Start by marking “Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild” as Want to Read:
Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild

Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  355 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Contrary to clichés about the end of feminism, Deborah Siegel argues that younger women are reliving the battles of its past, and reinventing it--with a vengeance. From feminist blogging to the popularity of the WNBA, girl culture is on the rise. A lively and compelling look back at the framing of one of the most contentious social movements of our time, Sisterhood, Interr ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sisterhood, Interrupted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisterhood, Interrupted

Rowan
Jan 23, 2011 Rowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the history of feminism
Speaking as someone who came of age in the 1990's without any strong voices of feminism around me, I found this book enormously helpful in sorting out all the confused and conflicting information and stereotypes I have absorbed about the feminist movement. It lays out the history of the movement, covering the major events and developments of the Second Wave (the 1960's and 70's), and continuing through to the present day. I got a much clearer idea of who the major players have been, what has bee ...more
Kari
I like this book, but for me it wasn't anything new. It is a wonderful book for a quick look at the contemporary women's movement particularly the second wave and the third. I take a little issue with the depiction of the second wave only because of the brevity. Most of the book discusses the second wave, which is fine that history is longer and richer, but still more could have been put into the second wave.
Also, I'm wary and just tired of the notions of dueling waves. I love second wave femin
Florinda
Apr 01, 2012 Florinda rated it it was amazing
Sisterhood is powerful, the second-wave feminists of the 1960s and 70s declared. I have, and am, a sister, and I believe this; my sister and I are very good friends. But we haven't always had the easiest relationship - it's pretty unusual to have sisterhood without sibling rivalry. In Sisterhood, Interrupted, her history of contemporary feminism and its factions and friction, Deborah Siegel considers the ways in which the sisterhood analogy has united and divided women.

]Feminism may appear to be
Courtney Stirrat
This may be the best history of the modern women's movement from the second wave through the third - and beyond. Delightfully written, exhaustive in coverage without being overly academic (which I never mind much)AND inclusive of the diverse strands of feminism and political women from the beginning of the third wave. Ideal for a women's studies class, it felt much like listening to lectures by my favorite political science and women's studies professor.
Kathryn Knight Harper
May 08, 2013 Kathryn Knight Harper rated it really liked it
A great review of second and third wave feminists. It gave me knowledge to explain the history of feminism to those who question my recent admission of being the f-word (feminist!) and helped me get a better handle on my beliefs. This is definitely a book for those with a basic knowledge of feminism and a desire to learn more.
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it
This book was okay, but much of it I feel I have already read about in other books, blog entries, etc. Also, it's kind of weird to read a book about feminist in-fighting. I would probably have enjoyed it a few years ago when I was just starting to discover feminism, and it's probably better suited to newbies.
Emily Dahl
Feb 18, 2009 Emily Dahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, wost
This was a fantastic history of the women's movement. It gave a concise, yet comprehensive, history of the second and third waves of feminism; examining the conflicts, defeats, and triumphs that have led us to where we are today. A great read for anyone looking for an in-depth and accessible Feminism 101 Reader.
Cinnamon
Oct 15, 2012 Cinnamon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview that lays out some of the battles within finish as well as those it has had with patriarchy. Highly suggested as an initial read by anyone new to feminist thought. Consider it a summary of all the people you should read more from.
Katherine
Jan 12, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: gender, not-owned
A short and cogent look at the last 40 years of U.S. feminism...but I admit I was a little suspicious of its research when the intro misquoted the infamous 1990s talking Barbie as saying "Math is hard" (nope, it was "Math class is tough"--not great, but there IS a difference). Yes, I'm just that picky!

There are a few errors, but this is mostly very well-done. A good intro to those who aren't that familiar with this territory, and a fast read for those of us who feel compelled to read every majo
Aiko
Mar 12, 2014 Aiko rated it liked it
Certainly an interesting and relevant topic (Just change "Myspace" to "tumblr"), but I felt that the execution of it could have been better. While I feel that it's great for learning a general history of feminism as well as about its current movements, I wanted Siegel to go into more analysis with less fact-spewing.
Lauren
Jan 26, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, helpful read that outlines the history of the feminist movement while explaining and exploring some of the tension and infighting that has plagued it. While it may be too general for a women's studies major, I was happy to have Siegel review some of the basics about the first and second waves so that this member of the third wave could be clear on why we don't always get along (issues of race, class, and sexual orientation are definitely at play). I read it in two hours - a gre ...more
Craig
This is kind of a misnamed book. Near the end the author says we should retire the term sisterhood and then focuses on the future of Feminism. So why isn't it called Feminism, Past and Present or something like that?

A quick read and some interesting stories but mostly it's personal essays by the author who probably spends too much time focusing on certain celebs or female leaders while ignoring others who are surprisingly omitted.

