Start by marking “Tvrtka” as Want to Read:
Tvrtka

Tvrtka

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  410,528 ratings  ·  3,246 reviews
Kada je mladi pravnik John Grisham u ožujku 1991. objavio Tvrtku, svoj drugi roman, nije ni slutio kakav će obrat nastupiti u njegovom životu! Pet godina i pedeset milijuna prodanih knjiga kasnije, uz sedam objavljenih i četiri ekranizirana romana, John Grisham je s pravom proglašen za najuspješnijeg pisca devedesetih. Od ožujka 1991. nije bilo niti jednog tjedna bez barem ...more
Published 1993 by Algoritam, Zagreb (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Tvrtka, please sign up.

Clay I was disappointed with The Firm. It starts out good, but when the hero abandons the FBI and strikes out on his own, I'm thinking, "Huh?". I like…moreI was disappointed with The Firm. It starts out good, but when the hero abandons the FBI and strikes out on his own, I'm thinking, "Huh?". I like Grisham's books, but what makes them interesting is the court battles and what goes on in the courts. When the hero abandoned the indictments I was let down, but I had made it that far and so had to finish reading it.
The hero comes off as a snarky, arrogant, little twerp. I almost hoped he got killed by those guys to be honest. And the stupid thing with breaking his brother out of prison. Huh? Dude, you got the loot and a wife in danger. You better just get the hell out of there. This is one Grisham book that I wish I would have never read. Yeah, it might make a good movie for some ignorant teenager, but for the adult, it would flop.(less)

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
I thought this was a poor book at best. Then I read this lovely headline today.

And the innocent friend?

It's a good thing he became an author. He would make a rather poor defense attorney.
Dan Martin
Oct 20, 2014 Dan Martin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ...
it's not that this book necessarily deserves a 1, being the worst score possible, but... it's just so fucking dumb. I only finished it because I'm stuck in between 4 rice fields in japan, and the only reading I had available in english was. well. the label on my pepsi bottle.
IF you happen to be a 40-50 year old (white)man, and like reading about "6 figures", then I'll understand you liking this book.
Hhere's a taste.

"And, don't worry McDeere (former star college quarterback), The firm will front
Amy (Foxy)
I read this back when it was first released in 1991! At the time I was a teenager who was getting on a plane to visit relatives and I needed something to read to pass the time. THE FIRM distracted me the for the long plane trip.

Just recently I was at the used bookstore looking for a book for my teenage son to read while he is gone for the next 10 weeks working at a Boy Scout camp as a lifeguard. The series he is reading wasn't available so I started searching for an alternative. The only books
AL Maturan
This was the first novel I've read of John Grisham and it inspired some of the most important decisions of my life. It affected me so much that it irrevocable changed my life for all eternity. (I'm probably exaggerating but most of it's true.)

First of all, because of this book, I took up Accounting as my major in college. This book painted a very exciting picture of how an accountant's life could be very exciting. It showed how he could steal from the Mob and get away with it. Who wouldn't want
Chidambaram Annamalai
Mitchell McDeere graduates from Harvard Law and is about to begin his career as a lawyer. Blessed with superhuman capabilities handed down generously by Mr.Grisham himself, Mitch finds no trouble in getting nailing three top job offers: two from from Wall Street, one from Memphis. Among other things, Mitch graduates with top honors, is among the top five in his class, was a quarterback at school, is an athlete (but his diet is mainly alcohol and cheeseburgers for the remainder of the novel), wor ...more
Brooke Hargett
This book was fantastic! Loved every second of it. A few weeks ago it came on TV and I was saying "this is a great movie!" but within minutes I realized I had NOT seen it! I was thinking of A Few Good Men! Who knew I had never seen The Firm?? My husband said he'd read it years ago and it was one of the best books he'd ever read. So, I DVRd the movie and went to get the book (I didn't watch the movie yet, but I've heard it was a disappointment from the book... of course right???)

I seriously could
Alaina Patterson
This is quick, because I can't imagine anyone who has never read a Grisham novel/watched a 'film' adaptation of a Grisham novel/read a book review of a Grisham novel/watched that episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun all those years ago where the family goes into Witness Protection for some reason and they're all reading different Grisham novels, and when they realize the plot is exactly the same, they switch books and continue reading and sure enough, the plot is exactly the same. And yes, I've just ...more
James Thane
Mitch McDeere is near the top of his Harvard Law School graduating class and can virtually have his pick of jobs with high-powered Wall Street firms. But at the last minute, he agrees to an interview with a small Memphis firm, Bendini, Lambert & Locke. The firm's search committee has carefully vetted Mitch and has selected him as their number one draft pick for the year. They bring Mitch and his wife Abby to visit Memphis and make him an offer that is too good to refuse.

