Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution #3)

Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A deadly assignment. A land poisoned by treachery and battle. She plunged in headfirst.

Late in 1780, the publisher of a loyalist magazine in Wilmington, North Carolina offers an amazing assignment to Helen Chiswell, his society page writer. Pose as the widowed, gentlewoman sister of a British officer in the Seventeenth Light Dragoons, travel to the encampment of the Britis...more
Published December 17th 2009 (first published September 30th 2008)

kathleen
Good book, slow start but I would recommend reading. Characters are well developed. Most historical novels side with the Patriots, (rebels) during the American Revolution but in this novel the characters were on the side of Loyalists. Great to see a strong feminine character who is also likeable.
Andrew Macrae
Camp Follower by Suzanne Adair

This novel is one in a series of books by Suzanne Adair that take place in the British southern colonies during the American revolutionary war. Ms Adair’s extensive knowledge of the era and the locale is evident in the depth of description and detail. The everyday life of two and a half centuries ago is neither romanticized, nor sanitized for our modern sensibilities.

As with her other work, Camp Follower tells the story of an independent woman caught up in the polit...more
Christy
Sold at the age of 17 to a colonial merchant, Helen Chiswell soon finds herself widowed after her husband is killed in a duel. Since her husband’s death, Helen barely makes a living writing a society column for a Wilmington newspaper. When her publisher offers financial compensation to travel to the British Legion encampment to interview and write about Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton, Helen quickly agrees. Although the funds promised are much needed, Helen is excited at the chance to prove her worth...more
J.R.
When impoverished widow Helen Chiswell is given the opportunity to travel with Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton and the British Legion in 1780 she sees it as a chance to improve her finances and write about something more exciting than social events.

But her publisher has more devious plans, which only become apparent the deeper she travels into the path of danger. Her travel escort, posing as her brother, is the brutal Lt. Dunstan Fairfax, who has plans of his own. Fairfax is using her as bait to ensn...more
Alice Osborn
You usually think of the patriots of the Revolutionary War as the good guys~well not in Suzanne Adair’s fast-paced novel, Camp Follower! In this well-written historical novel, the patriots are “rebels” and the loyalists are the good guys. An intriguing twist, and one that makes Camp Follower, Suzanne Adair’s third novel, a fascinating read.

Helen Chiswell, a widow who supplements her meagre income by writing for the society pages of the local Wilmington loyalist paper, is commissioned by her edi...more
Cyn
I think if I'd known at the time I started reading this book that it was #3 in a series, I wouldn't have felt so confused about certain issues and characters. I admit that I kept thinking the whole time that this was an historical romance and that the author was getting around to setting up the Fairfax character and the female protagonist to be a couple. So I was confused when he ended up being a villain and there was no romantic connection to be had between them (though the female did seem to h...more
Norma Huss
This story of the American Revolution is authentic, suspenseful, and completely engrossing. This is the second of Suzanne Adair's books I've read. They had a couple of characters in common, but the first was of an American patriot, and this was of a British Loyalist. Widow Helen Chiswell, originally from England follows the British army officially "related" to an officer, but actually as a journalist to record what she sees. Naturally, she sees a lot, and ends up in danger for her life, and not...more
Jody
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book that follows Helen Chiswell as she travels to join Tarleton and the British Legion. As a Loyalist, she does not like being accused of both spying and hiding rebel spies. She is desperate for money which is why she agrees to travel & report on the British Legion. Helen hides her original identity from several people who could destroy the life she has created in the colonies. She is brave and tries very hard to discover the spies who use her desk to hide...more
Terry Ambrose
While I found the story interesting and enjoyed the different perspective, I kept finding myself being tripped up by the writing style, which I found to be almost like a textbook. Some of the character's motivations seemed a bit forced, but not out of the realm of possibility. What really carried the book for me was the thorough research that the writer had done to make the time period come alive and that helped move this from three to four stars.
Sam
I was unsure about this book, I am not a huge civil war lover, history neither but did find this book very enjoyable. Adair writes beautifully, and doesn't give anything away, which I like. I was guessing the whole way through, and still came up shocked!
Beth
I enjoyed reading Camp Follower. I don't often read about this time period, and it was an interesting journey back to the American Revolution. I especially liked the strong female main character, Helen, and the descriptions of the hardships of war.
Chantelle
I enjoyed this book. It was slow at times but still enjoyable. I liked the main character and enjoyed, as always, the opportunity to learn
more about an historical period while reading. Recommended. Thank you, free kindle books!
Whitney
Interesting to read something from the point of view of the Loyalists during the Revolutionary War. I've only ever read stories of the Revolutionaries fighting against the British. Different perspective for sure. I liked it.
Lori Henrich
This was just ok for me. I kind of felt like it wasn't going to end. I liked the main character and her determination. But the plot seemed to go on and on. I doubt that I will read another one in this series.
Nancy Adams
Fans of historical fiction will find this a fascinating account of some lesser-known aspects of American history. An intriguing plot coupled with strong characters.
Tom Park
This was a very interesting book with a lot of action. It did drag just a little in spots, but it manages to keep you in suspense right up the the finish and then some.
Andrea Kenyon
Interesting story but it sort of ended abruptly. Some of the character's actions were questionable in my mind.
Nikki
An interesting story and plot, but again another historical fiction with modern sensibilities and world view.
Melissa
This book has at least 6 different story lines and it is super confusing. I do not recommend it.
Laura Tarbutton
Love these characters! This is one I will read over and over again.
Terry
Feb 14, 2012 Terry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-on-kindle
Free on kindle today 2/14/12
Therese
Mar 20, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read
$0.0
Marolyn Reid
Marolyn Reid marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Award-winning novelist Suzanne Adair is a Florida native who lives in a two hundred-year-old city at the edge of the North Carolina Piedmont, named for an English explorer who was beheaded. Her suspense and thrillers transport readers to the Southern theater of the Revolutionary War, where she brings historic towns, battles, and people to life. She fuels her creativity with Revolutionary War reena...more
More about Suzanne Adair...
Paper Woman (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 1) Regulated for Murder (A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, # 1) A Hostage To Heritage (A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, # 2) The Blacksmith's Daughter (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 2)