besides the obvious "don't talk to strangers" lesson in "Little Red", we don't know much about
Mel
Feb 23, 2013 Mel rated it it was ok
Kathryn Cooper
Aug 28, 2014 Kathryn Cooper rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on Kathryn Cooper Writes

I love the Once Upon a Time Fairytales! They are so much fun to read. Some I give 4 stars, and some I give 5. This one was a 5 star book! It was such a fun read.

Ruth was so entertaining to read about. She had learned so much in her life. William was so cute. Their relationship was the best. The romance was amazing and took my breath away. There were a few cheesy romance lines, but I loved them.

Scarlet Moon was a book I loved! I wished it wasn’t such a short rea
Sophie
May 11, 2013 Sophie rated it did not like it
Ren Dexter
Feb 17, 2013 Ren Dexter rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-12
Clare Holman-Hobbs
Okay, so I read more of this than I did Beauty Sleep (part of the Once Upon a Time series), but although it was worthy of 2 stars rather than 1, I still had some serious issues with the development of the story. I loved that Ruth was a blacksmith and her badass Grandmother Giselle, but that was sort of it. When the Wolf was revealed to be [SPOILER] William, to us the reader, it was then revealed to Ruth a few pages afterwards and it felt just like a rehashing of the information we'd just been gi ...more
Melanie
Jan 20, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed

A very intriguing book! From the beginning crazy scene where Ruth got attacked (and nearly killer) by a wolf, to the final scenes were all was revealed about what had caused the murders in the forest, this book held my attention.

The one thing that I didn't care all that much for was the romance -- it just seemed to happen a little too quickly. Still, I enjoyed Scarlet Moon and, if you enjoy Fairytale Retellings, I think you might too.
Tammie
I really liked this retelling of Red Riding Hood. There were no big surprises in it, but I loved the story anyway. There was plenty of romance and passion but it was still a clean love story which was nice. Some of the dialog between the two main characters got a bit cheesy during the romance scenes, but I was able to ignore it. Overall I thought it was a fun, quick read.
Marcia McClure
Jul 12, 2010 Marcia McClure rated it it was amazing
Scarlet Moon is probably one of my top three favorites in the "Once Upon a Time Series" of retellings! I love this unique, fresh twist on "Little Red Riding Hood." Don't let the Little Red Riding Hood thing scare you...this one is VERY romantic!
Bloomie
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
"Scarlet Moon" is a retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood." In terms of historical context, it takes place during one of the crusades (I'm guessing during King Richard the Lionheart's reign, though it's never mentioned). It's about Ruth who is a female blacksmith after her brother has to go to war. When she was a child, she was attacked by a wolf. Years later, she is attacked once again by the same wolf. In the meantime, she falls madly in love with a wealthy man, William, who eventually reveals ...more
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
The ending is so lame. And the story is actually building towards.. nothing. We already know the identity of the wolf in the beginning of the book and I actually don't see the point of this story.. Such a shame, because Red Riding Hood is a great story.

also on http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com
---
Oh man, this was disappointing. Red Riding Hood is a great concept, but Viguié didn’t do this tale any justice. The story has no real point; it seemed so useless. We know the identity of the wolf from
Lanita
Jun 20, 2015 Lanita rated it it was amazing
Some of these comments are just downright ferocious. I had no problem putting this book down or growing weary with the characters. On the contrary, I enjoyed every second of it! Yes, it was predictable but also unpredictable; it's not so much the destination but more the journey that matters when it comes to books.

The story is about Ruth, a young woman living with painful reminders of her past. When she was younger, a wolf attacked her, scarring her legs for life. The memory stayed with her for
Vicky
This was my second read in the Once Upon a Time series, my first being The Diamond Secret: A Retelling of "Anastasia", and I wasn't particularly impressed by this one.

Scarlet Moon's premise was promising - a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood with werewolves, a bit of magic and a heroine that grows up as a female blacksmith against the grain (set during the Crusades, blacksmithing isn't a woman's job).

Unfortunately, it failed for me in execution. I predicted most of the major plot surprises, an
Rachel
Nov 25, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it
Ruth is Little Red Riding Hood. But she's not little. She's been working in her father's blacksmith shop since her brother and cousin left for the Crusades 9 years ago, and she's pretty tough. But because of a wolf bite in the woods 9 years ago, she's always afraid of entering the woods - which she must do to visit Grandmother. Grandmother lives in the forest ever since the local villagers started to think she was a witch because of her interest in herbs and nature.

Then she meets Lord William, t
Taleechia
Jun 09, 2016 Taleechia rated it it was amazing
Viguie is not my favorite author in this series by far, but this book is woven so intricately with themes that I cannot help but applaud her. I love books that suck you in, connect you to the characters, surprise you, and leave you thinking.

I was very sad to see many reviews quit on this book after a favorite character did not reappear or the romance heated up for less than one PG-13 page total. (He kissed her neck. They both admitted a need for self-control. Oh man, now they're hugging tightly.
Deb
Jan 23, 2008 Deb rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of re-written fairy tales
I was introduced to this book when I was puttering around the teen section of the library, looking for a graphic novel to devour on the bus ride home. I stopped to talk with one of our Teen Librarians about finding some edible vampire tales for one of my friends that I recommend books to, mainly because I was getting tired of plowing through the candy floss crud that makes up a good chunk of teen literature on my own.

When I mentioned my unquenchable thirst for fairy tales, especially re-written
May
Jul 04, 2012 May rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales
Ruth was attacked by a wolf as a young girl. When her brother goes off to fight the crusades, she takes his place with her father as a blacksmith. If this doesn't make her unusual enough, she likes visiting her grandmother, who lives in the woods because she was banished by the townspeople for being a witch. And then there's the young earl, William, who takes a strong, quick fancy to Ruth despite knowing her for a full five minutes.

Yeah, it reads as oddly rushed and disjointed at it sounds.

I re
Adam Copeland
Dec 11, 2010 Adam Copeland rated it liked it
Scarlet Moon is an installment of Debbie Viguié's series of re-imagined fairy tales, this one being about Little Red Riding Hood. I'm all for re-imagined fairy tales, after all the backbone of my own novel revolves around classic imagery of fairy tales, but it seems it has become taboo these days to depict women as damsels in distress. In Scarlet Moon Ruth, the crimson wearing titular character of the story, not only is no shrinking violet, she is a blacksmith who fights men with her fists. Hero ...more
Heidi-Marie
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
When Ruth was a little girl, she was attacked in the forest by a wolf with green eyes. Her older brother Stephen saved her life and drove off the wolf -- but even nine years later, she is haunted by the memories of that day, and still lives with the scars of the wolf's attack. Shortly after the attack, Stephen and their cousin, Peter, left to join the Crusades, and Ruth took solace in taking Stephen's place in their father's blacksmith shop. Now Peter has returned from the Holy Land with the new ...more
Historyprincess
Sep 16, 2012 Historyprincess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: once-upon-a-time
"Little Red Riding Hood" is the first haunting story we hear as children. But Debbie Viguie has turned this simple story into a dark, gothic romance for teens.

Fifteen-year-old Ruth lives in medieval England with her blacksmith father. Nine years before, Ruth was viciously attacked by a wolf before she was rescued by her older brother Stephen, who shortly afterward left to serve in the Crusades with their cousin Peter. Years later, Peter returns, with news that Stephen has perished in the Middle-
Nicole
I wanted this for a quick read inbetween books and I was surprised how good this novel was.

As you should be able to see this is a retelling of Red Ridding Hood. I like the Once Upon a Time series. They take the classic stories and add a twist to it.

So wolves, rumours of witches and first love. I have to say I liked this book, sadly it was short. The flow and language of it was beautiful. There was mystery as well. The romance was a simple one. Quite like how to fairytales are like. Falling in lo
Hoang-lan
Apr 17, 2011 Hoang-lan rated it really liked it
Shelves: like, paranormal
this is a great book...i love ruth and her courage, as well as william and his honesty. ruth was bitten by a wolf when she was young. now, working at her father's smith shop, she met lord william, who has a really big secret. they became friends, until he found out that she was one of his victims. The part when william told ruth the truth that he was under a were-wolf curse is probably the most intense part of the novel and the part i love the most. after the secret was out in the open, ruth rea ...more
Nov 26, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it
The story started out suspenseful and mysterious, making me wonder how the rest of the plot would unfold, but after a couple pages the shine and luster disappeared. I was annoyed with the characters and didn't feel like they were developed very well at all. I wanted to see more of their personalities, but the author just gave you a few interesting snipits and left the rest to your imagination, leaving large gaps where there should have been information. I was not pleased with how Ruth acted thro ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine : Scarlet Moon 3 12 Mar 10, 2013 02:56PM
  • Spirited:  A Retelling of The Last of the Mohicans and Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon A Time, #7)
  • The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin (Once Upon a Time, #13)
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood (Once Upon A Time, #19)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Once Upon A Time, #3)
  • Spinners
  • Cloaked in Red
  • The Princess and the Snowbird (The Hound Saga, #3)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Thornspell
  • Snow in Summer
  • The Phoenix Dance
Debbie Viguié is the New York Times Bestselling author of more than three dozen novels including the Wicked series co-authored with Nancy Holder. In addition to her epic dark fantasy work Debbie also writes thrillers including The Psalm 23 Mysteries, the Kiss trilogy, and the Witch Hunt trilogy. Debbie also plays a recurring character on the audio drama, Doctor Geek’s Laboratory. When Debbie isn’t ...more
More about Debbie Viguié...

Once Upon a Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights (Once Upon a Time #1)
  • Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (Once Upon A Time, #2)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Once Upon A Time, #3)
  • Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Once Upon A Time, #4)
  • Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of The Magic Flute (Once Upon A Time, #6)
  • The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Once Upon A Time, #8)
  • Golden:  A Retelling of Rapunzel (Once Upon A Time, #9)
  • Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (Once Upon a Time, #10)
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella (Once Upon a Time, #11)

“Grandmother," Ruth admonished. "I would not have a man who could not at least understand me."
"And it looks like you might have finally fond one, heaven be praised."
Ruth began to grow irritated. "Grandmother, I wish you would have more faith in me."
"I do, dear; it's the men I worry about.”
5 likes