Mitch accepts the off
Roya
DNF at p.64

Whenever I have problems, I resort to reading fiction. This usually seems to assuage the pain that is reality, but sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes the plot is so banal and unexciting that you just put your book down, stare at the ceiling, and think about every single thing that can possibly go wrong over the next sixty years.

So I only started reading this because I can't handle seeing a movie first if it's based on a book.

And my parents want to see the movie adaptation of this wi
Alex
The Firm by John Grisham
The Firm by John Grisham will draw you into a situation where the choices you make not only affect you, but also the people who depend on you. When a young lawyer named Mitch McDeere has to choose between staying with a corrupt business or doing the right thing.The decisions that are made throughout the book are told by the lawyer Mitch.
The story is centered around Mitch McDeere. He finished 3rd in his class at Harvard Law School. All the top law firms are trying to get
C.J. Caron
An absolutely amazing book. One I wish I had wrote.

Mitchell McDeere is sought after by one of the country's top law firms. Bendini, Lamdert & Locke from Memphis wants Mitchel and offer him wealth and a chance to start his promising legal career in ernest in exchange for his loyalty and service. They agree to pay his student loans, find him a new home, even offer him a brand new car. All this is too much for Mitchell to pass up, so he forgoes offers from firms in New York and Chicago and agre
Chris
Snap! I forgot all about Grisham when I putting in the crap books - thanks Conrad. Summer of '92, we were staying in a cabin off Devil's Lake in Michigan near my aunt's; I finished off the books I'd read and was unable to convince anyone in my family to play "D-Day To the Rhine", the WW2 strategy game I bought in Anarbor, but luckily my aunt had stocked our cabin with a whole slew of Grisham.

I think I read this in a day, and since the last paragraph was pure memoir that has nothing to do with th
Neja
This book is really interesting, well written and absolutely irresistible. I'm on a mission to read every book that Grisham wrote, because his books never disappoint me.
Arunkumar Mahadevan Pillai
The sole reason I started reading this book was that it was the only literature at hand at my new place. Can you say b-o-r-i-n-g?

Now I feel I have to slog through the remaining 100 pages or so of mindless 'furiously-paced thrills' just so that I can start on my new acquisitions (Bradbury, Pratchett, Adams, Lovecraft, Jordan, Eco ...)

Highly recommended for beginners and people who don't know what a good book really should be.

Update: I can't take it anymore. Dropped!
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. My first Grisham novel, I thought this was a fun, fast read with a very interesting plot. Being an attorney (in fact reading this while I was a first year law student) I think both helped andhindered my enjoyment of the book. On the positive side, I really liked the setting and relate to Mitch. On the negative side, I was also able to see the "flaws" in some of the major plot points. However, overall I enjoyed it.
Jake
I felt dirty for enjoying this book, hence the three stars. You can't help but power through Grisham's story but it is just so incredibly mindless and over-the-top that I am almost certainly dumber for having read it.
If I remember correctly it was the poor character development that really pissed me off - the protagonist is superhuman in every way, it's as if Grisham has just selected Mitch's qualities from a moronically obvious list titled 'characteristics that will appeal to pulp corporate th
Julianne
I recently realized 1) I've never read any of John Grisham's novels and 2) that's a shame. So I picked this up at the library a couple trips ago, when I found myself browsing in the G's. Why The Firm rather than The Client or The Associate? My grandfather, a former lawyer, happened to mention it in a conversation a couple months ago, so the title was on my mind.

My main impression is that this is the kind of pulp that no one will read 100 years from now (thank goodness). It reminded me very stron
Salymar
An excellent legal thriller. One of John Grisham's best novels.

The story centers on a young intelligent lawyer, Mitch Mcderee who takes a job with a tremendous firm, having been seduced by their huge financial offerings.

After he was hired by `The Firm,' almost everything started great. The firm loves him very much that they even pay back all of his student loans and also furnished his new house in his beautiful new neighborhood because they said it is to make him feel at home. The lives of Mitc
Lynn
Continuing my books-into-movies world tour 2012, I thought I would check out the book that brought John Grisham to the attention of the world. While I enjoyed the movie but can now see that much of the book's charm was not adequately translated to the screen. This was a terrific read from start to finish and Grisham knows how to keep a plot moving briskly. I really liked this one. More than I thought I would if I'm completely honest.
سمية عبد العزيز

تحذير: لا تقرأ الملخص الخلفي لأنه يحرق مفاجأة الرواية*

فكرة الرواية مختلفة, طالب في قسم المحاماة, من الأوائل على دفعته, يتلقى عروض عمل من أكبر الشركات, لكن أحد العروض كان فوق مختلف عن كل العروض الأخرى

سيحبها كل من يميل لروايات الإثارة والأكشن
حولت إلى فيلم بنفس إسم الرواية الإنجليزي
the firm
Joyzi
Apr 27, 2012 Joyzi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kalalakihan (men)
Recommended to Joyzi by: goodreads
I'm quite surprised reading this because I thought this book will be like The Litigators (the first Grisham book that I've read) wherein the focus will be the courtroom and a trial. However, this book is about this rookie tax lawyer who was hand-picked to work in this law firm in Memphis. The firm gave him a high salary, a house with a low interest mortgage and a brand new car. He was offered a lot of material things and because he was not that rich he accepted the offer. Later on he found out t ...more
Tony Taylor
Hard to believe, but there was a time when the word "lawyer" wasn't synonymous with "criminal," and the idea of a law firm controlled by the Mafia was an outlandish proposition. This intelligent, ensnaring story came out of nowhere--Oxford, Mississippi, where Grisham was a small-town lawyer--and quickly catapulted to the top of the bestseller list, with good reason. Mitch McDeere, the appealing hero, is a poor kid whose only assets are a first-class mind, a Harvard law degree, and a beautiful, l ...more
Maythavee
This was my first John Grisham novel and it won’t be my last. I really enjoyed The Firm!

I didn’t know what I expected from this book when I first started it but I knew that something was fishy about the Bendini, Lambert and Locke firm. I mean, seriously they were just so creepy asking all those questions about family and stuff. For such an intelligent man, Mitch can be dumb and ignorant sometimes. I understand the need to be the best and to make loads of money but wow; he took the meaning of wo
Liz
It's very, um, thick. Full of detail. Like, so much detail that it's about a third of the way through before the plot actually really begins. Mitch was kinda flat, though. Everybody was treating him as though he was a much more rounded character than he really was.
I mean, I'm not complaining: John Grisham still managed to keep me reading, but maybe that was just because there were people conducting subterfuges.

Still, the lawyers not suspecting what was going on, when they had all the EVIDENCE in
Mark Sullivan
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
I saw the film prior to reading the book!! It was an amazing experience!! Based on this book I saw many films in different languages!! But this plot is very gripping!! JG's regular ransom and legal aspects r very interesting!!

The characterization of the main lead from a recent college passout to a leading lawyer was very nice!! Narration is very gripping!!

Mr. Grisham writes with such relish about the
firm's devious legal practices that his novel
might be taken as a how-to manual for
ambitious tax-l
Drew
Pretty clumsy writing for a lawyer. More importantly, I couldn't stand the main character, Mitch McDeere. Critics gushed about how he's a likable everyman, but to me he was a major asshole. He's excessively competent, has many of those characteristics we associate with TV geniuses (like a photographic memory), stays ice cold under pressure, and proves time and again that he's smarter than a whole firm of experienced lawyers, plus the Mafia and the FBI. We never get a hint of uncertainty from him ...more
Gautam
A tactfully crafted novel that pumps adrenaline relentlessly. Tension rises with each page and Grisham managed ingeniously to keep the pace on a steady-rise basis. Although I found some cracks in the plot here and there,they are negligible comparing with the exhilaration it had given to me. One hell of a read. Good job Grisham.
3.8 stars on 5!
-gautam
Scott Rhee
"The Firm" was the first Grisham novel I read, and I suppose if I didn't see a glimmer of good story-telling in it, it may have been my last. I found the story of the young idealistic fledgling lawyer who discovers that the law firm he is working for is run by the mafia to be somewhat lame. The characters struck me as somewhat flat, and the novel was cliche-ridden and predictable. That said, I did not completely hate it. (And it was certainly much better than the awful Tom Cruise film version.) ...more
Sirpa
My first Grisham book I read. I was expecting my first child and my husband walked in. The characters were just figuring out how to escape the situation they were in without being caught... no spoilers here - I was SO in the book that when I came back to present, my legs were jelly! I honestly don't think I could have gotten up from my chair. '') This was a really good read. I enjoyed the suspense, and after reading this one, I have read most of John Grisham's books.
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • Presumed Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #1)
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Absolute Power
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12)
  • The Aquitaine Progression
  • Disclosure
  • Judge & Jury
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • Eye of the Needle
  • Vital Signs (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #2)
  • Master of the Game
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • The Tenth Justice
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...
A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1) The Client The Pelican Brief The Runaway Jury The Rainmaker

21 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“[you’ll acquire] A certain amount of cynicism. This business works on you. When you were in law school you had some noble idea what a lawyer should be. A champion of individual rights; a defender of the Constitution; a guardian of the oppressed; an advocate for your client’s principles. Then after you practice for six months you realize you were nothing but hired guns. Mouthpieces for sale to the highest bidder, available to anybody, any crook, any sleazebag with enough money to pay your outrageous fees. Nothing shocks you. It’s supposed to be an honorable profession, but you’ll meet so many crooked lawyers you’ll want to quit and find an honest job. Yeah Mitch, you’ll get cynical. And it’s sad, really.” 10 likes
“Any lawyer worth his salt knew the first offer had to be rejected.” 7 likes