Did I learn anything major about the feminist movement during the
Carrie
Mar 13, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: You know who you are
This book should be read by anyone studying the current state of the modern womanhood.
It gave a great, though I am sure biased, overview of second wave feminism.

I actually respected and possibly now like Betty Freiden. Though I am making judgements based on this one book. So I expect to be wrong with the next book I read.

Its discussion of feminism as a WASP phenomenon is totally worth having and me in my baby feminism dabbling had yet to fully realize.
Lasca
Feb 23, 2009 Lasca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really THICK book, with loads of info, but gave me some new insights, & perspectives on the wider contemporary feminist movement, as well as reviewing a lot of the history/ divisions within the women's movement. Helped me understand a little more about the current ebb of women avoiding/ being apathetic to some of the issues. I left it feeling more motivated to act/ be involved. Also gives a hefty list of resources.
Reedz0r
Oct 15, 2011 Reedz0r rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i wanted to like this more. it was mostly a recounting of tales from feminism's history, which is important, but i didn't feel like this book was pushing any new ideas. if you don't know much about the feminist movement and want to learn more, this might be a decent place to start.

personally, i'll give a book a certain number of pages to catch my interest. i tried, but this book didn't compel me to read it in its entirety.
Mike Lindgren
A spry, thoughtful primer on the history of feminism and the dissensions and schisms therein. Siegel's thesis boils down to a plea for reconciliation between aging boomer radicals and the irreverent "third wave" that has supplanted them, but the main value of this book, at least to this curious non-expert, is its vivid and concise summary of the major developments, personalities, and ideas in postwar feminism.
Kate
Sep 11, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
This book is somewhat interesting but mostly pretty basic stuff. It is a brief history of feminism in terms of second wave versus third wave, their similarities and differences. It could be more interesting to someone with less knowledge, but to the well read third wave feminist it is likely to be a bit boring.
Carli
Nov 05, 2007 Carli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, feminist
This is a great introduction to some of the major landmarks of the feminist movement and the main controversies between feminist schools. For anyone who just wants the basics on 20th and 21st century feminism, this is a 4-star. An easy, informative read. Long live the sisterhood!
Layne
Aug 08, 2008 Layne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but as more of a history and a reference than an argument--its point, that women should find common ground and work for change, is hardly original, but Siegel tells a lot of interesting stories about the 70's and 90's and includes a great bibliography.
Jenine
Dec 02, 2015 Jenine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure this book will be interesting or useful to someone but I felt like I was trudging through a history book, which wasn't exactly interesting for me.
There is a great deal of information if you're looking for a history of feminism though.
Adrian
Aug 11, 2013 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sisterhood, Interrupted is a terrific overview of the women's movement from about 1963 to 2007. Perfect for anyone who's interested in an introduction to the key people, texts, and ideas of second and third wave feminism.
Cherie
Aug 24, 2007 Cherie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminists
B- Really this book didn't offer anything new; maybe a women's studies history lesson, telling me a few new stories. However, the narrative was way too all over the place and the chronology was off. Interesting for feminists.
Kristen Northrup
This seemed to be a good U.S. Feminist History 101 sort of book, which is at my level. It's unfortunate (and telling?) that the bibliography is full of anthologies from the mid-90s but not much of anything more current.
Bryony Gundy
This book provides a general history of feminism in the U.S that I found interesting on times. But, I personally did not like the writing style which meant that I found the book really hard to get into.
Virginia
Nov 10, 2008 Virginia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has added wonderfully to my thinking about feminism and exactly where we are today. She gives a lot of recent history of feminism that grounds the story. It is also a very good read.
Evamaria
Mar 28, 2011 Evamaria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Very interesting and quite concise overview of US feminism and the differences of opinion not just between second and third wavers but also the different approaches inside the movements.
Missy Meegan
Apr 30, 2010 Missy Meegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn about feminism
Shelves: goodreads
This book provides the best history of the second and third wave feminist movement in the United States I have read to date. Siegel proves that sisterhood isn't dead, its just interrupted!
MM
Apr 18, 2008 MM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent little book on the history of feminism. Siegal emphasizes fractures in the movement, adding much-needed texture and complexity to our historical considerations.
peaseblossom
Oct 24, 2007 peaseblossom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sisters doing it for themselves
This is a readable, concise history of second and third wave feminism, touching on the major themes and movements, and the struggle for definition. Definitely read this one.
Mscout
Apr 01, 2011 Mscout rated it liked it
Not a heavy duty history, and no real new ground broken here, but if you're looking for a quick look over the last 40 or so years, you could do a lot worse.
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist
  • Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975
  • Dear Sisters: Dispatches from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, and the Future
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America
  • Listen Up: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation
  • Feminism and Pop Culture
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • Where the Girls Are: Growing Up Female with the Mass Media
  • The Feminist Promise: 1792 to the Present (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments